Copyright (c) 2014 by SuperStar9 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
SuperStar9 -- Blogmeister

SuperStar9

2009

by SuperStar9

teacher: Gordon Brune

Article posted June 26, 2009 at 10:19 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 505

letter1

12th  letter 2

Article posted June 26, 2009 at 09:51 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 74

Brief and Oral Argument, Denver Dispatch

May it please the court; we are the petitioners, representing the Denver Dispatch newspaper.

We appear before you today to ask the Supreme Court to remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch from publishing articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory.

This case is all about how the Denver Dispatch should publish articles about secrets about the government’s biological warfare. We believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory.

The first reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Schenck v. United States, in 1919.

This case was about if Charles Schenck could publish anti-war leaflets that said the government shouldn’t be able to force young men into war. Congress had passed a new law that said it was against the law to encourage men to not be drafted for the war.

Justice Holmes wrote as part of the majority, ““We have to ask ourselves every time that we look at a case, ‘Are the words that are said or written used in such a way that they cause a clear and present danger?’…It is a question of how close is this possible danger and how dangerous it could be. Things which we allow in peacetime are sometimes too dangerous to allow in wartime.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the Denver Dispatch has words that can cause danger. Also, things that are allowed in the Denver Dispatch in peacetime are dangerous in wartime.

The second reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Near v. Minnesota in 1931.

This case was about whether Jay Near could publish his newspaper, the Saturday Press. The newspaper attacked everyone physically and emotionally.

Justice Hughes wrote as part of the majority that, ““We have usually believed that freedom of the press means that a newspaper can publish what is wants and that the government cannot stop it from publishing what it wants.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the First Amendment protects the Denver Dispatch’s right to publish what it wants. The Denver Dispatch can publish information on the biological warfare (anthrax X).

The third reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in New York Times v. United States in 1971.

This case was about if the New York Times could publish the “Pentagon Papers” and if they were breaking a law publishing these papers with secret information.

Justice White wrote as part of the majority, ““There are times in which the press can be prevented from publishing information about government plans or operations.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because there are times when the Denver Dispatch can get prevented from publishing information but this time is not one of those times.

The last reasons we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the what is written in the United States Constitution.

It is written that in the Constitution that Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or of the press. Congress is not allowed to make laws that stop people from speaking, writing, printing, and broadcasting.

We believe that this applies to the Denver Dispatch because the government has no right to stop the Denver Dispatch from writing and printing.

It is also written in the Constitution that the people of the United States set out rules that the government must follow. The Constitution was made to keep peace in the nation, bring about justice, defend the nation a s a whole from foreign enemies, make peoples’ lives better, and make sure that the people remain free.

We believe that this applies to the Denver Dispatch because the Denver Dispatch was written to warn the people of anthrax x. This defends people’s lives.

You have heard the arguments from the petitioner, the Denver Dispatch. We ask the Justices to uphold the freedom of the press granted in the First Amendment and to allow the newspaper to continue to publish the articles about biological warfare research.

Brief and Oral Argument, United States Government

May it please the court; we are the respondents, representing the United States government.

We appear before you today to ask the Supreme Court to uphold the court order that the lower court and the appeals court imposed on the Denver Dispatch newspaper.

This case is about not letting the Denver Dispatch publish military secrets about biological warfare in Boulder, Colorado.

We believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper from publishing further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory.

The first reason we believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper to publish further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Schenck v. United States, in 1919.

This case was about Charles Schenck printing 15, 000 leaflets.

Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote as part of the majority, “What someone is constitutionally allowed to do depends upon the time and place in which it is done. . .Things which we allow in peacetime are sometimes too dangerous to allow in wartime.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because we are in a war. Freedom of speech isn’t important while in a war.

The second reason we believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper to publish further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Near v. Minnesota in 1931.

This case was about Jay Near publishing a newspaper which was anti-Jewish, anti-government, and it attacked everyone: gangsters, police, commissioners, and even the mayor.

Justice Butler wrote as part of the minority, “The newspaper has already published false and outrageous stories that harm the reputations of various people. The use of the law in this case is a way of punishing the newspaper for already abusing its right of freedom of the press.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the Denver Dispatch is already abusing the Freedom of the Press.

The third reason we believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper from publishing further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in New York Times v. United States in 1971.

This case was about whether it was constitutional for the New York Times to publish past military secrets and the thinking of the U.S. generals.

Justice Blackmun wrote as part of the minority opinion. “Each section of the Constitution is important and [we] do not believe that the First Amendment is so important. . . .”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because we believe the First Amendment isn’t that important that it stands above the other sections.

The last reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the what is written in the United States Constitution.

It is written in the Constitution that the Constitution was made to “keep peace in the nation.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because if the lab gives out secrets there will be no peace in the nation.

It is also written in the Constitution that “the President is the Chief Executive.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because he (or she) must protect us if he (or she) thinks it is dangerous.

You have heard the arguments from the respondents, the United States government. We ask the Justices to uphold the constitutional right of the government to protect the national security by blocking the Denver Dispatch articles on biological warfare research.

