Copyright (c) 2014 by SJCU Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
SJCU -- Blogmeister

Sjcu

R - Z 2011-2012

by SJCU

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Article posted June 15, 2009 at 08:51 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 219

Article posted May 22, 2009 at 08:55 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 225

My hypothesis for my roadkill project was both wrong and right. I said that the numbers of roadkill would decrease over the years but really the numbers were pretty random. Overall they did decrease but not rapidly, it went up and down like a roller coaster. Over the ten years though there’s been less roadkill, the first recorded roadkill year was all the way at 69 but now for 2008 it’s only at 46. I thought the numbers of roadkill would decrease because I thought the animal population would go down because of construction and hunting. For the most part Rye and New Castle have been environmentally friendly but there are still hunters. I think some animals either left or died over the years because there seems to be a drop in population. There’s also another reason that there’s less roadkill, people are starting to care. There are precautions of using cell phones in the car because it makes the reaction time slower so people will be able to see animals before they hit them. So in the end, I think my hypothesis was pretty accurate.

My results for the roadkill graph were not really surprising. The first year I put down on my data (1999) it was really high, it was at 69 then it dropped all the way to 38 the next year (2000). The results were pretty much like a roller coaster, they kept going up and down but not drastically, the only big drop was at the beginning. There was a pretty big number of roadkill in 2004 though, 63, in 2003 it was 45. I think the data is like this because roadkill is for the most part pretty random. I think over the years animals have gotten a little bit smarter because their kind keeps being run over by cars. I also think that if there’s a big number of roadkill in a year, then there’s a big number of animal population. It would seem that in 1998 (when we were more environmentally friendly than today) there was the most roadkill which would make sense.

I suppose that the recorded data makes sense because the population of animals over the years has changed so that the number of roadkill would change too, if the animal population was high, so was the roadkill that year. I don’t think that there were any or very few errors in this project, I got my information from http://www.ryejrhigh.org/roadkill/index.htm and my teacher made and edited it. I think that the surroundings could have had an effect on my hypothesis; I think they aided it because I said that the number of roadkill would decrease. The surroundings would help my hypothesis because they would help the animals, if it was a narrow road they could get to the other side quicker, if the surroundings didn’t look like the animal, the driver would be able to see the animal and have time to react. I would say that the variable that most affected my research though was population, if there aren’t many animals, then there isn’t going to be a lot of roadkill. Those are the two biggest variables in my opinion.

Next time I really don’t think I’d change my project that much. I think I would probably take the data from more years like from 2009 to 1995 or so. Overall I think I did pretty well in this project, I wouldn’t change my source and I would make a new topic because I think the topic I have now is pretty informative.

Article posted May 13, 2009 at 10:33 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 58

This picture was an assignment we had in art class. It was really fun let me work out my creativity. Lots of people did a good job on it and they had really good ideas.

Article posted May 8, 2009 at 08:54 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 57

http://www.picvault.info/images/537088950_New%20Picture%20%281%29.jpg  

I noticed that the animal that died the most was the gray squirrel because it has a large population in Rye and New Castle. I also noticed the mink had the smallest amount of deaths because of its tiny population in Rye and New Castle.

Article posted May 7, 2009 at 09:50 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

For the Earthcast 09 we worked in groups. We made powerpoints with facts that we had to find on the internet on topics our group was assigned to. For example, my group had to come up with facts that had to do with technology that effected the earth like the type of power people use such as wind power or nuclear power. We had to make the facts into multiple choice questions and put them in a power point. We had to make an asnwer key at the end as well. Then we had to decide who was going to say what and we practiced our presentation. The next day we broadcasted and that was the end of it. 

