Copyright (c) 2014 by AJ Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
AJ -- Blogmeister

AJ's Super Blog Story

0809

by AJ

Title: DANGER! (01/26/09)
Description: In our class, we are exploring electricity. We spoke about how dangerous it is and many of the safety rules that we must follow as scientists. Today, a gentleman came from The Long Island Power Authority, and he spoke to us about that very subject. What did we learn? What did you think of his presentation? How would you get the information out to the students of our school that were not at the presentation? Be creative, and remember that the message is very important.

You may also add any other information that you would like.

Also, you can comment on blog entries of other students in our classroom or in classrooms that we are sharing with.

Make sure that you TRIPLE check your blog and your comments for proper capitalization, grammar, punctuation and spelling!

***Remember that a blog is NOT a journal. What you write can and will be viewed by other people, so DO NOT put any sensitive or personal information!***

When we talked about electricity with the worker from The Long Island Power Authority, I think we learned that electricity can be very dangerous. For example, if you are flying a kite outside and it gets tangled in a wire. DON'T TOUCH THE STRING=http://=http://! By the way, electricity is alaways looking for a way to get to the ground so if you touch that string, the electricity might travel through the string of the kite and through your body. The worker calls that "Path to ground.

I think that the workers presentation was very good because it gave me a heads-up on what I should look out for when I'm near electricity.

I would get the information to the kids that didn't go to this presentation by telling them about electricity and how it can affect you and also, how powerful it can be. I would also tell them not to fool around with it. As I tell different kids the word will spread and soon, a lot of kids would know about and be careful with what they do when they are around electricity.

We learned that if there is a wire on the floor don't touch it. We actually learned alot of great things it was a very intresting presentation. I thought his presentation was amazing I loved it I just learned so much great things. I would actually get the information to the other kids that weren't there by telling them about it.

A few weeks/days ago, our class and another fourth grade class got to meet a retired worker from LIPA (an electric company) to explain many things about safety. I think he did a nice job and I think the most important thing to remember is: electricity is always trying to find a path to ground meaning if there is electricity in a pipe in the sky, don't touch the pipe while touching the ground. If you do, electricity will travel through you, (meaning 50% chance of death or otherwise serious injury) and go to the ground. However, there is one way to get out of the bus safely if there is electricity in a bus.

(like when a electric pole has fallen down and the electricity has gone into the bus. The electricity will not hurt you unless you make it a path-to-ground. so this is what you can do:

open the emergency back door, place your arms together and jump off. DO NOT TOUCH THE BUS or as I said, you create a path to ground, causing:

electricity to go through you, and 50% chance of death or otherwise serious injury. So whatever you do, DO NOT EVER MAKE A PATH TO GROUND or:

electricity to go through you, and 50% chance of death or otherwise serious injury. Bye bye =)

Today we learned about electricity and how we're not supposed to use it. We learned that if a wire fell down DO NOT GO NEXT TO IT=http://!!!!Just call the police, or tell someone that you know like your parents ,or someone. I thought his presentation was very cool because he took a model and showed us what would happen if you did something dangerous. For the people who didn't come to the presentation the man that came explaned how dangerous electricity can be and how you should never play with wires that are hanging down and never pull wires. Ok, bey bey!:)

Article posted January 27, 2009 at 12:30 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 41

1.We learned to be safe when a electricity wire goes on a bus,what's in a big box,and never to touch a electric cable laying on the ground.

2.I think his presentation was good because it can give us saftey.

3.I would give the students that didn't go to the presantation the information by e-mail.

What I learned from the gentleman that came from LIPA is:

1. Never fly a balloon or a kite near a wire post.

2. Don't put 6 plugs in a 6 plugger because if you do that, it will create lots of heat and then it might cause a serious problem such as fires.

3. There is a green box that has all the electricity. Do not touch it because it is very dangerous.

Thank you for reading my blog! Michelle :)

Ouch! You may hear this if someone gets shocked. Today, this blog’s topic is electricity. Today my class got to see a presentation from a man who works for LIPA (Long Island Power Authority). He told us how electricity is DANGEROUS, safety tips, and how to avoid getting shocked. My class leaned that electricity is always looking for a path to the ground, and if it has to go through you, it will and you will get shocked. We also learned that if something is touching a wire, and you’re touching it and the ground, electricity found a path to the ground and you will get shocked. Also, we learned that if a socket is meant for two plugs don’t put more than two plugs in it. I think that his presentation was very informative and cool to learn facts about electricity that I did not know. I would get the information out to the students who were not at the presentation by doing a writing piece on it. So now you know some information about electricity, and remember if you hear someone say ouch, they might have gotten an electrical shock, and how to be safe from getting an electrical shock. So what do I usually say now, oh right, bye.

Article posted January 30, 2009 at 12:45 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 41

On Monday, a person from LIPA came to talk about electricity. I learned that you should never create a path to ground. Path to ground means that electricity is always try to go back into the ground. What I liked about his presentation is that inside the model house, the fire looked real and when a model person touched electricity, there was always the ZZZZZZZZZZZZ sound. If someone couldn't attend the LIPA presentation, I would either tell them in person or write a letter to them. That's what I would do.

Article posted January 27, 2009 at 12:18 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 36

I learned not to play with eletricity. I liked the man's presentation because he talked about eletrical things that can be dangerous. Some of them I didn't even know. I would give this information by passing it to people so they can pass it to another person. Stay tuned for my next blog.

