Copyright (c) 2015 by Wendy Watson Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Wendy Watson -- Blogmeister

English Speakers of Other Language (E.S.O.L)-

Room 40

Will be working with kids who need some assistance with their literacy. This year I have started working with children who have another language as their first language and some who have parents who speak another language. Working with the school council and radio station, 107.5 FM

by Wendy Watson

Article posted June 26, 2015 at 01:30 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 160

Here we are...end of Term 2 is nigh, and we`re well into winter. Brrrrrrrrrr!!! Minus 2 coming to school today and a fantastic white frost to boot.

This term has seen me, working with the ESOL children, needing assistance with English, in their classrooms. It has worked well, because I have been able to continue their programme, within the class. This means we do not lose vital minutes going to and fro from my room to classroom. It means also, that the student can get right back into the class programme, as soon as we finish.

Each student, for which we are funded, has received 1 hour of 1-1 tuition, with me, in their class, per week.

I picked up one student, Bradley, who is in a Year 1 class, as he was `stuck` in use of his language, and the class teacher and I discussed that we would, give him some time, to assist him with his language needs. It also coincided with 2 funded students, returning to China for 5 weeks and I could slot Bradley into one of those positions.

All students progressed with their ELLP`s. I used suggested activities from the SELLIPS to dovetail in with the LLPs and AO`s from the Curriculum.

What was of amazing help, was being on the ESOL on-line group, who share their learning with other ESOL tutors/teachers/mentors. In particular, the disappearing text skill, where the student reads a piece of text. (Short and precise and containing words for ESOL student to learn to read and have meaning attached to the word. (Vocabulary development as well as English sentence structure development.)

When the student reads the text (short in length to begin with), they cover one word per sentence and read it, inserting the covered word. By the time they have covered all of the text, they will have committed it to short-term memory. With subsequent revisiting, this can then be moved to long-term memory, should that be one of the aims.

I have done this with year 1s up to year 6`s. I have also, used it with my students requiring assistance with their literacy learning.

W.W.

25.6.15

Article posted December 16, 2014 at 01:54 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 650

Back in April, a man, named Jono Pyper, passed away.on the North Shore of NZ. He had been diagnosed with motor neurone disease 3 years earlier. I read of his death, in the death notices of the NZ Herald. I had been fortunate to teach Jono, as a young boy and to know him on and off through his life.

I contacted his Mum, who was understandably heart broken. He was a special lad and God seems to only give special kids to those who can cope and be special as well. Helen told me that he had spent the last months of his all too short life (43) with them. He was reduced to a skeleton of his former self, having lost the abilities of movement, speech and swallowing. Not only had he lost these abilities, but, he was in pain.

I have been in contact with Helen, several times and plan a trip to visit and stay with the family, over the summer holiday period.

I have been incredibly reflective of him since April. Helen says, "I just cry!" So much of what I have learnt about alternate learning styles, I learnt from having Jono in my life.

You will be free of the burden of the disease now Jono and I hope you are soaring with your namesake...Jonathon Livingston Seagull.

Rest and watch over us Jono.

Love,

Wendy:(xx

Article posted December 16, 2014 at 01:29 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 168

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Customize a picture slideshow

Article posted November 11, 2014 at 07:33 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 346

11th hour of the 11th the day of the 11th month. Lest we forget. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning we will remember them.

Today I donned my poppy, to celebrate the lives of the countless thousands who gave their life so that future generations could live in freedom.

I had 2 great uncles who did not come home from WW1 and one great cousin, who did not come home either. His brother died of wounds in France however his remains were returned to NZ and buried in a family plot, in Middlemarch cemetery.

Thankyou to my relatives and to all of the others who gave us the chance to live free.

WWatson.

Article posted November 3, 2014 at 01:22 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 272

A group of interested teachers have formed a group, #connectRotorua which is developing learning around how to use ICT and how best to get quality learning from use of different tools. During October, teachers from different Rotorua schools, put their hand up to provide a blog for a different day. Result, Pass the blog, proved a success in providing a platform from which the voice of the learners was heard...loud and clear. I have included some video clips of some children. Go to connectedrotoruaschools.blogspot.co.nz. for reading the posts on the blog. Enjoy the sharing and please leave a comment or two or ...

Article posted October 7, 2014 at 03:03 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 327

Just loving being the teacher in charge of overseeing the learning of children of migrants or migrants themselves.

Fantastic kids and it is so much fun, tracking their learning, planning and teaching sessions with them, overseeing and assisting with the learning they are presently working on in their own classroom programmes.   Im going to get some slideshows underway so you can meet the treasures.

WWatson 7.10.14

Click on the link to view a Smilebox Slide show of some of the children in our ESOL programme.

