Copyright (c) 2014 by Katherine Larison Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Katherine Larison -- Blogmeister

Captain Larison's Blog

Missouri Military Academy

My classroom is the library.

by Katherine Larison

Coehlo's official site
Ishmael Beah
Sherman Alexie
Chief Joseph
M. T. Anderson
Paolini
Elizabeth Knox
Geraldine McCaughrean
Jay Asher
Danger's Hour
Neal Shusterman
Walter Dean Myers
Kristin Cashore
Jo Graham
Roland Smith
Siobhan Dowd
Neil Gaiman
Patrick Rothfuss
Suzanne Collins
Sally Gardner
Lois Lowry
Chaim Potok
Darren Shan
Cinda Williams Chima
Brian Katcher
Stephen Ambrose
Michael Grant
Patrick Ness
Nancy Farmer
N. K. Jemisin
Jeff Stone
J. K. Rowling
Paolo Bacigalupi
Emma Clayton
Jennifer Brown
K. L Going
Matt de la Pena
Richard Preston
Scott Westerfeld
David Benioff
Ron Kovic
Lisa McMann
George Martin
I Am Number Four
Tamora Pierce
Andrew Scott Card
Matthew Brzezinski
Marie Lu
Veronica Roth
Elspeth Cooper
Melba Pattillo Beals
Wendelin Van Draanen
Alan Averill
Jerry McGill
Daniel H. Wilson
John Green
Christina Baker Kline

Article posted January 29, 2013 at 08:43 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 38

One of the cadets asked me about the Bluford Series of books.  I finally bought one, The Fallen by Paul Langan.  Martin Luna’s brother has been accidentally shot and killed.  The bullet was meant for his gang leader.  “And bullets don’t have names.  They cut down anyone.  Everyone.  Even eight-year-olds who are in the wrong place at the wrong time.”  This story was very touching as Martin conquers his anger and finally does the right thing for himself and his mother.

Article posted December 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 38

I have a fascination with the Holocaust dating back to high school when my Avon lady came to the house. My Avon lady, Hilda, had a number tattooed on her arm and I asked her about it. She told me the Germans had tattooed her arm during World War II.

Brzezinski’s book is really excellent and well researched.  He explains the different factions of Jews in Poland and why it was so hard for them to unite against the Germans in Warsaw.

Article posted November 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 38

I consider Ender’s Game a science fiction classic.  Card wrote, “Battle School is for training future starship captains and commodores of flotillas and admirals of the fleet.”  Andrew Scott Card created a military school of the future and the cadets love reading this book.  The battleroom scenes in null gravity are my favorite part of the book.

Article posted October 31, 2012 at 11:41 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 37

Tamora Pierce’s series about Beka Cooper is a fantasy mystery. The first book, Terrier, is excellent. This book is also a coming of age story as Beka deals with her family and her job. I really enjoyed reading my first book about the fantasy realm of Tortall!

Article posted September 21, 2012 at 09:23 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 39

Whoa, hold onto your seat!  This is one action packed book!  Pittacus Lore has written great science fiction.  My favorite character is Bernie Kosar, the dog, who is not what he seems.  I cannot wait to rent the movie and then read the other two books in the series.  The series title is “The Lorien Legacies.”

Article posted August 31, 2012 at 04:24 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 56

George Martin’s series is incredibly bloody and incredibly good.  This is a soap opera on a very grand scale.  Knights, queens, wizards, kings, and dragons all play a part.  Daenerys Targaryen is my favorite character of the series.  I have all five books in the series, “A Song of Ice and Fire.”  The cadets really like this series.

Article posted May 1, 2012 at 07:48 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 35

The final book in the Wake trilogy, Gone, was very dark but had a great ending. Morton’s fork is a recurring theme in Lisa McMann’s book. Morton’s fork is defined as “A situation involving choice between two equally undesirable outcomes.” (Wordsmith.org) The heroine, Janie, must choose between two bad outcomes. What a dilemma she has!

Janie meets her father who is also a dream catcher. He is in a coma getting ready to die when Janie finally meets him. Janie comes to terms with her alcoholic mother, the father she never knew, and her love for Cabel. The conclusion was very satisfying.

Article posted April 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 36

Ron Kovic’s book left me feeling horrified. The treatment of Vietnam veterans by medical personnel and the general public was shameful. I followed Kovic on his journey from patriotic American for the Vietnam War to patriotic American against the Vietnam War, and all war. Kovic explains the battle in which he was wounded at the very end of the book.

Article posted February 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 35

102 Minutes tells a riveting tale of “the unforgettable story of the fight to survive inside the twin towers.”  I watched a lot of the specials on TV for the tenth anniversary and was familiar with some of the survival stories.  The most fascinating part of the book was the 1968 fire code which reduced the number of stairwells required in tall buildings. (Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn page 109)

Article posted January 5, 2012 at 07:21 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 38

This is a very Russian book. Benioff’s telling of the siege of Leningrad in World War II is both hilarious and chilling. Lev Beniov is the story’s hero. He is thrown in jail and then sent on a quest to find a dozen eggs. I really felt like I was there during the siege, battling the Nazis. This was historical fiction at its best.

Previous Entries All Entries       All Titles Next Entries

High School
Middle School

I am the Library Media Specialist for a private boarding school in Mexico, Missouri.