Copyright (c) 2014 by J Harington Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
J Harington -- Blogmeister

Likeable Learners -

room 19 2014

Our class is a group of Year 2 children from Rotorua, New Zealand. The children are mainly 6 and 7 year olds. We live amongst volcanic craters, boiling mud pools and steaming geysers.

by J Harington

Free Rice word game to play
Judy Lee Engineer
Tell the Time
Maths Sumdog Basic Facts
Bingo Maths add/sub
Fraction Booster
Fraction Practice
Fraction Flags
Fractions Dolphin Racing
Fraction Monkeys
Telling time
Telling time

Article posted June 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 1399

On our last day of swimming until Term 4, we had to be assessed against our swimming targets to see what progress we had made. After that we had some free play time to get right into the 'swim' of it. The smiles on the children's faces say it all. We didn't have much down time during swimming as we wanted to make the most of our learning time. But on the last day we could, and some of those moments are captured here.

Article posted June 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 91

Our Junior Sports Day was an amazing day. We had so many activities to try out. You can find out what and which were the children's favourites by going to their pages and reading about it.

Article posted June 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 77

The whole school had a duathlon called the Run Bike Run. We had a great day. It was a really long way to run and bike. Go to the children's pages to read about what they thought of it.

Article posted June 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 64

After our investigation into the staff at Lynmore School, we made collage pictures of the staff member we had selected to find out about. You might even be able to guess who they are from our art.

We found out some interesting things such as what pets they have, what games they like playing and what they like the most about teaching. Then we put together an art exhibition for our whole team. We had great fun telling our parents what we had learnt and sharing our work.

Article posted June 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 137

What's going on outside? Its too great an opportunity to miss. Look at what arrived outside our classroom. We went out to watch them pouring concrete to make the ramp for our new deck. The children took turns at taking photos. Here's the result.

Article posted June 12, 2012 at 04:12 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 70

"Terrific, a new deck," declared the children.

"A great place to have lunch!" thought Mrs H

And the children agreed.

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 08:37 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 86

Article posted March 24, 2012 at 07:05 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 73

Welcome to our new blog for 2012. We are a class of 26 Year 2 children. We are looking forward to getting our individual pages up and running soon. Hopefully we can find a photo site that we can make our new slideshows on since the last site has closed down due to the world economic crisis. We were lucky to have slide.com for so long.

To celebrate the end of the year we had a class Amazing Race. It all started with a boat race in the pool. Everyone in the team had to stay linked together on flutter boards and float the length of the pool. Hilarious! It looked quite tricky. Really only the back person could kick, because the others ahd someone holding their ankle.

The next event was the trolley derby. The team who got the most water down to the other end 30 metres away , in 5 minutes, was the winner. After running over several containers of water, and having to start again, there were huge discrepancies between teams. The child riding the trolley had to hold the cups of water and hang on for dear life! Blake was our surfer!

The last outside event we just finished before the vrain. That was the group ski. It really took co-operation and teamwork to have all four children moving their legs in a synchronised way to reach the finish line. One team stood out for their rhythm. Others stood out for perseverance.

We needed a tie-breaker to decide the winners, it was so close. So into the classroom for some quiz questions.

Photos to come!

While the Cup was on, we explored the Needs and Wants of the World cup countries that came to Rotorua for games. We looked even more closely at the traditional style of housing from these countries and looked at reasons for the differences in housing. Extremely interesting. The children made collage pictures of their country's house.

Wasn't it great that NZ won the Cup! We all wrote letters to the All Blacks and made congratulatory posters to send them.

Here's one letter:

Dear Richie,

It was very exciting when you won the World Cup against France! It was a really close game but you still won, thank goodness! I can’t believe you haven’t lost a single game in the Rugby World Cup! You used your best skills when you played. You also put all your effort into the game. Well done! But the part that I loved the most was when your team sometimes got a little bit annoyed, they kept on going and never gave up! You’re so lucky for bringing home the cup!

Regards,

Meraania

room 14 2010
Room 19, 2012
Room 19, 2014
Room 22

I am a teacher at Lynmore School, and I love teaching children all sorts of things. I'm learning lots along the way...