teacher: Professor McGonagall

Our Only May Amelia 10/24/09
Hello 08/30/09
My Spring Break 04/15/09
Blogging 02/23/09
Word study story 01/23/09
Poem 01/22/09
The best thing... 01/05/09
Action Replay 12/28/08
map 12/21/08
Christmas present from Pikachu 12/21/08
Christmas 7 years ago- today 12/20/08
Merry Christmas! 12/20/08
Christmas 12/14/08
Sadness 12/13/08
Dialogue 12/09/08
pokepet 12/05/08
Word study story 12/05/08
Babysitter: Kirlia# 6 12/02/08
Tye most delicious thing on MY Thanksgiving table 12/01/08
Polygons 11/22/08
Education! Vegitation! 11/21/08
Babysitter: Kirlia #:5 11/11/08
Babysitter: Kirlia #: 4 11/11/08
Babysitter: Kirlia #: 3 11/11/08
Babysitter: Kirlia #: 2 11/10/08
Questions people ask me about: POKE 11/09/08
Babysitter: Mawile 11/07/08
Pokemon are REAL! 11/07/08
reading Response: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz 11/07/08
Babysitter: Kirlia 11/06/08
Reading Response: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz 11/05/08
Better community 10/30/08
My friend's Alex, Pichu, and Squirtle! 10/30/08
Showdown with Frossglass 10/30/08
My weekend 10/30/08
Which should be my new icon? 10/26/08
Funny Saskue Picture 10/24/08
Naruto V.S Saskue 10/23/08
Waste water treatment plant 10/22/08
Sister Interview 10/19/08
Music to my ears 10/16/08
Commited trainers 10/14/08
Stuff you should know 10/12/08
Pokemon Trick-or-Treat 10/12/08
Pikachu's life and story 10/08/08
Reading Response 10/08/08
My Number Puzzle 10/08/08
My Animal Puzzle 10/07/08
Kisame works at Burger King! n_n 10/05/08
Pokemon Quiz 10/05/08
How Do You Feel Today? 10/04/08
Pokemon wi-fi 09/30/08
My Halloween costume 09/28/08
Castform 09/26/08
Adoption 09/25/08
Dancing Pokemon 09/24/08
Puppies are cute! 09/22/08
People I have stuff in common with 09/22/08
DERAJIMA 09/21/08
Gijinka 09/21/08
Sailormoon 09/21/08
Real life best friends 09/21/08
Things I 09/21/08
pichu v.s picchu 09/20/08
Poke 09/19/08
Random Things 09/19/08
WHO ARE YOU 09/19/08
A little bit about me! 09/16/08
One cool thing about this school year 09/12/08
7 or more random facts 09/10/08
ABOUT mE 09/03/08

Article posted October 23, 2008 at 03:46 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 547

Today we went to the Water Treatment Plant and the Wastewater Treatment Plant.  First, we went to the lake to see what we thought was in our watershed.  After we observed all the items that we saw in the water shed, we went to the Water Treatment Plant.  While we were there, Ms. Drizzle and Sprinkle gave us a tour through the plant.  We saw how the water gets clean and what they use to clean it.  We also went under the plant and saw all the color coated pipes. The light blue pipes were the pipes that carried the water to the Water Treatment Plant.   The black pipe carries the backwash to the Wastewater Treatment Plant where it is cleaned and put in Bellingham Bay.  The dark blue pipes carried the clean water to your home.  Then, we went to the Wastewater Treatment Plant.  It really stunk!  The reason it smelled so bad was because the water that you flush with, the water that you brush with, the water that you wash with all goes to the Wastewater Treatment Plant.  The first thing we did was look at all the stages in the wastewater cycle.  First, we saw what the water looked like when it came from our houses.  Then, we looked at it when they put the water through the bar screen house. (They used a comb instead of a screen when we observed.)  Next, they let if sit.  After a couple hours, there were three layers.  The bottom layer was sludge, the middle layer was waste water, and the top layer was scum.  The items fell heaviest to lightest.  Then they use a scum scraper to scrape off the scum and sludge.  Then, we saw what the water looked like when they let the microorganisms activate.  When they activate they clump together to eat.  When you see what that looks like, it looks like little balls of dirt.  If you let the microorganisms sit, they will fall to the bottom.  Once they fall, a scraper will remove the microorganisms and put them in the incinerator. They water that was left will be put in Bellingham Bay. The incinerator is a place that they burn the scum, sludge at the microorganisms that activated. The incinerator burns at 1500 degrees fareinhight.

