Well-I'm off to high school.  This year was great!  Thank you to my eighth grade classmates and teachers.  I will never forget any of you.  Thank you, Mrs. Ruffing!  Without you, I wouldn't be able to do any of the things I can now.  Readers-I hope you enjoyed reading my posts.  I loved writing them.  

Goodbye, grade school.  Hello, high school!

Ever heard of stocks?  Wall Street?  Well, I am going to tell you a little bit about the stock market, and hopefully you'll learn something. 

In a stock exchange, traders by and sell stocks.   People invest in stocks.  Sometimes the value of stocks can increase or decrease.  This is based on supply and demand.  When a company is successful, more people buy stocks.  When a company is not successful, people sell their shares of the stock.  This means that there are more stocks available when no one wants them, making the value of the stock decrease. 

The most famous stock exchange is the New York Stock Exchange.  This began in 1792 in a meeting under a tree on what is now Wall Street.  24 stockbrokers and merchants signed the Buttonwood Agreement, (the tree they stood under was a Buttonwood) which "set the terms of their new investment community...".   It was organized in 1817 and called, "The New York Stock Exchange".  The first European stock exchange was organized in 1840.   Now, there are major stock exchanges all over the world!

How does this whole thing work? Well, an investor buys stocks through a broker.  A broker acts as a mediator between the buyer and the seller.  The specialist completes the exchange.  All that can happen in LESS THAN A MINUTE! 

The Stock Market is a genius idea; it allows every citizen to invest in stocks! 

I hope you learned something!  I know I did. 

Article posted January 17, 2012 at 06:14 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 63

Saint Report   

I remember that day as if it were yesterday. I was walking on the green, rocky hills of my home, Ireland, when I saw a boy. He was tall and thin and looked the age of sixteen or seventeen, older than I. He was staring up at the sky with a fascinated expression on his freckled face, holding his shepherd’s crook and surrounded by sheep. I had never seen him before. The boy snapped out of his daydream when he saw me walking towards him. He grinned and extended his hand to shake mine“My name’s Patrick,” He said in a interesting brogue. "Born in Scotland, just got here. I’m a slave." That handshake began a friendship that would last my entire life. Patrick was my best friend throughout my youth. When he was out in the fields with his master’s flock of sheep, we’d talk from when the sun rose to when the sun set. Patrick was born in Scotland in the year 387. At the age of sixteen he was captured by pirates and sold as a slave to a chief named Miliucc here in Ireland. I loved the time we spent talking in the fields. Yet, every time we spoke, there would be one moment when Patrick’s face would brighten, his eyes starry, and he would look up into the sky. I would shake his shoulders to take him out of his trance. I’d say, “Patrick, are you alright?" He’d nod and grin. Yes, I’m alright." One day I walked upon the green grass to where Patrick watched Miliucc’s sheep. Patrick was on his knees, arms lifted, and staring up at the sky. When he noticed me, Patrick said, “I’ve heard a voice, Sharon! It’s the voice of God, I know it is. He says that there is a ship here to take me home! And I’ve seen it. There it is, Sharon!" He pointed to where a ship floated on the water, not too far from the shore. I was bewildered. Patrick was hearing voices? And who was this God he spoke of, I wondered. “If this God of yours has given you a ship home,” I said, “board that ship. I hope to see you again one day, my friend." We embraced and I gave him a teary kiss on the cheek. Patrick dropped his crook and ran down the green hills and to the shore, where he waited for the boat to come closer. Tears ran down my face as I turned away and walked home.  I did not see Patrick for a long, long time after that day. Years went by and I grew up. I was married to a chieftain named Dichu and he was a good man. One day I saw a ship sailing on the waters. When it reached the shore, many people got off the ship, yet one man stood out. He was wearing robes, a tall hat and was holding a beautiful shepherd’s crook. When he came closer, I realized it was the friend of my youth, Patrick! We embraced, crying and smiling. “Oh, Sharon,” Patrick said, “I have so much to tell you." We were standing on the fields where Patrick used to watch his master’s sheep. As we walked, Patrick told me that he had boarded that ship and soon after reunited with his family. He heard a voice telling him to return to Ireland. Patrick realized that it was his duty to spread the new faith by teaching it to the Irish people.He first became a bishop in England and served in Rome for many years. Then, he boarded a ship, leading many followers, and returned to Ireland, to his people. Patrick and Dichu became very good friends. Dichu gave one of our farm houses to Patrick, who turned it into the first church in Ireland. Patrick told me of God and Jesus, Mary and Joseph, heaven and hell, of the Holy Spirit, and the devil, Satan. Dichu and I followed this faith. Patrick preached the Catholic faith to a multitude of Irish. He was kind and caring, and the best man I ever knew. On March 17,461, Patrick died. His death was of natural causes and I was right beside him when the Lord took Patrick to join Him in heaven. I loved Patrick, and when it came time for the Lord to take me, I saw Patrick, his arms outstretched, smiling and ready to take me into his arms with God. Patrick taught me and thousands of Irish who God was, and I know that if he were still on Earth, he would want to preach that good news to the rest of the world.

I chose the name of Saint Patrick as my confirmation name. Saint Patrick was an extraordinary and passionate man who changed the lives of many Irish people. My ancestors where Irish, and I have a passion for Ireland, the Irish people, and their culture. My father’s name is Patrick and I thought it would be an honor to him if my saint name was the same has his name. Saint Patrick was a wonderful man and will be in my heart all my life.  

The stained glass window of Saint Patrick can be seen inside of the St. Anthony of Padua Church. The Catholic church is located on 1360 Pleasant Valley Way in West Orange, New Jersey, USA.

Photograph Copyright 2010 Loci B. Lenar.  It is under a CC license.  I got the image here-www.flickr.com/photos/lenarpoetry/4561606943/

Article posted November 28, 2011 at 03:32 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 41

I was just a tad bit disappointed to see that no one commented on my Ballet Pop Quiz, but that is alright.  Well, here are the answers.

1. The Nutcracker

2. Giselle

3.  Coppelia

4.  Don Quioxte

5.  Petrushka

6.  Swan Lake

7.  The Sleeping Beauty

8.  Romeo and Juliet

9.  A Midsummer Night's Dream

10.  Le Sylphide

Those are the CORRECT answers!  Maybe you gained some ballet knowledge from this quiz.  I  hope you learned something! 

Article posted November 5, 2011 at 12:19 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 51

Do you think you know your ballets? Here's a quiz!

1.  A girl dreams of her christmas gift coming to life and taking her to a land of sweets.

2.  A young woman dies of a broken heart when she discovers that her lover is engaged to another woman.

3.  A woman pretends to be a doll to save the life of her fiance.

4.  A crazy man is convinced that he is a knight and falls in love with the inn keeper's daughter.

5.  A  puppet comes to life at night, is murdered, and appears as a ghost.

6.  A prince falls in love with a Swan Queen.

7.  A princess pricks her finger on a needle on her 16th birthday and falls asleep for 100 years.

8.  A boy and a girl are in love while their families are enemies.

9.  Crazy  romances between humans and between fairies take place during one midsummer night.

10.  A Scottish man falls in love with a sylphide, a figure of his imagination, on his wedding day.  

Article posted November 1, 2011 at 07:02 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 64

Do you know what the Millennium Development Goals are?  In 2000, leaders of  the world gathered to establish 8 goals to complete by the year 2015.  These goals focus on distributing wealth, stopping the spread of deadly diseases, and providing good education for the world.  Click on this for more information.

The 8 MDGs are:

Goal 1:  Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger.

Goal 2:  Achieve universal primary education.

Goal 3:  Promote gender equality and empower women.

Goal 4:  reduce child mortality.

Goal 5:  Improve maternal health.

Goal 6:  Combat HIV/ AIDS, malaria and other diseases.

Goal 7:  Ensure environmental sustainability.

Goal 8:  Develop a Global Partnership for Development.

Aren't these great goals?  Progress has been made!  Global poverty is being reduced, equal numbers of people of each gender enrolling in schools has been noticeable,and  HIV/ AIDS treatments have increased.  Check out this website to learn more about treatments for AIDS.   The global economy has affected the progress of the MDGs, but, we have more time! 

I hope you learned something new, I know I did!

I got this picture here

Article posted September 17, 2011 at 08:34 AM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 57

After watching the Philadelphia Eagles win, my family and I finally got out of our PJs and into the sunlight. 

Now, ever since we got to Anchorage, my mother has OBSESSED with seeing a dall sheep on a mountain.  Obsessed. Whenever we drove along the Turnagain Arm to Aleyeska Resort, (which was quite often) we were all put on "Sheep Watch".  Apparently, the mountains we drove by in that certain area were favorites of the dall sheep.  

As we drove down to Aleyeska to walk the Winner Creek trail, we saw them!  Not one, but two! Standing triumphantly atop the wall of rock, looking down at us like a King or Queen would at their subjects.  My mother went  wild, and I must admit, so did I. Well, we all did.  

