Copyright (c) 2014 by Katherine Larison Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Katherine Larison -- Blogmeister

Captain Larison's Blog

Missouri Military Academy

My classroom is the library.

by Katherine Larison

Coehlo's official site
Ishmael Beah
Sherman Alexie
Chief Joseph
M. T. Anderson
Paolini
Elizabeth Knox
Geraldine McCaughrean
Jay Asher
Danger's Hour
Neal Shusterman
Walter Dean Myers
Kristin Cashore
Jo Graham
Roland Smith
Siobhan Dowd
Neil Gaiman
Patrick Rothfuss
Suzanne Collins
Sally Gardner
Lois Lowry
Chaim Potok
Darren Shan
Cinda Williams Chima
Brian Katcher
Stephen Ambrose
Michael Grant
Patrick Ness
Nancy Farmer
N. K. Jemisin
Jeff Stone
J. K. Rowling
Paolo Bacigalupi
Emma Clayton
Jennifer Brown
K. L Going
Matt de la Pena
Richard Preston
Scott Westerfeld
David Benioff
Ron Kovic
Lisa McMann
George Martin
I Am Number Four
Tamora Pierce
Andrew Scott Card
Matthew Brzezinski
Marie Lu
Veronica Roth
Elspeth Cooper
Melba Pattillo Beals
Wendelin Van Draanen
Alan Averill
Jerry McGill
Daniel H. Wilson
John Green
Christina Baker Kline
Laini Taylor
Deb Taber
Brandon Sanderson
Richard Paul Evans

Article posted September 23, 2014 at 08:40 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 423

Richard Paul Evans has written an action-packed science fiction adventure. Michael Vey is bullied and he has Tourette’s syndrome. Attending Meridian High School in Idaho Michael hides his secret abilities. Michael can produce electricity and shock other people. Michael has two friends, Ostin and Taylor Ridley. The Elgen Academy tries to recruit Michael and Taylor but the Academy is not what they appear to be.

This book is the first in a series, and I am really looking forward to the next one! The cadets have already asked for me to buy the next book, “Michael Vey: Rise of the Elgen.”

Article posted August 25, 2014 at 09:48 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 273

Brandon Sanderson has written some superb science fiction with an unexpected ending. David is the protagonist and he is trying to kill the Epic, Steelheart, the being who killed his father ten years ago. Steelheart used to be human before he morphed into an Epic when Calamity appeared. David joins the Reckoners, fellow humans trying to kill the Epics. David tries to convince the Reckoners to take out Steelheart. Megan explains an Epic as “a test of what we’ll do, if we have power. Enormous power. What would it do to us? How would we deal with it?”

The ending is wild and unexpected but Book 2, Firefight, continues the saga. The series is called The Reckoners.

Article posted July 8, 2014 at 02:13 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 359

Jin is a spreader in this futuristic society. Jin is a neut, short for gender neutral, neither man nor woman. Jin is a spreader of plagues designed to control the population. Jin calls itself “it.” The other main character is Sandy, a female nearly raped, but saved by a neut. Deb Taber shows us a society which is outgrowing its resources and the neuts are trying to save the entire human race. Jin is extraordinarily good at designing very specific plagues. One plague is delivered via music to target specific malignant emotions such as murderous hatred. Taber forced me to think about sexuality in a totally new way.

Article posted April 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 580

Laini Taylor has written an amazing book. The forces of angels and chimaera clash in this incredible story. Karou and Akiva, a seraphim, are the main characters in this fantasy. Karou is raised by the chimaera and Brimstone is her foster father. Brimstone says, “Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” Karou’s name means “hope.” There are two earths in this book; the one with seraphim which has magic and two moons and the one where humans live.

This is the first book of a trilogy and I cannot wait to see what happens next.

Article posted March 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 392

Jerry McGill has written an inspiring memoir. Jerry was shot in the back at the age of 13 and became a quadriplegic. Jerry wrote the book as “a letter to the man who shot me.” Jerry’s doctor explains “that I was a quadriplegic and Leslie was a paraplegic. For the first time he also explained to me in detail how the bullet was still sitting in my neck and always would remain so. Because it had lodged so close to my spine it would have been dangerous to remove it, so they just let it stay there.” Jerry would be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

I cried and laughed as I read McGill’s book. He explains how he gains control of his bodily functions, including sex. He has a BA in English literature and MFA in education from Pacific University in Oregon.

Article posted March 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 192

Robots try to take over the world!  “The Awakening affected only human-shaped robots, such as domestics, safety and pacification units, and related models- a tiny percentage of Archos’s overall force.  But with Mikiko’s song began the age of freeborn robots.”  Archos is the artificial intelligence running the war to kill humans.  The freeborn robots start helping the humans.  The battle scenes that Wilson wrote are very realistic and bloody.

Daniel Wilson has a Ph.D. in robotics and the battle scenes are more than believable.  Wilson wrote the book as a flash-back after Cormac “Bright Boy” Wallace finds a data cube.

Article posted January 27, 2014 at 09:42 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 188

Did you know that the orphan trains sent approximately “two hundred thousand children from the East Coast to the Midwest between 1854 and 1929?”  Christina Baker Kline has written a touching novel of two orphaned teenagers; Vivian Daly and Molly Ayer.  Vivian’s story takes place in 1929 and Molly’s in 2011.

Vivian is from Ireland and her Irish name is Naimh, pronounced “Neev.”  Her family dies in a fire in New York City and her mother is placed in an insane asylum.  As an orphan she is forced to change her name.  She is placed with two families before finding a home with her third family.  She suffers abuse, attempted rape, and starvation.  Vivian tells her story to seventeen year old Molly, an orphaned Penobscot Indian.  The two stories are interwoven as Vivian now in her eighties recalls her past.  Molly discovers that she and Vivian have a lot in common.

Article posted November 12, 2013 at 09:39 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 227

John Green made me laugh and cry when I read this book.  The two main characters are teenagers with cancer, Gus and Hazel.  This is how Gus describes cigarettes, “They don’t kill you unless you light them.  And I’ve never lit one.   It’s a metaphor, see:  You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don’t give it the power to do its killing.” 

Hazel reads a lot of books and her favorite book is An Imperial Affliction.  Gus uses his wish to take Hazel to visit the author of her favorite book in Amsterdam.   This is an enlightening book about dying and living as a teenager.

Article posted August 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 248

The Beautiful Land

Alan Averill has written a CREEPY, horrific, time-travel story.  Takahiro O’Leary is the protagonist with Samira Moheb as the “woman he has loved since high school.”  Samira is suffering from severe PTSD from the Iraq War.  Tak is a time traveling scout for the Axon Corporation.  Axon is run by a crazy, mad scientist out to destroy the world.  Did I mention it is also funny?  Tak tells Sam “ninety percent of time travel is running like hell….I should have mentioned that.”

I could not put this book down.  The story line is very unique and kept me on edge until the end!

Article posted July 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 227

Wendelin Van Draanen has written the touching story of sixteen-year-old Jessica.  Jessica loses her leg in a school bus accident and has to learn to walk again and to run again.  Her running leg costs $20,000!!  Jessica was not just a track star she LOVED to run, especially with her dog, Sherlock.

I broke my leg in 2007 and had to learn the “sit-and-scoot method.”  Jessica takes her first shower after the accident and explains how she gets up the stairs, “my little sit-and-scoot method will be even easier going downstairs than it was coming up…”

High School
Middle School

I am the Library Media Specialist for a private boarding school in Mexico, Missouri.