Our fieldtrip to the water treatment plant.

My favorite part was when we saw all the bad water drain out of the filter it looked like a flood. I was surprised when I saw how many pipes and filters the water had to go in or through. My least favorite part was the smell of waste at the waste water treatment it smelt horrid I felt like my eyes were going to pop out and my nose was going to fall off, and when we saw the scraper scrape all the waste off the screen. I learned that water goes through a lot of things and there is no new water. It was pretty cool seeing the bacteria up close to 400 times zoomed in that was really cool except knowing that that used to crawl in the water we drink ew. So if you ever want to know where we get new water well we don’t.   

Article posted October 23, 2008 at 01:52 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 124

hi world i am going to tell you about my water field trip.

Te part that suprised me was the fact of how stinky it was at the waste water treatment plant.

The new thing i learned was about the scum scraper and how slippery the scum is .

My fav part was how i got to be a maniger in the modle of the treatmant plant and got to fire Alex cuase he put to much chlorine in the water.  Bye=http://=http://

Greetings my fellow oganisms!I am not a geek though. We went to the water and the waste water treatment plants yesterday.you wont belive how much nasty stuff is in are water! So what i most liked about it is when we got to build are own water treatment plant. My least favorite part is that are bus broke down! I did ask if i could hot-wire it but my teacher was like "NO!" (know affense Ms.Mcgonaggle!) so we had to call another one and play a geme called bob the weasle. What i learned is that we all have bacterriea on and in us and we would not live without it. What was wierd is that at the waste-water plant is that all the other peaple were all like 'ew it smells bad!" and i was like "you guys are babys!" but my nose is dead from livin on a manure covverd ranch so................. Alright thats the end of that BYE!

10-22-08

water system field trip.

I will tell you in this story what I saw during the field trip of the water treatment plant and wastewater treatment plant. It was a sunny day today and my mom came.

The day started learning about the watershed at the treatment plant. We learned many things about lake Whatcom

Our class went to the water treatment plant and the waste water treatment plant. The waste water smelled terrible, as assumed. We learned that the process starts with glaciers and rain water. I found it quite odd that we add chlorine to the water we drink. My question is how many days does it take to complete this process? I learned that we really most conserve our water! I was very surprised that 10,000,000 gallons of water are used in businesses in our city each day, and how many steps of cleaning there are till the water comes to your sink. The worst part was the hideous smell! The best was probably watching the water rise in thein the giant bin at the water treatment plant. I was really shocked that the bus broke down. It was the best bus I had ever seen in my life! It was acually a tourish bus!

Love, Bex

Here this will be you tour of the worst place on earth. Here are the top three things that i hate about the watewater treatment plant. Number one the burner they incenerate the left overs from the prosess and it makes a horride smell. Number two the scraper it is discusting. One the grit remove the worst smell ever.

The place that is't discuston. Here is my favorit parts. One, the pipe room. Two, the model it looks realistic. the part that i did'nt like was the clhorine tank room. That was tour of the water treatment plant.

my favorite part was the furnace burning at 1500 degrees it was really hot in the room i was sweating.

my least faveorite part was the smell it was afwlul  i mean who wants to smell that every day.

the thing that i learned was that  it smealt really bad i never new that it was gonna smell that bad it would make you gag.

but it was pretty awsome so i would give it a 7 out of 10

Article posted October 23, 2008 at 02:53 AM GMT • comment • Reads 109

We went to the Waste Water Treatment Plant. IT STUNK REALLY BADLY! Our guide's were Ms. Drizzle and Sprinkle. We saw what water look's like when it's done going through pipe's. EWWWWW! It was SO gross! We also saw how they made this type of fuel. They BURN waste in a big oven like thing. IT SMELT THE WORST OUT OF THE WHOLE ENTIRE TRIP! We even saw crow's DRINKING the dirty water that wasn't cleaned yet!

For our field trip we went to the wast water treatment plant. The thing that surprised me most was that the people that work there have to burn manure from the toilet pipes.That surprised me because I thought that they did some vu-do magic on it and bing bang boom It was clean water! 

