Copyright (c) 2014 by GJAN Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
GJAN -- Blogmeister

GJAN

F - L 2011-2012

by GJAN

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Article posted June 15, 2009 at 08:53 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 121

Article posted May 27, 2009 at 10:33 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 55

Our project in science was to make a question for yourself about road kill (for example: what time of day where most animals killed, where were most killed, what animal was killed most, what size animal was killed most etc, etc.).After you make a question you take the research from previous years,(our teacher had a graph of what animals were found, where they were found, the surrondings of the animal, ect, ect) since the 90's.For my project I chose to find out which top three roadsthat had the most road kill recorded, in 2007, 2008, and 2009. I found the answer sepratly for all of the year, then the overall for all three years together.My original hypothesis was that ocean boulevard would have the most roads kill.I thought this because it has an ocean on one side and a forest on the other. Both are major habitats for animals and the road is very long, so i figured it must have alot of road kill.

What I discovered after I had conducted my research was that: in 2007, the top three streets with the most road kill were 1).Central road with 8 recorded kills. 2). Washington road with 6 recorded kills and 3). Sagamore road with 5 recorded kills. I conducted the same experiment with the data from 2008 and 2009. The outcomes of 2008 are: 1). Sagamore road with five kills. 2). Ocean boulevard with 4 kills and 3). A tie between Wentworth Street and Bracket road with 3 kills apiece. The data for 2009 is: 1). Sagamore road with 8 kills. 2). Wallis road with 6 kills. and 3). A tie between Washington road and Portsmouth Avenue with 4 kills apiece. The last part of my research was to find out which three roads had the most road kill over all for ’07, ’08, and ’09. The results of that were: 1). Sagamore with 19 recorded overall kills. 2). Central road with 12 overall kills. and 3). Washington road with 11 overall kills.

The outcome was not what I expected it to be. As you already know my hypothesis was that ocean boulevard would have the most roads kill. That was incorrect, Sagamore road had the most. There were three important variables that could have and probably did affect my outcome. The first and most important variable is where people of the grade that was taking the data lived. For example: if three students live on long john road one year most of the road kill will be spotted because more eyes will notice it, but if the next year only one person lives on long john road, less road kill will be spotted/ noticed. The second variable is that one animal could be spotted by two different people and be accidently recorded twice but no one would notice, so that could bump an extra number up on a road. For example: if there is one squirrel found on Sagamore road, but three different people see it and all record it, what should have been one animal is now three for that road. The last variable and the most minor is that people could record the wrong street accidentally. They could see a dead animal on Wentworth road but accidentally record it as central road.  

For next year I would predict that Sagamore road will be the leader. I think this because in 2008 and 2009 Sagamore road was the winner. It was also the winner of the overall (’07, ’08, ’09). If I conducted this experiment again, I would examine more closely about where the majority of the grade lived so I could know what to expect. And I would be more careful, as to check to see if there were any double records.

Article posted May 13, 2009 at 10:33 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

this is what we did for an art project in art class. we had to make shoes out of claay, then we fired them to harden them

Article posted May 8, 2009 at 09:07 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 61

In this graph you can see the amount of road kill that was found in the rye and newcastle area over the course of 7 weeks. week one and seven have the most roadkill and everywhere inbetween varies. I thought that is was suprising how many animals were killed per week by cars in these two small towns.

Article posted April 23, 2009 at 08:41 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 74

Do you think you can change the world? Maybe not, but if you at least want to change your area for the better and you need an idea or a little support, this would be a great book for you. “Seedfolks” is the name of the book and it is by Paul Fleischman. It is about a little girl that starts a small garden in a junk yard but it turns out being a huge community project. Our whole school read this book, and then we had to do a project. The first part of the project was to read the book and as we were reading it, take notes on all of the people. The second step was to pick two of the names off of the chart that we took notes on and make a row with more information about them. From there the project was to make 2 seed packets, 1 of somebody in the book and the plant they grew, and one with somebody in your life and a plant that they are most like. The seed packet had to be a piece of paper folded in half with a picture and quote of the person on the front and some characteristics and qualities that the plant and the person share. I chose Sam, who is a nice gut that plants pumpkins and my little brother who is annoying and small so I made him a Lilly of the valley.     

Article posted April 6, 2009 at 09:23 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 64

Acid rain is very harmful to our planet; it falls from clouds all around the world every single day. Acid rain kills plants and trees and deteriorates metals and types of rocks. It is formed mostly by power plants, the smokestacks, but also comes from many other sources such as cars and houses.

We create it but we can help reduce it in many ways. One way is to plan out trips before you go so you now where you are going and you don’t waste any extra fuel … scrubbers, filters, biking, planning trips, carpooling, and  walking also help, so do your best!

Article posted March 17, 2009 at 03:09 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 58

For my flag, i have a picture of the world with antarctica in the middle, this shows that almost everyone participates in keeping antarctica a clean safe and healthy place. The pole in the middle of antarctica is to represent the south pole. The helicopter in the upper right hand corner is there because using a helicopter is a very good and effecient way to get around in antarctica. The penguins in the lower left hand corner are there because there are many penguins in antarctica. The people on the glacier on the right hand side o f the globe are supposed to be explorers hiking and scaling a glacier. The mountains and glaciers in the backround are there to represent all of the mountains and glaciers in Antarctica.

Article posted March 3, 2009 at 10:59 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 94

Dear Mom and Dad,

We have a project in math class were in which we have to write a note home to our parents about what we learned in module 1.  A module is like a chapter in our book. One of the main things that we worked on in the first module was using frequency tables and graphing. We learned how to make and use frequency tables and we did a project on it. A frequency table is a table that has three columns. The columns are labeled, the subject, tallies, and total.The project was on probability my partner Taylor and I got a big bag of sour patch kids filled with 145 kids and put them into a bag. We picked out 1 sour patch kid at a time 145 times and recorded our data on a frequency table. It was a lot of fun.   

Another thing that we worked on was order of operations. I thought that this was very interesting and important because we will use it a lot in our future. A way to help you remember what the order if operations is, you can think of pemdas. Pemdas is mnemonic device. The p stands for parenthesis the e stands for exponents the m stands for multiplication the d stands for division the a stands for addition and the s stands for subtraction. So if you have a problem that is like ten times fifteen divided by nine times three minus forty seven, you would know how to solve it. We also had some quizzes that had many questions on the order of operations.

Overall I like math class. We do a lot of fun things and interesting things that will help us in our future and we do some fun games and experiments. I liked learning about experimental and theoretical probability. I didn’t like doing long homework assignments though because then I would sometimes have to get up in the morning to finish or work late at night to finish. I liked learning about frequency tables but I didn’t like filling big frequency tables up. Overall I think that math is interesting fun.    I think that we are doing a lot of good stuff in math class, some of it is challenging and pushes me some isn’t.

Article posted February 3, 2009 at 11:18 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 47

This picture was assighned in art class,we had to draw the still life in the middle of the class room from where ever we sat down so everybody drew it differently because everyone had a different point of veiw.  I was in the back right hand corner from the front of the still life.  The way we drew it was we drew an outline with pencil then we went over the pencil in hot glue then we used pastels to color the picture in.

I thought it was hard to draw it. Partly because i am not a good artist but also because it was a bunch of random things like penguins, tennis raquets, buckets ect put together on a table and we had to draw them all clustered together. In the end i thought it was fun.

http://www.picvault.info/images/537085922_gjan%20G.jpg

Article posted February 2, 2009 at 08:56 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

Weather comes and goes but my love for you is forever 

My love for you is as thhick as the ross ice shelf 

When you walk into a room the air pressure rises