We got to Aleyeska within an hour.  I think that Aleyeska Resort is one of my favorite places we have been to in Alaska. We have been there so many times, I have lost count.  We took the Winner Creek trail, which takes you west of the resort.  (Or east? Anywho, far away.)  The trail is 5 miles long.  Yes, we hiked 5 miles.  But thankfully, it was mostly flat, but I am not saying there weren't steep parts. And mud.  Lots of mud.  It had been raining for a few days straight, so I suppose it's understandable, but I was still frustrated with the ground when I slipped on the short, muddy slope.  We kept on walking, a wet wipe wrapped around my bloody finger like a band aid.  (Constructed by Dad.)  Eventually, we came to the most famous part of the hike.  The hand tram.  (du, du, du, duuuuuuuuuuu)  Have I told you about my fear of heights?  I know, I am pathetic. We have been as high up as 11,000 feet numerous times, sailed suspended in midair in a tram about 7,000 feet up for miles, and I am afraid of crossing a gorge in a rackety box that can fit about 2 people?  Well, I did it, but not after shaking like a leaf the first time over.  A rope went across the gorge, blending into a circle of rope at each end.  You pull yourself across by the rope, in this case my Dad pulled, and you'd make your way across the gorge, the rope moving at the speed of light through your box. (Because my dad was pulling it.  Anyone could tell he is in the Army when he pulled that rope.) I squealed when I got in because the "tram" shook like crazy and I dared not look down when we quickly made our way to the other side.  

You know, now that I look at the pictures on Google, it doesn't seem that high.  I am such a coward.  But the second time across was way better.  I wasn't as scared, and when we went slower, it was more enjoyable.  We walked away from the tram and walked 2.5 miles back to the resort and had some dinner at one of the many restaurants.  That night, before we went to bed, one thing completed our perfect day like a cherry on top of a sundae.  

Aurora Borealis, the Northern Lights.  Shining outside our town house, green like the grass in spring.  Gorgeous, thrilling, amazing, incredible, shocking, glorious, unbelievable.  It took my breath away, and I couldn't take my eyes off them.  They moved gracefully through the sky and faded and grew bigger, stretched and lengthened.  As I stood there, I couldn't believe I was in Alaska, that I was seeing what the dogs looked at in Antarctica in the movie Eight Below.  That I was miles and miles and miles away from home, seeing things that  some people can't even dream of.  That I would actually have to leave.  It's funny how one moving light in the sky can make you so emotional, think so many things, realize so many things.  Alaska is a place where everyone should go, because its beauty, I believe, can transform someone, and give them a glimpse of the rest of the world.  You can't see places like Alaska anywhere else in the US.  

Well, we have to leave on Monday.  I know, so soon! I feel like we just got here yesterday!  But we have to go back. I want to go home, but at the same time, I want to stay here for just a little longer!  I feel that once we arrive in the lower 48, I'll be dying to get home, to sleep in my bed.  Our trip kicks off with a 5 day ferry ride on the Alaska Marine Highway, the same trip we took to get here, except we weren't on the ferry for 5 days straight.  So this is my last blog post written in Alaska.  I hope you all have grown to love it just by reading about it. 

The pictures above were found at:

http://www.johnlipkowitzphotography.com/galleries/alaska/images/Dall%20sheep.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/155b29fb-20a9-45af-8ba5-c295e30822d7.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/12/19/1229699694870/Gallery-Aurora-borealis-A-009.jpg

Article posted September 17, 2011 at 07:41 AM GMT • comment • Reads 97

I was awakened, bleary eyed and out of sorts, by my mother early on a beautiful day.  We stumbled into the car looking forward to a scenic ferry ride and a delicious crab cake lunch.  We drove the 1 1/2 hours to Whittier, and drove through the longest tunnel in North America, Whittier Tunnel.  ( Not surprising, is it? Of course it's in ALASKA.)

That is what we drove through. On train tracks.  Why were we driving on train tracks? Because, the cars share the tunnel with the trains.  We drove into the sunlight after 2.5 miles of darkness into the little town, if you can even call it a town, of Whittier.

Whittier served as a military port during World War II.  It is tiny.  There are no houses, just a large apartment building where everyone in the town lives.  There are about 3 cafes, and one grocery store/drug store of a shack.  

That is Whittier.  We walked into a small building (the size of a large bathroom, I gather)  and bought our tickets for the ferry ride.  We got meal tickets that we would put on our table when lunch was served.  In a few minutes we boarded the ferry, and I was very excited.  We sailed out of the dock, through the early morning mist, and passed tree-covered mountains and waterfalls.  It was very scenic, just what I'd hoped. But, then again, it's Alaska,  what isn't scenic?  We were on the water for a few hours when we got our lunch, which was very good.  But one of the most exciting parts of the ride was the multitude of sea otters I got to see!  They all floated around in groups on their backs, just enjoying the sun.  Gosh, are they cute!

Yes, that was exciting, but I must say, watching calving glaciers was just a tad more exciting.  What is calving?

Well, dear reader, calving is when a big chunk of glacier falls off and slams into the water.  

We slowly made our way up to Surprise glacier, the bluest thing I have ever seen!  It was a monster: Towering over our ferry, even from a distance.  We sailed over chunks of ice that floated in the blue glacier water. The air was cold, but nothing would make me go back inside the ferry because one of the most magnificent gifts of Mother Nature was smiling at me, shining in the middle of the green mountains, right at the water like a big wall.  

We were amazed at her beauty, but we wanted more.  We wanted to see a calving glacier, and apparently, Surprise glacier calved a lot.  We stood out there for about half an hour until we heard what sounded like a gunshot.  CRACK! We saw a large, massive piece of glacier break away from Surprise glacier, and dive into the water, making a huge splash that shot through the air, almost the height of the glacier itself! Then another piece! CRACK! SPLASH! A few minutes later, another! It was amazing.  I was completely satisfied.  I shuffled back into the ferry, into the warmth and said farewell to Surprise glacier as the boat changed course.  We sailed smoothly away and were joined by many sea otters.  I'd say we saw about 30.  One would go gliding by on his or her back, smiling at us through the windows.  We arrived in Whittier at about 5 o'clock pm, then we headed back home, through the longest tunnel in North America, and back to Anchorage. 

The pictures above were found at:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2357/2526760179_a3371c3360.jpg

http://images.travelpod.com/users/mridul/1.1279237402.inside-the-whittier-tunnel.jpg

http://eyeonnaturephotography.com/images/Sea%20Otters%20PICT6528.jpg

http://www.mendosa.com/fitnessblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/surprise-glacier.jpg

Article posted September 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 70

On the last , overcast day of the Alaska State Fair, my family and I got in the car and drove to out to see what all this fuss was about.  

From a distance we saw a large ferris wheel towering over the fair, many amusement park-like rides, and many people.   The ferris wheel closest to you in the picture is the very first ferris wheel I had ever been on, and it was the first thing we did after we purchased our tickets.  

The ferris wheel was awesome!  Do you remember my blog post about the history of the ferris wheel?  If you haven't read it, you should.  After the ferris wheel ride, we walked around and grabbed some grub.  There were many food stands, from fish to ice cream.  After lunch, we passed the Backhoe Rodeo!!   Two men sat in their CAT backhoes, facing each other.  They used their backhoe scoopers to pick up raw eggs and place them in the buckets that matched their color.  Crazy.  The scoopers worked so gingerly yet smoothly!  On five tree stumps lay golf balls, all different colors.  The backhoe scooper needed to place each golf ball with their color group on their own stump. It was the zaniest thing I had ever seen!   That was the last challenge we saw. After the Backhoe Olympics, we went to see the Lumberjack Show.  I wrote about us watching the Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan, remember? Well, the exact same show came to the Alaska Sate Fair, so we knew exactly what was coming, but it was fun watching it a second time.  

After the Lumberjack  show, we checked out the animals!  There was this huge building filled with stalls containing goats, pigs, cows, llamas, chickens, and rabbits.  Here is the interesting thing:  Kids raise these animals and enter them into the State Fair contest, where they can win ribbons for their animals.  Then, they sell them.  When we were looking at this llama, a little girl said, "Daddy!  Come look at this huge bunny rabbit!"  We thought that was pretty funny.  There were so many pigs there, I'll never eat a hot dog again.    

The contests at the fair weren't just for animals.  Plants and vegetables entered as well.  I was so surprised at how large a pumpkin could be!  

We got this corn on the cob at a food stand, and it was soooo good!  After that, my daring, crazy sister went on this ride: 

After we watched my sister fly through the air as if she were Super Man beside a complete stranger, we drove home. 

And that was the Alaska State Fair, one of the best carnivals in the country, I bet.  

The pictures above were found at:  http://www.colemanequip.com/images/SettingTheCharge.jpg, 

http://www.colemanequip.com/images/SettingTheCharge.jpg, http://www.lastfrontier.org/pix/web-pigs_alaska%20fair.jpg, 

http://www.ketchikanalaska.com/images/lumberjackshow.jpg, 

http://images.travelpod.co.uk/users/wmaxtman/1.1283805684.prize-pumpkin-at-alaska-state-fair.jpg,

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Dti0twcL6gU/TmMJdSUznAI/AAAAAAAAB7s/ujVsrSteYGA/s1600/carnival_1_sm.jpg

Article posted August 24, 2011 at 02:49 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 50

More adventures!

We got in the car early morning and got to Talkeetna 2 hours later.  We stopped at the Talkeetna Lodge, which supposedly has one of the best views of Mt. McKinley, (aka, Denali to the Natives) which is the highest mountain in North America.  It was a bit overcast, so we decided that we would head into town and stop by again later for a better view of the mountain if the sky cleared up.  So we drove into Talkeetna.