I learned that the slugg goes into a big, big pot, that looks like a fountian,to be stired slowly. I didn't know that slugg had anything to do with the water cycle. The manure there smelled

so bad I could throw up I wonted to! 

guess what the other day our class went on a field trip to the water treatment plant it was really cool & stinky & we go on a really cool bus with tvs & the bus broke down & we got to play games tell the other bus came

Hi peoples! Guess where i have been wesday the 23???????? At a water place! But, i just have to glowt on the bus. A totaly awsome Shuttle bus. With,... a built in bathroom with a window for only for the ones inside, On the second one an arm rest in the middle beacuse they were two person seats, optaioal outder armrests, recliners, tvs, and much much more!!!!!!!!! My clss wodre tye-dye that day.I met Sprinkle and Ms. Drizzle, Not Frizzle. They are related.  Let me say Sprinkle's theme song: I'm Sprinkle, the water drop, i'm always moving, i never stop. (she said where we where going) Our first stop was the lake. We brought our water booklets. We had to draw what we saw.  It was dogs of leash time. I drew dogs. :) There was also a tactor spewing seeds ebvery where. I drew that and the dust storm it was making. I bet i drew for dust than there was. :) I drew a bunch of other things. I drew a blue thing I saw across the lake. But, We used plain old pencils. So it didn't look the same. Then we went to a screen house neer lake Whatcom. I was sad we went past Lafeen's daughtnut shop. :( But i had a good lunch. :) I'm going right to the good part.  THE FILTER GALLERY. AS room of six filters. 2 sides. All the ones on the right off but the top right one. All the ones on the left were on. We watched the left top one, The filter is split in 4 secstions. Bottom left and right, top left and right, and the middle. The water was at the top bar. Then it slowley became less water. It looked like there was that wet cat fodd in it! The same shade of color too! ewe! Then on the top and bottom left, to things that looked liek octopus arms came out and started spining on the bottom. it spun the scum on the top all around. then, I think the spinning stoped, AndRose and rose again to the top bar, it bubbled and made loud noises, Ms. Drizzle counted to three, Then the top and bottom right parts had water flooding our of some holes to the middle! After that, when we we leaving, after the pouring water stoped intop the middle, the arms in the other half started moving! Then we did a game filter thigey, and went to the waste water treatment plant ater lunch. The worst part was every one freaked out of the smell. The smell didn't botehr my nose, but my chest. After i got a wif of the smell, that was bad, then fine! My favourite part was, going to these parts moving the big stuff the toilet paper out of it.  There was a colletion of toys around a pole! Like play dough molds, and Jazmin the disney Princess, and much more. That was my fav part! We also saw a really deep hole that ick water was in! I didn't know how deep it was until I saw an empty one! I htought it was only has deep as the wall on the oit side! Then the bus broke down and we had to wait for another one so we played chain up tag and Bob the wesel.

Your ing tree climbing and swimming freind,

Squirtle

On 10-26-08,  i had an adventure. In a place i went many times, But found new spots there. It was a park. I went there with my sister threw out secret passage. But i can't tell you where it is. TOP SECRET! Any way, my sister brought her beanie baby. It was a duck. It was one of those new beanie baby 2.0s. We have a bunch of those. That was the one she got the day before. We went to the park and where all alone. My sister went straight to playing and i stoped. I remembered my mom had wanted something from the tree. Long story, but i found aa sopt on one of the Oak tress that had some in a low spot. Or the lowest it got. I got a large stick and wacked it a few times. Then i got 2 nice big ones. Then i followed my sister. I also ate bunchs of black berries.So many things had changed there. A tree had fallen at one of the passages. And part of the golf net rope and riped much and was dangling. I took that large stick with me. I went to the passage where the tree had finaly fallen. it had been pretty choped up my beavers and had a beaver not chewy net around it. I passed the tree and hung above the creek. swishing the stick in the lush crystal clear water. It makes my so thirsy right now. And it made such a wonderful sound in the water. Then i let my stick go in the lush water. The end!

Article posted October 23, 2008 at 03:22 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 97

Today at the Water Treatment Plant was full of ooh!s ahh!s And eew!s. We rode a charter bus to the Water Treatment Plant, with a bathroom and all. Miss Drizzle and Sprinkles were our guides. There were also a lot of parents and the teacher. My dad came, and my friend’s mom did too! Well, when we got there we were pretty excited. We walked in and saw everything. This the order in which the water goes through to get cleaned. First, it goes through the wooden intake pipe. (This is made out of cedar, if you wanted to know.) It then travels to the screen house, there it take outs the big things like leaves, sticks and the occasional fish.          

