Copyright (c) 2014 by Milagros Henriquez-Santiago Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Milagros Henriquez-Santiago -- Blogmeister

The Celebrities of Room 28- A Penny For Your Thoughts!-

Mrs. Henriquez-Santiago - Grade 2 Blog

We are the student writers of a 2nd grade transitional bilingual class in New York. We are using this blog as a resource to help strengthen our writing skills through self-expression, opinions, and communication of topics that we are learning about and exploring in the classroom.

by Milagros Henriquez-Santiago

Westbury School District
Mrs. Henriquez-Santiago's eBoard
Our Class Website
Miss Thaggard-Grade 2-Savannah,GA
Mrs. Bashour First Grade-Riad Solh, Beirut, Lebanon
Mrs. Bashour 2nd Grade-Riad Solh, Beirut, Lebanon
Room 6 Kapiti Primary School New Zealand

Article posted December 6, 2010 at 05:06 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 488

http://www.cune.edu/about/5297/topstories/newspictures/11783.jpghttp://www.mediabistro.com/unbeige/files/original/dailymonsterbook2.jpg

What inspires you?  Well if you ask us that question our answer would be MONSTERS.  Our school's art teacher, Mrs. J.,  introduced the artist Stefan G. Bucher to my students a few weeks ago. We were instantly hooked.

Stafan Bucher is a writer, graphic designer, and an illustrator.  He is also the creator of an online animation series called The Daily Monster.  For 100 days he filmed himself drawing a new monster from random ink blots and uploaded them to his blog.  Those who visited his site named and posted stories about each monster on the blog.  His clips got so popular that they have been downloaded over a million times and are now collected in a book called "100 Days of Monsters." 

After a few tries of using his style of turning seemingly boring, random ink blots into fasinating creatures we started to ask ourselves, Who is this guy?  How did he come up with this idea?  We decidde to email him to see if he would like to video conference with us through Skype.  When he agreed we were so excited.  Our video conference took place on Thursday, December 2nd at 2:00pm (EST).  Since Mr. Bucher lives in California he had to wake up early just to Skype with us (sorry ).  He was GREAT=http://! He told us stories, gave us tips, and answered all of our questions. He even created a brand new monster just for us while we were talking together.   Thank you sooooo much, Mr. Bucher.  We love your monsters and can't wait to see what you do next.

If you'd like to see our MONSTERly inspired creations or post a story about them, you can do so below. 

Article posted September 28, 2009 at 12:16 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 52

Hello Boys and Girls,

Today I want you to use the web 2.0 tool Wellwisher to post your Hispanic Pride.  We have been studying about Hispanic heritage and I would like you to show hispanic pride by telling the world what your heritage is and why you are proud of it.

Article posted September 28, 2009 at 12:05 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 52

Welcome students of the 2009 -2010 school year to our class blog!  This year you will be learning and experiencing many new and exciting things.  Part of our journey as a 21st century classroom is to blog about our experiences.  This is the place where you will share your thoughts, ideas, and feelings about learning adventures.  I know that this year will be a fun and rewarding experience foe all of you and I hope you take chances, reach for the stars, and have blast!

Article posted December 11, 2008 at 03:50 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 63

Dear Students:

During workshop today, I'd like you to use Kidspiration3 to illustrate a pair of  antonyms.  Then write a sentence using those antonyms.  Last, record your voice reading the sentence you created.  Use capitals and punctuation marks correctly.  Use your best spelling. Look at the sample below that we created together to help you.  Remember, I will be uploading these to your blogs, so do  your best.                                                                                            

Sincerely,

Mrs. Henriquez-Santiago 

Article posted November 27, 2008 at 01:00 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 63

Click on the students' names on the right under the title Ms.Santiago '08-'09 to read some exciting reviews about the new Walt Disney movie Bolt!

Article posted October 31, 2008 at 10:33 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 49

Click to play Halloween 2008
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

Article posted October 14, 2008 at 10:14 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 62

file:///Users/milagroshenriquez-santiago/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.jpg" target="_blank">file:///Users/milagroshenriquez-santiago/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.jpg" alt="" />file:///Users/milagroshenriquez-santiago/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.jpg" target="_blank">file:///Users/milagroshenriquez-santiago/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.jpg" alt="" />

We live in the greatest country in the world- the United States of America!  Did you know that there are 50 states in the USA?  Can you name them all?  This year we're going to learn the names, locations, and facts about all 50 states.  That's quite an adventure we have ahead of us.  To help with this learning adventure, we've joined forces with 130 K-3 classes across the USA .  We will be sending and receiving postcards by mail and electronically to our new friends.  We will be teaching them about Westbury, Long Island, and New York, while they will teach us about their state.  Sweden, India, Russia, and Ireland have also joined our mailing list.  We only have until January 30th!