Talkeetna is the smallest town I have ever seen, and, to my surprise, there are towns even smaller in Alaska!  There was one main street, and the rest of the town was a bunch of cabins and trucks.  The grocery store was the size of a bedroom, and it also served as the drug store.  There was a chocolate shop and a few restaurants.  There was a very old inn, the Fairview  Inn, and you'll be surprised when you learn of its history.   President William Harding, who was no longer president at the time, was in Alaska, driving the last spike into the Klondike Railroad.  He stopped in Talkeetna and ate and drank at the Fairview Inn.  He left AK, got SICK and DIED three days later in San Francisco=http://! Rumor has it that the president  got poisoned at the Fairview Inn in Talkeetna.    Creepyy.....

On a brighter note:  We visited the Arts Festival that was going on down the street.  There were ten small, white tents set up.  There were people selling jewelry, needle felted hats and ect., and artwork that they had all made themselves! All the people there were very talented.  One lady was selling jewelry made of porcupine quills!  After that, we went to the Ranger Station for Denali National Park, and we learned a lot about climbing Mt. McKinley.  

We watched a video that explains all the efforts that go into climbing North America's tallest mountain.  The climbers must be in great shape and have much experience.  They need to train for months, even years, to be ready.  They must be aware of the challenge, and the fact that 96 peopled have died trying to climb it.  During this year's climbing season, 1,271 registered to climb Mt. McKinley, and 9 people died.  Only half  made it to the summit.  People climb the mountain in May and June, and blizzards can still strike!  Mt. McKinley is very dangerous.  There are many crevasses.  It takes climbers about 2 and a half weeks to climb the mountain because of the elevation and weather.  The air grows thinner as they climb, so they need to stop for long periods of time so that their bodies can acclimate.  Many climbers get sick if they do not do this.  They can suffer from elevation sickness.  

Susan Butcher, the famous female Iditarod winner, took her dog sledding team up to the summit!  So, yes, dogs have been to the top of Denali.  That was one of my questions for the Park Ranger there after watching the video.  Climbers from all around the world come to Talkeetna to hang out before they can climb Mt. McKinley.  I was surprised that over 1,200 hikers could even fit in Talkeetna! They take a helicopter to 7,000 feet and begin the climb.  Most climbers take the West Buttress route.  

After we left the Ranger station, we went back to the Talkeetna Lodge and had lunch.  The sky was clear blue where we sat, but Denali was covered by huge gray clouds.  After lunch we went back into Talkeetna and got some ice cream from a little ice cream trailer... thing.  There were things like that all around Talkeetna, all selling different kinds of food. One was selling spinach bread!  We walked by this colorful pizzeria with flowers all around it.  Sunflowers towered above you, and there were bushes of Nasturtium, which is a very pretty flower.  Not only is it pretty, but it's edible!  The guy who owns the place was talking to us and he let us each eat a flower.  They were sweet at first, then they became hot and spicy, good in an interesting way.  We then went back to the Talkeetna Lodge, AGAIN, to see if Mt. McKinley was breaking through the clouds, but all we could see was blue silhouettes of the mountains that surround it.  Disappointed, we went home.  We are definitely going back on a super clear day so that we can see Denali.  

Article posted August 15, 2011 at 07:19 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 99

We hopped in the car for a little day trip to Wasilla and Palmer.  Fact about Wasilla: It is home to Sarah Palin!  She doesn't live there anymore, people in Alaska say she moved to Arizona.  

We drove to Palmer first.  We visited a MUSK OX farm!     I learned that the job of this farm is to DOMESTICATE wild musk ox, then HARVEST their undercoat called  QUIVIUT, SHIP it to Rhode Island where it is made into yarn, then it is shipped back to Palmer, then it is given to the NATIVE PEOPLE to KNIT it into very pretty, expensive, hats, shawls, scarves and headbands.  The wool is soooo soft!  Quiviut is the warmest fiber on earth, helping musk ox stay warm in temperatures as low as -145 degrees!

We then took a tour of the farm, and I got to feed a 4 year old musk ox named Avalanche.  Baby musk ox are so cute!  I learned that musk ox trap heat in their bodies really well, and all they have to do is eat.  I also learned that male musk ox butt their heads to prove who is stronger.  They run at each other at 35 miles an hour, and, without stopping or slowing down, smash their heads together when they meet.  They aren't trying to harm the other, they're just proving who is stronger and more powerful.

We left the farm and drove to Wasilla to the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race headquarters.  The Iditarod is the 1,049 mile sled dog race that begins in Anchorage and ends in Nome.  It took last year's winner 8 days and 16 hours to complete the race.  At the headquarters, all the trophies of the Iditarod are kept.  We walked into a gift shop which was packed with stuffed sled dog puppies. In the corner was a 1rst Place Iditarod trophy.  It was very large and gold.  A film was playing in the next room where there were portraits and pictures of past winners of the Iditarod.  Outside, there was a team of sled dogs pulling a four-wheeler every few minutes on a short course for visitors.  When I was in Quebec last year, I went on a 3 hour dog sled trip.  In the snow.  I'll never forget it.  A few feet back was an adorable puppy in a cage.  I played with him for what seemed like hours.  Then I was dragged away from the puppy and we headed home.  There is a great series in the Discovery Channel all about it.  Or just watch Snow Dogs again! 

The pictures above were found at: http://scienceline.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/2068405577_935b170752.jpg and https://www.mindware.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/iditarod51.jpg

Article posted August 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 39

This is a picture of ADT's building

Remember when I wrote about how I first laid eyes on the Alaska Dance Theatre (ADT from now on) brochure?  My mom and I checked out the website and we discovered National Day of Dance.  On National Day of Dance, which was celebrated on July 31st, my sister and I danced 3 short, energetic dances from the show "So You Think You Can Dance" with a group of dancers before a crowd of people in Town Square.  But let us rewind here.

On ADT's website, there was a paragraph saying where and when to meet up to learn the dances.  All were welcome, so my sister and I jumped on the opportunity.  We met on a Tuesday night in one of the 5 studios of the fabulous, sleek, and modern Alaska Dance Theatre building.  I had so much fun!  The first dance was a salsa, the second jazz, and the third hip hop.  I am so used to modern and ballet, so it was really cool to step outside my comfort zone for a bit.  The studio was great.  A mirror covered a wall, and ballet barres lined the other three walls.  The ceiling was sky high.  

We met again on Thursday and relearned the dances, quicker than on Tuesday, and spent more time perfecting them.  We were then ready to perform on Saturday morning!  We gathered in Town Square and watched the other dancers perform under the tent.  We had a nice sized audience, and the weather was perfect, which everyone seemed surprised and happy about.  Finally we got onstage and did our thing!  I had so much fun, and I could tell everyone else was, too, which is a great feeling.

This experience sparked my interest in ADT and its school, so I was thrilled when I heard that a teacher was giving open classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I want to take classes at the school until it is time for us to head home, so the first class I took was an evaluation class.  I was placed in a level that I'm very happy with, and the class was a great experience.  I got to have a new teacher, new steps, new combinations, and a new space!  I'm going back to the Thursday class tonight, and I am really looking forward to it! 

The pictures above are from http://www.davisconstructors.com/projects/images/AlaskaDanceTheatre.JPG and http://www.ticketsinventory.com/images/performers/ballet/alaska-dance-theatre-tickets-anchorage.jpg

Article posted August 8, 2011 at 11:52 PM GMT • comment • Reads 39

I apologize for the long wait, but we've been so busy!

In our first two weeks, we did many, many, many things, and it all began with climbing Flattop Mountain.  Flattop Mountain is kind of like two kinds of mountains smushed together.  One side has a flat top, the other side has a regular mountain top.  We climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed. We were not prepared for how difficult it was going to be.  We were told that there would be a tiny scramble at the top.  Well, because of the mile long scramble, we didn't reach the top.  We came, at the most, a few yards close to it.  But it was still a big accomplishment!  

We went to the Anchorage museum and saw an exhibit called Mammoths and Mastodons, which was very interesting. Did you know that elephants are related to them?  As well as musk ox, which resemble bison and buffalo, except they have these horns that look like blond curls parted down the middle.  

We drove down to the Kenai Peninsula, where we panned for gold!  You get your pans at this small stand in the midst of a beautiful, large garden and shacks.  It was and is a mining camp, and the historic shacks there served as the commissary, cafeteria, barn, etc.  We walked down beside a rushing stream.  We were handed a sample pack of what looked like black gravel.  We pored it into our pans and filed the pan with water from the stream to "clean it", meaning, get rid of all the dirt in order to better see pieces of gold.  We did "strike gold", but they were tiny flecks, when we counted up all the flecks we found, we got 29.  We kept them and got in the car so we could see the tide come in a couple miles down at 5 or more miles an hour!  

This is called the Bore Tide.  That night it was expected to come thruogh around  6:30 at night or later.  Beluga wales swim in this water.  Did you know that they are endangered? They come to the water about 2 weeks after the Bore Tide.  While we waited to watch the tide come in, we met a man who let us look through his telescope and we got to se a black bear and dull sheep!  Some people mistake sheep for mountain goats, but you can tell the difference by the fur on their legs.  The tide was a sight to see!  It came in so fast!  There was almost no water, rocks were visible, and all of the sudden, whoosh!!! The tide went speeding in! The water was running in all different directions, and soon the rocks that we saw were gone, and I could only see the little sand on the beach.  We saw surfers out there, and they fell off their boards quickly.  

