Copyright (c) 2014 by sangeun p Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
sangeun p -- Blogmeister

Sangeun's Blog

82

A cozy little stop where, technology in language arts, history and geography, meld together for Room 301 students at Deer Park.

by sangeun p

teacher: Mr. D

1. Toronto: Toronto Reference Library

Book Name: Twilight

Author: Stephanie Meyers

Many young Torontonians enjoy the Twilight series as it leads them to a world with vampires. It talks about a normal teenage girl who's life is changed by a handsome vampire. The book is mysterious, yet filling. Stephanie Meyers (the author of the book) does a wonderful job in keeping the readers focused on the book.

2. New York: Seward Public Library

Book Name: It's Complicated: The American Teenager 

Author: Bowman, Robin

One of New York's best seller book is It's Complicated: The American Teenager. Robin Bowman's five-year journey into the heart of teenage America created a series of 414 "collaborative portraits," wherein she shares her discoveries of a generation now coming of age.

3. Vancouver: Britannia Branch

Book Name: Artemis Fowl

Author: Colfer, Eoin

The Artemis Fowl series are very popular in Vancouver. When a twelve-year-old evil genius tries to restore his family fortune by capturing a fairy and demanding a ransom in gold, the fairies fight back with magic, technology, and a particularly nasty troll.

4. Sydney: Glebe Library

Book Name: A Brief History of Montmaray

Author: Cooper, Michelle

Sophie FitzOsborne lives in a crumbling castle on the tiny island kingdom of Montmaray, along with her tomboy younger sister Henry, her beautiful, intellectual cousin Veronica, and Veronica's father, the completely mad King John. When Sophie receives a leather journal for her sixteenth birthday, she decides to write about her day-to-day life on the island. But it is 1936 and bigger events are on the horizon. Is everything Sophie knows and loves about to change?

5. London: Byron Public Library

Book Name: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Author: J. K. Rowling

Harry Potter learns on his 11th birthday that he is the orphaned son of two powerful wizards and possesses magical powers of his own. At Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry embarks on the adventure of a lifetime. He learns the high-flying sport of Quidditch and plays a thrilling game with living chess pieces on his way to face a Dark Wizard bent on destroying him.

6. Europe: Lester Public Library of Rome

Book Name: A Reliable Wife

Author: Heather Graham

This book simmers with dark, passionate undertones; a masterfully crafted tale of desire and betrayal

7. Asia: Gangnam-gu Library of Seoul

Book Name: Lord of The Rings - The Trilogy

Author: J.R.R. Tolkien

An ancient Ring thought lost for centuries has been found, and through a strange twist in fate has been given to a small Hobbit named Frodo. When Gandalf discovers the Ring is in fact the One Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron, Frodo must make an epic quest to the Cracks of Doom in order to destroy it! However he does not go alone. He is joined by Gandalf, Legolas the elf, Gimli the Dwarf, Aragorn, Boromir and his three Hobbit friends Merry, Pippin and Samwise. Through mountains, snow, darkness, forests, rivers and plains, facing evil and danger at every corner the Fellowship of the Ring must go. Their quest to destroy the One Ring is the only hope for the end of the Dark Lords reign!

8. South America: Mexico Public Library

Book Name: Diary of a Teenage Girl Chloe #3

Author: Melody Carlson

After signing a contract with a major recording company, Chloe, Allie, and Laura set off on tour as the opening act for only the most popular Christian band in the country, Iron Cross.  Allie’s mom and little brother add yet more craziness to life on the road.

Canada has had many disputes with the Aboriginal groups over the past decades. Even today, the natives are experiencing racial segregation and conflicts are arising. The Canadian government and the Aboriginal groups bear different opinions of land rights, and this is causing many misunderstandings.

The three recent crises that occurred between the Aboriginals and the Canadian government were the Oka Crisis, the Ipperwash Crisis, and the Caledonia Crisis. As to their geographic location, they have an alarming similarity. They are all lined up against the United States border. The question is, ‘Are the cousins of the Canadian Aboriginals having an impact to their rebellious behaviour?’