Denver Dispatch v. United States 2009

Docket Number 93-8000

1. The Story:

The government want to stop the publication of the Denver Dispatch newspaper because they think it’s saying military secrets about a biological weapons laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. In the lower courts the Denver Dispatch lost and they kept appealing until they got to the Supreme Court.

2. The Denver Dispatch Goes to the Supreme Court

The lawyers for the government argued:

The lawyers for the government argued that the Denver Dispatch should not publish the Denver Dispatch because they thought it was giving away military secrets. They argued that the First Amendment right to Freedom of the Press was not the most important Amendment.

The lawyers for the Denver Dispatch argued:

The lawyers for the Denver Dispatch argued that they have the freedom to print their articles and the people should know what the military is doing in the lab.

The Supreme Court Justices decided:

The Supreme Court voted 5 to 4 in favor of the Denver Dispatch.

Writing for the majority, Justice RockGirl voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. She wrote:

I, RockGirl, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because you can’t break the Constitution because terrorists “might” attack or “may” attack. I do not believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing because if the government stops the Denver Dispatch from publishing terrorists may still attack.

Writing for the majority, Justice Mets1 voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. He wrote:

I, Mets1, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because like the Denver Dispatch said, terrorists won’t attack because it is peace time not war time.

I believe the Government doesn’t have the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because the Congress has no right to make laws that stop people from speaking, writing, printing, or broadcasting. I don’t think they have anything to be worried about because it is peacetime.

Writing for the majority, Justice SuperStar9 voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. She wrote:

I, SuperStar9, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military Laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because, “there are times in which the press can be prevented from publishing information about government plans or operations.” But this time is not one of those times. I do not believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military in Boulder, Colorado. We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the Denver Dispatch is already abusing the freedom of the press. But they aren’t publishing false and outrageous stories. So why punish them?

Writing for the majority, Justice HolibackGurl voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. She wrote:

I, HolibackGurl, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe that they have this right because they published one article and there has been no terrorist attack. Also they are warning people about this Anthrax X so if this stuff got out it could have killed someone. I do not believe the government has this Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because they put national security in front of the First Amendment. Also they didn’t do very well about answering questions.

Writing for the majority, Justice BlackPanther voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. He wrote:

I, BlackPanther, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because the people should know what the government is doing in the lab. The government said they have the cure for Anthrax X so why are they afraid that the Denver Dispatch will publish the secrets? We are in peacetime not in wartime. I do not believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because they said they have the cure for Anthrax X so why should they be afraid. The Denver Dispatch has freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

Writing for the minority, Justice Alvarez voted in favor of the government. He wrote:

I, Mario64, believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because they want to publish papers that reveal the military secrets. I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because it’s revealing military secrets that are not supposed to be heard even if there is a virus or anything that might get us sick.

Writing for the minority, FamousStar3000, voted in favor of the government. She wrote:

I, FamousStar3000, believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I think the government has the right to stop publishing these articles. The government wants to keep our county safe. I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the right to publish these articles. The articles might fall into the wrong hands and something bad might happen. Even though it’s been peacetime for a long time, you don’t know what can happen. Something can happen any day now if those articles are published.

Writing for the minority, Justice Luigi2Power voted in favor of the government. He wrote:

I, Luigi2Power, believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military lab in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have the right because like they said, if the newspaper was published then our enemies can find out and the public might worry. I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the right to publish information about the military secrets because our enemies might find out, and they will make a plan to destroy us.

Writing for the minority, Justice MusicGirl voted in favor of the government. She wrote:

I, MusicGirl, believe the Government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory. I believe they have this right because what if the next five articles put us in danger if they are published? What if people find out more about Anthrax X and it gets in the wrong hands and hurts innocent people and the military can’t get there in time to stop the Anthrax X? Like the attorneys for the government said, “The First Amendment isn’t the most important part of the Constitution.” I believe that because it’s not the only Amendment or the only part of the Constitution. I think they should all be thought of as equally. Also, like the people in my family say, “You’re better safe than sorry.” I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Bolder, Colorado. First, when I saw the attorneys argue for the Denver Dispatch they looked like they weren’t collected. But when I saw the attorneys argue for the government, I thought that they were very put together and knew what they were doing. Second, I liked the way they said their argument and stated their rebuttal. They answered the questions very clearly, and I wasn’t as confused when they were stating their rebuttal and argument. So that’s why I agree with the government.

"Akeelah and the Bee" is about a girl named Akeelah. She loves spelling. She can spell a lots of words. In her school they had a spelling bee and the one who won got to go to Washington D.C. Always when she has a spelling test, she gets words right with out practicing. First, she does not want to enter the spelling bee because she was scared that people were going to laugh at her. She was in 7th grade and only 11 years old. So she made it to Washington D.C. That is how she met kids like Dylan who for two years won second place in the national spelling bee. It was the last round. They were getting all the words right. Then Dylan got a word wrong. Then it was Akeelah's turn. She got the word right. Dylan's dad was mad because he lost. Her mom did not want her to go to the spelling be and her friend was mad at Akeelah because she did not spend time with her. She meets other friends like Dylan, Javier, Professor Larabie, Mr. Welsh. The professor is the one that helps Akeelah all the way through. You should see the movie "Akeelah and the Bee."

First, people should see this movie because it teaches you a lesson that it does not matter if you are rich or poor.

Second, it is funny.

Third, you feel like you are in the movie.

So, to find out the end you should see "Akeehah and the Bee." It is a great movie. Go see "Akeehal and the Bee" now. It is a great movie!

Article posted June 4, 2009 at 03:28 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 144

STOP SMOKING OR ELSE!

Do you smoke? Or smoke in front of your kids. You should stop smoking. WHY?

First of all, it can hurt you because you can get lung cancer, and your teeth will turn yellow. Your wife or husband or maybe boy or girlfriend won’t want to kiss you.

,you can die because the smoke goes through your body and into your heart. Your family would be sad.

Another reason is that it hurts people around you. My friend’s mom smokes in front of her kids and my friend has asthma.

The most important reason is that you influence kids when they grow up. My aunt smokes, and she has two kids. They say when they grow up they want to smoke. One of them pretends to smoke with a real cigarette.

People smoke because they think it makes them cool and be like grown ups or because their parents smoke, but I still think it is wrong because you can get asthma and you influence little kids.

Do you smoke? Well, STOP it. Do you or your kids have asthma? Or are your teeth yellow or your kids pretend to smoke? Then you are influencing your kids to smoke. Then you know what to do, STOP SMOKING OR ELSE.

Article posted June 4, 2009 at 03:11 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 123

Dear Mr.Barack Obama,

Hi, I am a 5th grader at Mamaroneck Avenue School in Mamaroneck, New York. I am glad that you are our President. My school had a voting, and I voted for you because you were going to make a good President. Why? Well, because you promised that you were going to let illegal immigrants become citizens. But you haven’t done anything about it yet. I understand you have plans for it, but time is running out At least you can let kids of illegal immigrants become citizens. Because if they aren’t citizens they can’t get in to good colleges. I am guessing you want us to learn and be smart, right? So let us become citizens. Be a great President, and you will be remembered as a great President, Please, please, I am begging you. Let us and our families become citizens. Thank you.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

SuperStar

Article posted May 19, 2009 at 03:08 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 140

OMG! World Laughter Day?! It was started by Dr. Madan Kataria in Mumbai, India in 1988. It is called laughter yoga movement. It is made to calm you down from problems or other things. There are about 6,000 laughter clubs.

Nice. Maybe I should try it. Looks nice and funny. And it may calm me down. Maybe you should try it with me.

[LINK]

Article posted April 21, 2009 at 02:39 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 120

[Editor's note: SuperStar is workign on a video recording of this interview. It will be posted here soon.]

Reading & Writing

What are you working on? (Can you tell me more about that?)

What are you going to work on next?

Is there anything else you want to add?

Recess

So what are you going to play?

Are you going to play with a friend?

Is there anything you want to add?

Article posted April 17, 2009 at 02:46 PM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 138

Have you ever heard of smart pigs? Me neither, until now. This man named Lee Tong adopted 12 pigs. They are less than 1 year old. They are so smart that they know their way home, and they stop at a red light. Wow, they are so smart! They are like dogs. The owner takes them for a walk, and they follow him around. What's so amazing is that he said that when they grow up he is not going to make them into bacon.

http://www.dogonews.com/2009/04/06/video-of-the-week-pigs-in-school

Isn’t this so amazing? I wish I had something like this. They are so smart. They are tied with dogs.

Article posted April 14, 2009 at 03:14 PM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 87

Is your town dirty? Or messed up? Or is not going green? I help my town go green. A green town takes you far. We are lucky to have a clean town.

The first reason we’re lucky to have a clean town is that it is pretty to look at. Without the trash on the ground like cans and bags it’s prettier to look at. And people that have dog’s don’t leave the dog’s business on the ground.

Another reason is it has healthy fresh air and not the smoking air. Also the grass is fresh and clean.

The best reason is that there’s not writing that’s offensive on the wall and says bad things about other people or makes fun of others or says bad words.

If you want a clean town, that's pretty to look at, has healthy fresh air, and it is not offensive, then come to live in Mamaroneck.

There is a car called Tata Nona. It was made in Mumbai, India. It is the cheapest car in the world. This car cost 100,000 in Indian rupees or 2,000 in USA dollars. It took five engineers over five years to develop.

Do you know why it is the cheapest? Because it does not have air conditioning on the standard model, windows wind down by hand, and more. The height is 1.6m (5ft) the length is 3.1m (10ft). It is 1.5m (5ft) wide.

I think this car is cool. It is cheaper. That is better. But the problem is that is has no air bag and no air conditioning. I would love to have one, but it is dangerous.

[LINK]

Books I’ve read:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
See other books we’ve read HERE

I'm SMART and I have my Internet Driver's License!

smart

Get "AnswerTips" about ANY word on this website by double clicking the word!