Copyright (c) 2014 by Lesley Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Lesley -- Blogmeister

Mr. Crosby's Alumni Bloggers

We are a 6th grade class that is piloting a 1:1 laptop program using MacBook computers. We blog, Skype, make Wiki pages, produce digital videos, podcasts and vidcasts.

by Lesley

teacher: Brian Crosby

When I saw the video and heard the speaker say that each of us is a keeper of a invisible zoo I found it strange and super weird and it just grossed me out. I mean to think that your keeping a huge invisible zoo in your body is just plain gross. I can’t even explain it. When the speaker said that we are never alone that we have creatures inside our bodies. I was freaked out even though I already knew  we had creatures like bacteria on us but to see the images of the bacteria and everything else we have I just don’t know how to explain it because it’s just so weird. I learned that we have something (not sure what it is) around our eyes and that scientist don’t know why we do and what they are there for. I also learned that bacteria always multiples it self into huge numbers. I also learned that when your alone and no one's around you could always say to yourself that your not alone that you have a huge invisible zoo on you!

When I saw the video and heard the speaker say that each of us is a keeper of a invisible zoo I found it strange and super weird and it just grossed me out. I mean to think that your keeping a huge invisible zoo in your body is just plain gross. I can’t even explain it. When the speaker said that we are never alone that we have creatures inside our bodies. I was freaked out even though I already knew  we had creatures like bacteria on us but to see the images of the bacteria and everything else we have I just don’t know how to explain it because it’s just so weird. I learned that we have something (not sure what it is) around our eyes and that scientist don’t know why we do and what they are there for. I also learned that bacteria always multiples it self into huge numbers.

Article posted July 3, 2009 at 01:57 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 69

These past 3 years in this class has been a phenomenal experience for me. From the 7 random facts project to the Leaving My mark project has been incredible. One of my favorite projects was working with The Reno Bike Project. It was really fun because we got to make wiki pages, a PSA (Public Service Announcement) which was really fun to make, and we got to make posters. We got to take a field trip to their shop to check it out. It was really cool. A few of us (including me) got to take pictures and some others got to video tape a few things. Some of the pictures and the video that we took was in our PSA. Another project that was really fun was doing the 80 schools around the world project. It was awesome because we got to Skype with people from around the world which I think is really cool. We Skyped with classes from Argentina, China, Thailand, New Zealand, Florida, Canada, and Wisconsin. It’s fun meeting other people and get to talk to them about the projects that we do in class. One of my favorite blogging projects was the Reading to Learn project. I liked it because I got to learn about a lot of things that I wanted to learn about like Ligers, and Tigons. It has been an exciting year like I said one that I will never forget.

Our Mars system is about Air Supply. We built a greenhouse. It grows plants for oxygen and so we could eat the plants. Since we decided to use Hydroponics (Hydroponics are where you can grow certain plants on water) we used 4 certain plants. We used Lady Fingers, Cucumbers, Peas, and Tomatoes. It’s gray and it has water on the bottom and then a blocker to block the water from the surface then the plants. It also has a pipe so the oxygen can travel to the buildings on Mars. We built it with a shoe box and construction paper. We also used straws, plastic, aluminum foil, and paint. We used the shoe box as the greenhouse. The construction paper was for the water, the blocker, etc. The straw was for the pipe. The plastic was for the the roof so it could let sunlight through for the plants, and the aluminum foil was for the Solar Panels. We colored the aluminum foil black so it could really look like Solar Panels. We colored the Solar Panels with a sharpie. We used paint for the box.  We chose the color gray because black attracts the heat and white reflects the heat so we did a combination of both colors and we got the color gray.

Article posted May 11, 2009 at 06:29 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 266

Today in class we read a book called “The Adventures of Sojourner”. It was about one of the pathfinders that they sent to Mars. It successfully landed on Mars without harm. It’s APXS  tested on these rocks called Yogi, Barnacle Bill, Soufflé, Scooby Doo, and Shark. On Sol 30 Sojourner set out for a Rock Garden. It was Sojourner next assignment to reach a rock called Shark. It would be Sojourner’s toughest assignments. Sojourner reach Shark on Sol 52. But six days later Sojourner’s backup battery ran out. The team on Earth tried to signal her, but no response came back. On October 1 the team got a signal from the rover, and on October 7 they only got one final signal and that was it. The team keeps on trying to signal the rover once every month, but no luck. The mission had cost about 266 million. Sojourner returned 2.3 million bits of information and more than 16,500 lander images.

The phenomenal thing about Mercury is that it is a small planet. Mercury has an orbital diameter about a third of our own. It is said that even in ancient times Mercury has been over looked at. It is located approximately two and three quarter light minutes. But the astonishing thing about Mercury is that it has no cold winds.

The stupendous thing about the Moon is that it has 8 phases. It’s made out of rock, and there’s gravity on the Moon. The gravity on the moon is not like the gravity on Earth. There is Oxygen on the Moon. But the unimaginable thing about the Moon is that the distance from the Earth to the Moon is 384,403 km

The warmest thing about Pluto is that it is covered in ice. It has 3 moons named Charo, Nix, and Hydra. It was dicovered in February 18th 1930. Pluto’s the second biggest dwarf planet. It is not a planet anymore. But the most sensational thing about Pluto is that it is 2/3 the size of our moon.

"Around the World With 80 Schools"

City / Country / Continent: Sparks, Nevada, USA, North America 

Population: 89,449 people

Elevation: 4,413 FT (1,225 M)

Area: 23.9 SQ MI 62.0 km2

Climate: 68.2 ºF

Languages: English

When Founded: March 15 1905

Location:  3 9 ∞ 3 3 2 1 6 3 N   1 1 9 ∞ 4 4 2 8 3 W˛ˇ   /  ˛ˇ 3 9 . 5 5 4 4 4 ∞ N   1 1 9 . 7 3 5 5 6 ∞ W˛ˇ   /   3 9 . 5 5 4 4 4 ;   - 1 1 9 . 7 3 5 5 6  

Interesting Facts I Found: Sparks Nevada nickname is The Rail City, 

Snapshot:*

"Around the World With 80 Schools"

City / Country / Continent: Jacksonville, Florida, USA

Population: 794,555

Elevation: 16ft

Area: 885 sq mi (2,264.5 km2)

Climate: 64 to 91 °F (18-33 °C)

Languages: English

When Founded: 1791

Location: 30° 19? 9.86? N, 81° 39? 35.99? W

Interesting Facts I Found: It was incorporated in 1832

Snapshot:*