Copyright (c) 2014 by Robert Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Robert -- Blogmeister

Robert's Rock'n Blog

0809

by Robert

Title: I Declare This, King George! (05/19/09)
Description: The Declaration of Independence was one of our dearest and most famous documents in the history of our country. In it, the members of the Continental Congress declared themselves free from Great Britain and stated many of the reasons that caused this separation.

Imagine that you are sitting alongside Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and the other members of the Congress, but YOU are the one that has been chosen to write it. Thinking about our activity with the Skittles, what we have read and movies that we have watched, write your own Declaration to the king. Tell him what YOU want and the events that have happened or things that he has done that has caused you to feel this way.

Challenge! Do you think that you would have been courageous enough to sign your full real name to the Declaration knowing that it would go to to King George? Why or why not?

Also, you can comment on blog entries of other students in our classroom or in classrooms that we are sharing with.

Make sure that you TRIPLE check your blog and your comments for proper capitalization, grammar, punctuation and spelling!

***Remember that a blog is NOT a journal. What you write can and will be viewed by other people, so DO NOT put any sensitive or personal information!***

Dear King George, or should I say dear “King that annoys me everyday and lets soliders come and stay in my home and eats my food and needs to go to a psychologist George;"

I think that your rules are very unfair because 1st, when you let soldiers come into our home, they eat our food without asking, and they force me and my family to sleep in one small room.

2nd, your tax rules are very unfair because it makes it harder for us to buy food because say if a fresh loaf of bread is 50 cents, when we go to pay for it ends up being 1.00 because of the tax.

I right this letter to you because we need our own independence=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://

Our class is learning about the Declaration Of Independence and what it really means.

If I had to write my own Declaration of Independence It would be like this:

Dear King George,

We want to be separate from Great Britain (We means the colonists.) Here are the reasons why. We want to be free and happy. We are all created equally so we have to be treated equally. There is no war going on, but armies are still here and are living in our houses without our permission. You closed some of our ports. Now we can't even sell or buy stuff from other countries. The taxes are unfair. We can't believe you are taxing us for things like sugar, tea, newspapers and salt. We are not given a free trial to defend ourselves. Whatever the king says is always the rule. We want to be free and united. We can have our own armies, make peace or war, work with other countries, and buy and sell as we wish. We have our own rights to do all these things. We all agree as signed:

SRAVYA B. ……………

And all the members who signed the real declaration of independence

Challenge answer: I would sign the declaration of Independence (first and last name) because we need our own rights. We are a free country.

Dear King George,

Your rules are not very nice and they are very selfish and I also have a few things to tell you about your rules. First it’s not fair you get to let the soldiers live in our house and we have to make food for them let them use our bathrooms it’s just not fair they live in our houses for no reason and we have to have our privacy. Second of all you placed taxes on items like newspaper, documents, and tea. Now I’m not going to buy much. Third of all you placed ports on places so we couldn’t buy items from other places. I do not like any of your rules.

Megan

Article posted May 22, 2009 at 03:07 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 38

If I were chosen to right the Declaration of Independence, I would choose to write it something like this.

Dear King George,

We are tired of all your unfair rules and taxes. Us patriots are declaring our independence from you. We no longer want to belong to you. We can have our own taxes, laws, and army. Most colonists are tired of these unfair rules, so we have came up with this letter to inform you that we are seperate from you and we no longer are in your control. We no longer must pay all those unfair taxes, or follow your unfair laws. We declare independence and we no longer will have anything to do with you. You had a chance to change these unfair rules. You didn't. Now we are angry. We are patriots. We have our own country now. We no longer must do everything you say. We can have our own ways of doing things, and what you have been doing is making most of the colonists upset. That's why we've decided to have revenege for these unfair taxes. Once again, we quit. This is over. We are not part of Britain. We are now part of the United States Of America!

Challenge:

I would have signed my name because I would be brave enough even though I would have to go to hiding for a very long time. All of the people who signed their name must go to hiding or they will be shot by the British Army.

