"Bag of Bones" Blog-

What an amazing journey we are on, discovering all the ways technology can help us to learn more, share more, and become more. There is something new and exciting around every bend.

by teacher: Mrs. Ruffing

Article posted April 12, 2012 at 02:12 AM GMT • comment • Reads 77

The stock market is essential to moving money and creating a larger economy. Companies can sell part of their business. Then investors buy stocks, or shares.This means that several thousand people can own tiny parts of a company. If a company does well, meaning that they gain a substantial amount of money from their business, then the investors gain money.The cycle of which people buy and sell stocks is very interesting and complex. For more information on the stock market and how people share and sell stocks, click here. The stock market allows people to play an important role in the fate of our economy. 

Article posted February 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM GMT • comment • Reads 100

I am saddened to say that my very humble and courageous best friend Rose has passed away today, on August 24, in the year 1617. Rose has definitely been my inspiration throughout our years together. She is the humblest and bravest person I have met in my entire life. She taught me how to overcome temptations from the devil. I definitely saw a spark in her eye when she talked about the Lord. Rose had a great and radiating love for Him. I admired how her heart was set straight on the Lord, and no one else. Although I mourn over her death, I know she would have wanted me to spread the word of our Lord to others. She would have wanted me to be out in the world, helping others, and forever praying and doing my penance, which she stressed. Rose would have wanted me to have immense faith in our Lord.

I will always remember how much of an influence she had on me before she passed away. She was born on April 20,1586, two days before I was born in our town of Lima in Peru. She had once complained to me about how everyone called her Rose, because of how beautiful she truly was, even though her real name was Isabel.While I was talking to a servant, he claimed to have seen her face transform into a rose when she was a small child! In 1597, we were both confirmed personally by the Archbishop of Lima. She finally came around and also formally took the name Rose. Rose went through some temptations from the devil, though. She went through a phase a loneliness and sadness but with the help of the Lord, she overcame them. Rose really looked up to Saint Catherine of Sienna. So much that she began to fast three times and week and performed severe penances in secret. She rarely talked about this though. Even though I told her not to, she cut off her beautiful, long hair and disfigured her face with pepper and lye.Rose also wore a silver circlet of silver, studded on the inside, like a crown of thorns. She hurt herself in many other ways, despite my objections, so that no one would want to marry her.She also took a vow of virginity, which completely surprised me since both of our parents expected us to find good suitors.

Even when Rose found time to talk to me, most of the time it was about the Lord. Her face lit up when she told me about Him. We both also enjoyed helping out the sick and hungry in our town. Rose loved her parents dearly and sold her needlework and lovely flowers she grew to help out her family. As time drifted on, we only saw each other on the way to church due to the fact her nights consisted of prayer and penance in a grotto she had built and her days she mostly stayed in her room apparently, and only left when she went to church. As the years went by she finally decided she would join the Third World of St. Dominic, even though her father had a different future planned for her. I was very proud of her. In a letter she had sent me, she had stated that she finally took the vow of perpetual virginity. The thing that surprised me the most though, was that she wrote me a letter telling me how she was to get ready for her death. A few weeks later I got a letter stating Rose had grown severely sick and had passed on the exact date that she prophesied.

Postscript

I chose St. Rose of Lima as the saint whom I would like emulate and take the name of on my confirmation day. I am inspired by her willingness to put God before her beauty and by her pure devotion to the Lord. She truly represents someone with an amazing connection to God, which I strive for always. I also admire her willingness to help others. St. Rose of Lima is a truly courageous, faith-filled, loving, and humble person.She devoted her entire life to one person, the Lord. I pray that one day I will be like her. I want to take her name so I can always remember how much of an inspiration she is in my life.

Above is a stained glass window at St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church of St. Rose of Lima.

St. Rose of Lima window by Steve Grant under CCL

Noticing that there were so many problems going on in our world, many nations came together in 2000 and created 8 goals that weren't the easiest to achieve, but weren't impossible. They are called the Millennium Development Goals. These goals ensured that if they were achieved, there would be a lot of improvement in our world. Together we can help achieve these goals by the set year - 2015.

These goals are:

1. Eradicate (put an end to) extreme poverty and hunger

2. Achieve universal primary education

3. Promote gender equality and empower women

4. Reduce child mortality

5. Improve maternal health

6. Combat HIV/Aids, malaria and other diseases

7. Ensure environmental sustainability

8. Develop a global partnership for development

On September 25, 2008, there was an event at the United Nations Headquarters to raise money for these goals with the help of UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and General Assembly President Miguel D'Escoto. With the help of governments, foundations, businesses, and civil society groups they raised quite a lot of money. They made almost $16 billion all together. This included $1.6 billion to help fight hunger, $4.5 billion for education and $3 billion to fight malaria.

