Copyright (c) 2014 by Fiver Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Fiver -- Blogmeister

2008-2009

All the students in room 15 teach and learn from each other. The challenges that are achieved are limited only by the restrictions of their own minds!

by Fiver

teacher: Michael La Marr

In chapter 15 of the book The Cay, the author,Theodore Taylor,”killed” one of the two main characters named Timothy, leaving 11 year-old Phillip blind and alone on the small, forgotten cay that they were stranded on together. I think Taylor did this because he wanted to make the story dramatic. I just finished a book in which the author kills 3 of the 5 main characters. It made the story very dramatic. Killing a main character makes the story dramatic because it makes you think,”How can this character have died? He was so important to the story!”
I think it was a good choice for Taylor to “kill” Timothy. It made me think “How can this little, blind boy survive on a small cay without an adult and almost no chance of rescue?” I actually think it was good that Timothy died. The story wouldn’t be as good if it didn’t happen. Every good book has a bit of shock,and I think Taylor definitely gave shock to The Cay.

Article posted October 10, 2008 at 03:24 PM • comment (5) • Reads 55 • see all articles