Copyright (c) 2014 by Mrs. Gatz Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mrs. Gatz -- Blogmeister

The DWMS Blog Spot-

Mrs. Gatz

Doniphan West Middle School Computer Classes

by Mrs. Gatz

Mrs. Martwark 6/7 Class Blog
Ms. Wood 5/6 Blog
South Paris Collaborative
Shannon Ruskin Blog
Room 2 Almighty Bloggers
Ms. Lowe's Class
Our Class Website
Mr. Gonzalez
Top Dogs Blog
Ch. 9-11 Please Stop Laughting Blog A
Ch. 9-11 Please Stop Laughting Blog A

Title: Chapter 9-11 Discussion Reflection (01/26/10)
Description: Create three blogs that address the following questions:

Blog A: What student generated question created the most discussion and justify? (4-5 sentence)

Blog B: What topics of discussion did your group agree and disagree on? Justify your answer. (4-5 sentences)

Blog C: What topic would you like to have discussed more? Explain. (2-3 sentences)

In the chapter titled Unexpected Haven jodde goes to the college for an English workshop. All the people that are there are misfits and jodde dose not get picked on. She meets a boy named tom and finds out that he is a bully and picks on little kids but in the end they kiss

I think that the author gave chapter ten the title freak show is because Jodee decided to start taking P.E and all the girls saw her deformity and they made fun of her and called her a freak. Jodee was trying to hide it but one day Jodee got to P.E to late.

Blog A

What student created questions in your group generated the most discussion and justify.

One of the discussion questions we talked about as a group was “Why do you think out of all the times does Jodee father want them to get closer now?” Our opinion all ended up in the same category which was we thought that Jodee’s father finally realized that there is an issue and Jodee needs both her Mom and Dad. We also thought that he might have realized that this was his daughter and he can’t let his daughter down. In conclusion we think that Jodee felt much better after they had got closer, she feels as if its not just pain and grief bring them together but love.

I think that chapter nine is titled Discovering Atlantis because Jodde is at a new place where people don’t make fun of her. She is discovering life without people hitting her or talking bad about her. She met friends that like her for who she is and don’t make fun of her. she is having the time of her life.

Blog C: Which student created questions- would you like to have spent more time discussing and why?

A question I would like to discuss is why she is the one everyone went after?

The reason I think she was bullied the most was because she never stuck up for herself. But she stuck up for everybody else who got bullied therefore it made it even worse. I guess the bullies just thought defending someone else made you not cool. If you did they would either ignore you or bully you.

Blog B: What student created questions-did your group agreed upon and justify?

Our group agreed that Jodee would be better off in Greece on the island. She had way more friends on the island than at her school. I think that if she had the choice to live on the island, she would. That way she couldn’t get hurt by anyone.

What student created questions-did your group agree upon and justify?

Our group disagreed on whether or not she should switch schools. I said that she shouldn’t because then it would give her bullys the satisfaction knowing they hurt her. The only way to not do that is to not show your hurt and to not run away.

But part of my group said that she should switch schools so that she wouldn’t get bullied anymore. I just think if she did she would just get bullied again.

Blog A: What student created question in your group generated the most discussion and justify.

One topic of discussion was why Jodee felt so comfortable showing her body to Niko. One student said when she was around him he made her feel at home and like she was part of them family. Around him Jodee did not feel like an outsider she feels like she is part of him. Another student said they would have felt very nervous but they understand why it did not really bother her. Niko did not want a sexual relationship like what most guys would want he was just a true friend that did not see a problem. Most guys would notice it right away and they would make fun of her but not Niko, he may have noticed the problem but he did not spot it out.

Another topic of discussion was why Jodee did not feel out of place when she went on the collage trip. One student said because when she was there everyone was her type, at their school those kids were also outsiders and they also got picked on by the school bullies. The kids there understood her because they knew what she was going through. Another student said basically the same thing but they said that she could release the hurt that she had on the inside because with them they had the same problems so they could work together to figure out the problems.

·       Which student created questions you would like to have spent more time on?

A question I would have liked to spend more time on was why Jodee wanted to take Greek lessons? The reason I wanted to spend more time on this question was because the only thing they had said was, “because she wanted to.” But I would have said something like because she wanted to be able to talk to her friends and it’s a really cool language and she enjoys it.  

Blog B

What student created questions did your group agreed or disagreed upon and justify.