The Oka Crisis occurred in 1990 and lasted 78 days. When the people of Quebec decided to expand a golf course on the Aboriginals’ (Mohawks’) land, there was a protest. A group called the Warriors emerged, intending to use violence if needed to protect their land. At first, the people of Quebec sided with the Aboriginals, reminding the government that the land was the Mohawks’. However, when the Warriors began to act and Quebec was threatened with the possibility of violence, the people of Quebec were quick to change opinions. The crisis ended without the expansion of the golf course, but 3 people had died. The Aboriginals had to experience this in 1990, when Canada was supposedly a country that granted equal rights to all, despite culture or race.

The Ipperwash Crisis occurred in 1995 in southern Ontario. However, the beginning of the crisis goes as far back as the 1940s. During World War II in 1942, the Canadian government wished to buy the Natives’ reserved land for military training. The government offered $15 per acre and a promise to return the land after the war, but the Aboriginals turned the offer down. However, the federal government took the reserve under the War Measures Act and established the Military Camp Ipperwash. On September of 1995, the Aboriginals protested for their land in the Ipperwash Provincial Park. However, the land was not returned to the rightful owner until December 20th of 2007.

The Caledonia Crisis occurred very recently, in 2006. In the small town of Caledonia, a group of Aboriginal protesters kept the townspeople hostage. Those people who dared to speak out against the protesters were threatened to have their homes burned down. The Liberal politicians are not rapidly taking action in fear that they might be seen as ‘racists’. They also do not want violence to occur as it did in the Ipperwash Crisis. Many protesters were arrested during that crisis.

Even to this day, Aboriginals are being mistreated. The Canadian government is not giving the Aboriginal peoples rights to their land and therefore conflicts are arising. The Oka Crisis, the Ipperwash Crisis, and the Caledonia Crisis are occurring because the government is not attentive to the natives’ requests for rights to their land. The three crises occurred in different places. The Oka crises occurred in Quebec, a different province with a different language than Ontario, where the Ipperwash and Caledonia crises occurred. The government back in the time of Canadian Confederation has ignored the Aboriginals and their rights to their land. Due to the government’s ignorance, conflicts have occurred back then. Why are we, as a nation not learning from our faults in the past? Why is the same thing occurring over and over again when all we need to do is correct our mistakes?

The Oka Crisis, the Ipperwash Crisis, and the Caledonia crisis send out the same message. We need to work towards bringing people of different races and culture together. Although by law we receive equal rights, these crises show us that there is still some racial segregation. These conflicts will occur as long as the Canadian government ignores it. We, as a nation need to stop this from happening.

Essay Form (Divided by Paragraphs):

1.Introduction 2.Introduction 3.Oka Crisis 4.Ipperwash Crisis 5.Caledonia Crisis 6. Comparing and Contrasting 7.Conclusion

Bibliography:

"Oka, QC to Caledonia, Haldimand, ON -." Google Maps. 03 May 2009 .

"Caledonia--a Tragedy Waiting to Happen." Canada Free Press - A conservative Free Press, News, Politics, Commentary. 03 May 2009 .

"Ipperwash Crisis -." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 03 May 2009 .

The Oka Crisis occurred in 1990 and changed Quebec's opinion about the Mohawks completely. When the people of Qubec decided to expand a golf course on the land that the Native Indians supposedly "claimed", there was an uproar. 3 people died in that fight and the crisis is still remembered today.

In the beginning of the Oka Crisis, the Mohawks were fighting for their land, but as the crisis continued, the Mohawks started to rebel against the government for their rights. At first, the people of Quebec supported the Mohawks, telling the government that it was the Native Indians' land and the golf course should not be expanded. However, when the first death occurred during the crisis, the people of Quebec were not happy. An SQ officer was shot and this completely changed Quebec's opinion of the crisis. Quebec then started organizing events that rebelled against the Mohawks. One of those several events was a ceremony held by the people of Quebec when a model (a doll) that represented the Mohawks was burned.

