Copyright (c) 2014 by claire r Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
claire r -- Blogmeister

Claire's Blog

82

A cozy little stop where, technology in language arts, history and geography, meld together for Room 301 students at Deer Park.

by claire r

teacher: Mr. D

Article posted May 28, 2009 at 02:54 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 246

I found that in New York a popular book was It's Complicated:The American Teenager by Robin Bowman, I found this cool because I too like to read about other people's experiences and this book is all about the different experiences of teenagers across America. I found that in both Toronto and in Kingston, England Twilight by Stephanie Meyer is a very popular book. At the local library in Kingdotn they were having a Twilight night and I think that would be fun to attend. In Vancouver The Contest by Gordon Korman is a very popular book and he is a pretty well-known author here too. His books are mostly about adventure and I wonder if because Toronto is such a urban city we dont like to read so much about adventure. I found out that in Sydney a popular book was Lamplighter by David Cornish. In Hong Kong the series Geronimo Stilton is very popular, that series was very popular here a couple of years ago. It is neat how that same book are read around the world.

I found that in London the book Girls, Girls, Girls by Jonah Black was very popular which is kind of funny because the book is all about how to figure out girls in general. In Rio de Janiero the book Sandman is very popular. I find it very interesting how the same books are read all over the world.

Both of these crises were over land. The natives felt they were not getting their point across and the only way to do that successfully was to protest. Unfortunately, neither the Caledonia protest nor the Ipperwash protest were peaceful, they both turned violent. The government took two opposite approaches with the different protests. The first being to go at it very aggressively with the Ipperwash protest, and then they were very passive with the Caledonia protest. Both situations were very unfortunate and no matter what tactic the government took, they still lost.

The Ipperwash crisis began with a group of natives occupying Ipperwash Provincial Park after hours. They were protesting over land claims. The situation became a crisis when the natives smashed in a police cruiser window. The plan from the government was to remove occupiers from the park ASAP. A small group of natives wandered outside the park armed with bats and other various weapons. The government sent the Crowd Management Unit (CMU) to retreat back into the park. The CMU went in and initially, the natives retreated so the CMU retreated. Then a native man approached and was taken down and beaten by the police. A car and school bus driven by natives came out from the park to help the small group and the police open fired on them. This resulted in the injuries of two natives and the death of Dudley George, a native man. As you can tell the government went at this pretty aggressively releasing the OPP, the CMU and the Tactical Response Unit. This really didn’t put the government in a good place with the natives.

The Caledonia Crisis began with the natives protesting over land claims. They invaded the Douglas Creek Estates and squatted there. The first act to try to get them off that land was the property owner obtained an injunction ordering the protesters off the land. Though there were no deaths, a man working on a house one kilometre away from the Douglas Creek Estate property, Sam Gualtieri, was seriously beaten. The natives beat him with wooden beams until the point of unconsciousness. They felt protesting was the only was to have their voice heard because they government wasn’t going to listen any other way. The government really didn’t take a stand with this matter for fear of repeating the past regarding the Ipperwash Crisis and the death of a native man. As the Canadian Free Press puts it “Fearful of being labelled racists, Liberal politicians are even more afraid of being caught up in the crossfire should the Caledonia crisis become another Ipperwash, where Dudley George, an unarmed Chippewa native was shot and killed by an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) sniper.”

The main difference between the two crises was the way the government acted. They were very aggressive with the Ipperwash crisis and passive with the Caledonia crisis. I think they were more passive with the Caledonia crisis because of the mistakes they had made during the Ipperwash crisis. Both the crises involved serious violence, but from different ends. During the Ipperwash crisis Dudley George was shit by a police officer, and during the Caledonia crisis Sam Gualtieri was beaten by natives. So they government really didn’t find a medium in the way to deal with these situations. If this situation does come up again, hopefully the government will be able to find a happy medium in which to deal with it.

"Caledonia--a Tragedy Waiting to Happen." Canada Free Press - A conservative Free Press, News, Politics, Commentary. 05 May 2009 <http://www.canadafreepress.com/2006/cover062206.htm>.