A few days later we visited Thunderbird Falls.  We walked on a beautiful trail and came across the rushing sound of the water. We walked down beside it and we put our hands in the water.  It was pretty cold, but I just wanted to get on a kayak and sail down the speeding stream.  It wasn't long before we returned to the beautiful Kenai Peninsula.  

This time, we stayed at the ski resort there, called Aleyeska.  The day we arrived, we climbed the mountain behind the resort, Mt. Aleyeska, with the trams going up it, and on which many skiers ski.  It is a 3,000 foot hike, and when I reached the top, I was exhausted! On the hike, you get a gorgeous view of "The Arm", it's full name being the Turnigan Arm.  It was named by Captain Cook, and it is called "Turnigan" because they had to TURN AGAIN when they reached the arm.  There was a time on the hike when we were walking through lots of leaves and wildflowers.  The previous day it had rained, so the trail was really muddy.  Once we got to the top, we got a free ride down on the tram!  We showered up and went back on the tram, this time up, to the top of Mt.  Aleyeska.  We ate dinner at the Seven Glaciers, which is this 5 star restaurant that has a wonderful view of the gorgeous seven glaciers that lie on the mountains that surround Mt. Aleyeska.  Most of them are "hanging" glaciers, which means that they don't connect to little waterfalls that empty into lakes.  They just sit on the mountains, all blue and frozen.  The dinner was amazing!!!! I tried all these different foods, some that I never even had heard of!  We took the tram back down and went to bed, exhausted.

The next day we did one of the most exciting things I've done on this trip.   We went to the Alaskan Wildlife Conservation Center.  It's like a zoo, but not really.  All the animals there are in their natural habitat.  This is how the system works.  You drive on a trail that leads you all throughout the center.  You can stop your car at viewing areas and get out, take pictures and such.  You're allowed to drive around as many times as you like.  We drove around twice.  We first saw ELK, and we came very close to them.  They were eating.  Then we saw BISON, who were mostly sleeping, then we saw a MUSK OX , which was amazing.  Then, I came 4 feet close to a female GRIZZLY BEAR.  She waked on over to the fence to get some food.  An employee was feeding her cherries!!! He just tossed them through the fence and she gobbled them up!  I was baffled at how close he got to her.  There were more bears to come, but first we saw some CARIBOU.  Their antlers are gigantic!  They  look a lot like reindeer.  Then I walked up to an EAGLE that sat in a very large cage filled with plants and another bird.  Next  we saw a BLACK BEAR, who was lounging in between two tree trunks that lay on their side.  I came very close to him or her as well!

Off in the distance we saw two bear cubs, but at the time, we though they were adult bears because they were so big.  We decided to drive around again and see if they came any closer.  It's good that we did drive around a second time because this time, I came an inch close to a male MOOSE named Jack.  He has a facebook page, Jack the Moose!  He was sitting down right next to the fence with an employee who is his best friend.  She told us that the fur on his antlers is called velvet and it is covered with nerves.  Also, moose gain 600 pounds in their first  year!  Isn't that crazy?!  We asked her what kind of bears we saw at the end, the ones who were playing off in the distance, and she told us they were KODIAK CUBS.  We got back in the car and stopped to look at MOOSE CALVES who were eating and drinking.  To drink, they bent their two front legs and kneeled, but they kept their back legs straight.  We drove on to the Kodiak Cubs, who were now only yards away from the fence, playing and being fed!!!  An employee was walking with the cubs, carrying a large bucket as they followed him.  He stopped, turned over he bucket, and sat on it.  Then, the first cub had to sit before he or she got the food!  The same went for the next cub.  As the other cub ate, one wandered off to a fallen tree and began to climb it, then it started to slip down!  One cub made these signals when she wanted more food.  She would swat in the air with her right paw!  It was so cool!  I was so amazed.    

The next day was even more amazing.  We drove a few miles out of the resort to the Great Byron Glacier.  It was incredible! It was huge and blue, and beautiful!  We took a trail up to part of it and came across a huge blue cave made of glacier.  Green covered mountains surround you, then, BAM!  Blue, white, ice, water, glacier!!!!  We got to do some bouldering which is just climbing on a bunch of boulders for a little while.  It was so much fun.  Looking at the glaciers was just surreal.  On our way home we stopped at a salmon viewing, and I saw a coho salmon.  My mom is just dying to see a bear fishing for salmon at some point!  I hope we do.  

Article posted July 25, 2011 at 07:45 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 44

We got to Anchorage in the evening, so it wasn't like we'd get a good day's look at it right off the bat.  But we did get to drive around.  

Streets wise, they're laid out perfectly.  There's not a bunch of different streets, there's a few that make their way all about the city in a neat, not confusing way.  There's this street named Fur Street, and you could guess the kind of stores they have on Fur Street.  Good Job!  You guessed it!  FUR stores!  Loads and loads of them!  I've noticed that outside a lot of stores, they have stuffed bears.  A bit scary, I must say.  There are streets named G Street and L Street, and then other regular names like 5th Avenue, 4th Avenue, and so on.  

Sorry, I'm jumping ahead a bit quickly.  Let's talk about the outside before moving in. The SKYLINE  of a city says a lot ABOUT the city.  If there's a long, rather tall skyline, it's a big city.  If there is no skyline, if there are no skyscrapers whatsoever, it's a pretty small city.  Or, not really city, more like town.  Personally, I'd go for the medium skyline.  And Anchorage is perfect.  It's not too big, there aren't many skyscrapers, but there is the perfect amount.  

Then you dig a bit deeper.  Let's take New York City, for example.  There's that big chunk of skyscrapers, but then a rough area starts to leak around it.  No big, shiny, sparkly new buildings. But Anchorage! The buildings don't get "bad" as you move further out.  They stay nice, then they disappear.  You're in mountains then.  Anchorage is surrounded by mountains. All the buildings in Anchorage are new, (most of them are modern) bright, nice to look at!  It's great!  A lot of them have murals painted on the sides of them.  Well, Anchorage is not an old town.  Sprouted in the 40s!  For me, it's hard to think of another town I know of that is that young. Anchorage is also a very clean city.  You rarely see litter, and sidewalks are practically spotless.  

Many important cities are surrounded by water, and you all know why that is, so I'm not going to bother writing why.  Anchorage does have water by it, but there are no ships on it, and the beach is deserted.  Why is that?  Well, the answer is a bit scary.  The sand is not sand.  It is a spongey, quicksand substance, and if a human walks on it they sink and die.  Yeah, so that's why no one is allowed to go on it.  Now, about our first week....

Day 1:  We woke up and hit the town.  We first checked out the Performing Arts Center.  AMAZING!  One of the coolest buildings I've ever been in.  I saw a large banner that said that the Alaska Dance Theatre (ADT) performs there=http://!!  I got to pick up a brochure of the School of the Alaska Dance Theatre, which shares the ADT building.   I am dead set on auditioning to attend. That. School.  Did I mention how much I love dance?  Oh yes, it's in the About The Blogger paragraph on the side of my page.  Have you read that?  There is this movie about the Northern Lights called Aurora.  It runs all day every day for the entire summer.  It's a movie of amazing pictures that this photographer takes of the Northern Lights (or, to be all scientific, Aurora Borealis) right here in Anchorage.  We looked forward to checking that out.  We asked these two ladies working there if there was a place they could suggest for a good breakfast, and they suggested the Snow City Cafe.  We headed for the cafe and, on the way, stopped on the Captain Cook hotel, which is named after the famous Captain Cook.  His ship was called The Resolution.  Cook stopped in this Cook Inlet right here in Anchorage, sent two ships farther up north to explore a bit, and then left, discouraged, thinking, "Nothing!  There's nothing here!"  He sailed three voyages, and on the voyage when he stopped in Alaska, he sailed to Hawaii and died while there.  Apparently he was killed by the Natives.  Ugh.

Anyway, there's this terribly glamorous hotel named after him, celebrities have stayed there, and it' s one of the big things in the city.  We left the Captain Cook and ate breakfast at the Snow City Cafe, and it was delicious!  We'll definitely eat there again.  At breakfast, it was decided that my sister and I would see HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2 that day.  After all, we did miss seeing it the day it came out, which was our goal.  We had to see it the first day we were in Anchorage, which was three days later.  We saw it in the late afternoon. 

It is my favorite Harry Potter movie.  It is my favorite movie of all time.  It was the most emotional movie of all time.  I cried the hardest I ever had in a movie.  It was just overall incredible, and, I give it 5 stars.  Oh boy...tearing up just thinking of it.....

Day 2: Wait-have I written a bit much for now?  I think so.  I will fill you in on the rest of the week as soon as possible.

Article posted July 25, 2011 at 06:42 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 42

We drove.  And drove.  And drove.  And drove.  Then we got to Tok, which was the first stop in Alaska that was not by water.  When we crossed the border of Alaska and Canada, the trees were cleared along the 141st parallel, which looked like a shaved line cut  through the forest of trees. (the special kind that only grow on permafrost) It's hard to notice at first.  You stand on a rock and lift your arms so you resemble the letter "T".  Then, you follow your arms, then your hands, and then you see the line!  

