Copyright (c) 2014 by declan l Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
declan l -- Blogmeister

Declan's awsomely, amazing, awe-inspiring, possesive, superior, groovy, cool, superb, great, nwb, powning, Blog

72

A cozy little stop where, technology in language arts, history and geography, meld together for Room 301 students at Deer Park.

by declan l

teacher: Mr. D

Venn Diagrams 04/08/09
Baseball #1 04/05/09
On friday I.... 04/05/09
My stay in Florida 03/28/09
My trip to Florida 03/28/09
New Years Resolutions Week #6 03/07/09
Macedonia/Darko 02/20/09
New Years Resolutions Week #5 02/19/09
E.E. Cummings or e.e. cummings 02/08/09
New Years Resolutions Week #4 01/30/09

Click here for full screen version

Click here for full screen version

Click here for full screen version

As all people that like Baseball know, the Baseball season is coming up.

Baseball is my favourite sport because I started to play it when I was 3, and it’s the sport I’m best at. In my opinion Baseball was the best sport. Up until grade 2 everybody in our class thought that Baseball was the most popular sport in the world, that’s when our teacher told us Soccer, was. I have no objection against people saying Soccer is a good sport, but I think that Baseball is better.

My view on some of the main sports:

Hockey:

•Probably the most boring sport in the world to watch.

•A snail could go faster than all of the games being played at once.

•Fun to play (at times).

•Too much fighting.

•Fans can be crazy.

•How is beer related to it?

•Example of announcer in Hockey: There goes a player with the puck, he passes, the other team intercepts, goes the other way, oh no they lost it. Now the team that started with the puck is going the way they have been trying to go for the last 40 minutes. I mean that has to be boring.

Basketball:

•Too many tall people.

•Invented by a Canadian (that’s actually something good)

•Everyone screams when someone does a slam dunk, I mean get over it.

•How many different ways can you foul again?

•The Eastern Conference has the Orlando Magic, the Cleveland Cavaliers, and the Boston Celtics, to win that’s 3-15 odds. Who’s going to win the with those odds?

Football:

•Everybody wants a sport that everyone can play. With Football you can’t.

•Like, Basketball, who can remember all the fouls. E.G. Oh no he moved back to far.

•You either have pains from all the tackles when you are older, or you are the referee.

•How many college bowls are there?

•If you play football, it’s like saying; hey lets find the easiest way to get a concussion.

Now that I have shared my views on main sports I would like to tell you some of my predictions for the upcoming Baseball season. (Placed in the order in which they will place)

American League:

New York Yankees: Last year the Yankees were hobbled by injuries, and finished in 3rd in there division. Then Andy Pettite and Alex Rodriguez both said that they used performance enhancing drugs. But spending $423.5 million on Mark Teixiera, C.C. Sabathia, and A.J. Burnett should help boost them beyond there rivals, the Boston Red Sox, and Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Boston Red Sox: Last year, with the Yankee roster full of injuries, the Red Sox should have been a sure thing for the playoffs. Instead they were forced to take the long road by way of the wilds card. Again this year will probably be the same, but they will not be embarrassed by a team that never had more than 70 wins in a season. This year it will be the Yankees. Basically the Red Sox made no trades this season, but they already have one of the best balanced teams in baseball. Expect the Red Sox to try and take first place, and if not be ready for them to take the wild card.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays: This team had never won more than 70 games in one season, until last year. Since the Yankees had a roster full of injuries, Tampa Bay managed to pass them. But the most surprising thing was that they passed Boston for the lead of the American League East. But something interesting is that no other team in Baseball had 5 pitchers make 27 starts each, this means that the bullpen rotation was quite healthy, do not expect to see that again though.

Toronto Blue Jays: The Blue Jays would be a major competitor in any other league than this one. The reason being, last year the Blue Jays had the best E.R.A. (Earned Run Average) in the major leagues, and the y had more wins then the Los Angeles Dodgers, who won there division lat year. The last few years the Blue Jays have been a magnet for injuries. This year they should do well, except they lost starter A.J. Burnett to the Yankees and Roy Halladay could be traded if the season does not start off well. But Travis Snider is one of the big hopes in Toronto, last year Travis hit a 301 average with two home runs and 13 RBI in 24 games.