Then, it travels down to a place where they add alum to the water. This makes the dirt in the water stick together because the alum and dirt apparently like each other, they then form clumps which are removed.

It then goes trough a filter with ash on top, then sand, then fine sand, and then finally rocks, which are all layered up and the water runs through this, the ash and sand catching all stuff that was still in the water.

Then the water runs through some pipes. The light blue carry water ready for the last two steps and the dark blue carries water that needs to do the cycle again, but lets just follow the light blue pipe right now.

After that, the water has some chlorine added to it to kill bacteria. But you don’t want your water to taste like chlorine, so they don’t add too much.

Last, but not least, we add some soda ash and voila! You have yourself a bunch of ready-to-drink water!

Well, by that time we were getting kinda hungry, so we ate lunch. Then, it was back on the bus for us.

This time, we were at the Waste Water Treatment Plant, and yes, it smelled!

The first place we stopped was the scraper. It was so gross! The water would run through this gate thing kinda like the one at the screen house one, but it had this thing that would srape everthing off that clung to it. Poo, toilet paper and even a candy wrapper! It was so gross when it was scrapeing stuff! S-S-SCRAPE! Ugh! Well, then the water was at least free of big chunks.

Then it goes to another big room before it goes to the big holding tanks. This is where the water rests, forming three layers, scum on top, waste water in the middle and sludge on the bottom. They scrape off the sludge and scum before the water heads of to a room full of air.

All of that air causes microorganims to form together with all of the dirt, making little clumps, witch will fall to the bottom and when the water enters the next resting tubs.

These resting tubs also have the scum and sludge scrapers, it’s kinda like an extra step, to make sure the water is clean.

It then flows of a mini waterfall,and is brought by pipes to the Bay!

What surprised me was definetly that some microorganisms help clean the water! I mean, don’t we want most creepy crawlies out of our water?

I loved the part where the water went through the air room in the Waste Water Treatment Plant! We got to walk on the roof!

But, I did have a least favorite part, the disgusting scraper. It had chunks of… ugh!

Well, see ya!

-Hedwig

ON THE WATERSHED FILD TRIP WE WENT ON WE GOT TO SEE A LOT OF THINGS. LIKE MY FAVORITE THING WAS WE GOT TO SEE THEM SET POOP ON FIRE. BUT THE WORSED THING IS THE SMELL. THE SMELL WAS SO BAD IT SMELLED LIKE ROTEN EGGS. THE BUS WAS SO COOL BECAUSE THERE WAS A BATHROOM IN IT AND THERE WERE TV'S IN IT. I HAVE TO SAY THAT THE BUS WAS SOOOOOOO COOOOL. WHEN WE WERE GETING ON THE BUS TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL THE BUS BROKE DOWN SO WE GOT TO PLAY GAMES IN A BIG FILD!!! THAT WAS SOOOOO FUN!!! BUT THE SMELL... NOT REALLY

Article posted October 23, 2008 at 12:14 AM GMT • comment • Reads 159

Today we visited the water treatment plant and the waste water treatment plant. One thing I learned is that a topographical map is a detailed and graphic map which represents natural features on the ground.  

I learned that scum is something that is on top of the water and that sludge is very heavy and can sink to the bottom of the basin. I thought it was interesting when the guide explained about the mechanical arm and how it scrapes and removes the scum and sludge. Also fascinating is the fact that the scum and sludge will be burned at 1,500 degrees.  When they do burn the scum and sludge it smells horrible!

The worst part about the field trip was the stench! We were able to experience first hand how it smells when they burn the scum and sludge.   Trust me, it smelled horrible. 

It was a really fun field trip and very educational! 

-Torres9

I think that the water tretment was very fun!Ms.sprinkle and msdrizzle was very. i would mor like it if it was not that stinky!i fell bade for the fourth graders next year.The thing I really liked was the bus it had t.vs in it and  really cionfertable chairs and they evan had a bathroom in it like WOW i wish that was the reguler bus that i ride every day! I also liked when the bus broke down and we got to play those really fun games. The thing that i hated was how we had to go to the wast water tretmant. that place did not smell good. the first time i smelt it my eyes got all watery and i threw up in my mouth! but my favorite favorite favorite part is that we get two jym classes on friday!!!