EditDelete

EditDelete

"TheSpec.com - Local - Caledonia crisis is not ours to fix, Liberals say." TheSpec.com. 05 May 2009 <http://www.thespec.com/article/250337>."CBC News In Depth: Ipperwash." CBC.ca - Canadian News Sports Entertainment Kids Docs Radio TV. 05 May 2009 ."Ipperwash Crisis - Consequences." Global Oneness - The meeting place for Cultural Creatives - Articles, News, Community, Forums, Travel & Events and much more. 05 May 2009 ."Ipperwash Crisis: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article." AbsoluteAstronomy.com. 05 May 2009 http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Ipperwash_Crisis.

Article posted April 23, 2009 at 01:42 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 55

If I were a Mohawk I would have changed what they did slightly. After the town council announced the plan for the golf course, I would have tried to negotiate a settlement, they tried to reach a settlement after their 78-day standoff, I would have done that first. I would explain the reasons for not going ahead with the golf course instead of resorting to violence right away.

If this didn’t work, I would have to call upon the Mohawk warriors because the Mayor of Oka called in the police. You would need an armed force to protect you. It would be the right thing to do because the Mohawks woke up to tear gas being shot at them. The police resorted to violence before the Mohawks did.

So I think the Mohawks should have tried to work out a negotiation before they called the warriors in. But other than that, they were forced to use violence because violence was used upon them.

De Beers has established a monopoly of the diamond industry, so they have complete say in what the public impression is. They have trained us to thinking, from the very beginning, that diamonds are rare and a necessity of life. De Beers has also launched the campaign “a diamond is forever”, making people believe that diamonds are essential part of love and marriage. To make sure they have a complete monopoly, one of the strategies they use is emphasizing how precious diamonds are and playing on the emotional attachment to diamonds that people have, to prevent resale. One company controls the way the whole world thinks of diamonds.

De Beers gives the impression that diamonds are very rare through advertisements and manipulation. But really, diamonds are very plentiful but De Beers make the illusion that diamonds are very rare. They learned their lesson when in the 1870’s, the number of diamonds put into the market was increased and therefore the price was decreased significantly. So from then on, they controlled the amount of diamonds going into to market, keeping the illusion that diamonds are rare, therefore keeping the price up. Another way De Beers keeps up the illusion of diamond scarcity is, they increase the price of diamonds 100-200% when they are sold. People think that because they are so expensive, they must be very rare and precious. Really diamonds are not rare and are a lot less valuable than they are put out to be.

The De Beers campaign “a diamond is forever” trains people to think that diamonds are a sign of eternal love and are a necessity for marriage. A man is now expected to spend 3 months salary on his fiancée’s engagement ring. And then, on top of that spend more on his wife’s wedding ring. In modern times there isn’t really that much of a choice as to whether or not to go through the engagement/wedding ring process, it is thought to be a necessity. De Beers went so far as to fundamentally alter the traditional Japanese courtship ritual. They did this by launching a similar campaign to the “a diamond is forever” campaign in Japan. De Beers also gets celebrities and royalty to wear diamonds to make people believe that they are a sign of wealth and very sought after. The manipulation of the minds of a whole country is so strong that the traditional ways of courtship were put behind the ways one company says it should be done.

De Beers has to make sure that they have a complete monopoly because they want all the money and complete control of the amount of diamonds that go into the market. One of the ways they do this is play on the emotional attachment people have to their diamonds so they wont resell them.

One company controls the way the whole world thinks of these “precious” gems. Really diamonds are very plentiful but the illusion is kept up because of the way De Beers limits the amount of diamonds going into the market. They make everyone believe they are a sign of love, and if you don’t receive one on your wedding day, well then you’re not loved. They also make you believe they are too valuable to give away. All this manipulation is master-mined by one company, De Beers.

In class we studied globalization and tied the book Chanda’s Secrets and Blood Diamond into that unit. They both take place in Africa and involve the Diamond industry. They both centre on different dilemmas in Africa. Chanda’s Secrets focuses on AIDS and Blood Diamond focuses in the R.U.F. and conflict diamonds.