Baltimore Orioles: The Baltimore Orioles are the team that is going to be last this season. For the last few years they have been rebuilding. They have signed some of there veterans to longer contracts, and have two top prospects Matt Weiters and Adam Jones, also Baltimore has a strong pitching rotation on there farm team. Expect better next season.

On Friday, I went to see the movie “Knowing” with Tobias K, in 8-2. We arrived at the movie theatre at 12:30 pm and the movie started at 12:40 pm. So we had to rush, luckily there was absolutely nobody in line, and we went straight to the movie.

The movie is about a man named Jonathan Koestler (Nicolas Cage) and his son Caleb (Chandler Canterbury). But the movie starts in 1959 with the main character being a girl called Lucinda Embry. The school is holding a celebration, and each student must put in an idea of a special event at the end of the celebration. Lucinda’s idea is chosen, she chose to put a time capsule in the ground that will be opened in 50 years. Each student in then required to draw a picture of what they think the world will look like in 50 years. Instead of drawing a picture like all of the other children, Lucinda writes an assortment of seemingly random numbers, but before she can finish the teacher takes her paper away.

During the celebration Lucinda disappears. A search is conducted and the teacher finds her in the closet under the gym, scratching at the door, to write the final numbers that the teacher did not let her write.

Then 50 years later the time capsule is opened, and the letters are handed out by Lucinda’s old teacher. Caleb ends up getting Lucinda’s letter. His father, John, thinks nothing of it until, when wiping some water that he spilled on it off, he notices that it has the exact date on which 9/11 took place, and the number of deaths. That night John decides to check the rest of the numbers, and finds out that half of the numbers (not including three) have all been disasters. John, being puzzled by what all of the other numbers are, goes to a friend to see if he can tell him. His friend has absolutely no idea.

The next day John is stuck in a traffic jam on the highway, while trying to get to school to pick Caleb up. He gets out of his car to see what the accident is. While he is talking to a police officer, an airplane crashes right behind them. Later that day, on the television, the news report on the plane crash, says that 81 people were killed, the exact number on the list. John realizes, while he is looking at the numbers that the ones he cannot figure out are Latitude and Longitude, of the places that the disasters took place.

John then figures out where the next disaster is going to take place. He warns the police, but the next day when he goes to see if they took his tip seriously, the place that he warned the accident was going to be is full of people milling around.

John talks to a police officer that gets suspicious, and chases him. To throw the police officer off of his trail, John runs down through a Subway. While he is waiting for the train to start, he sees a train that has been knocked off of the tracks coming. He manages to jump to the ground, in time for the train to miss him. But the train does not miss another 173 people, the exact number on the list.

I will not tell you anymore, so that I will not ruin the story.

After the movie Toby and I both agreed that it was very well done. We then went to the arcade and spent some time there, before taking the Subway back to our homes.

The morning after we arrived I woke up around 10:00 am. When we stay in Florida we rent an apartment. Luckily the apartment we are renting is right beside the beach, and we can see the ocean! The first two days at the apartment (Saturday and Sunday) we basically just sat around, went swimming and boogie boarding in the ocean.

Then on Monday some of the people in the apartment organized a Shuffleboard game. It was called “Crazy Shuffle.” The reason being that we played a bunch of games weird games instead of Shuffleboard. In the end “Crazy Shuffle” was very fun even though my team lost. After “Crazy Shuffle” we went and saw a space shuttle take of from Cape Canaveral. The shuttle was only 20 miles away so we could see it from a good view. Also NASA is going to stop sending these certain kinds of shuttles in to space so my parents and I saw one of the last ones!