The question that our group agreed on was if it was right that Jodee went to Santorini? All of the people in my discussion group all agreed that it was right, and agreed that it was good for her. We thought that it would help her get through all the times she was going through, and everything that was going on with her life at the moment. Since she went to Santorini we knew that the people in Santorini would not know about her deformity and we thought that would be really good for her.

What student created questions did your group disagreed upon and justify?

Our group all disagreed on the discussion question “Do you think Jodee’s High School opportunities will get better?” We all thought that they won’t. The school all knows her weaknesses and they don’t need her to become more popular. Really they do because they make fun of her and when they make fun of her more people think they are cool to do it too. Most of the school hates her and she would have to do a lot to show she is more than a dummy just standing around that she is a person like them.

Blog C

Which student created questions would you like to have spent more time discussing and why?

A question I want to talk more about is “Is Ann just being another one of those mean girls or she actually a true friend?” I would like to spend more time on that question because over all the years Jodee has been made fun of what she thought was her friends and they are the ones that did all that bullying, and we were all thinking that it might happen again we wanted to really talk about the outcome of that situation.

Blog A Chp. 9.

1-Q. Why did Jodee show Niko her problem?

Jodee showed Niko her problem because she thought he might not understand why she was being taunted at school. Niko was a good friend and she thought he might be able to help.

2-Q. Why did Jodee feel so bad before she came to Santorini and how does she feel now?

She fell in to a deep depuration and she would not have come out of it if her father had not asked her to. Now she feels that she can go back to the retched school and take their threats and there torment.

Blog B Chp. 10.

1-Q. If Jodee met Annie before all the things that happened in the gym, what do u think would have happened differently?

If Jodee met Annie before this gym thing happened would not have happened because she would have known what might have happened. If she met Annie she might have talked to the teachers so that she can have not have taken gym.

2-Q. Why will Jodee not transfers to a different school, and if she did what might happen?

She will not run away from all this because she feels that she can bet them. If she does it probably follow here to here new school and she will be not able to escape it.

Blog C Chp. 11.

1-Q. If you where Jodee would you of gone to Workshop in the Eastern.

Yes I would but not for the help but to learn how to right correctly and to find help. But all thou if I had to go I would go to have help from friends

2-Q. If you where Tim, would you have read the Journal and why?

Yes I would have but not to make every one mad at me but to show how or why I have been cool or how I sated cool. If I didn’t I would have let the others read it but if I were to read it I would have shut the book and walked away.

Blog A

·       What student created questions in your group generated the most discussion and justify?

One topic of discussion was, why would Jodee show Niko her chest problem? One student had said, “Jodee knew he didn’t want a sexual relationship.” Niko just wanted her trust and to be friends and nothing more. Another student had said that most girls have a lot of guy friends because guys don’t spread rumors like girls do, like gossip. 

Another topic of discussion was, why do you think out all of times Jodee’s dad wants to bring her and her mom closer? One student had said was that Jodee needed a lot of support for what she was going through. Another student had said Jodee needed someone other than her mom to have the love and support she needs to be healthy.

Blog C what student created questions your group disagreed upon and justify

We disagreed on if Jodee should have joined P.E. Some said no because they would discover her secret and would make fun of her. Another topic we disagreed on was if those kids from the essay competition at the college changed after their trip. Some said no they probably will never change after being bullied and pushed around. Some said yes it might of changed and gained more confidence and faced their bullies.

Blog B What student created questions your group agreed upon justify?

One person said do you think it was the right thing when jodee stood up for those kid in the hallway. We agreed no because it just gave them another way to pick on her. The kids made fun of her and made rude comments about her. Another topic we agreed on was do you think Jodee should go to another school. We agreed no because she need to stay and let them know she’s not going to take it. Find some new friends that wont abandon her and make fun of her.

Blog A What student created questions in your group generated the most discussion and justify?

One topic of discussion was what do you think was wrong with every thing Jodee did? My group said that it’s because the kids could see the fear in her and took advantage of it and made fun of her. We also said that the kids didn’t like how she stood up for every one that they were picking on. Another topic of discussion was do you think that jodee has more confidence after the trip to the island? One student said yes because the boy from the island said she was beautiful. Another said yeah because she is doing more things instead of sitting around and doing nothing feeling sorry for her self.

Blog A: What student created questions in your group generated the most discussion and justify?

One topic of discussion was why did Jodee want to join gym class with her problem she had? We said that she would want to because she wanted to be normal. She also wanted to because she didn’t want to be the outcast and sit out on the bleachers. We all thought that she was doing the right thing by not joining gym because she would just be bullied even more.