School Blackboard by H20 Alchemist under CC License

My goals for seventh grade are to study as hard as I can, and do all of my homework. I expected seventh grade to be hard and I am prepared to do my best. I also intend to become a better blogger. I want to try my hardest to make the articles I post enjoyable and interesting. I am also excited to participate in the Bloggers' Challenge. This year I intend to become a better blogger and a better student in my school.

Article posted June 1, 2010 at 04:26 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 34

I enjoyed using edu.glogster for my John Kay glog project. I think using edu.glogster is easier than making a poster because then we are not wasting paper. Also, I believe it is easier to show pictures. You can also put videos on the glog. You can also create hyperlinks and embed the glog onto another page. I believe this would be very useful for science fair. Instead of using all the posterboard and paper all you would have to do was work on it on the computer. I would definitely want to use edu.glogster again.

Although the computers are wonderful things to use we need to be safe when using them. 

Here are some ways to be safe:

1.  You shouldn't put anything up on a social networking site (such as pictures) that you don't want others to see. 

2. You shouldn't answer to an email that asks for personal information.

3. When buying something online make sure it is a well known retailer. 

4. When IMing someone remember that whatever you sent the person can be sent to anyone else.

5. Remember when you post a picture on a site ( such as Facebook or Myspace) even though if you have your profile set to private people can still see your profile picture.

6. You shouldn't go to sites that ask for credit card information or social security information.

7. If someone is cyberbulling you try to ignore it. 

8. If the cyberbulling get out of hand tell a parent and save the email or conversation.

9. You should only add people you know as a friend on social networking sites.

10. You should use some common sense! If something seems fishy, anything at all tell a parent or a trusted teacher.   

Although computers are meant to be used for fun we have to take certain safety procautions when using them.

I think our school should have a variety of classes. We could have a drama club, book club, or a science club! While some people might think this is a bad idea I think this might help people “expand their horizons". Instead of changing seat at lunch every quarter we should change seats every month or so. That way we could talk to people we usually don't talk to. I also think we should have sports all year long. Volleyball only goes into the fall then it stops. Maybe we could have volleyball games for fun in the winter. I also think we should have a salad bar at lunch. I don't like everything we have for lunch but I do enjoy eating salad! I really think we should have a book club. People should at least read one book in a week or so. Maybe one day we will have a salad bar, book club, and a drama club.  

There are many great things about my school. One of them is the teachers. The teachers are awesome and are always there for us. While at times we may not enjoy school there are times when school can be fun. Another thing that is great about my school is my friends. I met tons of great friends at my school. Finally, in our school we have assemblies. We are very fortunate to have assemblies. These assemblies add to our knowledge of animals, history, and music.  I'm very blessed to go to such a great school.

Count Out One - The first blog I visited was Mrs. Browns blog called Haultain Hawks Grade 5&6. They are from Canada.

Count Out Two - From there I went to Mrs.Lowes blog called Mrs. Lowe's Area 11 Bloggers. They are from Australia.

Count Out Three - Then I looked at Bridget R's blog called Bridget Blog. I chose to comment on her article called Icy Water.

I enjoyed reading the facts about polar bears and walruses. I also enjoyed looking at the pictures. I thought the article was very informative. Do you like reading about other animals aswell?

Article posted November 21, 2009 at 12:17 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

Please remember: I do take this seriously. I'de love to hear what you have to say about this little preview of my book.

Winchester Academy

My life was about to change forever, when I opened the magnificent doors that allowed me to enter the Winchester Academy. I thought this was just a regular school, with the sterotypical cliques. I was absolutely wrong.

Chapter One

"Honey, we're just suggesting you go away for a while," my mom said quietly. "Maybe regular school isn't right for you?" my brother chimed in. "You don't understand..." I hissed through my teeth. "I know you can't leave me sis," My brother Adam said. "Well forget that, you're going," my father said sternly. I sighed in defeat. They were absolutely right. Regular school isn't for me. I'm to weird, too unique for regular school. I wasn't sure what was going to be beyond the gates that led into the Winchest Adademy. I had an errie feeling I didn't want to know.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.  