To see who we've recieved postcards from, remember to check our wiki each week:

http://ourlearningadventures.pbwiki.com/Postcard+Geography

Article posted October 14, 2008 at 09:41 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 52

OurSeptView What a view! Check out the beautiful view from our classroom window. It is the atrium in middle of our school and we are lucky because our windows look out into the atrium. For our first learning adventure we will be participating in a year-long online collaborative project with other classes around the US. We will be posting a photo of the view from our classroom each month. We will use adjectives to describe our view. We will be able to see how our view changes with the different seasons and also watch to see what other classes see out of their windows during the year. Do you think their views will be like ours? Do you think the weather is the same all over the USA? We'll find the answers to these questions as we begin to share our views. If you'd like to see the views of our friends in other states, please go to our class wiki:

http://ourlearningadventures.pbwiki.com/About

Click on the words "A Room With A View."

Article posted October 14, 2008 at 09:29 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 51

Welcome class of 2008/2009. Are you ready to begin a new journey? A journey full of adventure and discovery. I have a lot of fun surprises planned for this year and we will be sharing those adventures with new friends all around the world. This year we have a Smartboard in our classroom and will be using even more technology to help us learn than we did last year. We are 21st century learners! This is our blog. It is our little space on the world wide web where we can express ourselves. Each week we will be blogging about our learning adventures. It's fun to share our voice with the world. So, I hope your ready for something new. Get ready, set, BLOG!

Article posted June 17, 2008 at 11:48 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

Yesterday we went to Fun Station, USA in Lynbrook. It was lots of fun. There were so many rides and games. Tell us about your day at Fun Station, USA.

Article posted May 22, 2008 at 12:07 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 56

We learned that some insects change as they grow into adults. This is called metamorphosis. Here are some pictures of us and a video of our Painted Lady Butterflies and the changes they went through during metamorphosis. After viewing the video, blog about our butterfly experience.

A Butterfly's Story from Milagros Henriquez-Santiago on Vimeo.

Article posted May 15, 2008 at 11:08 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

Learning about insects sure is fun and we have many insect visitors in our classroom. We have ants, crickets, and caterpillars which will soon turn into butterflies. Tell what you've learned about the largest animal class in the world----insects!

Animations - ant-01

Animations - butterfly-02

Article posted May 15, 2008 at 11:05 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 32

As we begin our next science unit on animal classes we will begin with fish. Fish are wondrous animals. There are so many different kinds of fish in the world. After learning what characteristics fish have can you tell what makes a fish a fish.

Article posted May 15, 2008 at 10:58 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

Sunday, May 11, 2008 is Mother's Day. It is a time when we celebrate the special women in our lives who take love and care for us. Moms are not the only ones that are part of this special day, you could dedicate this day to an older sister, aunt, grandmother, or step-mother too.

zwani.com myspace graphic comments
Myspace Comments

Article posted April 30, 2008 at 02:11 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 49

I'm as tall as a giraffe. I'm as strong as a bull. I'm as smart as a fox. I'm as cuddly as a bear. Put it all together, and you've got ME!

Article posted April 30, 2008 at 12:10 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

Have you ever been told that you swim like a fish, eat like a pig, or are as quiet as a mouse? What do these statements means? These statements are called similes. A simile is a statement that compares two different things using the words "like" and "as". Think of the story we read entitled "Quick As A Cricket" by Audrey Woods. In the story the boy used similes to compare himself to his favorite animals. In this week's blog I'd like you to write four similes comparing youself to four different animals. Remember to use you best spelling and punctuation.

Quick As A Cricket-Audry Wood

Article posted April 11, 2008 at 06:38 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

It's Beach Day here at Park Avenue School and our hall is learning about the wonderful world of whales. There are many different kinds of whales that our hallway studied. Which whale is your favorite? Look at these photos about whales from our hallway, "Whale Watch Point," before you make your decision. Then blog about it in your webblog.

Article posted March 28, 2008 at 01:50 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

We are junior paleontologists! A paleontologist is a person who studies fossils to learn about dinosaurs and other ancient animals. Look at this short photo montage of us "digging for dinosaur fossils." Then write about this experience in your blog.

