Copyright (c) 2014 by Sheila Adams Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Sheila Adams -- Blogmeister

Rye JH - 7th Grade Science - Sheila Adams-

Ms. Adams' Blog

This space is for sharing information, links, and activities for 7th grade science at Rye Jr. High (A Middle School) in Rye, NH, USA. Student blogs are located at http://tinyurl.com/7thblog or http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=266813

by Sheila Adams

Rye Jr. High School
Science Class web page
Ms. Ellwood's Web Page
Ms. Adams Web Page
Earthbridges
7th Grade Blogs
8th Grade Blogs
6th Grade Blogs

Article posted March 18, 2013 at 01:02 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 1530

Another school year has started! We are getting to know each other and where things are located in the building. Seventh grade is very different than the other grades in our school. In 7th grade, the students from Rye are joined by the students from a neighboring town (and island) of New Castle. It's an exciting time of year to catch up with each other and get a glimpse of the coming year.

Article posted June 4, 2012 at 09:02 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 171

This was our 5th year participating in the Earth Day webcast. Unfortunately, Earth Day, April 22, fell on a Sunday, so we chose to webcast on April 20th. Our school created a live stream on the internet (webcast) for 7 hours! We broke our record!

This year, each of the 7th grade science classes discussed extreme weather. We researched the definition, causes, safety precautions and more about tornadoes, hurricanes, lightning and flash floods. During the discussion, we had a chat room available for listeners to interact with the students. We had participants from NH, MA, CA, AZ, Canada, Argentina, Korea and United Arab Emirates that we could recognize in the chat. We also had many parents and community members, even my parents, listen in during the day. The chat room provided immediate feedback for the students. We answered questions and learned from the participants.

We tried a new piece out this year. A small group of students went across the street to the bank with a cell phone. We had permission from the bank to ask their patrons what they would be doing for Earth Day. It wasn't a busy time of the day but we did get some people who were happy to speak with us.

We also webcasted for other schools. North Hampton, NH's 7th graders were on remote, reporting in via cell phone. They have a tradition of cleaning up a local park. The students reported what was happening and how important Earth Day is to them. We also interviewed a school in East Los Angeles, CA. They had started a garden and an ecology club. We spoke with the students and the voluteers who had started the programs. Well done third graders of Mr. Rodiguez!

As the day, progressed, we had students come in and out of our classroom studio. [It was also our Sports Day at school.] Just before school let out, we were visited by our Superintendent, Dr. George Cushing! The students asked him about his memories of the first Earth Day celebration in 1970. We even continued after school, on the day before our April vacation! Mr. Betournay and the 8th graders discussed their progress on creating solar cars, both small scale and the actual car out back!

I love the enthusiasm and the professionalism of the students! Never underestimate what they can do if given the opportunity!

Make your own slide show at Animoto.

Article posted June 4, 2012 at 08:18 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 229

Mr. Pete DeMeritt returned to our class to share his experiences about his trip to Belize, in Central America. He was a participant in the Belize-UNH Teacher Program and delivered some ABC books from our 7th grade class. (see previous post) Our books were enjoyed by students in the rural Toledo District. This is the 23rd year that we have exchanged projects.

Mr. DeMeritt was able to bring back a gift from one of the classes. It was their own ABC book about Belize! He read each page aloud to us and was able to share about each student who created the page. The pages had information about their food, animals or ways of life. Each page reminded him of an event or story on his trip. It was a unique way to share. Our imaginations could create our own 'picture' of each child and the country.

Thank you, Mr. DeMeritt!

Article posted March 4, 2012 at 09:17 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 136

For the 23rd year, our 7th graders created projects for students in the southern district of Belize, Central America. This year, Pete DeMeritt will be delivering ABC books to Belize. The 7th graders created ABC books about New Hampshire in English to share our culture. We also created some books in their native languages of Garifuna and Ketchi (Mayan). We discovered that the Ketchi language has no F or V sounds, therefore, we didn't create pages for these letters.

Make your own slide show at Animoto.

- Posted by Ms. Adams

Article posted March 4, 2012 at 08:51 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 221

Digital Learning Day was February 1, 2012. Ms. Adams' Flex class participated by skyping with a kindergarten class at Dondero School in Portsmouth, NH. They had created pages for a NH ABC book. We were about to create a similar project. Each student shared their image and read their letter and word that went with it. They gave us many ideas for our ABC book which we were going to send down to Belize, Central America.

