Copyright (c) 2014 by Adam Kulrich Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Adam Kulrich -- Blogmeister

Grade 8

by Adam Kulrich

Empathy is an important ability. It is essentially the ability to understand another person's situation. Being able to "put oneself into another's shoes" is truly an important part of being human.

Can you feel how another person does when they skin their knee?

Do you have the ability to understand someone's feeling when a family pet dies?

Do you understand the feeling a person has when a surprise party is held in their honor?

Read these three question again. Think about your answers to these questions.

Now, how do YOU know how these people feel?

Write a paragraph explaining how you can understand another person's feelings.

I hope you all have a wonderful spring weekend!!

Mr K

Yesterday, a Saskatoon court heard the jury's verdict in the Curtis Dagenais trial. A six-woman, six-man jury found Dagenais guilty of murder in the deaths of Const. Marc Bourdages and Const. Robin Cameron. He was also found guilty of attempted murder in the shooting of Const. Michelle Knopp.

It all took place in the summer of 2006 when Dagenais, enraged, filed a police report at the Spiritwood detachment. The officer in charge told Cameron to let Dagenais go home and cool off, before following up on the report. Minutes later, Cameron was breaking the passenger window of Dagnais' truck, while Dagnais sped off down main street. Cameron and Bourdages each jumped into their own patrol cars and thus began the chase out of town and into the country.

Cameron and Bourdages' cars were found later on, on the side of a country road with one of the patrol cars slammed into the side of Dagenais' truck. Both officers had been shot in the head, while Dagenais was nowhere to be seen.

During the trial, Dagenais was accused of killing the two officers. Dagenais claimed that he was only acting in self-defense. If you were a member of that jury, what would you say: guily? or not guilty? Why?

Mr K

Look at the comic below. Choose one of the characters (the truck driver, the person who was run over, or the bystander who came along at the end) and explain this comic from their point of view. Be creative and give the person a unique personality.

Have a great weekend!

Mr. Kulrich

Paraskevidekatriaphobics — people afflicted with a morbid, irrational fear of Friday the 13th - tend to be extra cautious on Friday the 13th. These people will avoid doing things like driving or even leaving their house because they believe that if they do they will get hurt or even die.

What do you think about this superstition? Write about some superstitions of your own.

Mr K

Here's a bit of a weird one:

Write a fictional news story about an adoption agency selling shaved apes as babies?

As you write this, think about how the apes and human babies act both alike and differently. Also, include reactions from people who have adopted the "babies."

Have a great weekend!

Mr K

Fairy tales have happy endings, we all know what happened in that mushy fairy tale, Cinderella. Yeah, it’s romantic, the prince actually finding Cinderella. They lived happily ever after. But happy endings can be, well… boring. No zing. So predictable. So… happy. What if the show fit one of the sisters? What happens then?

Play with your imagination here. Be funny if you like. Or serious if you feel like it. Whatever you are into, write your ending to the Cinderella story – but this time, make it so that the shoe fit one of the nasty sisters. What does Prince Charming do? How does Cinderella cope with it? And what about the Fairy Godmother?

Have fun!

Mr K

Here's your blogging assignment for Nov. 28:

You have just won $1 million in a contest. One of the contest's stipulation states that you must spend the money in one week. In addition, at the end of the week, you cannot have anything left to show for it (eg. clothing, vehicles, etc.). Also, you cannot give any of the money away. How would you spend the money? Have fun!

Mr. Kulrich

History was made on Tuesday as the United States of America elected their first black president. This is historically significant because all of their previous presidents have been "white" men. What effect do you think this will have on Canadians? Do you think that we will ever have a non-white Prime Minister? What about a First Nations Prime Minister?

Have a great weekend,

Mr. Kulrich

On Tuesday, Canada voted for the 40th time in history, giving Steven Harper's Conservatives another minority government. On Wednesday, Elections Canada reported that only 59.1% of Canadians voted. This means that 4 out of every 10 people did not bother to vote, and therefore did not have a say in who runs our country. What are your thoughts? Why do you think that it is important for Canadians to vote for their leaders? Why might some Canadians not have voted?

Mr. Kulrich

Here is your first Friday Writing assignment of the year.

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I thought that it would be fitting for us to think about how lucky we are to be living where we are. I would like you to each think of one thing that you could not live without. First, describe it and talk about how you came about getting it. Then, I would like you to think about how your life would be different without it.

No Links added yet!