Article posted March 14, 2008 at 08:27 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 38

Hello Boys and Girls! Today is an exciting day because we will begin our unit study about dinosaurs and the mesozoic era. Before we begin to become junior paleontologists, I'd like to know how much you already know about this topic. This week you will blog about 3 things that you know about dinosaurs and 2 things that you'd like to learn about dinosaurs. To get us into the dino frame of mind take a look at this short clip from the movie Dinosaur by Walt Disney.

Article posted March 7, 2008 at 12:56 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

Ni Hao, Boys and Girls,

To end our unit of study on Asia and Chinese New Year we went to a Chinese buffet called Wok-N-Roll yesterday. We had such a great time talking, laughing, and trying different Chinese dishes. This week I'd like you to blog about that experience. Try to put a lot of detail into your writing.

Article posted February 13, 2008 at 05:27 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

As we simulated backpacking through Europe we got a chance to see all the beautiful cities and sites of Europe. This week I would like you to blog about this experience. Which was your favorite European country: London, England; Paris, France; Frankfurt, Germany; or Rome, Italy and why? Would you like to really backpack through Europe one day? Why or why not?

Article posted February 8, 2008 at 11:42 AM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 37

http://www.ProfessionalAnimations.com" target="_blank">http://www.ProfessionalAnimations.com">Animations - 100dollar-02

On February 14, we will celebrate Valentine's Day and the 100th Day of School. Can you believe that we have been in second grade for 100 days? We will participate in many activities that are about the number 100. To get ready for this day, I want you to blog about what you would do if you had 100 dollars. Would you save it or spend it? If you saved it, what would you save it for? How would you spend the money? What would you buy? **Remember to use words in the future tense when you write.** I am so proud of the work you've done so far. Your writing has greatly improved. I can't wait to read what you post.

Article posted February 1, 2008 at 08:41 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 35

Animations - astronaut1

This week we read about some of America's first pioneers. We learned that a pioneer is a person who goes first or does something first, and so prepares the way for others to follow. We read about the pioneers of long ago who helped settle the west, Johnny Appleseed, and Daniel Boone. Astronauts are the pioneers of today. They are the first to lead the way and explore outer space. Would you like to be an astronaut? Why or why not? Watch this short clip about astronauts and then answer the question above in your blog.

Article posted January 25, 2008 at 12:39 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

The Amazon Jungle in South America is the largest rainforest in the world. It is home to many plants and animals. But people are cutting its trees down every day! Watch the following video clip about what is happening to rainforests around the world. In today's blog answer these questions: 1)Why is it important to save the rainforest? 2)What would happen if it were completely cut down?

Article posted January 18, 2008 at 08:38 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 33

Hello Boys and Girls,

After learning about the Great Barrier Reef off the coast of Australia we were lucky enough to get two large octopus specimens to observe. I would like to know your thoughts about the experience of observing and touching the octopus.

Article posted January 13, 2008 at 10:21 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 80

Hello, Boys and Girls! During or study of the world's continents we've learned that both Africa and Antarctica have deserts. These deserts are very different. A desert is an area of land that gets less than 10 inches of rain per year.

If you could choose a desert to visit, would it be the dusty Sahara Desert of Africa or the frozen desert of Antarctica? Blog about which desert you would like to travel to see and tell why.

African Desert

Antarctic Desert

Article posted January 6, 2008 at 09:37 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Hello Students! This week we are going to begin to blog. What's a blog? Well, a blog (web log) is a way that you can share your thoughts and ideas with people in our class, in our school, and other classrooms all over the world! It's just like our journal writing. The only difference is that I will not be the only person writing back. Anyone who reads your writing can leave you a message. This is called a "comment". They can be someone in our class, in our school or in another school in another country. How cool is that! I hope that you will all enjoy using our blog page!

Article posted January 6, 2008 at 09:16 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 36

Welcome to Mrs. Henriquez-Santiago's 2nd Grade Classroom. This is my first time having a classroom blog. We'll be learning this process together as the year progresses. Your comments and suggestions are welcome. I look forward to using this new digital technology as both a learning and communication tool.

Class of 2009-2010
Mrs. Henriquez-Santiago - Grade 2 Blog
Ms. Santiago 08-09
Stars of 2010-2011

Welcome! My name is Mrs. Henriquez-Santiago and I am second grade bilingual teacher on Long Island in New York.

href="http://www3.clustrmaps.com/counter/maps.php?url=http://classblog.com" id="clustrMapsLink">Locations of visitors to this page