During the scene of the burning, I was horrified. I saw the faces of the Quebec people, smiling as if they had accomplished a good deed. This, as the reporter stated, reminded me of the Civil war in America. In the civil war, black people fought for their rights and claimed that people should not be discriminated because of their skin colour or background. The same situation had happened in Canada where people were being treated differently and weren't given the same rights because they were "different". This crisis really showed me that Canada had a number of difficulties along the way to creating a law system that would give equal rights to all people from different cultures and backgrounds.

This blog is around my opinions of conflict diamonds and the world's greatest diamond company, De Beers.

Many people around the world do not know about the conflict diamonds in southern parts of Africa or the world's greatest diamond company. Many people believe diamonds to be rare and a precious stone that is worth what people pay for. People believe in the supposed "wedding tradition" when a man is to spend 3 months salary on the engagement ring. These thoughts show how much North Americans know about diamonds. This essay is dedicated to helping people realize the facts behind some of the diamonds sold in the open market. It is also to let people realize what tactics De Beers use to make consumers believe the scarcity of diamonds.

The term 'conflict diamond' is commonly used for diamonds that were taken from the ground through alluvial mining and by the use of slavery. Many conflict diamonds come from parts of Africa when rebel groups raided villages to kidnap innocent civilians and have them mine for diamonds. These rebel groups profit with the diamonds that they sell and use the profit to buy more weapons and with the weapons, they raid more villages. It is an on going cycle. However, many people in North America do not realize the facts behind these gleaming stones. Millions have died for these stones and it is still happening right now. So, to reduce the amount of conflict diamonds sold in the open market, the Kimberly Process was created. The Kimberly Process in short is a process to certify all conflict-free diamonds so that consumers have a full understanding of where the diamond comes from and how it was mined. However, this process has its faults because people are finding their ways to create fake copies of the Kimberly Process Certificate. The way I like to see it is that it is a step towards completely stopping conflict diamonds being sold in the open market.

Many people believe diamonds are rare. I did too. However, it is not true. It is a misperception created by the world's largest diamond company, De Beers. De Beers practically owns all of the world’s diamond stock and controls the whole diamond process. To make people believe that diamonds are rare, De Beers decided to only let a certain stock of diamonds enter the market each year. This way, by controlling the number of diamonds in the market, they can create people to think that there is only a certain amount of diamonds in stock. The rest of the diamonds are kept in a safe and kept until De Beers decides to let it enter the market. Due to the magnificent power De Beers has over the diamond trade, De Beers is able to buy the diamonds from anyone who wishes to send diamonds into the market. De Beers is so firm on making consumers believe that diamonds are rare because the prices go up. When people believe in the scarcity of diamonds, the prices of diamonds go up and De Beers make more profit.

As you can see now, diamonds are not just some pretty stones that represents wealth, power and celebrity. It is a form of business and people are finding cruel ways to get diamonds. An example would be the diamond mines in Africa. So, when the time comes when you are out there, looking for a diamond, consider this. Think about whether you want a conflict-free diamond, think about whether diamonds are truly meaningful or just some useless stones. That is my message to you.

Chanda's Secrets vs. Blood Diamond

(Compare and Contrast)

Chanda's Secrets and Blood Diamond are both centered around the lives of those living in developing parts of Africa. Chanda's Secrets and Blood Diamond emphasize slightly different issues, but they both reveal the negative effects of globalization. Chanda's Secrets and Blood Diamond dig deeper into how globalization has further increased the gap between the rich and the poor and has created more negative issues than positive.