On Tuesday I woke up and played tennis, yes the apartment had a tennis court, with some friends. I again lost in tennis; I might be setting a new trend. After tennis we went to a diner that had fresh fish sandwiches. The sandwiches were very good. After Lunch we went on an Eco-tour. The Eco-tour was very fun, I learned a lot about the environment. We saw many dolphins and the tour guide had a collection of specimens from the lagoon.

Then on Wednesday I played some bocce. I played with my Nana, and we made it to the consolation finals until, you guest it we lost! The bocce was quite fun, even though people said that compared to some times, not that many people were at the bocce game.

On Thursday I went to a spring training game. The teams that were playing were the Washington Nationals and the Baltimore Orioles. The Orioles led until the bottom of the ninth inning when the game was tied by 5-5 with a runner on third and two outs. The batter came up, I forget who it was, and hit a ground ball that would have been an out, but the second baseman threw the baseball past the first baseman and the runner on third scored. The Nationals won 6-5.

On Friday we did the same stuff as we did on Saturday and Sunday, we sat around, went swimming, and went for walks on the beach.

My parents and I left Florida on Saturday at about 8:30 am. We arrived at our destination, Dublin Virginia, at about 8:00 pm. It was a very long drive. We stayed at a Sleep inn. We went for dinner to a local pizzeria called Mk’s pizzeria. I had pizza, which was very good, and my parents had pasta which was cold once they got it. In the end they warmed the pasta up and it was quite good. We soon went for a swim in the pool of the hotel, and then retired to bed.

We got up and left around 8:00 am and arrived in Buffalo at about 4:00 pm. We stopped at a famous pizzeria called La Nova. La Nova sells more pizzas then any other pizzeria in the USA, not including chains like Pizza Pizza, Pizza Hut, etc.

The pizza was amazing and we ate it in the car on the way to Toronto. We arrived back in Toronto at about 8:00 pm. We arrived to nice weather for once, instead of lots of snow. So that is all of the blogs for this week. Later.

A picture of the apartment that we stayed at.

For the March Break I went to New Smyrna Beach, Florida. New Smyrna Beach is on the Atlantic coast of Florida, and is inbetween Daytona Beach and Cape Canaveral. I left school earlier in the week, before the March Break began, because instead of flying my parents and I drove.

The first place that we stopped at was a small city (about 8,000 people) in Pennsylvania called Grove City. The reason that we stopped so soon was because we did not leave Canada until about 2:00 pm, and there is a very big discount mall ,which my parents like to shop at. After we went shopping at the mall, we went and ate at a resturant chain, located only in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Virginia, called Eat’n Park. The reason that we stopped at Eat'n Park is because we love the salad bar, the only problem was that the salad bar had been closed early because there were not enough customers. Instead i had a chocolate shake and a club sandwhich. After the food we went and spent the night at a Best Western. We woke up early the next morning and left the hotel after breakfast at about 9:00 am.

The second day was a long driving day and we arrived at Rock Hill, South Carolina (population 65,000) around dinner time. We went to a resturant called Cracker Barrel. The reason we went to the Cracker Barrel is because they have a general store, and the food is usually better than most places. After that we went to a Hampton Inn and stayed the night there. In the morning we got up even earlier than the day before, and we were on the road at about 8:00 am.

Our next destination was St. Augustine, Florida. The reason that we stopped in St. Augustine was because there is a very big Alligator farm their. The Alligator farm was quite an amazing place. They had lots of different kinds of Crocodiles and Alligators, many of them were endangered species. We even managed to see the Alligators get fed their dinner. The food looked like giant dog food pellets, and it smeeled something disgusting. After we left St. Augustine we managed to get to our destination, New Smyrna Beach, by 8:00 pm. That night for dinner we had She-Crab soup and fresh Pompano, with my Aunt, Uncle, Cousin, and Nana. Also that night we could relax since we had finally made it to Florida!

I know that I am way behind on the New Years Resolution blog, so I am going to finish them right now.

