Copyright (c) 2014 by Jan Gytri Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jan Gytri -- Blogmeister

Pushing Boundries

We're a class of first graders, learning, growing and meeting challenges together.

by Jan Gytri

Cool Math Games
Kidblog

Article posted December 6, 2013 at 05:54 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 2440

We are part of a Christmas card exchange with 29 schools in the country and Australia. It allows us to share information about our schools, what's unique about our class or school and compare weather data.

http://animoto.com/play/eBse33zJLUNvosmgjs1TDA

Something to ponder:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/opinion/losing-is-good-for-you.html?_r=2&

Consider reading Carol Dweck's book, Mindset. She writes about the difference between a fixed mindset and a growth mindset and an affective way to praise children.

Article posted October 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 126

Encourage your children, they are capable of greatness!

Article posted October 9, 2013 at 03:06 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 147

Students made various discoveries as they explored with measurement tools. It opened their eyes to the many things that can be measured, the tools needed to do the job and units of measurement.

Article posted October 7, 2013 at 05:24 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 164

I modeled for students how our Brown Bag Book Club will work. We're working on tracking our thinking as we read so future homework will be to read a book at home and write or draw what they mostly thought about as they read the story. The writing will be done on a form glued to a paper bag and then brought back to school. Each student will get a snack in their bag and join a small group where each person will share their thinking about their story.

We participated in the O.R.E.O project on http://www.projectsbyjen.com/ and had a great time trying to stack as many Oreos as we could before they toppled!

Our friend Brayden brought in a caterpillar he found at home. Some friends helped him research what kind it is. They think it is a Hornworm. He'll keep us posted on how it's growing. We're learning about animal life cycles so this is a perfect connection.

Article posted September 15, 2013 at 04:01 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 166

I am an introvert and have always struggled with sharing my ideas and thoughts, especially if I think they’ll be seen as ridiculous or too far off the beaten path. I’m overwhelmed in groups when extroverts take over and the task at hand progresses so quickly I don’t have time to think. Susan Cain, author of Quiet, The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking speaks about the need in our schools, work places, and our world for a balance of collaborative group work and quiet contemplation. How are we honoring our children who are introverts? Do we allow them enough time and the platform to express their ideas? Do our actions and expectations give them the message that there is something wrong with them because they like to work and play alone sometimes or they need time to ponder before sharing? Do we allow enough quiet, independent work and reflection time for all, including extroverts? Important questions to reflect on this year to be sure.

It’s the day after our school open house. Once empty lockers, tubs, and desks are now filled with brand new student supplies. We’ve spent recent weeks preparing. Bring on the kids already! I’m exhausted from “preparing” and am ready to get on with the adventures of “learning”.

Six years ago I started learning to swim because I wanted to do a triathlon but I didn’t know how to swim. I say, “I started learning to swim” because I’m a work in progress. My desire to race was what got me to the pool. Perseverance is what keeps me swimming and is what got me to the starting line of my first race. Perseverance is what keeps me swimming when I feel like I’m not getting stronger, faster or more efficient in the water. Perseverance is what keeps me racing because I know that working harder or differently will help me do better in the next race.

An important goal I always have is to teach my first graders to persevere, to model and instill a passion for and a sense of urgency about learning. We have important work to do and with encouragement and coaching from teachers and parents, children will persevere through challenges that come with learning something new.

I am a teacher lucky enough to stay with a class for both first and second grade.