Article posted February 2, 2009 at 01:35 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 42

It was very interesting learning about electricity. I never knew that electricity

had paths to ground. When you work with electricity you need to wear special gear so you don't get shocked. I would tell students that electricity can be very dangerous. You have to take proper precaution when you are near it. Maybe they can do a check list with their parents to make sure their homes are safe from broken wires,and also never pull plugs out of the walls. I'm glad I learned about the dangers of electricity. I always want to be safe.

Article posted January 30, 2009 at 12:52 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 43

I learned about how LIPA company makes electricity. I also learned that birds do not get electrocuted when they are on electric cables. They do not get electrocuted because they never touch the ground. Cars also do not get electrocuted because they have rubber wheels. Most importantly, we have to be careful because a young girl lost her two arms when she touched a electric green cable box.

Article posted January 28, 2009 at 01:45 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 41

Today we learned about how electricity is dangerous to us. A man from LIPA came to show how dangerous it could be. I think the presentation was cool because, he showed us a model of a house and all the things that could happen if you do not know the rules of electric. I would tell the students to be safe by not touching outlets, wires, water and boxes. Be safe!!!

Today a man from a electricity company came to my school. He told us the right thing to do with electricity. He told us never touch a wire when you are on the ground. He said never touch a fence a car or a bus if a wire fell on it. If you are on the bus or a car don't panic just jump out but when you jump out don't touch the ground and the bus or car at the same time or you will get shock. If you ever climb a tree and you see a wire in the tree deon't touch it or else. He also said to not throw anything on wire in the are or you can't get it back. THe most important thing he said was is you see a big green box in front of your school like mine don't break the lock because there are wires in there that will hurt you. He told us a story about a couple of teenagers broke the lock on the box and left the doors open. So a little girl in kindergarden or first grade came by the box and stuck her hands in the box let me say she lived but she lost her hands. So to tell all the other kids about electricity is everything I just sad. THAT IS WHY ELECTRICETY IS DANGEROUS.

Article posted January 30, 2009 at 12:41 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 40

When the gentlemen came from Long Island Power Authority he taught us a lot. He told us the safety directions when you’re in an electrical crisis. He showed us important insulated tools that LIPA employers use. Insulated tools are special tools that electrical workers use. They are able not to get the worker electrocuted. His presentation was very good. He showed us the things that could happen if you touched electrical boxes. The way he did this is by showing us a model of a kid and when ever he moved the kid to dangerous electrical instruments, a small flame will come as if the kid was getting electrocuted. It was a very interesting way to show it and, I don’t know about the other kids, but it got my attention. I feel bad for the kids who didn’t get to see this presentation. But, maybe the Searingtown 4th grade students can make a project, when we’re done with the electricity unit, about what we learned. This way the kid’s who were and weren’t here could see it and learn, themselves, about safety when near and around electricity. I really enjoyed the LIPA visit. I learned a lot. I hope the kid’s for the next few years get to see this because it is great information!!!!     

Article posted January 29, 2009 at 12:13 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 41

Yesterday a person came to our school he was from the Long Island Power Authority.  He talked about the danger of electricity.  He talked about path to ground.  This means electricity going through a path.  Electricity is very dangerous because you can get shocked.  You should keep electriciy away from water. That is what I learned from him.

Hi! Hello! OK. So I wasn't at school for the LIPA presentation so I'm going to tell you a little story about Anastasia and I at a soccer game this past Sunday. So after the game, (we won!) our team was walking towards our parents, and I saw a High Voltage sign and these huge metal boxes with numbers on them for how dangerous they were (I think...) but of course I didn't touch them... High Voltage signs look like a triangle with lightning in them. So be careful!...

Kayla

We learned all about the safety of electricity and about how it works. I think it was pretty fun because of all of the dolls that he used to demonstrate the safety of electricity. It also taught me a lot about electricity. Some kids might have thought it was bad. Some kids might thought it was good. I would teach them all about the safety and how electricity works. I would use those electrical dolls too!!! Its mostly everthing the worker did at his presentation!!! BYE=http://!!!!

On Monday a man from LIPA came to our school. He taught us about saftey, handling electricity, and what will happen if something goes wrong with it. I thought his presentation was intresting. To tell other people about the presentation is by just walking up to your friend and start talking about it.

That is the ELECTRICITY Blog!

We learned that you shouldn't pull on a wire to un plug something. You should hold it where it's thicker. If you keep pulling it wires can polk through and when you touch it you'll get shocked.

I thought that his presentation was very interesting. I learned alot of interesting facts about electricity.

We learned about safety and what to do when a power line is broken. The students who didn't go to the presentaion I would tell them about it. I would tell them about never open electrical boxes, never throw anything on power lines and always use surge protecters. The presentation was excellent because he told us what we didn't now about electricity.

Hey, I learned that lets say a wire from the big long poles came down on a car or bus, and it is an emergency and you needed to get out you have to take your hands and put them really close to your body and jump! Yopu have to do this because if one leg is on the bus or car and one is on the ground electricity is always trying to find a way down to the ground. It was so interesting! I thought his presentation was amazing! I think I would get this around is by puting them all around popular places or on the block.

I am a boy in 4th grade. My name is AJ. My favorite color is gold. In my spare time I like to play halo 3 on my xbox 360 My favorite subject is math. Things I also like to do is do Tae Kwon Do,and play baseball. That's my life.