Copyright (c) 2014 by Jill Feine Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jill Feine -- Blogmeister

The place where kids can come and get all of the information they need, and all of the books they would want to read!

by Jill Feine

Batavia City Schools
JK Library Media Center
Mr. Reagan's Blog
Once Upon a Time Wiki
JK Fish 4 Info
4th/5th Blog Sites
Mrs. Murray's Blog
Miss Phillip's Musings
Mr. Vanderwerf's Blog
Parking Games

Article posted August 27, 2012 at 12:56 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 1038

We are thrilled to welcome second, third and fourth grade students from all over Batavia to the John Kennedy library.  We have a huge collection, with all of the books that you would like to read!  You can stop in at any time (during the school day, with teacher's permission- before or after school just stop in!) and borrow books.  This year second graders will be able to borrow 2 items, third graders 3 items and fourth graders 4 items.  This includes books, DVDs, VHS tapes, books on tape/CD, Playaways (grades 3 and 4) and magazines.  You don't have to wait til library day - just bring your stuff back, and we will be happy to see you.

Parents are also welcome to stop in and borrow books.  We have a small parent collection as well as a great fiction and nonfiction collection for kids. We have spend much of the summer consolidating the libraries to service our new age population, and hope that you and your children will enjoy the new collections.  Hope to see you soon!

Ms. Feine, Mrs. Oliver and Mrs. Cummings

Try
Imagination Cubed! to draw some cool stuff with your mouse!

Make your own cool graphics out of words by using Typogenerator.

Need a photo? Check out Pics for Learning.

Create something and post it to your own blog.  (Don't forget to add it to comments below with a link so we can all check it out!)

Article posted September 15, 2010 at 01:31 PM GMT0 • comment (18) • Reads 132

At the beginning of every school year, we try to review the rules of the library and in the classroom. We are beginning to use many new Web 2.0 tools like wikis and blogs.

Because of all of these new tools, it is ESSENTIAL that we develop rules to ensure that students stay safe, that we are all respectful of each other, and that we can find accurate and valid information when we are using the internet.

So, let's develop a list of "guidelines" or "rules" that we're going to use when using the internet, and any other "cyber" tools that we have. Write your rule as a comment to this post below, and let's start creating a safe world for everyone!

Article posted September 13, 2010 at 12:24 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 132

Welcome back to John Kennedy!  We are looking forward to an exciting new year with lots of opportunities to learn, read and enjoy!  A welcome to our new Library Clerk - Mrs. Shormann, who will be working with us in the library.  This year we also have the addition of over 40 wireless laptops, which are for students use and we hope will be used extensively in classrooms.  Our building has been wired with wireless access points, so a signal is accessible from any location within our building.  Please remember to return your summer reading books, which every students in grades 1-4 received at the end of last year.  Fifth graders from last year should also remember to return their summer reading book to Mrs. HInkson at the middle school.  We have received lots of new books, including graphic novels, fiction books, and some exciting non fiction books!  Please stop by every day to take out a book.

Article posted August 19, 2010 at 08:28 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 59

Summer is winding down, and hopefully many of you have been reading this summer!  The Richmond Library's Summer Reading Program will be ending, and there are some exciting activities to enjoy.  Stop by the JK Library Homepage to vote on your favorite book character (go to the bottom of the page).  And, don't forget to return your summer reading book and reading log during the first week of school. 

The best book I read this summer was The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.   It was a really engrossiing story with an intriguing mystery that skipped back and forth in time, but was easy to follow and a wonderful read.  If you'd like, post a comment about any good books that you've read this summer -it's one of the most reliable ways to learn about great books to read!

Enjoy the rest of your summer and Keep On Reading!

Article posted April 28, 2010 at 11:37 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 198

It's almost Spring of 2010!  The weather is getting better, the sun is shining, and all of our students are gearing up for projects!  There's a lot going on here for you to explore!

• Grade 2 students are doing Bear Reports- using the 2nd Grade Bear Wiki, our students are writing reports, and then creating audio podcasts uploaded to the Bear Wiki.  Visit the Bear Wiki and listen to the 2010 productions!

• Our first grade students will be doing animal reports soon.  Teaming with fourth and fifth grade students, first graders learn to read a book and then take notes of facts about their assigned animals.  Watch for pictures!

• Third graders are doing country research projects using printed as well as online resources.  They will be presenting their research to parents in early June.  Watch the website for pictures and information.

• Fourth graders are involved in a variety of projects.  Several fourth graders are writing book reviews on the JK Fish 4 Info Site - student write reviews and recommendations for books that they have enjoyed.

• Fifth graders are getting into the Fifth Grade Exit Project - Famous Americans!  Their work and projects will be showcased on the Famous Americans Wiki - Take a look!

• Our School is involved in PBIS - Positive Behavior Intervention - and our first initiative produced  our "Hallway Hero" video.  Take a look on the PBIS page!

Article posted March 1, 2010 at 02:20 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 82

Listen to the stories

All of our student storytellers created podcasts to help them learn their stories.  Listen to our student storytellers by visiting their teacher's Storytelling Webpages:

Mrs. Ditzel's Storytellers

Mrs. Dobbertin's Storytellers

Mrs. Wiedrich's Storytellers

Mrs. Bigsby's Storytellers

Mrs. Dawson's Storytellers

Miss Severino's Storytellers

Mrs. Murray's Storytellers

Miss Phillips Storytellers

Mr. Reagan's Storytellers

Article posted January 20, 2010 at 03:35 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 59

The time has come, once again, for us to explore the fabulous world of Storytelling!  Every student in 3d, 4th and 5th grade will be reading and selecting stories to tell in the next few weeks.  Our school classroom performances will be the last week in February, so that our school representatives will be ready to attend the BOCES Area Wide Storytelling Festival on March 18th in Pavilion.  Student storytellers can explore some great storytelling resources at the following sites:

The Kid's Storytelling Club

Beauty and the Beast Storytellers- lots of resources, videos and podcasts here!

Story Cove - find some great stories and videos here.

If you are a student storyteller, and have some advice for your classmates, leave your recommendations below in a comment to help our your fellow students!

Article posted September 11, 2009 at 12:33 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 125

Here's a great online tool for recording audio to the web, and then posting it online. I couldn't believe how fabulously easy this was!

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog