Copyright (c) 2014 by Katherine Larison Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Katherine Larison -- Blogmeister

Captain Larison's Blog

Missouri Military Academy

My classroom is the library.

by Katherine Larison

Coehlo's official site
Ishmael Beah
Sherman Alexie
Chief Joseph
M. T. Anderson
Paolini
Elizabeth Knox
Geraldine McCaughrean
Jay Asher
Danger's Hour
Neal Shusterman
Walter Dean Myers
Kristin Cashore
Jo Graham
Roland Smith
Siobhan Dowd
Neil Gaiman
Patrick Rothfuss
Suzanne Collins
Sally Gardner
Lois Lowry
Chaim Potok
Darren Shan
Cinda Williams Chima
Brian Katcher
Stephen Ambrose
Michael Grant
Patrick Ness
Nancy Farmer
N. K. Jemisin
Jeff Stone
J. K. Rowling
Paolo Bacigalupi
Emma Clayton
Jennifer Brown
K. L Going
Matt de la Pena
Richard Preston
Scott Westerfeld
David Benioff
Ron Kovic
Lisa McMann
George Martin
I Am Number Four
Tamora Pierce
Andrew Scott Card
Matthew Brzezinski
Marie Lu
Veronica Roth
Elspeth Cooper
Melba Pattillo Beals
Wendelin Van Draanen
Alan Averill
Jerry McGill
Daniel H. Wilson
John Green
Christina Baker Kline
Laini Taylor
Deb Taber
Brandon Sanderson
Richard Paul Evans

Article posted July 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 244

Wendelin Van Draanen has written the touching story of sixteen-year-old Jessica.  Jessica loses her leg in a school bus accident and has to learn to walk again and to run again.  Her running leg costs $20,000!!  Jessica was not just a track star she LOVED to run, especially with her dog, Sherlock.

I broke my leg in 2007 and had to learn the “sit-and-scoot method.”  Jessica takes her first shower after the accident and explains how she gets up the stairs, “my little sit-and-scoot method will be even easier going downstairs than it was coming up…”

Article posted June 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 203

Melba Pattillo Beals tells the true story of her experience at Little Rock’s Central High when it was first integrated in 1957.  This book was a real eye-opener because I had never realized that the African American students were constantly hazed.  The “Little Rock Nine” were physically tormented and verbally abused.  Their families were also threatened. 

Beal writes “Our people continued to lose their jobs, their businesses, and their homes as pressure was exerted to convince them to talk us into voluntarily withdrawing from Central High.”

Article posted May 6, 2013 at 02:20 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 164

This book is a combination of knights and magic.  Elspeth Cooper has written a swashbuckling tale with Gair as the protagonist.  Gair can fight with his sword or his magic.  He is also a shape shifter.

Magic in this land comes as “the music of power.”  This is the first in a series called “The Wild Hunt.”  In the second book more characters are introduced.

Veronica Roth’s book takes place in a futuristic dystopian society.  When Beatrice Prior turns sixteen she has to choose one of the five predetermined factions.  She discovers she is not entirely one faction but is drawn to several.  Tris (Beatrice) discovers that there is great unrest and danger as she trains to be part of the Dauntless faction.  There are some great actions scenes that make this book very exciting to read.

One of the quotations that inspired Roth’s character Tris is written by Agamemnon, “My will is mine…..I shall not make it soft for you.”

Marie Lu has written a fast-paced science fiction thriller.  Day is a criminal and June is out to catch him.  The two teenagers are from opposite ends of the social spectrum.  Day is poor and June is rich.  June believes that Day is responsible for her brother’s death.  Day is a “Robin Hood” character and believes the government is not what it seems.  The second book in the series, Prodigy,  is also very popular with the cadets.

I finally bought one, The Fallen by Paul Langan.  Martin Luna’s brother has been accidentally shot and killed.  The bullet was meant for his gang leader.  “And bullets don’t have names.  They cut down anyone.  Everyone.  Even eight-year-olds who are in the wrong place at the wrong time.”  This story was very touching as Martin conquers his anger and finally does the right thing for himself and his mother.

Article posted January 29, 2013 at 08:43 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 121

Article posted December 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 130

I have a fascination with the Holocaust dating back to high school when my Avon lady came to the house. My Avon lady, Hilda, had a number tattooed on her arm and I asked her about it. She told me the Germans had tattooed her arm during World War II.

Brzezinski’s book is really excellent and well researched.  He explains the different factions of Jews in Poland and why it was so hard for them to unite against the Germans in Warsaw.

Article posted November 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 144

I consider Ender’s Game a science fiction classic.  Card wrote, “Battle School is for training future starship captains and commodores of flotillas and admirals of the fleet.”  Andrew Scott Card created a military school of the future and the cadets love reading this book.  The battleroom scenes in null gravity are my favorite part of the book.

Article posted October 31, 2012 at 11:41 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 124

Tamora Pierce’s series about Beka Cooper is a fantasy mystery. The first book, Terrier, is excellent. This book is also a coming of age story as Beka deals with her family and her job. I really enjoyed reading my first book about the fantasy realm of Tortall!

Article posted September 21, 2012 at 09:23 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 112

Whoa, hold onto your seat!  This is one action packed book!  Pittacus Lore has written great science fiction.  My favorite character is Bernie Kosar, the dog, who is not what he seems.  I cannot wait to rent the movie and then read the other two books in the series.  The series title is “The Lorien Legacies.”

Previous Entries All Entries       All Titles Next Entries

High School
Middle School

I am the Library Media Specialist for a private boarding school in Mexico, Missouri.