Article posted October 30, 2008 at 01:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 229

Dear pofessor mcgonagall

I had a wonderful time on the fieldtrip in which I learned so many new things.  In this letter I am going to name a few things that I have learned.

First let me start of by the water treatment plant.  I did not know that there are so many steps they have to take to clean the water.  New words like floc, chemicals, impurities, backwash and filter are just a few of the new words that I have learned.

Then we went to the waste water treatment plant.  I never thought that I will go to a place like this in my life and to find it interesting as well.  They need to remove harmful solids from the water and then put the water thru several treatments before it is discharged into the Bay.  I don’t mind learning of all the processes but one thing I disliked the most is smell.

Learning things on a field trip are always fun but a day out on a field trip is not complete without a delicious lunch.

secerely,

brian

Article posted October 29, 2008 at 06:00 AM GMT • comment • Reads 90

The first experience of being a water drop. Seeing how water comes in your house and out.It starts out with the ice and snow melting from the glacier up on Mt. It flows throu the River to the Diversion Dam. Then flows into a long pipe line to Lake. After sedimintaion it flows into Creek.Witch then it goes into Lake. After that the water gets sucked into the Intake Pipe in basin two. Back then the Inthake Pipe was in basin one but with to much pollution, loss of water and seuage it was moved to basin two.Now back to work. As the water is moving in the pipe it goes to the GreenHouse. Then it goes to the WaserTreatment Plant to make the water safe to drink. This proses starts with geting all of the big stuff out of the water. But there is little dirt particles still in the water. We need to get the dirt outof the water so we can drink it. So they put two different kind of cemicles. So the cemicles get the dirt out. Now the water is safe to drink.

Part two Waste

So you know that you got fresh, clean water. So how does the waste get clean? Here's how they do it. After you use the water you got it goes thru a long pipe to the WasteWater TretmentPlant. Now the real proses begins. They start with geting all of the big stuff out. Then they get the little stuff out. Then they clean it alot. Then more and more.

i did not go to the water shed field trip.

Today my class and I went to the Water Teatment Plant on a field trip. What surprised me so much was that I saw the guy from the movie, how bad the place smelled and how much water they had a dog park. Something that I learned was that they had 6 huge squares that they put water in. My favorite part was when I saw the duck from the movie and when Ronaldinho and I kicked Shadowking and Max's seats on the bus. I hope you read my blog.

On October 22, 2008 me and my class went to go to the water treatment plant. On the way there we were on a airport shuttle. The thing that suprised me was the things that harms all the watershed: animal poop, moters, oils, gas spills, litter ,ect. My new learing is how to take care of my watershed. My favorite prat was when we got to go on the buses and sing, and play the the games at the end of the day, and got to go to the water treatment plant and got to see how the water gets clean. My last favoite part was I got to see Drizzle and sprinkle. The worst part was we had to smell a gross smell    . i also liked it when we got to see people poop on fire. We also got to know what different color pipes carry different things. For example, the dark blue means that it has the clean water, the light blue carries almost clean water, the biege color means the water in it is dirty.

Water comes from rain and snow. After it rains or snowes the water goes down a river or stream it goes to a watershed. There are 3 basins. The first watershed out of 3 was polluted so we could not get drinking water fron it any more which left us with 2 basins. They put a dam in front of basin one so it wouldn't pollute 2 or 3. Then they built a wooden pipe in basin two. Today we have filter plants where we filter our water so we can reuse it. Step one it goes through the screen house where the take out all the big stuff. Step two is where they take out all the smaller stuff. Step three is where they clean the dirty water in the first cleaning house. Step 4 is where they they primary cleaner. Step 5 is where they go through the chlorine baths and off to the bay.

ps They polluted one was basin one.

pss I can't wait until the next field trip.

By Luke

(Spelling and typing by Prof. McG)

Hi my name is Shadowking I am going to tell you about our field trip was at the Water Treatment plant it smelled very bad I was about to thorow up.we got to go on a charder bus that had tv's inside.And the seats recline back but Roberto and Ronaldinho kicked my seat but i did no care.But that bus broke down so we got to play games at the waste Water Treatment plant.