Another student said that if she had more confidence it would be a good idea, but because of her past her confidence is going downhill almost everyday. Only because of the people around her, she feels insecure about herself. Her friends in Greece think otherwise because they accepted her for who she is. Which I think brought her confidence up.  

Blog C-

·        Which student created questions that you would have liked to have spent more time discussing and why?(2-3)

I created one of the questions that I would liked to have discussed longer. The question that I would have liked to have spent more time discussing, would be (How do you think Jodee felt when she was in Greece?)The reason I wanted to discuss this question longer, is because I think that there are many different ways that you could/can discuss about how Jodee felt while she was in Greece. For instance, at the beginning of her trip to Greece, Jodee was nervous about going, and wasn’t sure if she really wanted to, but after staying in Greece for awhile, Jodee changed her mind, and ended up enjoying and wanting to stay in Greece.

What student created questions in your group generated the most discussion and justify?

Blog C: Which student created questions would you like to have spent more time discussing and why?

A question that I would have liked to spend more time talking on was when we were talking about when Jodee showed Niko her deformity. This topic generated so much conversation we probably could stayed on that for half of the time. The reason this topic generated so much conversation is because we could all relate to it and we all had our own personal feelings about it.

Blog C Chapter 11

Q-1. Do you think Jodee will get home sick and want to go home from Eastern Illinois University? I think Jodee will want to go home because she will say something wrong and then Diana and the other kids will bully her. Diana is friendly and nice and she sounded glad that she was roommates with Jodee so didn’t Jodee. She’s gets dressed in the bathroom because she don’t wont Diana to see her deformed boob. Jodee is glad that Christmas break was her and her family loves holidays they decorate ever thing and each of them are in charged to decorate something in the house.

Q-2. Do you think people at Eastern Illinois University will bully Jodee? Yes because she always gets bullied and she will probably say something mean to the students and they will not forgive her and bully her.        

Blog A-    

·        What student created questions in your group generated the most discussion and justify?

I think that Payton created questions in our group that generated the most discussion, because if we started to get off track she would try and get the discussion back onto the topic that we had started to discuss. Another reason that I thought that she helped during our discussions, was because it seemed that she was always willing to ask another question when the other members in our group were running out of questions, getting somewhat off of track, or getting ready to answer a question.  

One topic of discussion was in chapter 11, was when Jodee’s parents felt sorry for Jodee, because she was a misfit and her parents thought that at every school that she went to, it was always the same, Jodee always got bullied at every school, the teachers wouldn’t stand up to the bullies, and she ended up going to a lot of schools. While we were discussing this topic, several people in the group said that they were glad that they didn’t have to go through what Jodee did, because they said that they probably wouldn’t stand around and just let the bullies bully them around, they would probably fight back to try to stop the bullies from hurting them any more than they might have.

How do you think Jodee felt about being a misfit?

One student said that they would feel sorry and or bad about being a misfit, because they wouldn’t want their parents to feel sorry for them, and think that it was their fault that their child was a misfit. They also said how they would talk to their parents and let their parents know that it wasn’t their fault, and to not blame themselves. The group member thought that if their parents were feeling sorry for them like Jodee’s, then their parents wouldn’t just stand around and let their child be bullied. Instead, their parents would tell an adult at the school, and ask them why the adult wouldn’t stand up for their child, and if the administrator didn’t warn the bully to stop bullying the child or talk to the bully, then the adult would be letting the bully get away with hurting someone else, and the victim of the bullying would probably keep getting bullied until the bully injured the victim seriously. 

Another student said that they would feel like it wasn’t their parents fault, because they said that it was their fault, because it’s up to you to make your own decisions and talk to others around you.

Blog B: What Student created questions did your group agreed upon and justify?

Our group agreed that we would never show our chest area to a man that we did not know very well.  We agreed that Jodee was worried she would get picked on again by showing her deformity. Another topic we agreed on was Jodee was very brave to go into the locker and change in front of the other girls also to shower in front of the other girls and risk being made fun of for her deformity. I personally don’t understand why those girls are making fun of Jodee. They are making fun of her for a deformity  and other problems she might have or just being different when everybody has something they don’t like about there body and everybody has a problem of there own nobody is the same and that’s what is so special about people.