Chanda’s father and brothers worked in a diamond mine and all died in a mine cave-in along with 30 other workers. The author, Allan Stratton juxtaposes the fact that 30 miners die mining for these precious gems to what they are worth in the western world. The author really make you think, is this precious gem really worth a human being’s life? Another theme in the book is shame. In this small community of Bonang where Chanda lives, AIDS is very common but everybody tries to cover up the fact that they have AIDS or a family member does. There is a very prominent stigma that is associated with AIDS and nobody wants to admit to having it themselves, or in the family. In the book, Esther, Chanda’s best friend turns to prostitution to make money so she can bring her family back together. It is a last result for her as it is for many women that decide to go that way with their lives.

The Blood Diamond is about the R.F.U. who raid villages and kidnap men and young boys to fight for them and mine for diamonds so they can sell them to the western world. It shows a very extreme look at the village raids and what happens to the men and boys who are kidnapped and the pain and suffering they go through so the western world can get their sparkling jewels. It also exposes the fact that when the western world buys the diamonds from the R.U.F., we are basically fuelling the ongoing war in places like Sierra Leone and Angola. This movie gives you a deeper look at really how many live are sacrificed for the happiness of men and women in the western world.

Both of these stories centre on different things but both deal with two of the main issues in Africa, the diamond industry and prostitution. Chanda’s Secrets focuses a bit more on prostitution with Esther actually becoming a prostitute and getting raped. When she is raped she gets AIDS and becomes ashamed of her actions, because many people view prostitution as a horrible thing, and they think all prostitutes have AIDS. Because the book is mainly written from Chanda’s point of view, you don’t really see what prostitution looks like from and outsider’s point of view. In one of the scenes in Blood Diamond, Danny, is walking down the street and a prostitute is trying to get business from him and one of the things that she says, trying to persuade him to do business with her is “Don’t worry, I’m free”, meaning she is free of the AIDS virus. Another commonality with the two stories is the lives lost in the diamonds mines/industry. The Blood Diamond focuses mainly on this issue and takes an in depth look at the process of getting a diamond from a river in Africa to the finger of some lucky women in the western world. Where as in Chanda’s Secrets, the only part of the book to do with diamonds is in the beginning, when Chanda’s father and brothers die in a mine. Some differences are the fact that everybody in Chanda’s Secrets is ashamed of the fact that they have AIDS or know someone with it, even though almost everybody knows someone with the virus. But in Blood Diamond, all the families of the boys/men are not ashamed of the fact that they have family member that were kidnapped, because they understand that most people have lost men to the R.U.F. and instead of dwelling on it, one man, Soly, goes on a mission to find his son who was kidnapped. Another difference is that in Chanda’s Secrets living in Tiro, the mining town is made out to be marvellous and looked at like the best place to live, it was a privilege to live there. But in Blood Diamond, working in the Diamond industry is made out to be awful and torturous and not a privilege at all.

So overall these stories are very similar because they focus on problems in Africa and follow the lives of people going through struggles that many people go through in Africa. They both highlight major problems in Africa and make you think twice about your life here in the western world.

Article posted March 27, 2009 at 01:55 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 78

Symbolism is the act of symbolizing something. A symbol is used to represent something or someone, or even a group of people. Symbolizing can be very useful because is shows people who the things belong to, where they go, where they’re from, what they do etc., symbols also save an explanation for something because for example, if you have a tattoo of the Olympic rings, there is no doubt you have gone to the Olympics. It is a short way for you to communicate to people that you have done something, gone somewhere etc.

Some symbols used in Chanda’s Secrets are when Esther dresses in skimpy clothing, it is a hint that she is hooking, you don’t know is she is yet but the author hints it by the way she dresses. Another symbol used is the fact that Mrs. Tafa has a telephone is a symbol that she is wealthy. Before the author describes Mr. Tafa’s job, he describes the things that they have, that imply that they are wealthy. A third symbol used in the book is when Chanda, her mom and Mrs. Tafa go and visit the doctor that Mrs. Tafa raves about with all his fancy certificates, and he is talking about all his remedies, and he says he has cure for AIDS. This is a hint that Lillian has AIDS, the author doesn’t give anything away, but the reader’s suspicion has been building about whether Lillian has AIDS, and this adds to their suspicion. Also, when Jonah comes back and he has all the symptoms of AIDS, the author is hinting that Lillian and Sara have AIDS because Jonah and Lillian had Sara together. A last symbol used in the book is when Chanda phones the general store owner in Tiro and asks him to ask her mom to phone her, and she doesn’t, it is a sign that she is not well.