Article posted April 6, 2009 at 09:15 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 229

Acid rain comes from fossil fuel waste and pollution. Acid rain comes in two forms, nitric and sulfuric acid. Nitric acid is caused from gasoline, oil, and deisel fuels. It comes from really anything that's a liquid fossil fuels. The sun heats up the fuels and they become just a moisture that drifts up and gets into the moisture in the air and becomes storm clouds. They can travel fifty to three hundred miles! Sulfuric acid comes from coal. Coal gets burned at power plants and the smoke drifts to clouds. It takes a longer time than nitric acid but it travels farther, it can go five hundred to fifteen hundred miles!

Even though there are many negatives to acid rain, there are solutions. The effects of acid rain are the polltuion of of oceans, pollutes drinking water, and ruins limestone, marble, and metal. The solutions are to burn less fossil fuels, scrubbers, and use alternative energy. Scrubbers collect sulfur and if you drive hybrids you use less fuel. Tell people what they can do to help so that you're not the only person who knows what to do.

Article posted March 3, 2009 at 11:15 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 53

My Successful Stocks

The stocks that I chose were successful for the most part. The stocks I chose were McDonalds, Wal-mart, and Apple. The reason I chose McDonalds was because they’re very successful throughout the world, the even have McDonalds in China! I know McDonalds is successful because there are four McDonalds’ restaurants in my area. I chose Wal-mart because they’ve started to get really successful; they’ve opened a super-center near me and took down a “Jokers” building for their parking lot. My last stock is Apple; I invested in Apple because a lot of people in my class invested in it. The other reason is because they have so many expensive products that everyone buys!

There are not many changes I would want to make to my stocks, however, there are two. The first is I wish I hadn’t gone with Wal-mart because I got a loss of money from them, bringing down my total profit, it was a good choice it just didn’t end well. The second is I wish I had gone with Google because a bunch of my friends went with Google and they got a big profit from it. If I had replaced Wal-mart with Google, I would’ve had around one thousand dollars.

I don’t have much advice to give to people. My advice is to go with your gut, if you think a company is successful and it will get you money, then you should go for it. If you have even the slightest doubt about a company, don’t go with it, I had a doubt about Wal-mart and it lost me a lot of money. My second word of advice is to not sell your stocks right when things start to go wrong because that’s what happened at the beginning of my investments and then the prices went up again. If you sell your stocks, it will only further hurt the economy.

Article posted March 3, 2009 at 11:09 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 52

Flag

In the top right corner I have a crossed out gun for no violence because if there was weapons testing in Antarctica, weapons testing could destroy Antarctica with gun fire and bombs. In the top left corner I have a crossed out flag for no possession, if a country owns Antarctica it could pollute it and affect the wildlife there or even mess up the climate. In the bottom left corner I have a penguin to show recognition of the animals there. In the bottom right I have a scientist to show that only scientists should be allowed to be there, for research.

Article posted February 3, 2009 at 11:16 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 64

This is my still life and I drew it in art class and i think this view of the still life captures a lot of action. It shows two penguins, a softball, a bucket, and a model sandcastle. There is definately good color in this picture but the color is a little messy because of the materials i used and just classic bad art skills. In this picture a penguin with orange head-hair is behind a softball and another penguin is in a big red bucket and the sandcastle model is in the background. This was a good thing to draw because one, it's easy to draw and two, again, it has very good color.

The materials I used in this project were basically just pastels. They are very messy if you don't use them write and I really wasn't that careful with them so, it was kind of a mess. Every once in a while i would use a paper towel to clean up the excess pastel and that smudged everything. However, before the pastel, I obviously used pencil to just sketch it out. After the pencil I used glue to trace out the pencil lines I had drawn so there was some texture to the picture instead of just the rough and messy pastel. The last thing i did was add color with the pastel and it didn't really come out the way i wanted it to but, hey, it was finished.