For once I am going to talk about something other than food. Two weeks ago I went to the Italian Cultural Institute (ICI). I went to the ICI because they were going to have a talk about the famous Italian scientist Galileo Galilie. The reason that the ICI was having a talk was because this year is the 400th anniversary of the invention of the telescope. Galileo did not actually invent the telescope. The first person to invent the telescope was an unknown optometrist. The only problem with the telescope the optometrist invented was that it was a non-powerful telescope. Galileo was fascinated by the telescope and made it more powerful, by about 30 times. Anyway the talk lasted for about an hour and a half, it was very interesting, and it was presented by John Percy, an astronomer.

In my opinion the talk was a good one. Mr. Percy told us facts, told us stories, and showed us pictures. All of it was quite interesting. He had an amazing assortment of pictures to show us on a slide show, all of far away galaxies and of huge telescopes. It was all quite all breathtaking. Well that is the end of this blog. Next week will be about food.

For this blog I am going to write about a country. The country that I am going to write about is called the Republic of Macedonia*. The reason that I chose Macedonia is because my best friend, Darko in 7-3, is from Macedonia.

The Republic of Macedonia was declared a country in 1991. Macedonia borders Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, and Albania, Atem in 7-3 is from Albania. It became a member of the United Nations in 1993. Macedonia is also part of the Council of Europe, WTO (World Trade Organization), La Francophonie**, and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe. It has also appealed to NATO, and is a candidate for the European Union. Its capital city is called Skopje which holds 40% of Macedonia’s population, 506926 live in Skopje according to a census which took place in 2004. The estimated population in 2008 was 2,061,315.

Darko and I have been friends since grade 3, 2004. Darko had just moved to Canada and I had just moved in to the neighbourhood. Darko was a year older than everyone in th the class. This was because he was born late in 1993 (December)At first we did not talk to each other because Darko knew no English. But late in grade three , when Darko had learned some English, we became friends and started to go to each others house. Soon a great friendship bond was made and we remain ever still best friends.

* Every once in a while I am going to write about a country and if I know someone that is from that country.

** La Francophonie is an organization that is made up of countries with French as their first language.

This weekend I caught a fever. Over the weekend my temperature was 100.1 Celsius. The regular temperature of the human body is 96.8 Celsius. This meant, as you can imagine, that I really did not feel well.

Over that weekend I tried one new thing. I know I sort of forgot the whole New Years resolutions because I was sick and I was sleeping for most of the long weekend. I still managed to try one thing, even though it is not that substantial. The school had a long weekend because the school had a P.D. day and last Monday was Family Day, which means we miss school. Then I missed Tuesday because of my fever.

The one thing that I tried was chocolate Chai. Chai is a kind of tea from India. Chai is my favourite kind of tea, with lots of Milk and Sugar in it. But I had never tried chocolate Chai before. I really did not like the tea. The chocolate taste was one that I did not like, and the tea was not that strong. The tea was a bit old, I think, so that may have been the reason that it was not that strong, but I am not sure that it was old so it could just have been made with no taste at all.

For my fever I also tried a lot of other hot things, but I had always had them before. Like Chicken soup, regular Chai, and Hot lemon. All of these helped a lot. So if you have a fever you should try them all< except for the chocolate Chai.

This was an assignment to write about one poet of your choice. I chose to write about the poet E.E. Cummings.

E.E. Cummings (Edward Estlin Cummings) was born on October 14th, 1894. His parents were Edward and Rebecca Cummings.

In high school E.E. Cummings wrote poetry for the school newspaper. From 1911-1916 he attended Harvard University. During his time at Harvard he received the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1915 and a Masters degree for English and Classical studies.

In 1920 E.E. Cummings published his first poems in a collection of poetry called Eight Harvard Poets.

The main form of poetry that E.E. Cummings wrote were poems called sonnets. Sonnets are 14 line poems that follow a particular rhyme. E.E. Cummings also wrote some Free Verse poems. The main themes of the poetry that E.E. Cummings wrote about were Love and Nature.

Many of his poems have a different style than most poetry with words, parts of words, and different kinds of punctuation spread across the page; these poems often did not make sense until someone read them aloud.