Overall, symbolism can be very useful because it can keep the reader intrigued because they have so many hints and they just want to keep reading to find out what the end result is.

Globe and Mail

January 15, 2009

Life Section

I think that airlines’ not caring about people’s allergies is very inconsiderate. People do not have allergies by choice. They are either born with them or develop them. Their reactions can not be controlled and can be very serious. An anaphylactic reaction is a severe, life-threatening systematic allergic reaction triggered by exposure to one or more antigens. When someone has an allergic reaction at 36 000 feet, little can be done to land at the nearest airport-miles away, and get to the hospital in time to treat it. One allergic reaction at such high altitudes should be enough to stop airlines from selling foods that trigger allergic reactions on board. But it hasn’t.

People with allergies do no have a choice whether they want them or not. Just like they cannot chose when or where they have an anaphylactic reaction. The fact that airlines continue to carry products that trigger these reactions is really just plain ignorant. Airlines are carrying products that could potentially kill someone, yet they continue to                 that it is necessary to keep the clients content with a snack that is life-threatening to some of the clients. Even though those “some” clients are a very small percentage, one life taken by this issue should be enough to stop providing these harmful products, but the tasty treats apparently come before a person’s life.

When someone has an allergic reaction that high in the air, it is very hard to receive the right treatment. A hospital is possibly miles away, and the time it takes to land the whole plane, get that one person off the plane and into the ambulance and to the hospital, is way too long for the reaction to e controlled. Plus, everyone else on the plane most likely has to be somewhere and the inconvenience that causes for them, I’m sure is not appreciated. So why is it so hard to replace these snack foods and avoid these major problems?

So my advice to the airlines, that continue to put people’s lives in danger, is STOP! I really don’t think that the snacks, that are potentially life-threatening to some people, are completely necessary. So I think that these airlines should really save themselves problems and stop providing products that trigger anaphylactic reactions.

The author that I picked to research is Judith Timson from the Globe and Mail. She writes for the Life section. A lot of her articles are opinion pieces. She has a strong view and makes that known throughout her article. She is very optimistic and catches you with her vibrant mood right away. She is very sarcastic which can sometimes be hard to show when you’re writing. My favourite article of hers is called “Stop infecting me with your crappy mood” and it about how even when you’re not feeling good, if you just smile at someone, their mood will instantly be lifted. And just because you feel down, doesn’t mean you have to spread that around. It also talks about how important it is to have a positive work environment and how the mood and actually effect the workers’ end product. She is very humorous and I find her articles very amusing and you just can’t help but smile at some of the things she says. I think she is just a great writer.

Article posted February 8, 2009 at 12:56 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 50

Article #1

Toronto Star

Monday, January 19, 2009

World

Plane’s two engines failed at the same time

Karen Matthews

Who: the pilot and co-pilot of flight 1549,

What: The plane flew into birds, reports they were returning to LaGuardia airport, lost both engines at the same time, pilots managed to get everyone out alive

Where: crashed into the Hudson River

When: wreckage was examined on Sunday, January, 18, 2009

Why: the plane few into birds, the birds got caught in the engine, wreckage is being examined to see what caused the plane to crash

How: the birds flew into the engine, both engines failed as a result

Article #2

Toronto Star

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Canada

Two killed in plane crash

Andrew Chung

Who: Ontario pilot Jesse Barrie of Pakenham and his three passengers

What: took off from the Arnprior, Ont., heading for Saint John N.B., stopped to fuel in Quebec Cuty, reported having orientation problems, two passengers survived, Barrie and one other passenger died

Where: crashed near Notre-Dame Auxiliatrice-de-Buckland, 80km southeast of Quebec City

When: left at 1:45am from Arnprior Tuesday, stopped to refuel in Quebec City about 4:30am, radioed to the control centre at 5:00am, plane was spotted after 9:00am

Why: don’t know exactly, but pilot reported having problems with the plane’s orientation, autopsies are scheduled for Wednesday

How: stopped to refuel in Quebec City, shortly after take off, pilot reported having problems, plane has not been examined at this point

Article #3

National Post

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Life

Could you say no to her?

