Copyright (c) 2014 by anthony m Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
anthony m -- Blogmeister

82

A cozy little stop where, technology in language arts, history and geography, meld together for Room 301 students at Deer Park.

by anthony m

teacher: Mr. D

Title: 81-82 Symbolism Reflection (03/24/09)
Description: Write a reflection explaining what symbolism is. Use examples from the novel (at least 4 examples).

Make sure to connect the examples to the meaning of symbolism.

As per usual this is due Sunday 11:59:59.

Ms. S

Article posted March 30, 2009 at 02:10 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 64

Symbolism is unarguably one of the most important literary techniques for keeping interest.  It allows the reader to stay involved by predicting future events in a storyline.  The most common method of this device is by many small hints placed throughout that create continuity when joined.  So how is symbolism used in the novel, Chanda’s Secrets?

Its main examples seem to be when the reader is trying to predict who has aids.  The clues grow exponentially, in that each prediction and answer, in fact, paves way for the next mystery.  The first example in these regards was how Sarah died.  The reader is able to predict this by the described symptoms of her death juxtaposed with the symptoms of Esther’s parents’ deaths.  Conveniently, these two are place near each other in the plot.  This answer creates another mystery of how Sarah receiver her ailment.  The only possibility seems to be from her mother, which becomes the next foresight.  After Jonah is found to have it, this almost confirms the theory.  A final use is with Esther.  When she reveals in puzzles that tourists have been involved in this sort of activity with her, this implies that she may get aids.

Symbolism can have many structures; in this case it’s a pyramid of information style.  Without it, much of the fun of reading would be removed.  Overall, however, it should be used sparingly, since if plotlines are too obvious, there is no point in reading on to get answers.

Article posted March 28, 2009 at 03:34 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 35

In Chanda’s secrets, the author uses symbols to add suspense to the story and add some clues to future events in Chanda’s life.

For instance, take pg. 97, “we don’t take strangers in our yard,” her uncle says at last “least of all strangers who circle our house. How do we know you’re not a thief?”

“I told you – I’m a friend of Esthers!”

“Like I said,” he replies grimly

I chose this as a symbol because Esthers uncle is hinting at the fact that he suspects (or knows) that Esther is participating in illicit activities and he (Esthers uncle) think that Chanda is helping/participating in these activities.

Another symbol is the white stork Chanda sees twice in real life and once in a dream. I think that the stork represents death because it visits during times when Chanda is confused or sad because of death. In her dream however, the stork saves her form falling in to the well where Jonah was found dead the next day…hmmm, connection?

Also, you can find another example on pg.135. Chanda is talking to her neighbors about her mom going to Tiro. Mrs. Lesole, comments about how new mothers need all the help they can get and elbows her husband. I think that this is hinting that Mrs. Lesole is pregnant or that she thinks that Mama is going to Tiro for other reasons…

As you can see, symbolism adds mystery and suspense to a story. It effectively captures a reader’s interest and adds more detail to the story. Also, symbolism helps an author explain points without having to go on lengthy explanations that bore the reader. For these reasons, symbolism is key to writing an interesting and informative story.