Copyright (c) 2014 by Mrs. Gagnon Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mrs. Gagnon -- Blogmeister

Mrs. Gagnon

by Mrs. Gagnon

Article posted September 23, 2013 at 09:44 PM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 1772

1.  I've had my hair grown out so long that I could easily sit on it.

2.  I love using colored pens to organize my planner.

3.  My favorite snacks include: Milk Duds, Almond Joys, Lime Tootsie Rolls, beef jerky, and diet coke.

4.  I can type over 100 words per minute.

5.  The smallest paper crane I folded started as a 1 inch square and required tweezers to complete.

6.  I can understand languages more than I can speak them.  If I'm on the receiving end of someone speaking Japanese, Hawaiian, or American Sign Language, i can more than likely  tell you what they say than respond back in that language.

7.  I own a passport, but it hasn't been used yet.

Article posted August 29, 2012 at 04:46 PM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 535

1. I love Hawaiian food: poi, lomi lomi salmon, chicken long rice, poke, opihi, squid luau, kalua pig, mac salad, and rice would make up my favorite "plate lunch."

2. I am missing a tooth. When I lost my baby teeth, one permanent tooth didn't emerge and still hasn't. If it did, I probably would have needed braces because my teeth fit perfectly in my mouth without it.

3. I collect pins. Whenever my husband travels for work or we go somewhere new, my trinket is always a pin. I've collected them since I was in the 6th grade.

4. I'm a pen junkie. I love using color in my planner, so I try to buy pen sets that have lots of different colors.

5. I am a casual knitter. I like simple projects because I don't have the time to sit and count/change stitches.

6. Growing up on Molokai, I fished, hunted, dived, surfed, camped on the beach a lot.

7.  I love lime tootsie rolls, Milk Duds, Almond Joy, and Sixlets. 

Article posted September 1, 2011 at 02:34 PM GMT0 • comment (23) • Reads 634

1.  I love Hawaiian food:  poi, lomi lomi salmon, chicken long rice, poke, opihi, squid luau, kalua pig, mac salad, and rice would make up my favorite "plate lunch."

2.  I am missing a tooth.  When I lost my baby teeth, one permanent tooth didn't emerge and still hasn't.  If it did, I probably would have needed braces because my teeth fit perfectly in my mouth without it.

3.  I collect pins.  Whenever my husband travels for work or we go somewhere new, my trinket is always a pin.  I've collected them since I was in the 6th grade.

4.  I'm a pen junkie.  I love using color in my planner, so I try to buy pen sets that have lots of different colors.

5.  I am a casual knitter.  I like simple projects because I don't have the time to sit and count/change stitches.

6.  Growing up on Molokai, I fished, hunted, dived, surfed, camped on the beach a lot.

7.  I have a bad habit of biting my nails, which is why I'm usually with fake nails.

Article posted February 9, 2011 at 05:12 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 174

While I love poetry, I'm not very good at it, but I will tell you what I remember of that day...

I'm "dating" myself here (showing my age), but I remember being in the 3rd grade, in Mrs. Saiki's class, and learning about charcoal art from a teacher (who traveled from class to class) who couldn't see.  Mr. Sakamoto was SO blind that he had to put the paper up to his face to see.  An Art teacher!  Imagine that!  Anyway, I remember  watching it "delayed" because we were in Hawaii and seeing it all unfold.  It was my first "I remember when..." moment because Ellison Onizuka, one of the astronauts on the flight, was from Hawaii.  In days later, I remember we all learned about Mr. Onizuka's passion.  In "those days," momentus occasions were watched live.  I remember Mrs. Saiki not knowing what to say about it...imagine her class' disbelief in seeing their teacher break down in tears.

I was also reminded of it years later, when I was in classes to become a teacher.  My Science Methods teacher was #2 in line and had done all the training in case Christa McAuliffe dfdn't end up going.  Bob Stark , my professor in college, couldn't say enough wonderful things of the lady who paved the way for teachers to bring space science into their classrooms.