Alison Broverman

Who: “Anne’s” popular daughter Capucine

What: Anne started posting videos of her daughter, Capucine, the most popular video being one of Capucine telling a made-up story, the video captured many people’s harts, especially the one of the organiser of EduRelief, an organisation that promotes children’s literary and education aiming to provide poverty-stricken communities with solutions. Anne has now sold Capucine’s drawings, with quotes from her famous stories, all the money has been donated to EduRelief and Capucine is trying to build a library.

Where: Anne and Capucine live in France, the library Capucine is trying to build is in Mongolia

When: the story-telling blog was posted in November, they have raised close to $1000 since the beginning of December when a blog with Capucine asking for donations to EduRelief

Why: Given Capucine’s penchant for stories, Anne decided that their goal would be to raise enough money to build a library

How: Capucine is obviously very charming and asked people to make donations to EduRelif on one of her very famous blogs

Article #4

The Globe and Mail

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Travel

Carving their own tracks

Louise Hudson

Who: Louise Hudson joined a group of women adventurers in B.C.’s backcountry

What: cat skiing in B.C. with a group of 12 women

Where: Lizard Mountain Range-eastern B.C.

When: Late December 2008

Why: to have fun a be part of a mainly male domain, get over fears of avalanches, get away from the city and have fun in the middle of no where

How: Louise decided to join an all-female GrilSki tour and go on a wild adventure with a bunch of women whose average was 47

Article #5

Globe and Mail

Saturday, February 7, 2009

World

More than 100 fishermen rescued from ice floe

John Seewer

Who: 100 fishermen ice fishing on Lake Erie

Where: Oak Harbor, Ohio on Lake Erie

What: the fishermen used wooden planks as bridges over the thin ice, the ice cracked, the wooden planks fell in and the fisherman were left stranded, rescue boats came and rescued all of them except for one man who fell in while searching for a link to the shore line, taken to the hospital and pronounced dead

When: Saturday, February 7, 2009

Why: the ice cracked because it shifted because of the water currents underneath it

How: the wooden planks were put on the ice so the fisherman could go further out, but whrn the ice shifted, the planks fell in and left the fisherman stranded

Article #6

The Globe and Mail

Saturday, February 7, 2009

National

Victim of second gang shooting in four days may not survive, police say

The Canadian Press

Who: unidentified man, supposedly  an associate of Abbotsford's notorious Bacon brothers, who face gun and drug charges and whom police say have being targeted by rivals

What: a man shot multiple times in his car at as busy shopping mall, second shooting in four days, plus more in recent months

Where: Langley B.C., other shootings have happened in Coquitlam and Surrey

When: Friday, February 6, 2009

Why: the shooter’s motive is not sure, but suspicions are that it could be part of a gang war

How: two gunman fired multiple shots at the man in the car, then fled the scene in a waiting vehicle

The movie” Slumdog Millionaire” is about an 18-year-old boy going from the slums in India to the Indian version of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?”. Police question him after he makes it to the last question because they are suspicious of him cheating. This movie has caused a lot of uproar in India and a lot of great reviews here in North America.

People here in North America are calling it “very moving” ,“one of this year’s best movies.” , “What I feel for this movie isn’t just admiration, its mad love.”,  And “a buoyant hymn to life”. It was nominated for 10 academy awards including best director and best picture.

People in India are not taking it very well at all. There have been many lawsuits against the film exploiting India too much, exaggerating India’s poverty. A lot of people in India see that everyday on the streets and feel they don’t need to be reminded of that when they are trying to relax and watch a movie. One reporter puts it “it’s saturated with the stereotyped images of India”.

I can see both side of the story because for all of us in North America, we really don’t know what life is like in India, so this movie is an amazing success story. But for people in India who feel that this is being exaggerated and taken to an unrealistic note, I see from their point of view too, But in the end I feel more for the people of India because they are the ones who really know what it is like, not us living here in North America.

Sources:

Hi, my name is Claire. I am a grade 8 student at Deer Park P.S. My favourite sports are running, both x-country and track, volleyball, football, basketball and ultimate frisbee. I also like to read and play guitar and piano. I hope you enjoy reading my blog!