Article posted May 22, 2009 at 03:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 38

King George you have made us pay high taxes and you think it is all fun and games, but it is NOT! If you were one of us, how would you feel paying taxes for everthing? King, you sent 1,400 troops and don't care. Everyone should have equal rights and we shouldn't go to jail if we speak our mind. You are making YOUR soldiers stay in our homes and there is not a war going on. How would you feel if soldiers took over your house and YOU need to feed them, YOU would need to give them a place to stay and YOU would need to sleep in the kitchen?! King, you should not rule us, we should rule ourselves. At least make fair rules that all of us agree on.

Article posted May 21, 2009 at 01:09 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 37

Dear King George,

You are the most baddest king!

You took away our land to trade with

people and put taxes on us! It is

not fair that Great Britain doesn't get any taxes!You even taxed our favorite drink, tea. That makes me so angry! You are the worst king ever!

from,

Dennis

If I were chosen to write the Declaration of Independance, I would write...

We the colonists want you to stop forcing us to pay extra money called taxes. It's not fair to any of us. Sice we are people we have the right to do whatever we please.

CHALLENGE: I would have written my full name, because I want the British to stop this nonsense. The colonists and I want to seperate from you but we also want to be with you but we want you to stop telling us (the colonists) to pay taxes! Thank you!

Signed:

Michelle L.

Benjamin Franklin

John Adams

John Hancock

Samuel Adams

Benjamin Rush

James Smith

Article posted May 20, 2009 at 09:30 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 36

Hello, this is inventor Robert, here to show you my new time machine…………………………… Hello, this is Robert, I just stepped into my time machine, into the time of Declaration of Independence. Right now I’ve been chosen to write the Declaration of Independence. Oh, and by the way, Thomas Jefferson and Benjiman Franklin say hi. Anyway, I am going to write how the Quartering Act, Stamp Act, and the Townshed Act are unfair on the Declaration. I will also write that we don’t want to live here anymore. I wouldn’t have enough courage to actually sign my name on the Declaration. Well, time to go this is Robert stepping into the time machine. Bye.

Article posted May 22, 2009 at 01:02 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 37

Dear King George,

We, the colonists say that your laws are unreasonable and unacceptable. You put a very high tax on our necessities. You put soldiers to live in our houses and we have to feed and take care of them. You stopped our ports to buy or sell to other countries. Whatever you said was always the rule. We are all tired of you always pushing us around. We all agree to this Declaration of Independence.

Signed,

Dustin Li

Article posted May 22, 2009 at 03:42 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 33

Dear King George,

Your laws are unfair.  I don't like the soliders taking all the room in my house.  Why are the soliders still here? The war is already over.  It is also, unfair that we here in the United States have to pay taxes and the people in England does not have to pay any taxes.  Our taxes are so high.  Can you please lower our taxes.  We do not want to be under your leadership any longer. We want our independence.

Signed by,

Emily Lo

P.S. [move curser to see the names] Also, it would be brave to sign your whole name because  the British Army could be at your door ready to kill you by the king.

Article posted May 22, 2009 at 02:02 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 38

Hello. I just finished writing the Declaration of Independence. What a nightmare! Everyone was talking at the same time saying thier ideas. Don't they know how to take turns?! Anyway, the king needs to give us our freedom. The king can not just put soldiers in our houses and make us feed them and take care of them if there is not even a war going on! It's hard for me to sleep in the kitchen with a bad back! When this is over I will be so happy, I will buy Five pounds of tea and drink it all at the same time! Well independence is here! Talk to you later!

Dear fair King George,

You are the worst king in the world! You put quartering acts(let British army troops go in peoples homes when there was no war) on innocent people.   You made people pay unfair tax called the Stamp Act. All the colonists dressed up like Indians and threw all the tea into Boston Harbor because you are so unfair.  I hope you learned your lesson!

Signed

Michael M              that was my letter to the King George.   Bye!

Article posted May 22, 2009 at 01:37 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 36

The Declaration of Independence is the most famous document in history. If I was sitting with them I would feel honored. I would tell King George we are our own bosses. We wanted to stop paying taxes to the King. I do not want to sign my last name on the document because I do not want to get killed.