After that, we drove some more and arrived in small Tok.  We stayed in this cabin called the Wolf Cabin, and across from the cabin was a fenced section surrounding a dog house and a play area for puppies.  Inside the dog house, you could see the most adorable puppies alive, sleeping and lazily looking up at you, yawn, lick paw, sniff the air, fall back asleep.  The were so cute=http://! They were sled puppies, all of them black.  I want one!  I want one!  We could only stay there for one night, and the next day we loaded up the car, pet the puppies for 30 minutes, got in the car, drove, drove, drove, drove, drove, and got to........our destination......ANCHORAGE!

Anchorage, unlike many towns we have gone through in Alaska, is not small.  It's not as big as Chicago, but it's  way bigger than my hometown, which is pretty large compared to Juneau.   I'll be staying here for a few months, I've got all the time in the world to explore and get used to it.  By the time I have to leave, I'll know Anchorage inside out, upside down, and backwards.  

Article posted July 16, 2011 at 07:23 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

We entered Skagway at 11 at night.  Everything was closed and it looked a bit eerie.  We stayed at this great bed and breakfast, awoke the next morning and hit the town.  We first went to the Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Site.  Long name. 

A Gold Rush took place in Alaska around the 1890s.  Someone had stumbled upon gold, so masses of people, Stampedes, they were called, "rushed" to where the gold was.  Why so desperate for gold?  Well, the world had gone through one of the first "depressions".  Economies weren't doing so well.  This was called the Panic of 1893.  So, why not?  Men needed to make some money.  Gold was valuable.  They'd just get on a horse and head up there, grab some gold, and come back home to the family.  They thought they would strike it easily, but they were sorely mistaken.  They got to the thought destination and found an endless line of men slowly making their way up a mountain covered with snow.  All of them were loaded down with thousands of pounds of a yearly supply of mining tools and food.  They brought so much that they had to take trips.  This line headed toward the Alaskan -Canadian border. Then they had to travel 400 miles, make their own boats, and get to their new destination.  Only a few people made it, and very, very few struck gold.  It turned out that the gold was 100s of feet underground.  Many men searched helplessly, but found none.  Towns popped up, like Skagway.  Stampeders made homes in Skagway.   Over the course of two summers, Skagway was glamorous.  The few women had all the new fashion, and men made money by buying and selling claims of land.  Land said to have gold in it.  The money was spent as if it grew on trees.  Some men that were living rich died penniless. 

We learned all of that in Skagway.  Then we went to this place called Jewel gardens.  The owner is a friend of my aunt, so we had to go.  It has a gorgeous garden and a restaurant and tea room.  The quiche was amazing!  There is a glass blowing studio and a gift shop.  After that, we got in the car and drove to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory.  We arrived at our gorgeous lodge and my parents attempted to go canoeing, but they ended up going in circles.  Today we went into Whitehorse.  It is the capital of Yukon Territory, but it is not a big city.  It's no bigger than my hometown!  It's cute, though.  We went to the Visitor Center, which was cool because we met this couple who lives near us.  It's neat meeting people that have come as far away from home as you have. 

Article posted July 14, 2011 at 05:49 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 43

On our first day in Juneau, we took yet another tram to the top of Mt. Roberts and walked Father Brown's Trail.  We saw two para-gliders  take off from the top of the mountain=http:// It was so cool. You just saw a sliver of color and a tiny body, hovering and sailing above Juneau.

On our second day, we went to a glacier.  A glacier!!!  We could see 7 miles of it, but it's really 12 miles long, and 1 mile wide.  There is a gorgeous, huge, rushing waterfall next to it.  It flows into the lake that has formed in front of the glacier.  There are small banks and miniature beaches that used to be covered with ice.  In the "lake" are small, interestingly shaped icebergs.  One looked like a nose!  All of this was part of the glacier once.  The whole area was covered with ice.  When was it all covered?  In the 1950s.  That's is NOT very long ago.  The glacier shortens 2 to 5 feet everyday.  A ranger told me that the glacier may not be there in OUR LIFETIME if it continues to shorten consistently.   But, she also said that the world has warmed before, that this "Global Warming" might be a phase. The world has experienced more than one ice age.  It may experience one again soon.  So, global warming isn't always the answer.  

After that amazing afternoon, we went to downtown Juneau and stopped in the "historic" Red Dog Saloon for a snack. Complete tourist trap.  We were out of there in an hour.  The thing about Alaskan port cities:  cruise ships dock there, and all the cruise ship tourists flood the "city".  (I don't know if you can call them cities, they're so small.)  So, these jewelry shops follow them.  We walked by at least 30 jewelry shops.  It gets a bit annoying.  

Today we are getting back on the ferry.  We'll be on it for about 6 or 7 hours, and we'll stop and get off in Skagway.  

Article posted July 13, 2011 at 09:54 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 37

On our second day in Ketchikan, we watched the Lumberjack Show.  Have you ever heard of that?  It's actually on ESPN sometimes.   Okay, imagine lumberjacks.  There were two teams, Team USA and Team Canada.  We were Team USA.  There were two lumberjacks on each team.  They competed in crazy chopping and sawing contests.

In one challenge the lumberjack had to climb up a 50 foot tree and climb down.  The first one to come down won.  It was so exciting!!! It looked like they were running up the tree!  The USA guy won, and he is second in the world in that challenge.  Team Canada won sadly....It was great, though.

Then we went to Totem Bight and Ward Lake.  Ward Lake is surrounded by a Temperate Rainforest!  We walked around a rainforest!! It was so cool.  There was moss everywhere, fallen trees, more trees, and more trees! Totem Bight was really cool.  It was by the water, and it was like a little park but with totem poles all over the place.  They were all different.  We saw a replica of a clan house.  But the grand finale was the bald eagle perched on top of the tallest totem pole, looking out over the sea. A bald eagle.  (Actually, by now we have seen at least ten of them, but this was the first one, so it was pretty exciting.)  Yards away was a telescope that was focused right on it!  We rushed over to it and got to see the eagle clear and up close.  He, or she, was gorgeous.

We went out to dinner and saw one of the lumberjacks from the show!  He was the pole climber.  The we got back on the ferry pretty late, around 11, and went to bed in our tiny cabin.  There were two bunk beds, and I slept on the bottom because I was afraid I'd roll off the top while sleeping. There was a small bathroom in the cabin.

The next day we  saw a ton of whales!!! One was totally pleasing the crowd, flapping his tail 12 times!!! We slept on the ferry that night and got off in Juneau the next morning.  

Article posted July 10, 2011 at 04:09 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

We got on the ferry super early this morning. It's like a hotel on water.  There is a cafeteria, a lounge room, a bar, cabins, a deck where practically everyone on the ferry was sleeping (including me), and more.  We were on the ferry for 6 and a half hours, but trust me, it flew by.  I'm not the best on water. (I get a tad bit sea sick.  Ok, maybe really sea sick.) But this ride was like driving, which I love.  We got off in Ketchikan, Alaska!  Alaska!!!

You know, I never really thought I' d ever go there.  It was so far away.  But, here I am!  Info on Ketchikan:

It is the "Salmon Capital of the World".  Gee, what do you think I'm going to have for dinner?

There are many totem poles.  Many.

There is a really cool museum that has this exhibit that is all about Alaska and the native people and the land, culture, et cetera.  It was awesome.

That's what I know so far.  I also know that I love it.  It's so small, and it's by the water, it has that sea air.  If you've been to any small towns near massive bodies of water, you'd know that they are all very similar.  I haven't experienced much of Alaska yet, but I know that it, so far at least, does't seem so different from certain parts of the U.S.  I know that opinion will probably change quickly.

One thing you should all know - Alaska is not always covered with snow!  Sure, there is snow on the mountaintops, but not on the low land.  When I was telling people I was going there, some said, "Doesn't it always snow there?"  Not in the summer.  It's in the 50s here, you know, in temperature.  Not snowing.  

Article posted July 9, 2011 at 01:17 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

I'm back!  We drove through Idaho and into Washington.  It's a gorgeous state, but, to tell you the truth, driving through mountains all day and seeing even more is a bit tiring.  

We arrived in Seattle in the evening.  Our hotel was just a few blocks away from the public library, and our room had an amazing view.  The next day, the Fourth of July, we took the monoraill  to the Space Needle, and went to the top. The Space Needle was completed for Seattle's World Fair in 1962.  It was amazing.  The view was great.  Honestly, I think it's better than Sears Tower's view.  There you were so high up that you couldn't really see anything!  The Space Needle was the perfect height, you could see very far out.  We had dinner at its rotating restaurant.  It was fabulous!!!! It was literally a rotating restaurant.  I sat down, and I realized that we were rotating!  I looked out the endless window and saw my view moving slowly past me.  I could see all of Seattle.  

