Copyright (c) 2014 by Kim Peddle Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Kim Peddle -- Blogmeister

Washington Wiz Kids

Room 35

by Kim Peddle

Time for Kids
Scholastic News
CNN News for Kids
New York Times Kids
Weekly Reader
Kim Peddles Classroom Website

We have just had a wonderful speaker and historian come to our school. Jack Peel is an Ojibwe historian. Jack lived in a wigwam with his grandparents until he was 7 years old. He carries with him a traveling museum of artifacts that he carries with him as he presents to kids. The artifacts are all "real" in that they were used by Jack and members of his family, or constructed by him. A few were collected at auction or given to him for his presentations. Jack Peel is a phenomenal story teller. He is passing on the "old" stories that he learned as a boy, as well as stories of his own life experiences. I think his final words to the kids really made an impact, “Be proud of who you are no matter what your background. You are all special.” Mr. Peel truly embraced the concept of understanding, peace, acceptance, and respect for one another. Our students will remember this time with Jack Peel for many years to come!

Article posted September 11, 2011 at 01:26 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 47

We have a new class posting to blogs this week! It is very exciting. They are going to be posting their hopes and dreams for their third grade year. I am so impressed with this class. They are a wonderful group of kids and it has been fun getting to know them. I have lots of fun activities planned for this year and I can't wait to get started....well I already have! I think the kids are really enjoying science so far and now they are going to be BLOGGING!

Last week we went snowshoeing. We had so much fun! We started out on a snowy path and the ventured into the woods. We looked for animal tracks and other signs of animals in the woods. We found tracks and scat, nests and places where deer had nipped buds off of short tree brush. The weather was perfect and the kids were amazing. We definitely got our exercise!

10 Things

1. When I was a kid I loved school. I loved it so much that when I grew up, I wanted to be a teacher.

2. I have 2 beautiful daughters. We do lots of fun things together.

3. I have a wonderful husband. His new is Bruce. He likes to collect agates.

4. I love to do crafts. My favorite thing is knitting. I have made lots of warm and cozy things for my family.

5. When I was a kid, I lived in Brainerd. My whole family still lives there. I like to go to Brainerd to spend time with my mom and dad, sisters, brother and nieces and nephews.

6. I like to cook. I grow things in my garden in the summer and use the vegetables when I cook.

7. I love to read. My favorite types of books are mystery stories.

8. We live in the country. I like seeing the wild animals that come into our yard. We have seen bears, wolverines, badgers, deer, fox, and lots of different kinds of birds.

9. Dogs are my favorite pet. We have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 frogs, 3 fish and a bearded dragon lizard.

10. I like computers and other types of technology. I like to create movies for my kids and my students, called video yearbooks.

The kids are very excited! They are going to be sharing their blogs with parents at conferences this week.

We have really been enjoying all of the learning opportunities that are available through the Project Intersect Grant. We have gone on a field trip to Pine City Trading Post and next week, we are going to an Art Museum to view contemporary Native art and a Planetarium to hear Native constellation stories. Jack Peel, of the Mille Lacs Ojibwe, came to present to us. For 3 whole days we learned about the Ojibwe way of life, and traditions. It was fantastic!

A great big "Thank You" goes out to the parents, friends, family and STUDENTS who have taken the time to read and comment on our writing blogs. We have had a wonderful response! Is is very motivating to the kids to have so many people reading their writing!

Article posted May 20, 2009 at 05:25 PM GMT0 • comment (12) • Reads 41

My family and I are going to have a busy summer. The week after we get out of school we are going camping near the Boundry Waters. I can't wait to catch and eat a whole bunch of Walleye! I am going to be going to a teacher workshop for one week and teaching at a technology camp for 2 weeks. We will be camping in Cross Lake over the 4th of July. In August we are going to the Black Hills where Abby and Ellie are going to a Ranch/Horse Riding Camp. It's going to be a fun, busy summer!

We are right in the midst of our Pioneer unit. We are learning about westward expansion and the lives of the American Pioneers. The kids are in "wagon train" groups and they earn points to travel the trail from Missouri to Oregon by completing various learning activities. They have all updated their learning blogs with their latest "Pioneer Diary" entries.

Article posted December 11, 2008 at 06:27 PM GMT0 • comment (6) • Reads 68

While I was at the TIES technology conference on Monday I went to a session about the Iditorod.  During the session Gary Paulsen, my favorite author of all time, joined us via SKYPE.  He was at his home in New Mexico. Gary has written many books about his experiences as a musher, but retired from running major events in the late 1980's due to heart disease.  Much to my surprise and excitement his name was on the 2006 Iditarod roster.  He had a blog which told about his preparations.  And then, he scratched.  And nothing else was posted to his blog.  And I have wondered for 2 years what happened.  So,  during the live video session I asked Gary what happened.  His first question was, "How graphic do you want me to be?" and his next question was, "Are there any kids in the room?".  So, he told a group of teachers what happened.  It involved a fence, a deep cut and blood.  That's all I'm going to tell.

Class of 2016
Class of 2017
Class of 2018
Class of 2019
Class of 2020
Class of 2021

I am a 3rd grade teacher who is absolutely CRAZY about technology and what technology can do for kids.