Article posted February 2, 2009 at 08:57 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 75

-You're the nitrogen in my air of life

-When I see you, my heart feels the air pressure of 14.7 pounds per square inch  

-When we're together I feel like I'm flying through a cirrostratus cloud 

-When I see you, I feel like I'm in the Jetstream                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Article posted December 18, 2008 at 12:14 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 179

A freezing cold rain storm hit New Hampshire on the eleventh of December and it seemed like the film “The Day After Tomorrow” . The rain froze on power lines, trees, and roads, causing great damage. Most people didn’t have power for a couple of days because the weight of the ice on the power wires broke the wires down. Schools were shut down and New Hampshire was in a state of emergency. Luckily for the kids it meant that they wouldn’t have to make up the school days they lost in the summer but they weren’t the ones who had to clean It all up. Some people still don’t have power, when they get home from work they just put on jackets and wait it out. Some people were lucky (like me)and they only had a few hours without power. For me I lost it early in the morning Friday (the day after the storm had started) for about ten seconds and lost it again at about six until nine. Trees that had been frozen over had started to fall apart because of the weight and a huge tree in my back yard lost a couple of main branches. Not a lot of people were driving that day and during the night it seemed like the end of the world because everyone had candles out instead of lights in their house and the town was in darkness. Most of the mess has been cleaned up but if this happens again it could be even more devastating.

Article posted December 11, 2008 at 09:49 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 47

In Antarctica there are many divers and we have recorded their depth and their length of time they can hold their breath.

Article posted December 8, 2008 at 08:58 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 108

This week in school we had Joe Flood come in and talk to us about drugs, sex, and rock’n roll. He started talking about the two main drugs, alcohol and marijuana. Marijuana is so popular because people like the taste and it helps people relax. What most people don’t know is that it gets caught in the blood stream and stays there. For boys, it kills sex organs which won’t help if they want to have kids when they grow up, for girls it takes out the fatty tissue in the eggs inside their body and damages their future kids. Alcohol takes out your lights, you have six lights, the first is thinking, if you have one or two beers, you stop thinking. The second light is motor skills which help you move and if you take that light out you won’t be able to function properly. The third light is your “safety nerd” that’s the one that tells you if you’re in danger and what to do and what’s the right thing, it’s the ultimate stress machine. If that gets taken out, then you won’t know what’s right or wrong, you’ll do anything! When the fourth light goes out, it’s an overdose and you pass out, that’s when people think you’re asleep and a say you’re “sleeping it off” but really, you’re about to puke. If you’re sitting on your back or your head is tilted back in anyway, you’ll vomit and choke to death. If you throw up and come to and decide to have another beer, you’ll have you’re fifth light go out and you’re in a mini-coma and without help, you’re sixth light goes out and you’re dead. Drugs ruin lives and take them away, what would happen if you used marijuana and alcohol at the same time or some other combination? Luckily we have people like Joe Flood who have been through it and warn us about the dangers of drugs and alcohol.

Article posted November 24, 2008 at 09:02 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

Ms. Ellwood goes to Antarctica every other year, and when she goes to Antarctica, she uses many different forms of technology. They use robots to go underwater and take pictures for them and sometimes they have to go down and fix it. They also have a very important, actually, mandatory technology in Antarctica, heating. Without heating, people wouldn’t be able to live in Antarctica because they’d freeze to death. They also have cooking, transportation, (in fact that’s how they got there). Of course brought laptops to graph different sets of data from algae mats, temperatures, or a robot’s performance. Of course there’s scuba diving equipment which is extremely important to divers when they’re going to go in the below-freezing water.

Without technology, people wouldn’t be able to visit Antarctica, let alone research the things there. Without transportation we wouldn’t be able to get to Antarctica, without heating we wouldn’t be able to live in Antarctica and without cooking we wouldn’t be able to eat, which also means we wouldn’t be able to survive. If we didn’t have computers in Antarctica then we would have a hard time processing information. If the researchers didn’t have diving suits they wouldn’t be able to see things for themselves and have a personal experience. Ms. Ellwood, if you had to pick one technology to get rid of, which would you choose, and how would it affect your group?

310hilkedata.JPGhttp://ryejrhigh.org/antarctica2008/

http://www.polartrec.org/node/6491

Article posted October 30, 2008 at 09:36 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 52