Seattle, like every big city, has Fourth of July fireworks.  We watched them by the Lake House next to Lake Union.  It was very crowded, but we found a great spot where we were practically alone.  We jumped on the trolley after and headed back to our hotel.  The next morning we checked out and went to Seattle's famous Public Market.  It was great.  It was like a huge, long, festival tent  of restaurants and food stands.  But not just food.  There were flowers and woodwork.  We saw the fish throwing, which takes place at this fish stand.  Whenever someone orders something, the workers shout something in unison and start throwing the fish.  A large crowd gathers, everybody with a camera in hand.  Did you know that the first Starbucks is in Seattle?  Well, we went there!  It was really crowded.  I got a hot chocolate and  it was delicious.  We then went to Seattle's Public Library, which was awesome.  It is huge and the architecture is so cool and modern.  The building is actually a huge triangle, covered in small triangles.  The inside is great.  The floors are made of steel and there are huge windows and escalators.  There is this room called the Mixing Room, which is a few rooms and everything is red. Very cool.  We bid farewell to Seattle, :'( and got in the car.

We stopped for a night in Whistler, British Columbia, which is where the last Winter Olympic skiing events took place.  It is a ski resort.  The next morning we went on an open chair ski lift and saw 6 black bears!!! I came 20 feet close to one, and the poor thing was trying to eat a beer can!  We sadly hit the road again. We tend to fall in love with every place we stay, and stayed overnight in Prince George.  Now we are in Prince Rupert.  We are boarding a ferry early tomorrow morning.  We will be on it for over a week, and it is taking us to many places all around Alaska.  We are going to go to Juneau, Alaska's capital!!!! We'll then get off the ferry, drive through Yukon Territory, and make our way to Anchorage, Alaska, our destination.  

Article posted July 8, 2011 at 06:54 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 43

In Wyoming, we stayed at this ski resort called Jackson Hole. We did many things like; we hiked some of the Saratoga Trail, a trail that goes up one of the many mountains in Jackson Hole. It was very pretty, yet muddy. We took a large gondola up to the top of this mountain, and it was very cold, and covered with snow!!! I climbed a rock wall, and technically did some bungee jumping, which was probably the most terrifying experience of my life.

We took an hour-long horse ride. You were assigned a horse to ride, and I got a horse named Cody. She was so pretty. I felt so high and scared sitting on her at first. We begun our ride in the valley, but we wound our way up and around this mountain covered in forest. There was a rough path made that we followed, it was about a foot wide and it was very rocky. We learned how to control our horses. To make him or her stop, you pull back on the reins. To make her turn left, you lift the reins and turn them left. To turn right, you do the same thing except you turn right. To make her go faster, you kick your heels into her sides, but not too hard. The ride was so fun! The forest and the views were breathtaking and the weather was great.

At the end of the ride, I was so comfortable on Cody. Since we took the last ride of the day, we got to see the “cowboys” wrangle the horses. They opened the gates of the corral and all the horses came running out, led by a cowboy to an open pasture. It was probably the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

This morning we woke up very early, loaded the car, said our goodbyes to Jackson Hole, and headed for Jackson, the small town below Jackson Hole.  There we had breakfast a very historical hotel, finished in 1941, The Wort Hotel.  At the bar, they had 2,032 silver liberty dollars embedded into the bar. They were from 1921, and are uncirculated, so they are very valuable. Then we headed for Yellowstone National Park for the second time within four days. We stopped there on our way to Jackson Hole, hoping to see Old Faithful go off. When we arrived, it was pretty late, we had at least three hours to drive, and we had just missed Old Faithful go off. It goes off every 90 minutes. We had to get to Jackson Hole before it got too late or dark, so we grudgingly left.

My mom felt terrible about missing Old faithful, so we came back after breakfast in Jackson. We got there just on time. It was awesome. Old faithful is a geyser. Boiling water shoots out from the top to release pressure from the water building up and traveling underground.The water shot up so high!It was definitely worth it.

After Yellowstone, we drove into Montana. We were in Montana for at the most ten minutes. Then, we drove into Idaho. We are headed for Seattle, Washington! I will write all about it.

Article posted July 1, 2011 at 03:16 AM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 45

I'm a bit late on filling you in on Chicago, because I'm in Jackson Hole, Wyoming!  In Chicago, we went to The Art Institute of Chicago, Frank Loyd Wright's Robie House, the University of Chicago's campus, the top of Sears Tower, and a Cubs game!  We drove through Indiana, and stopped at the University of Notre Dame, then Minnesota, then South Dakota, now Wyoming. We have been to famous tourist attractions like Mount Rushmore and yellowstone Park.  Out here, the tops of mountains are covered with snow!  It is so neat seeing snow in June.

Article posted June 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 37

I am on my way to Alaska!  This summer my family and I are on a cross country trip.  We started our trip yesterday.  We stopped in Cleveland, Ohio the first night.  This morning we went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which was really neat.  After that we hopped back in the car and headed for Chicago!  We've been in the car for a few hours now.  We'll be going through a new time zone!!!  We'll arrive there around 7:30 in Chicago time.  We will be staying there for two nights.  I'll fill you in when we get there!!

Article posted March 5, 2011 at 02:46 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 38

Answers to the Harry Potter Quiz may only be seen by those who have already read and attempted to answer the quiz itself.

#1.  There are seven horcruxes.

#2.  Barty Crouch Jr. put Harry Potter's name in the Goblet of Fire.

#3.  Hermione Granger used a Time Turner in the third book, The Prisoner of Azkaban.

#4.  Peter Pettigrew (aka Wormtail) helped Lord Voldemort kill Harry Potter's parents, Lily and James Potter.

#5.  The name of Lord Voldemort's snake is Nagini. 

#6.  Dolores Umbridge's position in The Ministry of Magic is Senior Undersecretary to the Minister.

#7.  Ginny Weasley, a first year at the time, opened The Chamber of Secrets.

#8.  Ron Weasley's position for the Gryffindor Quidditch Team was Keeper.

#9.  Draco Malfoy tried to fix the Vanishing Cabinet in the Room of Requirement.

#10. This answer requires a little explanation.  Harry used Draco Malfoy's wand to disarm Lord Voldemort, using the spell, "Expelliarmus!".  Voldemort was using the Elder Wand.  He shouted the spell, "AVADA KEDAVRA!", the Unforgivable Killing Curse, at the same time Harry shouted the disarming spell.  The Elder Wand flew out of Voldemort's hand into Harry's, therefore, backfiring the Killing Curse on himslef, killing Voldemort.  So technically, Harry Potter used two wands in the process of killing Lord Voldemort; Draco Malfoy's wand, and the Elder Wand.  

If you are a respectable Harry Potter fan, you probably answered all of those correctly.

Article posted March 4, 2011 at 07:23 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 46

The following is an interview with Mr. Cocoa.  He is not a fan of interviews, and he rarely accepts to participate in them, but he and MD are quite good friends.  

MD: So, Mr. Cocoa, I have your New York Times #1 Best Seller, "The Search For Queens", in my hand.  Could you tell us about your interesting dig in Egypt for Queen Cleopatra's tomb?

Mr. Cocoa: Well, it was a very interesting experience.  

MD: ...Oh, I am sure it was... Could you tell us anything else about it?

Mr. Cocoa: The sun was hot, we dug for hours.  That is all.

MD: Er... Of course, Mr. Cocoa.  Yes, well, what I would like to know is, what inspired you to open a chocolate store in New York City?

Mr. Cocoa: I always liked chocolate.

MD: Ah, yes, don't we all? I ha-

Mr. Cocoa: Well, technically, no.  Not everyone enjoys chocolate.

MD: Well, why, you are correct of, course! When are you not?

Mr. Cocoa: Never. I am never incorrect.

MD: ...Ehem...Yes, well, Mr. Cocoa, is it true that you can speak fluent Finnish?

Mr. Cocoa: Are you doubting my abilities?

MD: No! Oh, no, Mr. Cocoa, I would never dream of doubting you-

Mr. Cocoa: Well, let's hope so.

MD:(Face flushed, dying to redeem herself) Um, Mr. Cocoa, we do not have any record of what you did five years after you found residence on the Baja California.  Could you tell us what you did?

Mr. Cocoa: That is none of your business.

MD: Oh, I apologize!  I did not mean-

Mr. Cocoa: I don't know why the public is always breathing down my back, ferreting what I am doing every minute!

MD: I-I-I-

Mr. Cocoa: I would really hate to end this nice little chat, but I am late for a brunch with the president of Chile.

MD: Yes, well, it has been a very nice chat...

Mr. Cocoa: Good day to you!

As you can see, interviews make Mr. Cocoa feel uncomfortable. 

Article posted March 4, 2011 at 02:30 AM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 37

I have failed to keep my loyal readers updated on the recent events of Mr. Cocoa's remarkable life.  I have informed you of his life up to this last year.  But within one year, this prodigal panda has accomplished something great.  Mr. Cocoa has been promoting peace throughout the United States and/or the world between various chocolate companies and brands.  There has been friction, Hershey is bickering with Nestle,  Milky Way has had some quite nasty press conferences with Snickers, and Reese's claims that there has been a large amount of stealing their famous chocolate/peanut butter treat, the Reese's Cup.  Mr. Cocoa gave at most 300 lectures addressing these tensions.  His face is known across the globe, appearing in numerous newspapers, magazines, and all over the internet.  He became president of the Chocolate Peace Association, leading many people of same beliefs of  peace between chocolate brands and companies.  His incredible actions were recognized.  On January 3, 2011, Mr. Cocoa won the Nobel Peace Prize.  In his awing speech, the prodigal panda gave a beautiful quote that will go down in history.  "Chocolate...is a world art...be peaceful."  This panda has accomplished unfathomable heights, and he will be remembered.  His Wikipedia page consists of 1,275 paragraphs.  