Article posted November 20, 2009 at 03:16 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 34

If I was an animal I would be a panda. I would sit by the bamboo stocks just incase I needed a snack. You would have thought that I was the laziest creature on Earth! I would be very quiet and serene. I'de be to caught up in my fake world of food to notice that you were trying to talk to me. I would be nice to all the creatures.

I'de live in the zoo, for I would love pleasing the visitors with my tricks. The children would call me "cute" and "cuddly". I would just smile and carry on with my business. When the lights go out in the zoo I'de lay down and dream and more food. Yum! I would enjoy chattig with all of the other pandas. I would defanitly love to be a panda.

It's such luck that I got two tickets to go anywhere I want!  There are too many places to choose from. Where will I go? I decided I'll go to the Canals of Venice. I will also visit Rome along the way. Why am I going here? I think that going to ride down on the Canals of Venice on a gondola would be a great experience! The Canals of Venice could take you anywhere in Venice. When will we go? I'de probally go during spring, when it's not to warm or cool. How will we travel there? We'de take a plane from the JFK Airport all the way to Italy. Once we were in Italy we would rent a car and drive north to our hotel up my Rome. Once we were in Rome we would stay in a hotel in Rome for a couple of days. Then we would drive up north some more and stay in another hotel in Venice. What would be the best part of the trip? I've always wanted  ride down the Canals of Venice. I also think that just going to Rome would be great. I'de probally also check out all of the sculptures and all the pieces of art! Who would you go with? I would go with my best friend. Both of us have always wanted to go to the Canals of Venice. We both want to travel all over the world together. It would be so much fun!

Citication:

The Grand Canal, Venice. Retrived 17 November 2009.

One of the things that I like to do in my free time is play volleyball.  I never thought I was any good at playing volleyball, but now I can overhand serve! I like how everybody gets to play and nobody gets left out. It's kind of competitive though. I mean people want to win every once and a while. I also enjoy making friends with everybody on the team!

Critications

Volleyball Retrieved 27 October 2009

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/beach-volleyball.jpg

I thought Eagle Kid #7 's  (from Hong Kong) blog was very interesting. I especially enjoyed reading the Surfer Dog article on her page. I also enjoyed looking at all the other blogs from the class. I also liked her avatar. I thought that her article on Halloween was really cool. You guys should go check out the teacher's blog too!

I personally think that climate change affects everyone. Since the world is getting warmer in a way the ice in Artic is starting to melt! This means that polar bears have less ice to stand on. That means that polar bears have to swim for long distances just to find ice to stand on. Then since the ice will melt and it will take up more land. The world seems to get just too hot! Basically, scientists think pollution is the cause of this. The real question is: What can we do to stop climate change? Well we need to stop burning fossil fuels. When you burn fossil fuels you put Carbon Dioxide and some other gasses into the air. Which, if you have too much of it, it can be bad. We should try to reduce how many cars are on the road. We could try traveling by bike or just by walking! This all leads to the fact that all of us can change the Earth!

Keep on blogging!

Article posted October 9, 2009 at 02:17 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

I was wondering If I should start writing books. I've started about three books (in which all three of then epicly failed). Should I continue writing? It would be nice if there was more kid writers about there. I know of a few kid writers but not many.  I do know of the hard work, time, commitment, it takes to be a writer. I am very commited to writing. No one really knows of what I have written.  I honestly will say all the hard work is worth it. Any help? Please comment bloggers!

Keep On Blogging!

Article posted October 6, 2009 at 02:48 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

If I could comment on these students' pages I would say:

Katie's Blog

Article: 7 Random Things About Me!

Hi Katie, I wish I could do fencing! Is it a competitive sport? I have a dog too. He's a Siberian Husky Shepherd Mix. My mom says we might get a Black Lab puppy! Come visit my blog sometime!

-- KS from Pennsylvania

Black Cat's Blog

Article: About Me!

Hi Black Cat! I noticed that you like to read in your spare time. I also enjoy reading. What kind of books do you like? I also saw that your favorite animal is a wolf. I like wolves too because they are kind of related to the dog in a way. You should visit my blog sometime!

-- KS from Pennsylvania

Tigergirl's Blog

Article: Why I don't need Math!

Hi Tigergirl! I totally agree with you. I hate doing math. No matter what my Math teacher says, I'll never do Math unless I really have to! It honestly takes too long in my opinion. Come check out my blog sometime!

-- KS from Pennsylvania

Sophie's Blog

Article: Jam Packed!

