Copyright (c) 2014 by Lisa Casey Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Lisa Casey -- Blogmeister

7 Ade -

Library

A safe place to learn about ourselves and others through blogging.

by Lisa Casey

No Links added yet!

Article posted March 17, 2014 at 01:15 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 661

Ray Bradbury's short story takes place on Venus and was written over a half century ago, but time, and location, do not change human feelings and reactions. We have read the story and now I would like you to blog your reaction to it thinking; about the questions below.

Why don't the children like Margot? Do they really understand what it's like to see and feel the sun? Do people react differently in a group? Why don't we step in and help when we see people being excluded or treated badly? How has seeing the sun changed the way the children feel about what they've done to Margot? Do you think that people might not discriminate against each other if they understood what it would be like to be that "other" person

Click on this link to the poem "What Do We Do with a Variation?" by James Berry

Photo and link to poem from this blog: http://wonderyou.wordpress.com/2010/03/10/all-summer-in-a-day/

Article posted February 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

Sorry that's the kind of lame essay you get asked to write, an "exercise" to get your mind back into school mode, which is a useful thing. Unfortunately it just makes me want to go on vacation all over again. So, what your ever -lovin' Sherpa of the Web was doing (besides watching the Olympics and reading Hollow City in three hours-quick review:- ILOVE Ransom RIggs!!!!) was messing around with new technologies. You probably already heard of Vine. Twitter did, and bought it up immediately, but what Vine does, is present Six, only Six Seconds of video. What can you do in 6 seconds? Well, use Animationish and do this:

or make a funny video and do this:

WARNING:  Vines, like youtube, like the Net, means there is no filtering and even though the videos are 6 seconds doesn't mean there is no swearing or adult content. We can use it responsibly, and not abuse it.

Article posted February 4, 2014 at 01:11 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

DeathbyNinja010  found this tidbit on Dogo News: Superbowl Sunday is the second biggest day of the year, following Thanksgiving, to eat a lot. A lot of what, you may ask? Click on the Doritos bag to find out.

Article posted January 31, 2014 at 11:55 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 35

Remember the Activia commercials we reviewed? And today's comparison of car commercials from the fifties to contemporary times? Well folks, things are getting slicker and slicker. This Superbowl Sunday will have millions of viewers, and the commercial sponsors have spent MILLIONS to capture your attention for a few seconds. From Oscar winning directors to famous actors, products are being sold. Please watch how. Is yogurt really sexy? Are Cheerios the key to a happy family? What is really being sold here? What are the commericals trying to make you feel or think? What do family values and togetherness have to do with Cheerios anyway.  See how many ideas are being pushed inside the commercials that have nothing really to do with the products at all. Blog your responses, please, and we will share. And yes, you can pick your favorite commercial and share it with the class - but be ready to explain what made it your favorite. Was it accurate or was it selling a "value" or idea rather than a product?

1957 Car Commercial: 

2014 Car Commercial:

Brainwash Image from: http://kyliemcgirr.com/

Article posted January 28, 2014 at 11:57 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

Or rather, On Guard, a site where you and your family can learn about Internet Safety. From Identity Theft, Mobile Apps, avoiding scams, hacked email, and with links that pertain to Military, businesses and technies, it's a great place to use as a reference for cyber safety.

Image: e-mago at flickr

Article posted January 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 35

the new year brings a new start. Ever think about what you'd like to do with your life? Read this article and respond:

http://business.time.com/2013/12/31/a-question-for-the-new-year-what-do-you-want-to-be-remembered-for/

Article posted December 13, 2013 at 01:07 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

Sweetie the internet predator catcher Click here for article and online news video report

Scary but true, internet police in Amsterdam have caught over 1,000 men trying to chat with Sweetie. Did this video newsarticle surprise you? That men from over 70 nations chatted with Sweetie? That there is no "dirty old man" profile, but that men from all ages and ethnicities chatted with Sweetie?

Will this change your online behavior in any way?

Article posted December 6, 2013 at 08:37 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

Nelson Mandela is one of the people whose name will be remembered, like Gandhi and Dr. King, for ending injustice and social inequality in their country. It is impossible to sum up their, his, achievements, in a sentence.

Mandela, in fighting apartheid, demonstrated once again to the world that holding a belief that all people should be treated equally, and that no one race of people should enslave or mistreat another, you will ultimately prevail against all odds.

You can learn about Mandela's legacy at Newsela. You can choose to view any news article from CNN or any reputable news reporting to learn more.

I can't imagine being able to change the world in the way Mandela did,  but after reading these two articles, what little thing do you think you could do, always, to make the world a better place?

One contribution, practiced by many, makes a huge difference in the world.

P.S. Just had to have you guys check this out as we are learning about accuracy and web evaluation. This is the Las Vegas Guardian reporting on Mandela's contributions.

Article posted December 4, 2013 at 03:33 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 35

Discussing the roll out of I-Safe, we talked about gaming and the social networking around it. The fact that you can chat with strangers, trash talk, the game software that can respond to swears (how badly a swear?) and exclude you from a game.

Some students were very interested in this topic and want to bring their knowledge to you. The assignment will be called "Gaming", so please make sure to click on the assignment when writing to your blog so that we can scroll through all your work.

Oh - I now know who Captain Sparklez is.

Article posted October 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

Please find an interesting article to report out on. Put in in your blog.

6F1
6F2
6F3
7Aenrichment
7Benrichment
7Cenrichment
Links
Movers and Military
six one
six three
six two

Mrs. Casey is a school library media specialist in beautiful Jamestown, RI.