Article posted February 9, 2011 at 06:52 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 54

The following is a quiz concerning all the books of the Harry Potter series.  If you have not read the Harry Potter books, simply do not take the quiz. You will have no idea what I am talking about.  If you did read the Harry Potter books, what are you waiting for!  

#1.  How many horcuxes are there?

#2.  Who put Harry's name in the Goblet of Fire?

#3.  In what book did Hermione Granger use a Time Turner?

#4.  Who really helped Lord Voldemort kill Harry Potter's parents?

#5.  What is the name of Lord Voldemort's snake?

#6.  What is Dolores Umbridge's place in The Ministry of Magic?

#7.  Who opened the Chamber of Secrets?

#8.  What position was Ron Weasley on the Gryffindor Quidditch Team?

#9.  In which room did Draco Malfoy try to fix the Vanishing Cabinet in The Half Blood Prince?

#10. What wand did Harry Potter use to finally kill Lord Voldemort?

Write a comment answering the questions in order, then check the "Harry Potter Quiz Answers" to see if you were correct!

Article posted January 8, 2011 at 11:22 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 50

At the moment, I am reading "The Complete Sherlock Holmes", which is a wondrous book including every story written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  Having to do with the remarkably intelligent detective, Sherlock Holmes, of course.  I have decided to read this volume from the very beginning, and I am quite glad I have.  The first story is "A Study in Scarlet".  The first chapters are fantastic because they describe how Holmes and Watson came about to sharing their famous residence on Baker Street.  The first Sherlock Holmes book I read was "The Hound of the Baskervilles", which is a thrilling story dripping with horror, gloom, mystery, and foolish romance along the way.  Yet I did not know the back-stories of the two main characters, and this bothered me.  So today, while sitting in the family room with my parents, I stated fervently," I want to read more Sherlock Holmes books."   My father replied, "We have the complete works of Sherlock Holmes in the basement!"  Quite pleased at the news, I ran downstairs, and spotted the book immediately.  I returned to the family room, and began reading.  That is why I am writing now.  What I advise to you readers is this.  If you do not have an ethnic, dear stalker Sherlock Homes hat, find one in your attic, or if needed, buy one.  Maybe your grandfather has one.  After you have recovered this hat, get a Sherlock Holmes book from the local library, find a comfortable armchair before a warm fire, put on the dear stalker hat, and start reading.  In my case, my late grandfather had an ethnic, dear stalker, Sherlock Homes hat, and my mother knew that I would be pleased to wear it while reading "The Hound of the Baskervilles".  Wearing the hat really puts the reader in the mood of the story, and you feel as if  you are stepping into Homes's shoes.  I also suggest searching for "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle at your local library.  It is possible that they will have it.  Suivez mon conseil. ("Take my advice" in French)  I guarantee that you will learn to love Sherlock Holmes.

Article posted December 19, 2010 at 01:31 AM GMT • comment (6) • Reads 40

One of the greatest phenomenons of all time takes the the first part of its final bow in this thrilling adventure that will leave you hanging.  The action is never-ending, the romance is sweet, and the effects are breath-taking.  It ends at a climax, and the onlookers in the theater seats will bang their chairs in anxiety and heart-stopping curiosity.  Following the book in a smooth and exact pace, readers  will feel as if they are reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the second time. 

Five stars. 

Article posted November 28, 2010 at 03:04 AM GMT • comment (6) • Reads 47

Archeologist, Karate Master, Geologist, Ambassador, Author, Chocolate Maker,                          Professor, Virtual Pet.                                                                                    

By MD

Mr. Cocoa was born the year 1953, in Beijing, China. He did not leave his birthplace until the age of 13.  He then moved to the United States, becoming a citizen.  He learned to speak fifteen languages, including fluent Finish.    He studied at Prinston University, his is main interest being archeology.  He then studied at Yale University, receiving a masters degree in geology.  In the midst of his geologic goals, Mr. Cocoa found time to fit karate into his congested schedule.  The remarkably intelligent panda studied, practiced, and mastered karate within two years.  Mr. Cocoa had many opportunities ahead of him, and he had many job offerings.  He settled with becoming the Ambassador of China.  Mr. Cocoa did not keep this job for long, for he decided to go on an archeologist dig with twelve companions.  They dug in Egypt, in hope to discover Queen Cleopatra's tomb.  Unfortunately, they did not succeed, but did find incredible artifacts.  Mr. Cocoa later wrote a New York Times #1 best selling novel,  "The Search For Queens."  This novel was based on Mr. Cocoa's magnificent adventures within the search for the great Queen Cleopatra's tomb.  After selling the breath-taking novel, the young panda purchased a bamboo loft built in the midst of a peaceful Rain Forest.  He settled there for about a year, then finally emerged to the public, opening a chocolate store on 5th Street in New York City.  His chocolate treats were described by a critic; "The chocolate danced on my tongue.  It was that sweet cocoa taste, perfect for anyone with a sweet tooth.  But there was also a bitter taste to it, perfect for someone who enjoys sour treats.  All those sensations mix into one, and behold, the perfect, delightful, magnificent treat my mouth has awaited for so long."  Mr. Cocoa's buisness went into full blast, and soon everyone across the nation was traveling miles just for one taste of Mr. Cocoa's chocolate. After ten years of selling chocolate, Mr. Cocoa escaped publicity to a little condo on the Baja California.   Mr. Cocoa wrote another book while relaxing in his condo.  It was about chocolate.  The panda was an intelligent panda, so naturally, his writing was remarkable.  The book merely discussed all the affects chocolate has made in this world.  It also discussed the many tastes of chocolate.  The way he described the tastes brought tears to eyes of many readers.  The book was not as successful as the last, but he still made millions.  We do not have any record of what Mr. Cocoa did for five years, but he eventually came out of his hiding place, and moved to California.  He was a professor at The University of San Diego for twenty years.  He then moved to the East coast, and made friends with a young blogger.  They soon became colleagues, and to this day, Mr. Cocoa helps the blogger. Mr. Cocoa became a virtual pet in 2010. 

There is a virtual image of Mr. Cocoa on the right hand of the blog entries. 

Article posted November 28, 2010 at 02:49 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

To those who left comments on my previous blog, Holiday Pop Quiz, I thank you.  To those who didn't.... shame.  Here are the answers:

1.  Thanksgiving

2.Christmas

3.Valentines Day

4.Easter

5.Saint Patrick's Day

For those of you who answered the questions correctly, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You win one million dollars!  Just kidding.  But, you do win... the Iknowmyholidayswell badge!  This is a great honor.   You also win the permission to eat as many boxes of chocolate as your heart desires. Happy holidays!  And remember; It is far better to give then it is to receive.

Article posted November 26, 2010 at 05:00 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 40

Pop quiz.

What  holiday is most famous for turkey?

What holiday has a world famous, cookie eating, present giving, mascot?  

What holiday is all about love?

What holiday is infested with bunnies?

What holiday is celebrated in honor of a saint? Hint:  Green

If you can answer all of these really easy questions, don't worry. If you can't, you have absolutely no holiday spirit.  

Answer these questions by leaving a comment.  Now, eat a box of chocolate.

Article posted November 5, 2010 at 12:32 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 45

I'm slightly afraid of heights, therefore afraid of experiencing a ride on a Ferris Wheel.  So, you could say I am afraid of Ferris Wheels. To conquer this fear, I am writing a blog about the birth of the Ferris Wheel.  Somehow, knowing the past of something helps me understand the object or organism, thus dampening the fear of it.  What invented the Ferris Wheel?  A human.  Who invented the Ferris Wheel?  George Washington Gale Ferris Jr.  constructed and designed the first Ferris Wheel, therefore "inventing the Ferris Wheel".  Is this man's name a practical joke I am playing on you?  No, no.  When was the Ferris Wheel invented?  The Ferris Wheel was invented in 1893.  Where was the Ferris Wheel first displayed?  The Ferris Wheel was first displayed at The World's Columbian Fair in Chicago, Illinois.  Why was the Ferris Wheel invented?  The Ferris Wheel was invented to compete with the memorability of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France.  The Eiffel Tower had been built only a few years before the Ferris Wheel ,in 1889.  

I just taught you the infancy story of the Ferris Wheel.  I adore learning the history of things, don't you?  I am no longer afraid of Ferris Wheels!   Now, let us enjoy a box of chocolates as we ponder over the interesting facts just added to our abundant knowledge. 

Where did I get this information?  Go to: inventors.about.com/od/tstartinventions/ss/theme_park.htm

Article posted September 8, 2010 at 07:13 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 40

Some of you may be  sad, even scared , that a new  year has crept upon us.  Well, do not fear, for I will provide you with all-year-lasting entertainment.  Some of this entertainment will include the great Blogger's Challenge.  It will include various, and somewhat random, blogs that will suck you into my amazing writing wrath.  So always check this blog to see if I had updated anything,anything at all.  I will enchant you, dazzle you, maybe even inspire you, with my fantastic blogs that will be the gateway to your own blogging world!! ( Very dramatic, yes) We will unite the students of the world one blog at a time!!!  I hope you enjoy my blogs this year.   I will make sure there is a blog that will fit everyones interest. Blogs like comical blogs, scary blogs, sappy blogs, historic blogs, informative blogs, and so on.  You are in my amazing writing wrath. Have fun. 

