Copyright (c) 2014 by TapGirl Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
TapGirl -- Blogmeister

TapGirl

2009

by TapGirl

teacher: Gordon Brune

Letter to my 12th grade self (A) 06/26/09
Constitution Works (A) 06/26/09
You Should go to Blockbuster and Rent Akeelah and the Bee!! (A) 06/18/09
Have your town look like a remodeled town! (WP) 06/03/09
My Softball Game Last Night (WP) 06/02/09
1 bottle top. . . 06/01/09
The worlds smallest roadworthy car (WP) 05/29/09
What is your favorite kind of dance? (WP) 05/29/09
The best job in the world goes to. . .(N) 05/29/09
What is your favorite type of music? (WP) 05/27/09
What is your favorite drink? (WP) 05/20/09
Now this is a sweet job! (WP) 05/19/09
Fine Dining- 17 Feet Below the Indian Ocean (N) 05/15/09
Don't Trust Her (WP) 05/15/09
Where do you hang out after school? (WP) 05/13/09
What is your favorite special? (WP) 05/11/09
How many hours of TV do you watch a day? (WP) 05/07/09
Malia and Sasha’s First 100 Days in the White House (N) 05/07/09
What has been your favorite grade? (WP) 05/05/09
What is your favorite animal? (WP) 05/04/09
This cutie may be the smallest puppy in the world (WP) 04/24/09
D.A.R.E. Graduation (WP) 04/23/09
Malia and Sasha finally get their puppy! (N) 04/17/09
More than before (WP) 04/16/09
I'm yours (WP, Video) 04/14/09
Yummmmmmmmmmyyyyyyy, Go to Sal's Pizza (A) 04/03/09
A unique dream house (A) 03/27/09
Softball (WP) 03/26/09
Softball (WP) 03/24/09
D.A.R.E. Report (A) 03/23/09
If it could only happen to me (WP) 03/20/09
He loves cats (N) 03/19/09
Wimpy Kid Comic Contest (A) 03/16/09
Tthe stunning pink dolphin (N) 03/13/09
Final Pioneer Diary Entry (A) 03/10/09
The Climb (WP, Audio)) 03/09/09
Return to the Moon (A) 03/09/09
Rockstar (WP, Audio) 03/04/09
When my grandparents told my. . . .(WP) 02/23/09
Mini-me, a doll that looks just like you (N) 02/13/09
Tapgirl (WP) 02/12/09
From one white house kid to another (WP) 02/05/09
When I painted a cupcake (WP) 02/04/09
When I went to the batting cage (WP) 02/02/09
When my room got rearranged! (WP) 01/30/09
She is one bright cookie (WP) 01/30/09
When my dad was on the radio (WP) 01/23/09
I have a dream (A) 01/21/09
A biography of CheerGirl98 (WP) 01/21/09
The 22 stars of Marley and Me (N) 01/15/09
What is your brain made out of? (A) 01/12/09
ELA Test (WP) 01/08/09
A Great Christmas Tradition (N) 12/16/08
My Wonderful Saturday (WP) 12/15/08
When I went to get these slippers yesterday (WP) 12/10/08
When my flight got delayed (WP) 12/06/08
Deaf dalmatian learns sign language (N) 12/04/08
When I went to the Ritz Carlton (WP) 12/01/08
Tapgirl's school report (A) 11/19/08
The sequel to CAMP (WP) 11/17/08
How geography effects people around the world (A) 11/14/08
What to write about (WP) 11/13/08
CAMP (WP) 11/06/08
Amanda (WP) 10/30/08
SCHOOL (WP) 10/29/08
The First time I Flipped in a Kayak! (WP) 10/28/08
The Presidents of 2008 (A) 10/24/08
When I went to the mall! (WP) 10/21/08
The Happiest Place on Earth Turns Spooky! (N) 10/14/08
When I went to my brother's soccer game (WP) 10/10/08
When I got my Tory Burch flip-flops (WP) 10/06/08
A Topsy-Turvy House (WP) 10/03/08
Kera the Gorilla Finds a new Home (N) 10/03/08
Tapgirl (WP) 10/02/08
Colorful Lobsters (N) 09/25/08
Rose the Dog (A) 09/25/08
My First Travel Softball Game (WP) 09/24/08
In the past years (WP) 09/19/08
Once This Boy (WP) 09/18/08
America Is. . . (A) 09/17/08
TapGirl is Amazing! (WP) 09/17/08
Dog Saves Owner by Calling 911 (N) 09/16/08
Once Upon a Time (WP) 09/11/08
When My Mom Got A New Car (WP) 09/11/08

Article posted June 26, 2009 at 10:20 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 422

letter1

letter2

Article posted June 26, 2009 at 09:52 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 104

Brief and Oral Argument, Denver Dispatch

May it please the court; we are the petitioners, representing the Denver Dispatch newspaper.