If me Tyler was going to write the Declaration Of Independence I would write we want Independence we want freedom. We should be in charge of ourselves. You the king worry about your self. That is what I would write to Mr king George.

Article posted May 22, 2009 at 12:32 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 40

The colonists wrote the Declaration of  Independence.  People have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  If I were writing it, I would write the people have the right to their own money.  People work so hard for their money and it is so unfair that the takes so much of it.  That's what I would write.

HELLO!!! :-) If I were sitting beside Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and the other members of the congress, lit's just say I'd be speechless. Ok, anyways, If I were chosen to write the Declaration of Independence I'd write...

... King George,

This is a letter to you declaring our independence. First, about the Townshend act, you taxed us on tea, glass, paper, and sugar! But you didn't tax the British! Why is that?! Next, you closed our ports! We can't buy, sell, or trade with any other countries! Finally, we want a trial by jury! All you say is htat we're guilty without hearing any of the facts! I mean, come on! In conclusion, we declare our independence!

Do you like it? Tell me! I would sign my name, but I would sign it sloppy. Got to go! Bye!

~Kayla

The declaration of Independence!

King, this is what I say! I state that these United states are free and independent from your country and your sick twisted rules! You have put taxes on stuff like tea, entertainment, and even the newspaper! You even closed the docks with British warships and you won't let us buy or sell stuff to other countries! How do you know if they have something unique and we don't! And don't get me started about the British soliders who stayed in our houses ! So what if they protected us, the war is over, are you blind?!

I'm writing the D.O.I. I was chosen to do this because Tom Jefferson hurt his arm. Ben Franklin is seeing me write it. We want Independence from British people and King George! We all want independence.

Article posted May 21, 2009 at 12:11 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 34

IF I WAS PART OF WRITING THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE THIS IS WHAT I WOULD WRITE. FIRST, IT ISN'T FAIR THAT BRITISH SOLDIERS ARE MAKING US LET THEM STAY IN OUR HOUSES EVEN IF THERE IS NO WAR GOING ON. THEY ALSO GIVE US VERY LITTLE SPACE TO LIVE AND TAKE MOST OF THE ROOM IN OUR HOUSES AND MAKE US FEED THEM.NEXT, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO TRADE WITH ANYONE EXCEPT THE PEOPLE THE BRITISH TELL US TO TRADE WITH.ALSO,THE HIGHLY PRICED TAXES.THAT IS WHAT I WOULD WRITE ON THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE.

-Dear King George, I don't like that you are taxing our tea and other products.It makes me and the other people in this town mad, upset, and foolish. We feel this way because you can't tax our products like that. We want the war to end. We also want a Democracy and to be independent from Great Britain. Sincerely yours, the citizens of Philadelphia. I am willing to sign my name to this document because I am not afraid to die for my newcountry.

Article posted May 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 37

If I were to write the Decloration of Independence I would write that it is not fair for  us to have to pay for YOUR TAXES=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://!!!! Also why do Britians soldiers come barging in to my house and I have to feed them, and give them a place to stay who would do such  a thing! Oh gee I think I know YOU! KING GEORGE!! Thats who! Last, why are tea,and sugar like so expensive these days! And thats why I am writing this letter to you you should be ashamed of your self! Bad Boy! ;(   

~Anastasia     

Challenge

I would not have written my name on the letter because I do not want to be killed. I do not think anyone should write their names on there:)

Article posted May 22, 2009 at 02:46 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 36

We declare independece, King George. You put taxes with your own free will, put your soldiers in our houses even though we are in peace! You even cut off our trade with the world! We will get our independence no matter what. We don't care if you forbid us from doing so! We will get our freedom.

From The United States ( the colonys)

I"m a fourth grade boy. In my spare time, I like to play video games with my brother. My favorite color is purple. My favorite subject is math. I'm a big Yankees fan. I have a brother and a sister. I was born in the Winter.