Hi Sophie! That really cool that you learned about robotics. Our teacher should teach us about that kind of stuff. The Pedal Prix thing sounds really cool! I hope you guys win in future competitions! Come check out my blog!

--KS from Pennsylvania

Ailsa's Blog

Article: El Shaddai Camp 2009

Hi Ailsa! You guys are lucky you went to a camp. I have always wanted to go rock climbing! I'm so going to check out the site. You should check out my blog!

--KS from Pennsylvania

Keep On Blogging!

Article posted September 19, 2009 at 12:41 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 37

I hope to become a better blogger by doing this challenge. I hope this challenge will help me learn better grammar. I  am also very thrilled to know that people from around the world have been visiting our blogging site. If you'd like to learn more about me go and read my "About Me" section on my blog. If you want to create an avatar click on the hyperlink to go and make your  avatar!

Keep On Blogging!

Article posted January 12, 2009 at 06:30 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 34

I'm writing a story! It is called "Whats Wrong with Witchcraft?". It is about a girl named Sapphire who finds out that her friends and family are witches and wizards! Over the summer break she learns spells and potions to save her from a man who might just kill her mother. Her mother was in a witch society. She hopes her daughter will follow as she did. Sapphire's aunt, Lucile, will face many problems as she trains them. Sapphire's friends just happened to be wizards and witches too! In this journey she will face many challenges like facing the all-ruling dark wizard. Her new dog, Ember, might just have the answers to where he is. They all have to stop him to save all the mythical creatures from dieing. Also, the has to brace herself as she goes into the land of all mythical creatures. Will she succeed? I'm not sure yet! 

Article posted January 9, 2009 at 11:55 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 33

in inkheart they don't even tell you the history of what happens untill Chaper 16. I mean gosh i would not leave my readers clueless till Chaper 16. I'm not sure I want to finish read this. Any help? Please comment I need some idea of this book.?

I love books. Not trying to mean but i don't know why people don't read more often! My love for animals is wonderful. I hope in starting a animal clinic in my town. I always wanted to go to England. I would love going to see more about their history. I'm a paranormal freak. I love researchign about ghosts and other unexplaned things. I want to research that in the Sun Inn. I read in a book that the place is haunted. See! Even books can give great information. I have one step-brother who really annoys me. One time he locked me in my own closet!  I play vollyball and softball. My teams were not that competitive it was fun to meet people from other school who were on my team.  I play the clarinet. I learn from a great teacher. I hope to someday be in my own orchestra. I would love conduct one too! Bonus Fact: I love helping out people with their problems. If you need any help I'm there for you too!

Article posted November 24, 2008 at 06:25 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 34

Twilight ,the first book was very interesting. I thought that Bella was very stubborn. That is just me though.  She seemed as if they did not want to get along. At the end it was okay. It seems as if she has tons of  friends. That goes to show you that even when you are new at school you can meet ANYONE.  The characters are very down to earth. They go through problems that would be similar to what we go through. Even though vampires don't exist they still go throguh regular human problems. Like when Bella fainted in the lab. It could have happened to anyone! I suggest this series to everyone. It is a very wonderful book.

Article posted September 27, 2008 at 01:16 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

I think we should have more variety. Like more food varieties. Like the salad bar,cookies, or just more things. I also think we shouldent have a lunch mom for the higher grades. We are old enought to know how to act. We should have different sports played here. Not just soccer,track,cheerleading,ect. We should think about ways to help the earth inside of our school. More fundraising would help too. Assemblies are very helpful. They help us learn about things. Like the music one. Where we learned about backround music for games and TV shows.It also gives us a look at what this job would look like. I give my princible a thumbs up on our school.

Article posted September 20, 2008 at 09:24 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 33

I think kids should read more. I mean we have all this high-tech stuff like the Wii and the Nintendo. But when we read we learn to think about the story. What’s the point of staring at a game or TV all day long? It’s ok to go on a little bit but not all day. Me personally until I get a good book I go on the computer.

I’m NOT trying to say to u that u shouldn’t watch TV or play a game at all. What I mean is read a book or go outside. Some of the kids in our world are obese which I personally feel really bad about. Or some peoples have conditions which makes them physically handicapped. So we should try to exercise and exercise our brains. It’s always good to mentally and physically healthy.

I think the new president should end the war. What’s the point in having people die if we can have international peace? We can have world trades. All these people serve for our country. They probably only see their family for a short time period. We need to give them a break. Our president should be peaceful. He should want change