We appear before you today to ask the Supreme Court to remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch from publishing articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory.

This case is all about how the Denver Dispatch should publish articles about secrets about the government’s biological warfare. We believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory.

The first reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Schenck v. United States, in 1919.

This case was about if Charles Schenck could publish anti-war leaflets that said the government shouldn’t be able to force young men into war. Congress had passed a new law that said it was against the law to encourage men to not be drafted for the war.

Justice Holmes wrote as part of the majority, ““We have to ask ourselves every time that we look at a case, ‘Are the words that are said or written used in such a way that they cause a clear and present danger?’…It is a question of how close is this possible danger and how dangerous it could be. Things which we allow in peacetime are sometimes too dangerous to allow in wartime.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the Denver Dispatch has words that can cause danger. Also, things that are allowed in the Denver Dispatch in peacetime are dangerous in wartime.

The second reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Near v. Minnesota in 1931.

This case was about whether Jay Near could publish his newspaper, the Saturday Press. The newspaper attacked everyone physically and emotionally.

Justice Hughes wrote as part of the majority that, ““We have usually believed that freedom of the press means that a newspaper can publish what is wants and that the government cannot stop it from publishing what it wants.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the First Amendment protects the Denver Dispatch’s right to publish what it wants. The Denver Dispatch can publish information on the biological warfare (anthrax X).

The third reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in New York Times v. United States in 1971.

This case was about if the New York Times could publish the “Pentagon Papers” and if they were breaking a law publishing these papers with secret information.

Justice White wrote as part of the majority, ““There are times in which the press can be prevented from publishing information about government plans or operations.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because there are times when the Denver Dispatch can get prevented from publishing information but this time is not one of those times.

The last reasons we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the what is written in the United States Constitution.

It is written that in the Constitution that Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or of the press. Congress is not allowed to make laws that stop people from speaking, writing, printing, and broadcasting.

We believe that this applies to the Denver Dispatch because the government has no right to stop the Denver Dispatch from writing and printing.

It is also written in the Constitution that the people of the United States set out rules that the government must follow. The Constitution was made to keep peace in the nation, bring about justice, defend the nation a s a whole from foreign enemies, make peoples’ lives better, and make sure that the people remain free.

We believe that this applies to the Denver Dispatch because the Denver Dispatch was written to warn the people of anthrax x. This defends people’s lives.

You have heard the arguments from the petitioner, the Denver Dispatch. We ask the Justices to uphold the freedom of the press granted in the First Amendment and to allow the newspaper to continue to publish the articles about biological warfare research.

Brief and Oral Argument, United States Government

May it please the court; we are the respondents, representing the United States government.

We appear before you today to ask the Supreme Court to uphold the court order that the lower court and the appeals court imposed on the Denver Dispatch newspaper.

This case is about not letting the Denver Dispatch publish military secrets about biological warfare in Boulder, Colorado.

We believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper from publishing further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory.

The first reason we believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper to publish further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Schenck v. United States, in 1919.

This case was about Charles Schenck printing 15, 000 leaflets.

Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote as part of the majority, “What someone is constitutionally allowed to do depends upon the time and place in which it is done. . .Things which we allow in peacetime are sometimes too dangerous to allow in wartime.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because we are in a war. Freedom of speech isn’t important while in a war.

The second reason we believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper to publish further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Near v. Minnesota in 1931.

This case was about Jay Near publishing a newspaper which was anti-Jewish, anti-government, and it attacked everyone: gangsters, police, commissioners, and even the mayor.

