Copyright (c) 2014 by Katherine Larison Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Katherine Larison -- Blogmeister

Captain Larison's Blog

Missouri Military Academy

My classroom is the library.

by Katherine Larison

Coehlo's official site
Ishmael Beah
Sherman Alexie
Chief Joseph
M. T. Anderson
Paolini
Elizabeth Knox
Geraldine McCaughrean
Jay Asher
Danger's Hour
Neal Shusterman
Walter Dean Myers
Kristin Cashore
Jo Graham
Roland Smith
Siobhan Dowd
Neil Gaiman
Patrick Rothfuss
Suzanne Collins
Sally Gardner
Lois Lowry
Chaim Potok
Darren Shan
Cinda Williams Chima
Brian Katcher
Stephen Ambrose
Michael Grant
Patrick Ness
Nancy Farmer
N. K. Jemisin
Jeff Stone
J. K. Rowling
Paolo Bacigalupi
Emma Clayton
Jennifer Brown
K. L Going
Matt de la Pena
Richard Preston
Scott Westerfeld
David Benioff
Ron Kovic
Lisa McMann
George Martin
I Am Number Four
Tamora Pierce
Andrew Scott Card
Matthew Brzezinski
Marie Lu
Veronica Roth
Elspeth Cooper
Melba Pattillo Beals
Wendelin Van Draanen
Alan Averill
Jerry McGill
Daniel H. Wilson
John Green
Christina Baker Kline
Laini Taylor
Deb Taber

Article posted July 8, 2014 at 02:13 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 97

Jin is a spreader in this futuristic society. Jin is a neut, short for gender neutral, neither man nor woman. Jin is a spreader of plagues designed to control the population. Jin calls itself “it.” The other main character is Sandy, a female nearly raped, but saved by a neut. Deb Taber shows us a society which is outgrowing its resources and the neuts are trying to save the entire human race. Jin is extraordinarily good at designing very specific plagues. One plague is delivered via music to target specific malignant emotions such as murderous hatred. Taber forced me to think about sexuality in a totally new way.

Article posted April 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 470

Laini Taylor has written an amazing book. The forces of angels and chimaera clash in this incredible story. Karou and Akiva, a seraphim, are the main characters in this fantasy. Karou is raised by the chimaera and Brimstone is her foster father. Brimstone says, “Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” Karou’s name means “hope.” There are two earths in this book; the one with seraphim which has magic and two moons and the one where humans live.

This is the first book of a trilogy and I cannot wait to see what happens next.

Article posted March 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 269

Jerry McGill has written an inspiring memoir. Jerry was shot in the back at the age of 13 and became a quadriplegic. Jerry wrote the book as “a letter to the man who shot me.” Jerry’s doctor explains “that I was a quadriplegic and Leslie was a paraplegic. For the first time he also explained to me in detail how the bullet was still sitting in my neck and always would remain so. Because it had lodged so close to my spine it would have been dangerous to remove it, so they just let it stay there.” Jerry would be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

I cried and laughed as I read McGill’s book. He explains how he gains control of his bodily functions, including sex. He has a BA in English literature and MFA in education from Pacific University in Oregon.

Article posted March 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 90

Robots try to take over the world!  “The Awakening affected only human-shaped robots, such as domestics, safety and pacification units, and related models- a tiny percentage of Archos’s overall force.  But with Mikiko’s song began the age of freeborn robots.”  Archos is the artificial intelligence running the war to kill humans.  The freeborn robots start helping the humans.  The battle scenes that Wilson wrote are very realistic and bloody.

Daniel Wilson has a Ph.D. in robotics and the battle scenes are more than believable.  Wilson wrote the book as a flash-back after Cormac “Bright Boy” Wallace finds a data cube.

Article posted January 27, 2014 at 09:42 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 93

Did you know that the orphan trains sent approximately “two hundred thousand children from the East Coast to the Midwest between 1854 and 1929?”  Christina Baker Kline has written a touching novel of two orphaned teenagers; Vivian Daly and Molly Ayer.  Vivian’s story takes place in 1929 and Molly’s in 2011.

Vivian is from Ireland and her Irish name is Naimh, pronounced “Neev.”  Her family dies in a fire in New York City and her mother is placed in an insane asylum.  As an orphan she is forced to change her name.  She is placed with two families before finding a home with her third family.  She suffers abuse, attempted rape, and starvation.  Vivian tells her story to seventeen year old Molly, an orphaned Penobscot Indian.  The two stories are interwoven as Vivian now in her eighties recalls her past.  Molly discovers that she and Vivian have a lot in common.

Article posted November 12, 2013 at 09:39 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 117

John Green made me laugh and cry when I read this book.  The two main characters are teenagers with cancer, Gus and Hazel.  This is how Gus describes cigarettes, “They don’t kill you unless you light them.  And I’ve never lit one.   It’s a metaphor, see:  You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don’t give it the power to do its killing.” 

Hazel reads a lot of books and her favorite book is An Imperial Affliction.  Gus uses his wish to take Hazel to visit the author of her favorite book in Amsterdam.   This is an enlightening book about dying and living as a teenager.

Article posted August 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 125

The Beautiful Land

Alan Averill has written a CREEPY, horrific, time-travel story.  Takahiro O’Leary is the protagonist with Samira Moheb as the “woman he has loved since high school.”  Samira is suffering from severe PTSD from the Iraq War.  Tak is a time traveling scout for the Axon Corporation.  Axon is run by a crazy, mad scientist out to destroy the world.  Did I mention it is also funny?  Tak tells Sam “ninety percent of time travel is running like hell….I should have mentioned that.”

I could not put this book down.  The story line is very unique and kept me on edge until the end!

Article posted July 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 117

Wendelin Van Draanen has written the touching story of sixteen-year-old Jessica.  Jessica loses her leg in a school bus accident and has to learn to walk again and to run again.  Her running leg costs $20,000!!  Jessica was not just a track star she LOVED to run, especially with her dog, Sherlock.

I broke my leg in 2007 and had to learn the “sit-and-scoot method.”  Jessica takes her first shower after the accident and explains how she gets up the stairs, “my little sit-and-scoot method will be even easier going downstairs than it was coming up…”

Article posted June 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 100

Melba Pattillo Beals tells the true story of her experience at Little Rock’s Central High when it was first integrated in 1957.  This book was a real eye-opener because I had never realized that the African American students were constantly hazed.  The “Little Rock Nine” were physically tormented and verbally abused.  Their families were also threatened. 

Beal writes “Our people continued to lose their jobs, their businesses, and their homes as pressure was exerted to convince them to talk us into voluntarily withdrawing from Central High.”

Article posted May 6, 2013 at 02:20 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 91

This book is a combination of knights and magic.  Elspeth Cooper has written a swashbuckling tale with Gair as the protagonist.  Gair can fight with his sword or his magic.  He is also a shape shifter.

Magic in this land comes as “the music of power.”  This is the first in a series called “The Wild Hunt.”  In the second book more characters are introduced.

Veronica Roth’s book takes place in a futuristic dystopian society.  When Beatrice Prior turns sixteen she has to choose one of the five predetermined factions.  She discovers she is not entirely one faction but is drawn to several.  Tris (Beatrice) discovers that there is great unrest and danger as she trains to be part of the Dauntless faction.  There are some great actions scenes that make this book very exciting to read.

One of the quotations that inspired Roth’s character Tris is written by Agamemnon, “My will is mine…..I shall not make it soft for you.”

Marie Lu has written a fast-paced science fiction thriller.  Day is a criminal and June is out to catch him.  The two teenagers are from opposite ends of the social spectrum.  Day is poor and June is rich.  June believes that Day is responsible for her brother’s death.  Day is a “Robin Hood” character and believes the government is not what it seems.  The second book in the series, Prodigy,  is also very popular with the cadets.

I finally bought one, The Fallen by Paul Langan.  Martin Luna’s brother has been accidentally shot and killed.  The bullet was meant for his gang leader.  “And bullets don’t have names.  They cut down anyone.  Everyone.  Even eight-year-olds who are in the wrong place at the wrong time.”  This story was very touching as Martin conquers his anger and finally does the right thing for himself and his mother.

Article posted January 29, 2013 at 08:43 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 68

Article posted December 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 73

I have a fascination with the Holocaust dating back to high school when my Avon lady came to the house. My Avon lady, Hilda, had a number tattooed on her arm and I asked her about it. She told me the Germans had tattooed her arm during World War II.

Brzezinski’s book is really excellent and well researched.  He explains the different factions of Jews in Poland and why it was so hard for them to unite against the Germans in Warsaw.

Article posted November 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 74

I consider Ender’s Game a science fiction classic.  Card wrote, “Battle School is for training future starship captains and commodores of flotillas and admirals of the fleet.”  Andrew Scott Card created a military school of the future and the cadets love reading this book.  The battleroom scenes in null gravity are my favorite part of the book.

Article posted October 31, 2012 at 11:41 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 71

Tamora Pierce’s series about Beka Cooper is a fantasy mystery. The first book, Terrier, is excellent. This book is also a coming of age story as Beka deals with her family and her job. I really enjoyed reading my first book about the fantasy realm of Tortall!

Article posted September 21, 2012 at 09:23 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 67

Whoa, hold onto your seat!  This is one action packed book!  Pittacus Lore has written great science fiction.  My favorite character is Bernie Kosar, the dog, who is not what he seems.  I cannot wait to rent the movie and then read the other two books in the series.  The series title is “The Lorien Legacies.”

Article posted August 31, 2012 at 04:24 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 189

George Martin’s series is incredibly bloody and incredibly good.  This is a soap opera on a very grand scale.  Knights, queens, wizards, kings, and dragons all play a part.  Daenerys Targaryen is my favorite character of the series.  I have all five books in the series, “A Song of Ice and Fire.”  The cadets really like this series.

Article posted May 1, 2012 at 07:48 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 72

The final book in the Wake trilogy, Gone, was very dark but had a great ending. Morton’s fork is a recurring theme in Lisa McMann’s book. Morton’s fork is defined as “A situation involving choice between two equally undesirable outcomes.” (Wordsmith.org) The heroine, Janie, must choose between two bad outcomes. What a dilemma she has!

Janie meets her father who is also a dream catcher. He is in a coma getting ready to die when Janie finally meets him. Janie comes to terms with her alcoholic mother, the father she never knew, and her love for Cabel. The conclusion was very satisfying.

Article posted April 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 63

Ron Kovic’s book left me feeling horrified. The treatment of Vietnam veterans by medical personnel and the general public was shameful. I followed Kovic on his journey from patriotic American for the Vietnam War to patriotic American against the Vietnam War, and all war. Kovic explains the battle in which he was wounded at the very end of the book.

Article posted February 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 52

102 Minutes tells a riveting tale of “the unforgettable story of the fight to survive inside the twin towers.”  I watched a lot of the specials on TV for the tenth anniversary and was familiar with some of the survival stories.  The most fascinating part of the book was the 1968 fire code which reduced the number of stairwells required in tall buildings. (Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn page 109)

Article posted January 5, 2012 at 07:21 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 62

This is a very Russian book. Benioff’s telling of the siege of Leningrad in World War II is both hilarious and chilling. Lev Beniov is the story’s hero. He is thrown in jail and then sent on a quest to find a dozen eggs. I really felt like I was there during the siege, battling the Nazis. This was historical fiction at its best.

Article posted December 18, 2011 at 02:55 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 76

Steve Jobs’ biography by Walter Isaacson is powerful. I have bought as many Apple products as Microsoft products. The first computer I bought was an Apple IIe and then a Macintosh. It was fascinating to read about the development of the Apple machines and operating systems and Jobs’ devotion to “make great products.” Currently I own an iPod and an iPhone. I really enjoy using both of them because they are user friendly. Jobs was both an entrepreneur and an artist. Jobs wrote, “People don’t know what they want until you show it to them.” Jobs was incredible at showing us the good stuff!

Article posted October 31, 2011 at 01:48 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 113

Leviathan takes place in an alternate world at the start of World War I. Darwinists are able to create a huge airship which is really an ecosystem, a “fabricated beastie.” Opposing the Darwinists are the Clankers who have incredible mechanical walking machines. The two main characters are fifteen year old Deryn and Alek.  Deryn is disguised as a boy so that she can volunteer for the British Navy as an airman. Alek is an Austrian prince trained in war. Alek and Deryn become allies.

Keith Thompson is the illustrator and his drawings add to the realism. The genetically engineered animals would be hard to comprehend without his drawings.

Westerfeld has written some masterful fight scenes for both Alek and Deryn.

Article posted September 26, 2011 at 01:57 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 66

This book gave me the creeps, but I loved it. This modern medical mystery by Richard Preston made me realize how we are connected to other primates. Through sheer luck an extremely contagious virus from Central Africa was contained in a Washington, D.C. primate lab. We may not be so lucky next time.

Article posted August 5, 2011 at 01:37 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 114

Miguel gets sent to Juvi for one year. He ends up in a group home and decides to run away with two other teenagers. His journey ends up being a healing process. He starts reading books in the group home and he takes some books with him when the three escape. (I love it when the hero reads a lot!)

The judge has instructed him to write in a journal and Miguel enjoys the experience of writing. The novel is written as Miguel’s diary. As the three boys make their way down the California coast each one comes to terms with his problems. Matt de la Pena's book is heart wrenching as the boys’ crimes  are revealed.

Article posted June 4, 2011 at 04:30 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 68

This is a funny coming-of-age novel.  Liam is seventeen and his father throws him out of the house.  It seems Liam can do nothing right. He goes to live with his gay uncle to finish high school. There are some unresolved issues in Liam’s life. Should he be true to himself or continue trying to please his father?

Kelly Going has written an insightful, hilarious novel about the complex relationship between a teen and his father.

Article posted April 2, 2011 at 08:47 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 102

This novel tells the story of a school shooting and its aftermath. Valerie’s boyfriend Nick shoots students at the end of his junior year. Valerie believed her “hate list” was an imaginary list, not a list Nick would take action on. Valerie goes through therapy and through flashbacks we see the Nick that she loved. Jennifer Brown’s book makes me cry and see how harmful bullying can be.

Article posted March 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 67

Emma Clayton has written a science fiction thriller! Mika lives in a future London where there are no animals because of the Animal Plague. Mika’s twin sister is kidnapped and the story follows his quest to find her when everyone else thinks she is dead. The Secret is revealed at the end of the book which makes the reader demand a sequel. One of my cadets read this and begged me to purchase the series. The Roar and The Whisper make up this series.

Article posted February 13, 2011 at 07:20 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 75

Paolo Bacigalupi has written an exciting science fiction adventure. Fifteen-year-old Nailer scavenges for copper wire in an abandoned oil tanker. He has an abusive, drug addicted father. He nearly dies in the opening scene of the book. The plot revolves around his rescue of Lucky Girl.

I enjoyed the fast pace of this novel and the setting. The Gulf Coast in the future has killer hurricanes and drowned cities.

Article posted December 6, 2010 at 10:11 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 95

J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series have become classics, books of enduring value. I am reading “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” and I am waiting to see what Voldemort is going to do next.

Harry Potter is the quintessential protagonist; an orphan, a wizard, and a teenager. I cannot wait to finish reading the series. I will be watching the newest movie over Christmas break.

Article posted December 6, 2010 at 09:27 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 70

Article posted October 11, 2010 at 10:24 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 118

Cormac O’Brien wrote about the battle of Salamis. “Greek independence had been saved. Though Greek culture would have survived under Persian rule, the course of Western history would undoubtedly have been very different.” O’Brien makes these battles come alive.

Article posted September 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 64

Kung fu fighting reigns in this book! Jeff Stone’s writing is fast-paced and filled with martial arts. Fu is a twelve-year-old monk who also has some traits of the tiger. “Tiger” is the first book in the Five Ancestors series.

Fu and his four brothers are the only survivors of a surprise attack against the Cangzhen temple. The setting is 14th century China. Ying, a former Cangzhen temple student, is the villain who led the attack. Fu and his four brothers “must find a noble way to change Ying.”

Article posted July 29, 2010 at 10:27 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 62

Really COOL read!! N. K Jemisin’s “The Hundred Thousand Kindgoms” is the first book of her trilogy.

In Book One of the Inheritance Trilogy Yeine Darr is the female protagonist. Yeine’s mother has been murdered and then she is named an heiress to the king. Yeine battles with her cousins and the gods to a satisfying and surprising conclusion. I am really looking forward to Jemisin’s next book.

Article posted July 10, 2010 at 11:52 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 59

This “coming-of-age” novel by Nancy Farmer is compelling. Matt is a clone and therefore ostracized by most of the people on the Alacran Estate. Matt grows up in a futuristic society in a country called Opium. Opium is between the United States and the former country of Mexico, now called Aztlan.

Matt battles prejudice and cruelty as the book follows his life from birth to the age of 14. Matt’s DNA is from a drug lord who has made many bad decisions. Matt is also presented with decisions between good and evil.

Article posted June 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 67

“The Knife of Never Letting Go” by Patrick Ness is a fast-paced science fiction thriller. This book is the first in the “Chaos Walking” series.

Todd and his talking dog, Manchee, discover secrets. Todd must run for his life right before his 13th birthday. On Todd’s planet the men and animals can hear each others’ thoughts. Todd also discovers a wrecked scout ship and one survivor. The ending of this book is a cliff hanger setting up the next book in the series.

Article posted April 20, 2010 at 09:09 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 59

One of my fellow librarians described this book as a cross between the TV show “Heroes” and “Lord of the Flies.” Everyone except for teens under the age of 15 disappears. Some of the teens that are left have extraordinary powers. A classic battle develops between good and evil.

I was entertained by Michael Grant’s plot after I purchased this book at the Missouri Association of School Librarian conference. “Gone” is the first book in the series and I am really looking forward to the sequel.

Article posted March 28, 2010 at 01:48 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 73

Coert Voorhees has written a captivating “coming of age” novel about Frankie Towers. Frankie is a “coyote,” half Latina and half Anglo. Attending high school in a small town in New Mexico Frankie learns how to deal with his romantic feelings for Rebecca. Steve, his older brother, gets involved with Flaco, “the hardest cholo in town.” Voorhees’ first novel is a true winner.

Article posted March 15, 2010 at 04:48 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 150

My husband and I roughly traveled the Lewis and Clark Trail the summer of 2002. I loved the museums and the beautiful scenery. Stephen Ambrose’s account of the journey was fascinating. I agree completely with Jefferson’s opinion of Lewis.

Thomas Jefferson on Meriwether Lewis, “Of courage undaunted, possessing a firmness & perseverance of purpose which nothing but impossibilities could divert from it’s direction, careful as a father of those committed to his charge, yet steady in the maintenance of order & discipline, intimate with the Indian character, customs & principles, habituated to the hunting life, guarded by exact observation of the vegetables & animals of his own country, against losing time in the description of objects already possessed, honest, disinterested, liberal, of sound understanding and a fidelity to truth so scrupulous that whatever he should report would be as certain as if seen by ourselves, with all these qualifications as if selected and implanted by nature in one body, for this express purpose, I could have no hesitation in confiding the enterprise to him.”

Article posted February 21, 2010 at 04:37 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 59

Brian Katcher has written a great book for teenage boys, “Playing with Matches.” Leon Sanders falls for two very different girls and must decide which one is right for him. One girl has a face disfigured by a terrible fire and the other girl is prom queen material. This book is poignant and funny. Katcher’s debut novel is a winner!

Article posted December 27, 2009 at 02:11 PM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 99

During the holidays I can finally catch up with my reading. I stayed up until the wee hours reading a new book, “The Demon King” by Cinda Chima.

This fantasy novel is the first in a series about a magical world. Han Alister is the male protagonist and Princess Raisa is the female protagonist. The first “Seven Realms Novel” describes a land of wizards and clans. A thousand years ago the wizards nearly destroyed the world until the clans tamed the magic and put rules in place to control the wizards. The wizards are now trying to break the rules and challenge the clans. Han is from the bottom rung of the society and struggles to support his sister and mother. Raisa is the crown princess of the Fells. The two story lines are separate until the middle of the book. The book has a satisfying ending yet sets the reader up for the next book in the series.

Article posted December 24, 2009 at 02:42 PM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 90

Darren Shan writes Cirque du Freak as an autobiography. “The Saga of Darren Shan” is CREEPY and believable!

The first book of the “Cirque du Freak” series explains how Darren becomes a vampire’s assistant and establishes the characters of the series. All of the cadets at my school love to read this series.

Article posted December 19, 2009 at 12:27 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 89

I grew up with a lot of Jewish friends who were always going to hebrew school. After reading the book “The Chosen” by Chaim Potok I understand the importance of Jewish religious traditions.

Danny, a Russian Hasidic Jew, befriends Rueven, an Orthodox Jew. Both of them attend Jewish parochial schools in Brooklyn, New York, near the end of World War II. Danny’s father is a religious fanatic and Rueven’s father is not. Both families react to the formation of the Jewish state, Israel. This novel was mostly about the friendship of two teenagers and how they grew in understanding of the world and their religion. This book was a fascinating read.

Article posted October 11, 2009 at 04:39 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 114

Jonas is a twelve year old living in a benevolent totalitarian state. Lois Lowry portrays a world of sameness and superficiality in her book “The Giver.” Jonas is able to see things others cannot and rebels against the status quo.

Lowry’s book is horrifying and thought provoking. Does our knowledge of true pain and pleasure make us more human?

Article posted September 27, 2009 at 03:13 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 56

Sally Gardner has written an engrossing story of the French Revolution. The Red Necklace conveys the horror of the time while telling the story of two teenagers.

The story focuses on Yann Margoza, a gypsy boy, possessing magical powers. Yann meets Sido and falls in love with her. Sido is a French aristocrat whose destiny is linked with Yann. Count Kalliovski is the villain that Sido and Yann must overcome.

Article posted August 16, 2009 at 02:59 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 66

Suzanne Collins has written a fantastic story entitled “Hunger Games.” This book was the ultimate reality TV show! In this futuristic society 24 teens are chosen to participate in the annual Hunger Games. The games take place over many days and are broadcast to all twelve districts and the Capitol. The winner must kill the other participants to win the game. I stayed up past midnight to find out the winner.

Article posted August 2, 2009 at 06:04 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 63

Patrick Rothfuss has written a superb fantasy, The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One, “The Name of the Wind.” I was somewhat intimidated by the length but I was intrigued after reading the first page. Kvothe is the protagonist and the story is told as a flashback. This is the first book of a trilogy and I immediately wanted to find the second book which has not been released to the publisher. I certainly hope to get a copy of “Day Two.”

Kvothe’s world is filled with tales of a civilization long gone. This book describes Kvothe’s early life and teen-age years. Kvothe goes to the University and learns many things about magic. He also makes friends and enemies. This book was long but well worth the read!!

Article posted July 11, 2009 at 10:57 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 81

Neil Gaiman’s book, “The Graveyard Book,” starts out creepy and the rest of it does not disappoint! The illustrations by Dave McKean are also spooky. Really COOL read. This book was extraordinary and imaginative.

Nobody Owens (Bod) is the hero. Bod is raised in a graveyard by ghosts. He has several friends; a human girl, a witch, a werewolf, and a vampire. Bod also has enemies. Bod is a living human but he has some supernatural, ghostly powers. Bod is fifteen when the book ends and many mysteries are solved.

Article posted July 6, 2009 at 09:25 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 75

“Bog Child” takes place in Ireland during the 1980s. I liked this book because it teaches me of a time and place that is NOT America. I learned about Great Britain, Sinn Fein, and domestic terrorism.

Eighteen -year -old Fergus is the hero of the story. Fergus is struggling with entrance exams and the anguish of having his older brother in prison on a hunger strike. Fergus also discovers a mummified body in the bog. Fergus dreams of the bog child’s story. I also learned the definition of the Celtic word lough! Siobhan Dowd has written a captivating book for young adults.

Article posted June 23, 2009 at 11:48 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 67

Wow, I never realized mountain climbing is so dangerous. Roland Smith’s book “Peak” is a great read. Peak is also the name of the hero. Peak is fourteen and sentenced to Juvenile Detention for climbing a New York skyscraper. Peak’s father rescues him and takes him to Nepal where he runs expeditions up Mount Everest. Peak wants to be the youngest person to get to the summit of Everest. Peak learns many lessons about mountain climbing and friendship. This was a very satisfying read.

Article posted June 19, 2009 at 05:55 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 55

Jo Graham has written a riveting tale. “Black Ships” is both historical fiction and fantasy. Graham’s retelling of Virgil’s “The Aeneid” is light and shadows, life and death. Gull, the narrator, tells the story of Aeneas, prince of Troy. Gull is the Oracle and Aeneas listens to her prophecies.

I read this book slowly to enjoy the twists and turns of the plot. I was at first reluctant to read an epic but I was caught after the first page. Really, really good!

Article posted June 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 87

“Graceling” was an incredible read! This book I could not put down until I finished it in the wee hours of the morning. Kristen Cashore left me eagerly anticipating the sequel.

Katsa has the Grace of killing in this well written fantasy. Katsa is a teen with incredible powers and a growing sense of morality. Is it right to cut off fingers and kill people at her uncle’s request? Her uncle is the King and a bully. Katsa and Prince Po teem up to rescue a princess and solve a mystery. They also fall in love and fight many battles.

Article posted June 3, 2009 at 03:26 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 67

This book reminds me of the utter futility of war. This is a heartbreaking story of courage and comradeship during the Vietnam War. Walter Dean Myers has written a classic! The teenagers at my school really like this book and so do I.

America learned a lot of lessons from the Vietnam conflict. For me, the most important lesson was to understand the nature of the conflict. Guerrilla war or insurgency; what is really going on? Who is the enemy? Even today in Iraq and Afghanistan it is hard to define the enemy.

Article posted May 13, 2009 at 10:43 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 58

Neal Shusterman’s book “Unwind” made me think about the meaning of life. When does life begin? Should a teenager be dismembered and his/her body parts used to