The main issue that Chanda's Secrets covers is the high rates of AIDs in developing parts of Africa. The main character, Chanda has to go through the numerous deaths of her family members (usually caused by AIDs) . However, Chanda cannot talk about these issues outloud. People around her in the neighbourhood believe that AIDs is a dirty and shameful disease. These steryotypical ideas cause Chanda to be secretive and always keeping her opinions and ideas of AIDs to herself. Not only does Chanda worry about her family's economic situation, but she also worries for her friend, Esther. Esther stands around, waiting for her usual "customers". Chanda knows what Esther does with the tourists who come to her, but cannot stop her. Chanda is always put into situations where she would have to take care of everyone when she is still a teenager herself. Chanda's Secrets helps the readers understand that many children in developing parts of Africa are put into situation as Chanda's.

In the movie, Blood Diamond, another issue that you would see in developing parts of Africa is emphasized. The labour for diamonds. Blood Diamond traces how a diamond from the grounds of Africa come to places such as North America or Europe. It talks of a specific family and how diamonds has effected their lives. Solomon, the main character in the movie has a good relationship with his son. Solomon always tells his son of how he will be a great doctor someday and talks of the great life that they will have in the future. However, everything is ruined when a group of soldiers (a savage group) raids their village. They kill without any exceptions and kill for no reason. Most of these soldiers are not grown men, but child soldiers. These children with guns shoot to kill, and slowly, signs of life begin to fade in the village. Luckily, Solomon's family survive but the family is divided up. Solomon is taken to a mining camp to search for diamonds and his son is taken to join the army to become a child soldier. Solomon's wife and daughters are able to run away and they end up in the second largest camp in Africa. Everything changes when Solomon finds a large, clear diamond. A diamond smuggler, Danny Archer wants the diamond and promises to help Solomon find his son in return. With the involvement of a female reporter, they find Solomon's son.

Chanda's Secrets and Blood Diamond emphasize slightly different issues but they show the same side of globalization. The con side. Both stories take place in developing parts of Africa and they show how the people of the Western society had negative impacts on the lives of the Africans. One of the thing that Chanda's Secrets and Blood Diamond share in common is, they both show how many people died from labour. Chanda's dad and brothers died in a diamond mine when there was a caving accident. They worked but had little income and when they died, the family received little money as a replacement of their loss. The same thing was happening in Blood Diamond. Able men were taken to a mining camp and were forced to work all day and all they got was food. These things are very common in Africa and Chanda's Secrets and Blood Diamond showed that. Another example of the similarity between Chanda's Secrets and Blood Diamond is, the number of prostitutes on the streets. In Chanda's Secrets, Chanda's best friend, Esther was a prostitute. Chanda tried her best to convince Esther out of it, but it didn't work and Esther ended up having AIDs. In the movie Blood Diamonds, there was a scene when prostitutes were trying to convince the diamond smuggler. The sentence that they kept repeating was, "I am AIDs negative" or "I am clear of AIDs". That really showed me how common AIDs was in developing parts of Africa.

However, not only were there similarities between Chanda's Secrets and Blood Diamonds, but they had differences as well. An example would be the difference between Solomon's son and Chanda. Although Chanda is a few years older than Solomon's son, it seems that she had responsibilities that he didn't. Solomon is always looking out for his son and always caring for him. The way I saw it, was that Solomon's son was spoiled. Of course if you compare him to the children in the Western world, he is nothing like a spoiled child, but the children in situations as he was, you would think that he would take more initiative in helping out his parents. I thought the story of Chanda was more realistic because it gives me a better representation of what a life of a child is actually like in developing parts of Africa. Another difference between the two was where the two families ended up. Solomon's family was lucky and with the large diamond, they were able to go to America. However, Chanda's family was not as fortunate. The economic level of Chanda's family did not rise and they were as poor at the end as they were in the beginning of the story. The story did not end as 'happily ever after' but was more realistic. Chanda's mom died of AIDs and so the family had to learn to keep living on without her.

Overall, I thought both stories were wonderfully told and had a great impact on the people who read or watched it. I think they were the light that people needed to realize that these are not mere stories but a representation of what is actually happening in other parts of the world. I think it brought a new light on the people to realize that some of the diamonds in the market are blood diamonds and lives were lost for these shining stones. I think people realized that anywhere in this gigantic world, in any country , in any village, people live on the same thing. Love. I think the people who read Chanda's Secrets, the people who watched Blood Diamond realized that love is really the main thing that keeps everyone going. I think that was the biggest similarity between Chanda's Secrets and Blood Diamond, that both families had people they loved and had people who loved them. I truely believe that without love, the world would not live to be what it is now. I think that was the biggest message that both Chanda's Secrets and Blood Diamond wanted to send out, and the biggest similarity between the two.

Symbolism is a representation of an idea or issue by the use of symbols. These symbols do not have to be an image. In the contrast, the symbols in writing are more often a small passage that represents an issue or idea. Symbolism in writing is indirect so it depends on the readers to figure out what the symbol is representing. Authors use this method of symbolism because it gives their readers some room to think about the issue. There are many examples of symbolism in the book, Chanda’s Secrets.

When authors are writing a story, a book, they want to engage their readers. When readers are engaged in the book, they take more interest in it and this becomes beneficial to the authors. One of the methods is by using symbolism. When an author uses symbolism, it gets the reader to think more about the issue in depth. Also, it is more interesting to have the readers guess rather than just coming out with the point directly.

The first example that I was able to find was on page 7. It said, Esther whispered “The café manager lets me use the leftover time on his Internet coupons because he likes me.” She winked First, we look at what we know. We know that Esther gets paid by the tourists who take pictures with her, but we also know that some of them look up her skirt. Knowing this, when Esther says ‘because he likes me’ we know that she is letting him do something of the sort. In conclusion, Esther is getting leftover time on the Internet by allowing the café manager to do something similar to the tourists who look up her skirt. Esther’s winking was a big hint that led us to this conclusion.

I was able to find another use of symbolism on page 27. On that page, it said, “Don’t be a baby. Lots of men cheat. All over the world.” said Esther. “How would you know?” Chanda asked. Esther got a funny look in her eye. “I just do” Previous to this part of the book, there are several hints as to what Esther does to earn money. This tiny dialogue between Esther and Chanda clears it up even more. We know that Esther gets paid by the tourists who come to town. This means that “men all over the world” are the tourists from all over the world, coming to see Esther. This can mean only one thing. The men (tourists) cheat on their wives with Esther. The part about Esther getting a funny look in her eye helped us further prove what idea the symbol was representing.

The last example that I found in the book was on page 34 and 35. It said, “There is nothing wrong with Esther. Her mama died of TB. They died like they said at the funerals. “Of course they did, and you didn’t hear any different from me. Your auntie just wants to protect you, that’s all.” She winks slyly, “A word to the wise: there’s what people said and there’s what people say.” “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” “Oh yes, you do.” She whispers. This part of the book is showing another use of symbolism. In other words, this is saying that there are rumours of Esther’s parents dying of AIDs. From what the author had told the readers previously in the book, AIDs is a common disease in the area. Also, the author had told us that many people lie about the disease because they are ashamed of it. When Chanda’s “aunt” (Mrs. Tafa) winks slyly and tells Chanda that many people lie, Chanda tries to deny it. However, the author has made it very clear about Mrs. Tafa’s assumption of Esther’s parents having AIDs.

Symbolism comes in different styles, depending on the author. However, the author of Chanda’s Secrets had used the information that the readers already knew about in order to use symbolism. The author had his readers guessing throughout the book and this really got the readers more interested. I thought it was very effective and it really engaged his readers with the story.

Olympic gold medallist Michael Phelps was seen smoking marijuana. His explanation for his inacceptable behaviour was " I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way". However, as a role model to many around the world, he has set a bad example. After I have perused the article about the incident, I came to believe that Phelps is not fully aware of his responsibilites as a gold medallist and a role model to many people, especially the young people. He has argued that he is sorry for his bad judgement and that this will not happen again, but the question is, is Phelps sincere about this or is it just his way of trying to get out of the press' spotlight?

