Copyright (c) 2016 by Nancy Crosby Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Nancy Crosby -- Blogmeister

Mrs. Crosby's Class-

Mrs. Crosby's 5th Grade

5th grade class learning with technology.

by Nancy Crosby

Mr. Crosby's Class Blog
Other Blogs for Comments

Hi!

We are from Mrs. Crosby’s Intro to Media class at Depoali Middle School and we need your help! We need your hopes!!!! The High Hopes Project has asked us to collect your hopes so they can be sent up to space in a high altitude weather balloon. Your hope will then peacefully float down to the ground.

If you go to our school you can write your hope on a piece of paper and can deposit it in one of the boxes in various places around the school. If you are not at our school then post your high hope at our wiki page at [LINK] using the link titled High Hopes Entry.

You can also follow us on twitter @DMSHighHopes and/or on Instagram @HighHopes_Project and we will soon have a YouTube video up! Make sure you tell your friends and family about this project and help us grow. Thank you so much for helping us and we can’t wait to hear your hope!

Article posted December 13, 2015 at 09:46 PM GMT0 • comment (40) • Reads 6317

I just changed jobs moving from 5th grade at an elementary school to teaching math and science to 6th graders in a middle school environment. Students at my new school are allowed to chew gum which has been a big change of attitude for me as I have spent the last 20 years of teaching telling elementary students that they may not chew gum. I know that the 6th graders are excited to be able to chew gum whenever but I'm curious to know what 6th graders think in terms of whether chewing gum helps them academically and, if so, how (with proof/evidence/research). Let me know what you think . . .

Article posted June 3, 2015 at 04:26 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 7177

All the 5th grade classes at our school had the great opportunity to learn about the ecosystem (NGS standard) at Camp WeChMe in the Galena Forest through Great Basin Institute. Not only did we hike, play games and participate in activities but we stayed overnight at their lodge. As a teacher I try to come up with active, viable science lessons but nothing can come close to having students learn those same lessons out in the forest with knowledgable naturalists. In addition to the superb educational experience, it was wonderful to have the students spend the night and enjoy the social and independent aspects that came with this field trip. I highly recommend to any and all teachers that if you can provide the truly hands-on experience of an overnight field trip, go for it!

Please check out the blogs posted by my students with their own reflections. Thanks!

Using your character traits notes from My Side of the Mountain. Answer one of the following questions on your blog.

Pick one of the character traits you took notes on (must be one that you found examples of in ALL 4 sections) and choose one of the following to compare with yourself.

1. Choose a character trait (as noted above) that Sam had in the book that you believe you also have. Show why you think this utilizing the examples (there were 4) for Sam and showing examples (4???) for yourself.

or

2. Choose a character trait (as noted above) that Sam had in the book that you wish you also had (but you think you do not). Show why you think Sam has this trait utilizing the examples (there were 4) and show examples (4???) of why you think you do not have this trait.

If you could be a “modern day explorer” what and/or where would you want to explore. Why would you choose this and what might the world gain from your explorations? Be thorough and detailed (and don’t forget to look over your writing carefully!).

Article posted September 29, 2014 at 04:36 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 1197

Read the article called “The Vomit Comet.” Submit a blog post telling what the “Vomit Comet” is making sure to include what its purpose is. Would you want to ride on the “Vomit Comet” and tell us why or why not using details from the article to support your opinion? What kind of experiment would you want to do on the “Vomit Comet (connect it to Lauren)?

Article posted September 6, 2014 at 11:14 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 1967

Tell about a time that something funny happened to you or your family. Make sure it makes sense to anyone that reads it (which means to thoroughly explain it so we don't have any questions).

Article posted August 18, 2014 at 12:58 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 1305

Write about a nickname (meaty paragraph) that you have or have had during your life. Explain who gave you the nickname, what it meant and whether or not you liked it and why. If you’ve never had a nickname, what might one be and why?

Article posted May 31, 2014 at 11:16 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 2448

Similar to what we read in A View from Saturday, describe a day you've had in your life that you would want to live over. Explain why you chose that day.

Article posted May 12, 2014 at 12:32 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 1274

What types of connections do you see or can you make between the following 5 words?

teamwork

soul

kindness

diversity

risk

Explain thoroughly with details so that anyone (especially the "village idiot") will know what you mean and what you are thinking. Give examples?

Mrs. Crosby
Mrs. Crosby - Alumni