Copyright (c) 2014 by matt m Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
matt m -- Blogmeister

Matt's Super Blog

81

A cozy little stop where, technology in language arts, history and geography, meld together for Room 301 students at Deer Park.

by matt m

teacher: Mr. D

Caledonia: May 2009 <[LINK]>.

Ipperwash: 03 May 2009 <[LINK]>.

Ipperwash crisis happened in Ipperwash provincial park, the dispute occurred when natives protesting for their land. The clashed with the OPP causing the death of Dudley George. On Labour Day Monday, September 4, 1995 natives protest in a park about old land claims. 35 protesters enter the park, police weren’t surprised with the actions because they said they were going to occupy the park since May. The police wanted to remain peacefully they wanted no casaulties, sadly that wasn’t the case. A group of eight natives wandered from the park into a urban area. A native vehicle came out to aid the natives who battled with the riot squad. Police opened fire on the vehicle killing Dudley George.

The Caledonia crisis was between natives and town peoples, this occurred on February 2005. Six nation protesters took over a construction site at the Douglas creek estates. This caused OPP to take action. The takeover would be shortly ended and caused a lot of protest against the Canadian government. Natives held towns people hostage and they protested. Government afraid of being called racists so they refer to the natives as “aboriginals” and “protesters”.

This is my view of Ipperwash and Caledonia.

Here is my perspective on Oka through the natives eyes. Oka was a dispute between Mohawk natives and the Canadian army.

The government always wants are land they never stop. In these 2 ½ months we learned how the government thinks they own are land even though there is no documents showing proof. We lived here before the white man arrived, we signed treaties giving away land that was already ours. The warriors defend our rights but the supplies are running low. When food does arrive it is damaged and the army says they have nothing to do with it, of course. Hopefully this standoff will prove two things to the government, First show how proud are people are and the government won’t put us down. Second are land will be kept as a forest not as a useless gold course.

The white man demands respect where it should not be given and he thinks he can destroy our land with no repercussions and build his golf course. During the standoff our people stayed proud and showed the government he have self-respect and won’t be put down by their feeble attempts to undermine our resistance.

This a view of Oka through the natives eyes. While the Mayor thought the golf course would be a great addition to the nine holes they had the natives did not agree. I hope you have learned the natives side of the standoff and understand what they did more then before.

Article posted April 21, 2009 at 02:04 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 48

Diamonds and war are generally related to each other. Not all diamond mines are illegal and cause death but your never sure when you purchase a diamond whether it is conflict or not. The reasons why you can’t tell is mostly when “dirty” diamonds are exported they are mixed in with “clean” diamonds. Even though programs like the Kimberley process helps identify diamonds so purchasers can know if the diamond they bought if conflict or not.

The movie Blood Diamond tells about how the diamonds get shipped from Africa to London. The R.U.F uses the diamonds they sell to fuel their war on the government. R.U.F force locals to work in their diamond mines , they use the money to get recruits and weapons to fight. This war is based around the “white” mans crave for diamonds and his lust for the stones. Whenever a resource is desired and everyone wants it wars always break out. Diamonds are just pebbles, if man didn’t desire them they would be worth nothing.

The problem is De Beers is using false scarcity to make people buy diamonds even though they are very common. De Beers is causing Africa to fight and shed blood. Like I said earlier if the white man was not involved then the diamonds wouldn’t be fought for.

I hope you have learned about diamonds and war and you have learned a little more about each one.

Article posted April 14, 2009 at 02:57 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 53

Blood Diamond is a movie about the sale of conflict diamonds in Africa and what is causes the R.U.F to do and what the government does to stop it. Also it teaches you of how the conflict diamonds are mixed in with clean ones for legitimate mines.

The book is about HIV/AIDS in Africa and the problems that having it can present. They have a few similarities and differences and I am here to tell you what they are.

These are a few of the similarities of Blood Diamond and Chanda’s Secrets, first they both take place in Africa and they both have the mention of HIV/AIDS in it. The relations of AIDS is when Danny Archer comes out of his apartment and a prostitute says she is clean. Though it is not really big in the movie as it is in the book. Also vice versa the book isn’t big on war but it is big on the topic of HIV/AIDS. Also the white man is highly involved in both causing problems in each story.

Some of the differences are that Blood Diamond is a little unrealistic because Solomon finds his wife and daughter in a camp of a million in under 5 minutes. Second, the same camp that he goes to is where his son is. This means its fictional. On the other hand Chanda’s Secrets is true events that is happening in Africa.

Comparing South Africa to other parts like Botswana are that one is very rich and the other part is poor. Also comparing the white people in both stories. In Blood Diamond the whites fuel the war by buying the cheap diamonds and keeping the rebels supplied with firearms. In Chanda’s Secrets the whites order poor people to work in their mine and while the Africans make little money the white people make a ton of money.

This is the conclusion of my essay I hope you have learned more about the differences and similarities of Blood Diamond and Chanda’s Secrets.

Article posted March 30, 2009 at 02:46 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 54

Symbolism is used by showing an image or word that brings something into mind. Like if you saw a pink ribbon you would think of breast cancer or if you saw a skull you would think of death.

Some of the examples of symbolism are the red ribbon which represents HIV/AIDS. This represents because AIDS is a well known disease because it kills almost whoever gets it in Africa. Also there is the cross which can represents two things. First, it can represent religion and that is why peoples coffins may be engraved with a cross and religion is important in poor countries because they have something to belive that will take care of them. Second, it can mean death with comes with the base of religion because if your good for your life and when you die you will go to a better place and that means death also.

A third example is the word aids means death and people are afraid to say it or people will spread rumours. Fourth, the bones that the spiritual represented something to the lady and she told Lilian what it meant.

Article posted March 30, 2009 at 02:11 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 47

.Globalization bad for poor countries

. 20 years ago china was equal now its one of least equal country

. in a few years china might become as unequal as Brazil, Mexico and Chile

. with globalization new opportunities arise but new problems do also

. in china 1per capita in 1980s to 2000s

. China wealth increases as well India

. Poverty rate decreased in India

. Growth in India increases making a bigger gap between India and Sub-Saharan Africa.

. Poorer countries grow cause of globalization

. percentage of underweight children in India is much larger than in sub-Saharan Africa

. where much of the poverty is concentrated has declined

. But it is not always clear that globalization is the main force responsible for increased inequality

The Dark Knight is the second movie it takes place after the first movie, Batman Begins. This movie was much better then the first because Bruce Wayne is already Batman and the Joker was a very good actor. As the movie progress the cops are trying to take down the mob’s life savings. Harvey Dent Gotham’s new DA (district attorney) has caught with the help of Batman someone who could bring down the mob. Harvey locks away the mob and with the help of a judge and then the Joker kills the judge and goes after Harvey, he fails.

As you get deeper into the movie you start to realize Joker and Batman aren’t that different. Joker has planned chaos for Gotham as the police and Batman try to stop it from happening. As batman realizes what he has to do to prevent this.

This was a great movie I loved so did a lot of other people. It sucks that Heath Ledger died because he was a great actor and will be missed. This movie would fall under the category of action, adventure and maybe drama.

I give this move 9.5/10 because it’s the sickest movies I have ever seen.

My experience at high schools visiting gave me an impression.

When I went to NT the school looked ruined, so I thought the kids would also, I was wrong. The kids at NT were bursting with energy so it looked like they really loved their school. As I visited classes the teachers were just giving us candy or not really trying to impress us, really it was up to the kids to do that. The classes were getting boring after the few hours we were there and I kind of wanted to leave. When we sang the school song the choir was energetic and even pushy to make us sing. This really made me think about the high school I was going to, NT had a new school coming and the kids love their school.

Northern, when I arrived it looked like a castle with so many corridors I though id get lost. We went to the auditorium and as I was listening and saw so broken windows. As we continued the tour the kids didn’t seem happy with touring us as much as NT but the teachers were much for into it, vice versa of NT. As 8-1 went to the classes I was getting bored of the usual routine of going from class to class here the same teacher blabbering on about their subject. When we got to the gym, it was a huge! Gym. I saw the weight room and the gym was a least double the size of DP’s gym. At 3 I left and talked about the two high schools with Liam. I said NT was ruined and the kid’s were to pushy about making us go to the school. But then Liam said Northern was more scared of NT in the sense that they had to make fun of it while at NT the kids say there both great schools to go to.

This is my high school experience but Northern is for me.

Article posted September 24, 2008 at 11:43 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 49

Both sides had good agruments but i have to say if the government had nothing to do with the attacks they would provide all the imformation they could get. Dylan Avery had better points he explained that the government did'nt explain much if you had nothing to do with somthing terrible normally you tell someone what happened. Dylan Avery had very good points about Bush being away from the White house and the supposively crashed flight. They had coroners who said there wasn't any blood or bodies and the the Popular Mechanics contacted them and they said he had to collect body parts. But when the tryed to contact him again he didn't want to talk. Strange that after he talked to the government he didn't wish to talk again mabye the government did "somthing". Also the planes were allowed to fly without being shot down while all the others landed and how the flight that crashed into the pentagon the plane crashed into the crash resistent part. The facts are there and nobody knows what really happened. This is my opinion on 9/11

Free CursorsMyspace LayoutsMyspace Comments