[LINK]

Article posted May 9, 2014 at 05:15 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 1073

Jonathan Glyn Pyper, 1.8.1971-11.4.14.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You taught me so much about how some children learn. In the day, we knew very little about dyslexia, adhd, add... All I knew, when you were in my class in 1974, at Kauri Park School, North Shore of Auckland, was that even though you were a quick thinker, speaker, you struggled with writing down your ideas, spelling your words and reading them back. Your Mum, Helen Pyper, went to amazing lengths to get help for you. She was on our doorstep most days, pushing us to get the help you needed. I went to a Speld association meeting with your Mum and tried to make sense of what the tutors were saying - that some people cannot learn by seeing and hearing letters, sounds, letter clusters and patterns, that for some reason or reasons, they think and learn differently. I remember, drawing little kiwi illustrations and putting letter blends in ways that I hope entertained you and would help you remember spelling patterns. The pictures made you laugh and that was a bonus. You loved laughing, You were an imp and a wee trickster, however your heart was always open and you had a smile that lit up the room.

I was fortunate to watch you grow into a fine young man who wanted to become a teacher. However, because your writing, spelling and reading was such, you weren`t allowed into teacher training. You moved to USA and became a leader/helper/teacher at a summer camp and you loved that, and in a way, that filled the want of becoming a teacher.

You married and came back to NZ and continued living your life, delighting your family and friends.

Meanwhile, I had left the north shore and from 1988, lived in Rotorua. I was fortunate to get work at Lynmore Primary School and eventually to work with children who thought and read and wrote and spelt, as you did Jono. I still use some of the strategies I learnt when you were with me back in 1979. You made me look for other ways of teaching and I still do, thanks to you, because you were right there in front of me and you could not be ignored.

I have thought of you often Jono, over the years, because you impacted so much on how I taught, children with different learning styles. It was thanks to Mums like yours, who pushed the boundaries and made schools and teachers look further than the accepted norms for offering an education to children.

Since the death of my Mum (29.5.13)and then my niece Carmen, (9.9.13) who was the same age as you, I no longer look in the death notices of the paper. So what made me go on-line yesterday and look at the death notices? Your name jumped out at me like a neon sign. As I read the details of the notice, I realised your funeral was that very day, yesterday 15.4.14 and I had missed it. i would have gone, because you meant so much to my learning about learning... I have a heavy heart today, as I remember you, your family, your spirit...was it you Jono, that put that thought into my head to look at the notices?...Maybe it was Mum, or Carmen, who both knew you

I will get in touch with your family and update them on where I am and what I`m doing.

So I salute you Jono Pyper, and thank you for helping me to be the teacher, and person I am today, working with those, who like you, think and learn differently.

RIP Jono.,

Love,

Wendy:(xxo

Article posted January 26, 2014 at 04:52 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 455

Yahoooooooo! Back to school for another term. Can`t wait. I will work in classes and have ESOL (English as a second language) students under my care. Hopefully, I`ll still have the school council and the radio.

Bring it on...

Shame, shame, shame.

I can`t even look at a photo of you Mrs Watchorn, because I feel like a traitor! I can`t believe I have not posted anything on this blog for ssoooo long!

Interesting year...spent most of my time in with the year 6 students, working on written language in an effort to lift the achievement levels of children regarded as behind others. Our aim has been to accelerate them past the levels of others... They have certainly elevated their levels of skills to those of others thus accomplishing half of the aim.

Have worked 1-1 daily, with an autistic lad on his literacy. Fascinating to watch how he learns and interacts with me as we `trudge the road of happy destiny.`

Looking forward to the remainder of the school year, prior to the holidays.

On Monday 11 February, we said our goodbyes to one of our DP`s, Kathryn Collins, at the young age of 38. K. has been at Lynmore for 12 years, first of all as a teacher from the UK, in a year 3 class, then Senior teacher, then AP and this year she would have been one of our two DP`s. K. was a big-hearted, smiling, positive person, who was great to be with. She loved music and took the choir here at school for several years. Her organisational skills were impeccable, as was her appearance and demeanour. She was blessed with great people skills, which are so important to have in management, always mindful of how decisions would affect people - the staff, in particular. She was so resolute in her determination to fight the bowel cancer she was diagnosed as having, in January, 2011. An operation followed by chemo, help for some months, however, in July 2012, it came "roaring back". Intensive chemo prolonged her life for the rest of 2012, however, she passed on, on 28 January, 2013. K had a faith and faced her end with amazing courage. The world is slightly dented, with her passing. Kathryn did leave us at Lynmore, with a legacy. From her, I learnt to put on a happy, smiling face, even in dior times, to live simply, being part of a wonderful whole, having fun and enjoying the company of others, striving to improve my learning and in particular, my teaching. Every Daffodil Day, the last Friday in August, for the last 22 years, I have dressed up as a Daffodil, along with my mate Jules, and raised funds for the Cancer society of NZ. I have a photo of friends who have passed on from this disease, on my green dress. I will have another photo on my dress come August this year.

Been teaching with children for 42 years - N.E. to Year 10. Working with assisting learners with literacy and numeracy skills, from Year 3-6. This year, have picked up the teaching of children who are migrants or children of migrants to New Zealand. Locations of visitors to this page http://bit.ly/askSKR6http://bit.ly/askSKR6http://bit.ly/askSKR6

YoWindow.com Forecast by yr.no