Justice Butler wrote as part of the minority, “The newspaper has already published false and outrageous stories that harm the reputations of various people. The use of the law in this case is a way of punishing the newspaper for already abusing its right of freedom of the press.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the Denver Dispatch is already abusing the Freedom of the Press.

The third reason we believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper from publishing further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in New York Times v. United States in 1971.

This case was about whether it was constitutional for the New York Times to publish past military secrets and the thinking of the U.S. generals.

Justice Blackmun wrote as part of the minority opinion. “Each section of the Constitution is important and [we] do not believe that the First Amendment is so important. . . .”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because we believe the First Amendment isn’t that important that it stands above the other sections.

The last reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the what is written in the United States Constitution.

It is written in the Constitution that the Constitution was made to “keep peace in the nation.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because if the lab gives out secrets there will be no peace in the nation.

It is also written in the Constitution that “the President is the Chief Executive.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because he (or she) must protect us if he (or she) thinks it is dangerous.

You have heard the arguments from the respondents, the United States government. We ask the Justices to uphold the constitutional right of the government to protect the national security by blocking the Denver Dispatch articles on biological warfare research.

Denver Dispatch v. United States 2009

Docket Number 93-8000

1. The Story:

The government want to stop the publication of the Denver Dispatch newspaper because they think it’s saying military secrets about a biological weapons laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. In the lower courts the Denver Dispatch lost and they kept appealing until they got to the Supreme Court.

2. The Denver Dispatch Goes to the Supreme Court

The lawyers for the government argued:

The lawyers for the government argued that the Denver Dispatch should not publish the Denver Dispatch because they thought it was giving away military secrets. They argued that the First Amendment right to Freedom of the Press was not the most important Amendment.

The lawyers for the Denver Dispatch argued:

The lawyers for the Denver Dispatch argued that they have the freedom to print their articles and the people should know what the military is doing in the lab.

The Supreme Court Justices decided:

The Supreme Court voted 5 to 4 in favor of the Denver Dispatch.

Writing for the majority, Justice RockGirl voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. She wrote:

I, RockGirl, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because you can’t break the Constitution because terrorists “might” attack or “may” attack. I do not believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing because if the government stops the Denver Dispatch from publishing terrorists may still attack.

Writing for the majority, Justice Mets1 voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. He wrote:

I, Mets1, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because like the Denver Dispatch said, terrorists won’t attack because it is peace time not war time.

I believe the Government doesn’t have the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because the Congress has no right to make laws that stop people from speaking, writing, printing, or broadcasting. I don’t think they have anything to be worried about because it is peacetime.

Writing for the majority, Justice SuperStar9 voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. She wrote:

I, SuperStar9, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military Laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because, “there are times in which the press can be prevented from publishing information about government plans or operations.” But this time is not one of those times. I do not believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military in Boulder, Colorado. We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the Denver Dispatch is already abusing the freedom of the press. But they aren’t publishing false and outrageous stories. So why punish them?

Writing for the majority, Justice HolibackGurl voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. She wrote:

I, HolibackGurl, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe that they have this right because they published one article and there has been no terrorist attack. Also they are warning people about this Anthrax X so if this stuff got out it could have killed someone. I do not believe the government has this Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because they put national security in front of the First Amendment. Also they didn’t do very well about answering questions.

Writing for the majority, Justice BlackPanther voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. He wrote:

I, BlackPanther, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because the people should know what the government is doing in the lab. The government said they have the cure for Anthrax X so why are they afraid that the Denver Dispatch will publish the secrets? We are in peacetime not in wartime. I do not believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because they said they have the cure for Anthrax X so why should they be afraid. The Denver Dispatch has freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

Writing for the minority, Justice Alvarez voted in favor of the government. He wrote:

I, Mario64, believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because they want to publish papers that reveal the military secrets. I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because it’s revealing military secrets that are not supposed to be heard even if there is a virus or anything that might get us sick.

Writing for the minority, FamousStar3000, voted in favor of the government. She wrote:

I, FamousStar3000, believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I think the government has the right to stop publishing these articles. The government wants to keep our county safe. I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the right to publish these articles. The articles might fall into the wrong hands and something bad might happen. Even though it’s been peacetime for a long time, you don’t know what can happen. Something can happen any day now if those articles are published.