Aside from the fact I was feeling under the weather, I had lots of fun doing activities with all of you!  It was so interesting to watch you interact in "Oh Deer!" and how well you listened to your teammates in the egg races.  I bought two containers of eggs and we only lost 2 TOTAL!   That is awesome! 

I've already seen some great teamwork in the activities we've done in Humanities.  Keep it up!  You guys are doing a great job!

Article posted September 7, 2010 at 08:18 PM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 309

One of the funniest and embarassing moments for me happened when I stayed a summer at UNC.  To make a long story short, and to keep the suspense until I tell this in class, I showed my klutz-i-ness.  I fell off the stair climber at the Rec Center...on the top floor...made so much noise everyone stopped...including the entire offensive line of the Denver Broncos...as they were working out downstairs...two of whom remembered who I was a whole year later...fun...

Article posted September 7, 2010 at 08:14 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 47

1.  I love to snack on David's BBQ Sunflower seeds when I read.

2.  I've tried a new dinner recipe each week over the summer.

3.  This is my 15th year in Colorado.

4.  My favorite cool down summer treat is a Cherry Icee float with Lemon Custard.

5.  I love learning new card games.

6.  I've had a People Magazine subscription for 13 years, and the price has gone up almost by 50%.

7.  I hardly ever buy anything if it's not on sale.

Three things I am thankful for?  I have to narrow it down to three? 

1.  I am thankful for my family.  My husband and children make my day to day life exciting and complete.  My parents and extended family are always there if I need them, and some are there when I don't, but I know it's because they care.

2.  I am thankful for my health.  I see the struggles that many of my friends are going through with individual or family health issues, and it makes me thankful that my family doesn't have that extra worry.  I am also thankful that I'm over 4 years of being cancer free with no known effects other than my scar and titanium plates in my head.

3.  I am thankful for my profession.  Each day at school with both students and adults brings new experiences, stories, laughter, and frustrations, but without them, my day would be less colorful. 

Article posted October 5, 2009 at 07:19 PM GMT0 • comment (25) • Reads 222

1.  I'm the same height I was in 6th grade.

2.  I like to surf and boogie board.

3.  The largest fish I caught was 18 pounds and the largest octopus I speared was over 4 ft in length.

4.  I collect rubber stamps, colored pens, and rose quartz pieces.

5.  I learned percentages from my grandma on shopping trips.

6.  I love Milk Duds.

7.  I'm teaching myself to knit and crochet.

What an amazing example of teamwork and trust! I wish I could have been at that presentation! You know, as I read the article, I also thought about today’s discussion on culture and perceptions of American culture.

In Social Studies, we discussed the cultural stereotypes of American culture and part of it is the increasingly rare quality of trust. I think so many of us are at fault in this decrease and are quick to argue other comments or opinions, almost living a self-serving ideal. We’ve come to believe that because what we know of to be true for us, we think it should work for others and anyone who goes against it or our opinion is wrong. We don’t trust that there are experts in different fields, people who have the lifelong experience and who could open our eyes to new avenues and ideas.

It saddens me to see the transformation in the level of trust through a child’s eye. I see my two kids, who trust me and anyone they meet that they will be completely safe and happy and loved. Then as they grow older and experience the world around them, I wonder who and when that all-encompassing trust will no longer be so sincere.

Gene Kranz made history, but he couldn’t have made history without his team, which he readily acknowledged. They trusted his gut feeling 100% and worked with him to bring the team home. If I were working in mission control during that fateful event, I would hope that my reaction would have been the same—100% committed to what I was asked to do. My job would have been skills-specific, and whatever I was told to do or asked to create, I know would have been because people trusted me and was confident in me to carry out or create an order. His team trusted his knowledge, his background, and his compassion for the program. It was a successful effort because the team leader was trusted completely by his group. If there was an ounce of doubt, I don’t think it would have had the same outcome.