Article posted June 1, 2010 at 03:47 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 41

This Glog is all about the not so famous weaver, James Hargreaves. I don't really have to tell you about him, because it's all on the glog. It was a really cool experience making these glogs. It is so cool, you can post videos on a glog! I hope you enjoy it!

Article posted January 26, 2010 at 03:43 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 45

There are so many things I love about my school!!!!  Here's a little list of the things I like:

NUMBER 1:  There are so many wonderful activities!!  We've got basketball, soccer, glee club, you name it!!!  They're fun too!  I sing for the choir and glee club, and I really enjoy it.

NUMBER 2:  We get awesome classes. We have art class, music class, computer class, library class, and..... gym class!! We are so lucky to get the great oppertunity to have these extra classes!

NUMBER 3:  The faculty.  You know, the teachers, the principal,stuff like that.  I bet you are wondering WHY I am saying this. I'm saying this because everybody knows everybody really well. The teachers know your family,  whenever the principal walks past, he says hi how are ya?? He knows your name, your parents and stuff. That's what I love. I'll always feel that at my school you are surrounded by people you love and care about, and you are always safe.

Those are the things I  love about my school!

Article posted December 15, 2009 at 03:41 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

How many of you have ever visited New York City? If you haven't, I suggest you do! If you are a country person, well I don't think you'd like it. But if you are a city person you totally would! My cousin is a journalist, ( she is a senoir in college) and has done internships in New York a few times. Last summer she had an internship for Spinn Magazine. You probably haven't heard of it. It's this magazine that is all about music. Bands and stuff like that, so my cousin got to interveiw PRETTY famous people! This winter she is an intern for Seventeen magazine! I'm so excited for her! Whenever she gets an internship we always visit her. So the more internships, the more times  i go to New YorK!!!!

Article posted November 10, 2009 at 03:49 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

Where am I going????  I always wanted to visit the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France and now, with my two Golden Tickets, my dream will FINALLY come true!!!  Who am  I taking with me??? I think I'm going to take my daddy with me because he knows how to speak french, so if a waitor at a resturant came up to our table and asked to take our order in french, my dad would know exactly what to say!  Why am I going to Paris???  I am going to Paris because I think it is a GORGEOUS city.  When am I going to Paris?  I am going to Paris in early December of 2010.  I am going to Paris then because I would love to see what it looks like during the holiday season.  How will I get there?  I will leave the Philidelphia Airport.   I will fly on AirFrance, and land at the Charels De Gaulle Airport in Paris. What will be the best part of the trip?  The best part would be the feeling of being in another country for the first time in my life!!!

You should really check out Queen Bee !  This girl is really interesting. She wrote that when she grows up she wants to be a teacher or a vet..... Just like me! Queen Bee's got alot of cool blogs, Check them out!

I have been tuning in to the post season playoffs, I think or I KNOW that it is OBVIOUSLY going to be a Phillies vs Yankees World Series=http://!!!  Baseball is a HUGE thing in our household!  We are the BIGGEST Yankee fans all around!!  When Derek Jeter broke Lou Gerig's record, we were all crying, cheering, and laughing.  I know, VERY emotional! My favorite player on the Yanks is Derek Jeter.  Whenever we watch a game, I put on my Jeter jersey.  My second favorite player is Mark Texiera. I love his game face! But really, I love every single Yankee!  What's not to like????????  They're ALL amazing players!  GO NY=http://!!!!

I have a ton of hobbies... I love to sing, act, draw, paint, write.... But most of all I love to dance. My mom danced for 20 years. Of course when I was old enough to walk, my mom signed me up to dance at a small little studio, where she learned to dance.This tiny studio taught girls classical ballet. That's why ballet is my complete favorite of all types of dance. I was three years old when my mom signed me up.... I'm now 11 and I still love to dance. I take my classes at the same old tiny studio, the same teachers... And I like that! I think It's because I'm not that crazy for change.That's why I did not like the Idea of them giving modern classes. I was so used to ballet all the time, that's why I was uneasy at  the first few classes for modern...  Now I like it, but not as much as I love ballet.Ballet

Hey Ms B from Canada! I adore books too! I think my sister loves reading a little more then me though... Golden retreivers are my favorite kind of dog=http://! When I drive, I want a smart car like the one you have. Hello to Mr. Mayhew in Australia!! That scooter was pretty cool! I couldn't help but smile while looking at it!! At first I didn't notice it was a "random person" because I was too busy laughing at the goofy flip flops. I would love to cruise around town on that funky scooter!!!! Hi Mrs Knott from Scotland! That is so, so cool how you and your class made Anderson shelters! I have always had an interest in World War Two.... One time I went to the WW2 memorial in Washington, D.C.( the capital of the USA) It was probably one of my favorite memorials in D.C. and trust me, I've seen a lot=http://!! Greetings to  Mrs. Smith in Canada! You know, you seem like such a nice teacher. And don't worry, you're not the only person who likes school. I looooooove school=http://=http://!!! School is a place where you can express yourself and make friends and learn new magnificent things! So, I agree with you Mrs. Smith... school is a great place!

What I'd like to improve on classblogmeister would definietly be to interact with other kid bloggers around the world. You know, read their blogs and write them comments. I'd also like to improve my  avatarmaker.  every few months. I also think I should be a little more careful to make sure I correct my spelling.... I hope you enjoy visiting my page!!! Hey, and while you're at it why not you check out some of my blogs?????????

Article posted July 30, 2009 at 03:08 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

One of my favorite things to do in the summer is swim at my aunt's pool. It's so cool swimming at night when the light in the pool is on and no other lights are on. Reeeeeeeelaxing=http://

Article posted June 28, 2009 at 08:30 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 46

Since I'm spending a lot of  time in North Carolina this summer, I needed to learn the state's most beloved sport : GOLFING! My parents went to  go hit some balls and they asked me if I wanted to learn. I was always willing to learn and I said yes. Trust me it's harder then the athletes on TV make it look like!

Article posted June 28, 2009 at 07:58 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

My family loves traveling during summer vacation and so do I! We all love to go to Historic sites. First I went to North Carolina, then we stayed at a house my aunt rented in the Outer Banks with some other family members. While we were in Outer Banks we visited Kitty Hawk where Wilbur and Orville Wright made the Glider in 1901 and the Flyer in 1903. It was so cool! All the information was so overwelming. We also visited Cape Hatteras and learned about the three most famous shipwrecks there and the lifesaving system. Finally we came back to North Carolina. We still haven't returned home yet and between you and me, I'm getting a little homesick!

Article posted January 9, 2009 at 09:04 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 36

Here are seven random facts about me that you probably don't know. I can recite a whole episode of Spongebob Squarepants. My dad gave me some chocolate when I was a baby and now I'm hooked to it. I've been to the old Yankee Stadium five times. I've seen Singing in the Rain six times. I was born with red hair but now, it's a really dark brown and it almost looks black. I've visited all the states on the East coast from Maine to Florida. I also once played the part of Clara in the Nutcracker.

Article posted November 20, 2008 at 01:26 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 43

I was looking for a catholic school and I came across Our Lady of Lourdes in New Zealand. Just think, New Zealand is on the other side of the world!!!!!! They're doing blogs too!! I looked up a student named Rovelyn, a 6 year student. She still spoke english, but she used some different words too, that's what really sparked my interest in reading her blogs. Miss Cassidy, their teacher, posted an assignment on their page. It was called,"Make Your Own Wild Self." For this assignment, the students had to make artwork. The pictures of the artwork were really cool!!!!!! To see more of Miss Cassidy's and her students blogs go to:  http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1638

I love to dance. It's the thing I do best. I take 3 classes a week and have Nutcracker rehearsal on the weekend. It's a pretty busy schedule! I take pre-point,ballet technique,and modern. Ballet and pre-point are my favorites. When I dance ballet, I feel like a swan floating across a sheet of water. When I dance modern, I feel strong and powerful.

The dance studio I dance at is on the second floor of a weird 70's building. The hallway smells really, really bad, and the bathrooms are gross,but when I get in the studio, I feel like I'm entering ballet heaven! For me, ballet heaven is performing on stage. That's why I love Nutcracker rehearsal so much! The Nutcracker is a dance that we perform every Christmas. Last year was our first, and I played the part of Clara. For this year's performance I'm in the Marzipan, Candy Cane, and Party Scene dance. It took us about 4 weeks to learn these dances, and now at rehearsal, we are just trying to perfect them. I always look forward to Nutcracker rehearsal. For me dance is more then a hobby, it's a passion that I'll keep for the rest of my life.

Article posted September 23, 2008 at 03:09 AM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 42

I think that the first thing the President should do after he is sworn into office is arrange a meeting with all of the governor's in the United States and have them all discuss ways for American people to have more money to pay their mortgages and their bills and pay for gas. I think the president should encourage companies to be more energy efficient and use less gas from other countries. I think the President should definitely start saving the environment and make a cleaner way to make buildings and make things with less pollution. For example electric cars that don't put out puffs of smoke. He should also encourage countries that have many people to care about the environment. I also think the President should start to get workers to make run down areas in cities and turn them in to pleasant places to live and work. Try to use the old buildings instead of tearing places down and building new buildings and making more pollution. Let's get the next President to PLUG IN the White House!