Writing for the minority, Justice Luigi2Power voted in favor of the government. He wrote:

I, Luigi2Power, believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military lab in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have the right because like they said, if the newspaper was published then our enemies can find out and the public might worry. I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the right to publish information about the military secrets because our enemies might find out, and they will make a plan to destroy us.

Writing for the minority, Justice MusicGirl voted in favor of the government. She wrote:

I, MusicGirl, believe the Government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory. I believe they have this right because what if the next five articles put us in danger if they are published? What if people find out more about Anthrax X and it gets in the wrong hands and hurts innocent people and the military can’t get there in time to stop the Anthrax X? Like the attorneys for the government said, “The First Amendment isn’t the most important part of the Constitution.” I believe that because it’s not the only Amendment or the only part of the Constitution. I think they should all be thought of as equally. Also, like the people in my family say, “You’re better safe than sorry.” I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Bolder, Colorado. First, when I saw the attorneys argue for the Denver Dispatch they looked like they weren’t collected. But when I saw the attorneys argue for the government, I thought that they were very put together and knew what they were doing. Second, I liked the way they said their argument and stated their rebuttal. They answered the questions very clearly, and I wasn’t as confused when they were stating their rebuttal and argument. So that’s why I agree with the government.

Article posted June 18, 2009 at 05:21 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 130

"Akeelah and the Bee" is all about this girl, Akeelah, and how she is a really good speller. But she misses a lot of school. There are a lot of other people that are important in this movie: Akeelah’s mom, Mr. Welch (the principal), Keannah (the older sister) Dylan, Javier, Proffesor Learaby, and Georgia. Akeelah’s dad died when someone shot him, and Akeelah’s mom is trying very hard to deal with all the kids because she has kids to worry about also. Her teacher thinks she should do the school spelling bee because she gets 100% on all her spelling tests, so she thinks about it. She gets a letter that says that she has to go to summer school. The principal tells her that if she does the school spelling bee then she won’t have to go everyday to summer school. So she does the school spelling bee. Her teacher said at the beginning of the spelling bee if she wins this school spelling bee than she is going to go to the district spelling bee. Akeelah wins the school spelling bee and goes to the district spelling bee. On the way, she meets Javier and Dylan.

I liked the movie because it was not just a fun movie, it was inspiring! ut if you want to know anymore then you should go rent "Akeelah and the Bee"!

First of all, I think Akeelah is very brave and a great kid because she didn’t want to be involved in any spelling bees. But, as I said, she is very brave and she stuck to the spelling bee. Even though she wanted to quit she didn’t. Professor Learaby helps Akeelah a lot later in the movie. He helps her with spelling later in the movie because he was a really good teacher until his wife and daughter died in a car accident. Then he became very sad. Also, all he wants to do now is just stay in his backyard with a fence around it all day!!

Another thing I like about this movie is that you get all squirmy in your seat because you are so curious to see if she is going to win the district spelling bee or the regional spelling bee or even the national spelling bee! You also wonder if Dylan or Javier are going to win? What would it be like in Los Angeles where Akeelah lives? Will everything be the same!?

The thing I likes most about this movie is that it is really engaging. I felt like I was in the movie because, as I said before ,it was so engaging and such a great movie. I didn’t think about anything else except the movie! Also, you can learn different words while you are watching this movie!

So if you want to go see one of the best movies you should go rent "Akeelah and the Bee"!

Article posted June 3, 2009 at 03:09 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 84

Do you want people to come to your town and actually think it’s clean? Then you should not do graffiti!

First of all, it doesn't look good. It makes the town look dirty and not a welcoming place to be!

Another reason it that you can not get it off! It even looks really bad if you’re trying to get it off. It could smear if it is newly painted on and that looks even uglier than it not being smeared!

The best reason is that if you are an older kid doing it then you are a bad role model for younger kids. If you tell younger kids that it is a good thing then they are going to try it. Then our town will look terrible!

The people who do it might say Wwhatever! Now our town looks all bright and pretty! What are you talking abou? Our town looks great with writing everywhere!" They are still wrong because the town is already bright with the grass and the trees and flowers and the sky. We don't need our town looking like a clown with all the colors!

If you want your town to look like a remodeled town then you should help by telling people not to write on thing and paint on other things other than paper!