Before this incident, Phelps had been admired and looked up by many fans. However, this incident has definetly brought his popularity rates down and now Phelps is at a stage where another little mistake could ruin his career as an olympic gold medallist. Phleps is still young and it is understandable for him to act youthfully, but when his actions are affecting many fans around the world and swaying other people's previous beliefs of how one should not do drugs, then it is now time for Phelps to make the right decisions and seriously consider what choices he should make in life.

Celebrities, politicians, athletes and other people around the world who have prominence in their society should be aware of their responsibilities because there are people who look up to them. Phelp had made a bad decision when he chose to smoke marijuana but I hope that he has come to understand his role in the society as a gold medallist but also a role model to many and what actions are expected of him. He is still young and many people at that age make similar mistakes but everyone had higher hopes for him. However, let's for now trust Phelps to learn from his mistakes and choose to make better ones in the future.

Article posted February 19, 2009 at 02:23 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 45

Journalist: Sheryl Ubelacker

Newspaper: Toronto Star

This journalist has a specific style of writing like any other writers. She has her own way of organizing her articles that makes it different from anyone else's. Her articles are so personalized that you would be able to tell if an article was Sheryl Ubelacker's without even looking at the name of the journalist who wrote the article.

Her articles are mainly based on health issues that are brought up in the Ontario region. Her articles contain many quotes from people who are familiar with the topic at hand and can guide the readers deeper into the subject. She would briefly explain what the quotes are about and would guide the readers from one quote to the next. So, basically her articles look like this:

Introduction

A few sentences leading to Quote 1

Quote 1

A few sentences leading Quote 1 to Quote 2

Quote 2

...(It would go on)...

Conclusion

Her articles also contain many statistics to prove the quotes written and the facts that she has stated. Another thing about her articles is that they usually revolve around topics that many people can relate to and benefit from.

These are the things that I have gathered about Sheryl Ubelacker's articles. As I have mentioned before, you can right away tell when you see her articles. To test this theory, you can try having someone test you by giving you a few articles (health related) and asking you to choose the article that they feel is Sheryl Ubelacker's.

The Toronto Star

Horoscopes for Wednesday, January 28

By: Phil Booth

Libra (Sept. 23 — Oct. 23)

Your attempt to peer far into the future is undermining your power to do something constructive in the present. Think positively about what's happening today and tomorrow will take care of itself in the best possible way.

It is funny how every horoscope seems to relate to you. However, from my point of view, it is just how people think. How people try to find the similarities between two things. This specific horoscope relates to me because during the past few weeks, I have been really caught up in trying to figure out which high school may be the most beneficial towards my dream as a psychologist. Then I would go on thinking of the universities that I may want to attend and then which city I would want to work in. I was so caught up in trying to figure out my future that I forgot to enjoy the present. This article can mean so many things to so many people, but to me, today, it means that I should enjoy the now, enjoy the present.

Article posted January 30, 2009 at 01:23 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 60

Yes Man is a great movie about a guy who realizes there are things waiting for you out there if you are willing to accept them. The main character is played by Jim Carrey (Carl) and the movie is based on a young man who is divorced, and in order to avoid his ex-wife, he stays locked in his apartement and avoids all social engagements. His life begins to work in a boring circle. He would go to work and then he would come back home and watch DVDs all night long. He was getting used to his new life until his friend decided he needed to live again and took Carl to an inspirational guru, Terrence Bundley. There in public, he promised that he will say yes to every opportunity that presents itself and he will never say no to a request or opportunity. His life suddenly changes because of his new way of living. His friendship with his friends become stronger and his feeling towards himself starts being positive as well. Watch this movie to find out more about how Carl's life has completely turned. It is a movie filled with humour, so I gurantee you that you will enjoy this movie.

I am Sangeun, and I enjoy doing a whole bunch of stuff. I do some sports outside of school, which are swimming, snowboarding, and skiing. I enjoy all three, and I hope to continue doing it. Aside from that, I love reading. I mostly read fiction books(I find them more interesting), and that is pretty much about it. Have fun looking at my blog!