Our group disagreed when somebody brought up the subject of going back to the school or staying in Santorini. Part of our group thought she should go back to her school and stand up for herself and not give up. We disagreed when someone in my group asked if  Jodee should of gone to that essay cocmpetition at the college. We were all worried since some of the people would be older they would of made fun of her. When she got to the college and we found out that that place was a very good place for her to meet good friends.

Blog A: What student created in your group generated the most discussion and justify?

One topic of discussion was when Kim asked “Why do you think Jodee felt safe telling Niko about her problem”. This question brought up alot of discussion because everybody thought differently about it. But ultimately we agreed on that Jodee could tell her problem to Niko was because she could finally trust some one again and wasn’t afraid that someone would make fun of her or make her feel she didn’t exist. Another student said maybe she finally got confidence. One student said she thought at first all Niko wanted was a sexual relationship, but after we read and re-read we finally decided he was just being a good friend.

Blog B Chapter 10

Q-1. Do you think she will transfer and why? She said she’s not going to transfer because it will just happen there to and maybe they will get tired of bulling her and pick on someone else. Jodee met a new friend with Annie and every body is scared of her. They use to bully her and she just wore tuff clothes and act tuff and everybody was scared of her. Annie asked Jodee if she wanted to come to her party at her house with Annie and her friends. When Jodee and Annie got to her house some boys were there and Jodee liked the boy and he was like twenty years old. Then Annie’s brother came down stairs and jodee liked him to and he said he’s gay and he said if I wasn’t I would date you and she said ok.

Q-1. Why do you think she’s getting surgery? She’s getting surgery because she thinks her breast is deformed. The doctor said she can have the surgery but he said she would have to wait until she’s seventeen.   

Blog C of Please Stop Laughing At Me chapters 9-11

What student created questions that your group disagreed upon and justify?

Our group disagreed on nothing and we felt strongly that all of our answers were correct and we didn’t really disagree on anything.

One question was why do you think they went to Greece?

I wanted to hear my classmates’ opinions on why they went to Greece and if they agreed with me. I think they went to Greece because her dad felt bad and that he wanted to get her away from her classmates. It was basically Jodee’s dream to go to Greece so that is part of the reason they went to.

Blog B of Please Stop Laughing At Me chapter 9-11

What student created questions did your group agree upon and justify?

Our group agreed on how she felt about going to the Eastern Illinois University we agreed that she was nervous and that she thought they weren’t going to like her either and they were going to start bullying her too. She was very scared at first too and then she felt welcome when she saw the surroundings and she was getting a little more secure and her mom and dad said that if anything happened then she was welcome to call and ask if she can go home.

Another topic we agreed on was Annie’s party we thought it was going to be a joke and that they were going to bully her to. Annie was actually a good person and none of her friends made fun of her. We agreed that she was hoping to make new friends and that is why she trusted them which they told her the truth that it wasn’t a prank.

Blog A of Please Stop Laughing At Me chapter 9-11

What student created questions in your group that generated the most discussion and justify?

One topic of discussion was why did they go to Greece? 

One student said that they went to Greece to get Jodee away from her classmates. Another student said that they went to Greece to cheer Jodee up and they said that it was her dad’s idea. Also her dad felt bad so he took her to Greece to explore and to meet new people. But I thought they went to Greece because they didn’t want Jodee to get hurt anymore and that they wanted her to be happy for a while they are wanting her to meet new people so she can get new friends and she has always wanted to go there it was sort of her dream.  

Another topic of discussion was why do you think that the people in Greece accepted her but the people in the states do not? One student said that there are less people in Greece than there are in the states and Greek people like meeting new people. Another student said that Greek people are different from the state people. But I  thought it was because they are kinder people and they aren’t around too many people so they don’t have as many to pick on there because it is kind of an ancient place and not very many people go there and nobody is perfect.

Blog A Chapter 9

Q-1. Do you think Niko and the rest of the kids will bully her in Greece?

Jodee and her parents went to Santorin for vacation to get stuff off Jodee’s mind. She met lots of friends and this guy asked her out for a date and they went out then went some place and Jodee told the guy she was getting bullied. Then jodee told him about her deformed breast and he asked to see and she showed him and he said there’s nothing wrong with them. Jodee went to the disco and met with her friends and dance and drink pop, eat and dance for a week until jodee left to go home. They send her letters and call every week and sometimes after school and she is friends with Noreen from her last school.  So, it sounds like she won’t get bullied if she stays in Greece.

Q-2. Do you think she will move to Greece?