Article posted June 2, 2009 at 02:55 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 75

My softball game last night was so fun. We were playing a really good team. I knew some people on it from when I played travel. Even though we lost, it was still fun!

I played pitcher two innings, first base once, and catcher (for my first time ever) for two innings! It was so much fun. I got two outs at first and one out as a catcher. I made a hit to shortstop in the air near the ground and I knew the shortstop. Even though it was an uncatchable ball (that’s what I thought), she caught it, so I was out. Then twice I got walked. For my last time at bat, I hit it to the second base person. It went through her legs, went to the outfield, and the outfielder got it but was way too late to throw back to the first base person. Then I stole two bases because I was the third one up at bat. Then first girl Lauren got a double. Second person Emma got a homerun. (It wasn’t because she hit it hard or long. It was because the infield did not have good throws. But it was still exciting.)

I was also first base coach once because two of my coaches left and the coach that was left had to stay in the dugout. My dad was third base coach and I was first base coach.

My dad helps out a lot! It is good and it is bad because he tells me what to do half the time and he screams from the sidelines. It is good because it is fun warming up with my dad when I practice pitching because everyone else on my team is not the best and they cannot catch. (Trust me on that one!)

Even though we lost in the end, we had so much fun as a team. We are probably the best team in the league (fun wise)!

Article posted June 1, 2009 at 02:37 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 134

2 bottle top

3 bottle top

4 bottle top

5 bottle top

6 bottle top

7 bottle top

pop!

Don’t throw your trash in my yard

my yard

my yard

don’t throw your trash in my yard

my yard is clean!

Do you want your town to look good? Do you want your lawn to look good? Then you should throw your garbage away!

First of all, it smells. Sometimes it’s really bad that there are guests coming over, and they smell it. They might never come back because it smells so bad. It also looks dirty, and people won’t treat you the way you want to be treated because of how your yard looks.

Another reason is that other people have to clean up; the people that work in the town have to clean it up!  It is really gross because the garbage could be a half eaten something or a cigarette or a drink bottle and they have to touch it!

The best reason is that it pollutes the earth. Animals could die, and people could get very sick because they breathe it in. Also little animals like squirrels could eat it!

The people who litter might say I don’t care if the town’s workers have to clean it, up it’s not my garbage; it’s not my job to clean it up. The town’s workers are here to clean up our garbage! They are still wrong because the town’s workers should not clean up other people’s garbage. Yes, it’s their job to clean up but not other people’s garbage.

If you want your lawn and other peoples’ lawns clean, then you should help and throw your garbage away. MAKE A DIFFERRENCE!

Article posted May 29, 2009 at 03:37 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 107

A British inventor has made his way into the Guinness book of world records for the fourth time!!!! This time it is converting a toy wind up car into a real roadworthy car!!!! Perry Watkins lives in Wingrave, England, He has broken his own record for the world’s lowest car three times. He got an inspiration for his latest idea while surfing the Internet. This new invention is made for kids 2-5 years old.

I wonder if I could fit into it? I mean Perry could. It probably wouldn't be the most comfortable thing, but it would be a miracle if I could fit!!



Article posted May 29, 2009 at 02:55 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 121

Survey Results - GlowDay.com

Article posted May 29, 2009 at 02:33 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 128

Would you like to get away and spend six whole months in a BEAUTIFUL three bedroom house on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef? There are so many things to do while your there. You can swim with any kind of water animal, you can take picture and make video’s, you can even put them on a BlogSpot. And the coolest part of the trip is is that you get paid for doing everything you do. Isn’t that the coolest thing!? Ben Southwall’s dream will finally happen on July 1st 2009. He is 34, and he got this job because he was recently appointed caretaker of the Great Barrier Reef Islands.

THIS is the most coolest job. I would love to have this job. I wonder how tan he gets by the end of the trip? He must be burned by the end of the trip! I wonder what the age is for doing this? I bet I am too young!

[LINK]

Article posted May 27, 2009 at 03:31 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 99

Survey Results - GlowDay.com

Books I’ve read:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
See other books we’ve read HERE

I'm SMART and I have my Internet Driver's License!

smart

Get "AnswerTips" about ANY word on this website by double clicking the word!