Submitted by Ms. Adams

Article posted March 4, 2012 at 08:34 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 112

During the week before February vacation, we skyped with a Kindergarten classroom in Deerfield, NH. One of our students had done some research on the Northern Cardinal for science class and one of the Kindergarteners was working on the same bird for their Bird Wiki. They shared notes and their projects.

badge3cd9397f2938471a7a92d670719727fe16de666d

Article posted March 4, 2012 at 08:33 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 205

Webcasting in the classroom requires several skills. This was our first webcast for the year and I was so pleased with the way the students handled all the jobs. We first researched information about Dr. Roper then developed questions. The questions were prioritized and then arranged in a logical pattern that would keep the interview interesting.

For the webcast, each student had a role. Some of the roles included monitoring the chat room for questions, welcoming people into the chat room, question navigator (someone to queue the questions), photographer, and each had an opportunity to ask questions. The students learned that during the interview, they had to be able to multitask. They had to ask a question, listen to the answer, respond if necessary, read the questions in the chat room, and then determine the next question based on his response and the activity in the chatroom. It's a bit more difficult than it appears!

We connected with Dr. Roper using our science classroom's Skype account and I was able to webcast from my computer which showed the video of Dr. Roper. Each student received a 'webcasting badge' for their own blog.

Posted by S. Adams

Article posted March 4, 2012 at 08:32 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 159

A small group of 7th grade students had an opportunity to interview Dr. Clyde Roper. He is a Giant Squid expert among other things. He has studied cephalopods for many years in many parts of the world. He is internationally recognized as an expert in the field and has participated in several documentaries. He has worked at the Smithsonian Institute's Museum of Natural History since 1966.

We discovered that Dr. Roper grew up in our town of Rye, NH! He even went to our school. Dr. Roper shared how he got interested in marine studies. He even had an opportunity to discover a new species!

The whole conversation was webcasted live on the internet which allowed others to listen in real time. We webcast (or stream) on the Earthbridges Channel which supplies a chat room. Other classes and individuals used the chat room to ask questions and comment during the webcast. We had guests from NH, NY, AZ, Canada and others who didn't share where they were from.

This webcast is part of a series of Earthcast Echoes with Ms. Adams.[http://earthbridges.net]

Here is the webcast for you to enjoy.

Video streaming by Ustream

Posted by S. Adams

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 09:25 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 124

I had a great opportunity to talk with the Gems (Year 2 students) from Brisbane, Australia. I was introduced to the Gems earlier in the year (2011) through videos and reading their blogs. In June, their teacher, Mrs. Marrinan, was able to visit our school for a day.

Recently, another NH teacher, Mrs. Knee, and I were able to skype in the evening in order to talk with the students during their day. The students were winding down their school year as it was their last two days of school! We had conversations about their year and blogging in the classroom. They were well versed and articulated their thoughts very well. In fact, we recorded the skype call and used it in our workshop the following day!

The Gems will be moving on to the Year 3 classrooms and we wish them well!

Article posted November 2, 2011 at 10:41 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 118

Most books and other visual aids have it wrong. The planets are drawn to scale in size but not in distance. Or the planets are all lined up on one side of the Sun with the correct spacing, but the sizes are off. There's a reason for this, it's very difficult to use the same scale for both size and distance on the same page or poster. To better understand this concept, we had to go outside.

If the Sun was the size of a beach ball, where and how big would the planets be? I received permission from the town to spray paint the road with the planet names. We started with the Sun at the school sign. Do you know where the planets are? Here's a hint, Earth is the size of a pea and would be located at the end of the driveway. Feel free to take the planet walk with your child down Wallis Road.

Photos to come!

Rye 7th Team -

Ms. Adams - 7th grade science teacher; Co-leader of the Belize-UNH Teacher Program; Past President of NHSTE [nhste.org]

EarthCast 2012
Earthcast11 Badge

Click here to get more mini-SharkBreak widgets - www.SharkBreak.com
CURRENT MOON
--- ---
This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called MyOats. Make your own badge here.

badge