E.E. Cummings published his very first poetry book called Tulips and Chimneys in 1923. The other books that he published were:

• The enormous room (1922) this was a novel not a book of poetry.

• Tulips and Chimneys (1923)

• XLI poems (1925)

• Is 5 (1926)

• HIM (1927) this was a play not a book of poetry

• ViVa (1931)

• Eimi (1933)

• No Thanks (1935)

• 50 poems (1940)

• 1 x 1 (1944)

• XAIPE: 71 poems (1950)

• Poems 1923-1954 (1954)

• 95 poems (1958)

• Collected poems (1960)

• 73 poems (1963) After Death

• Fairy Tales (1965) After Death

On September 3rd, 1962, E.E. Cummings died of a stroke in North Conway, New Hampshire.

During the time in which he was alive he received the following awards, plus many more:

• Dial Award (1925)

• Guggenheim Fellowship (1933)

• Shelley Memorial Award for Poetry (1944)

• Harriet Monroe Prize from Poetry magazine (1950)

• Fellowship of American Academy of Poets (1950)

• Guggenheim Fellowship (1951)

• Charles Eliot Norton Professorship at Harvard (1952–1953)

• Special citation from the National Book Award Committee for his Poems, 1923-1954 (1957)

• Bollingen Prize in Poetry (1958)

• Boston Arts Festival Award (1957)

• Two-year Ford Foundation grant of $15,000 (1959)

The reason that I chose E.E. Cummings was because he had his own style of writing. By own style of writing I mean that he invented a totally new style of writing. He would set up his words so that it looked like nothing would make sense on paper, but when read his poems would make sense. He made up his own kind of writing from looking at other poets’ writing and combining it with his own. I think that he is a very interesting person. One more interesting thing about E.E. Cummings was that sometimes he wrote his name in lower case rather than in upper case (Capital letters). You might think that this may not be that important, oh wow he wrote his name in lower case once. That is not true he used it all the time, his publishers used it, people that wrote about him wrote his name with lower case! It was even said that he had legally changed his name to e.e. cummings. In the end this rumours ended up not being true.

Here is one of his poems:

anyone lived in a pretty how town

(with up so floating many bells down)

spring summer autumn winter

he sang his didn't he danced his did.

Women and men (both little and small)

cared for anyone not at all

they sowed their isn't they reaped their same

sun moon stars rain

children guessed (but only a few

and down they forgot as up they grew

autumn winter spring summer)

that noone loved him more by more

when by now and tree by leaf

she laughed his joy she cried his grief

bird by snow and stir by still

anyone's any was all to her

someones married their everyones

laughed their cryings and did their dance

(sleep wake hope and then)they

said their nevers they slept their dream

stars rain sun moon

(and only the snow can begin to explain

how children are apt to forget to remember

with up so floating many bells down)

one day anyone died i guess

(and noone stooped to kiss his face)

busy folk buried them side by side

little by little and was by was

all by all and deep by deep

and more by more they dream their sleep

noone and anyone earth by april

with by spirit and if by yes.

Women and men (both dong and ding)

summer autumn winter spring

reaped their sowing and went their came

sun moon stars rain

a picture of E.E. Cummings.

Article posted January 31, 2009 at 12:18 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 37

Well I have managed to make it through another week of things to try. This week I only tried two things, I know not three like last week but still more than one. Everything that I try seems to be related to food in some sort of way. This is probably because food is one of the easier things to try, + I always eat a lot of food.

The first thing that if tried was lamb Tagine, it is a North African dish. It is obviously lamb, made in a sauce which includes curry powder. It is sort of like a stew. I have to say that I did not like it that much; it was too sweet for me.

While since I don’t think that I have enough words to finish this blog I will just try and waste time.

Okay I think that I have wasted enough time. The second thing that I tried was a Sheep’s yogurt with maple syrup. I liked it better than the lamb, but I still did not like it that much. Overall as you can tell I tried a bunch of things that I do not like that much. But I still kept my New Years Resolutions going.