I think she will move to Greece because she’s getting sick and tired of getting bullied.

Blog C: What student-created questions would you like to have spent more time discussing and why? (2-3 sentences)

A question I would like to have discussed more would be the question over why Jodee would show Nico her problem. I think we could have spent more time discussing this question because it created a lot of discussion. We had some good reasons why she would have shown him her problem, but I think that there was another reason we could have put in there. Another reason why she would show him her deformity was because he asked her to and she was put on the spot. She may have been afraid to say no because then he might not be her friend anymore. He might start being mean to her and calling her names. I don’t think she thought he would do that, but she probably didn’t want to take any chances. 

Blog B: What student-created questions did your group agree upon and justify? (4-5 sentences)

Our group agreed:

One topic our group agreed upon was why Jodee was worried about going to Anne’s house, and in the end was it a good thing that she went? We all thought she was worried about going there because in the past she has been invited to someone’s house and it hasn’t turned out so well. It was a good thing she did go because this time it did turn out well. I am glad it turned out well too because she needs friends and she now knows that she does. She has someone to hang out with and that will help her in the long run because she has someone besides her parents. She will have someone to talk to and won’t feel so alone. I would be iffy on going to someone’s house after being invited in the past and then hurt. I am just glad that she has a friend now and somewhere else to go.

Another topic we agreed upon was:

Another topic that out group agreed upon was why the nurse didn’t do anything when Jodee came to her to get the gum taker out of her hair, or why she didn’t have anyone punished. We all thought that she didn’t do anything because Jodee had told her not to because she would be made fun of and called a snitch. Jodee knew what has happened in the past when she has told on kids for bullying her and she didn’t want that to happen again. The nurse understood that she was getting picked on and probably didn’t want her to have to go through it anymore. If I was in that situation, I wouldn’t want to be picked on because I told on them, but I wouldn’t want it to just be left alone either.

Blog B: What student created-questions did your group disagree upon and justify? (4-5 sentences)

Our group disagreed:

One topic that our group disagreed on was over the question, if it was you, would you attend gym or not? Some people in our group are not like Jodee and they said they would go to gym because they don’t care what people think. If only Jodee had that backbone. Some people on the other hand said that they wouldn’t attend gym because they would be afraid of people finding out about their problem and getting made fun of, and they wouldn’t want to be embarrassed. I would be one of those people who wouldn’t want to attend gym if I had that problem because that is very personal and I would definitely not want anyone to find out that about me and have rumors spread. I would only tell someone I trust. I don’t think people should be making fun of Jodee for her problem because she can’t help it.

Another topic we disagreed upon was:

Another topic that our group disagreed upon was whether or not things will be better for Jodee when she goes to college or not. Some people thought that it will turn out better for her when she goes to college because when she went to that SA competition at the college she met a lot of new people. It seemed like things were going well for her there. We also think that when she goes to college there will be a bigger variety of people and that might make things better. Some people also thought that things won’t be better when she goes to college. They thought that she might get made fun of by the “popular crowd” for being smart. I hope things are easier on her in college. She’s had a tough past and she needs a break.

Blog A: What student-created questions in your group generated the most discussion and justify? (4-5 sentences)

One topic of discussion was:

In our group a topic that generation a lot of discussion was over why Jodee was afraid to open up to her new friends. Some of us in our group thought that she didn’t trust anyone because of all the things that have happened to her in the past, like when people act like they are her friends and then they end up hurting her in the end. She is also always made fun of which leads me to what another student said about why she would be afraid to open up. Another reason is because Jodee has always been made fun of and told things about her that are mean and she is starting to believe them. She thinks maybe they are right and all the things people say about her are true. Negative things are what she hears all the time so that’s all she really has to believe. If I was told negative things a lot like she is, it would bring my spirits down a lot and I would not be as confident.

Another topic of discussion was:

Another topic that generated a lot of discussion was over why Jodee would show Nico her deformity. One student thought that she would show him because she trusted him and knew that he was a friend and he didn’t want a sexual relationship. Another student thought that she was comfortable showing him because she wanted him to see why she was self-conscious and why some of the teasing and making fun was happening to her. She knew he wasn’t going to laugh and make fun of her. If it was me, I would definitely not want to show anyone something as personal as that. I would have to trust that person with my life before I did that. I may have told someone about it, but once again I would have to trust them a lot.

Question... What do you think will happen at the writers workshop college?

I think that she will be nervous and shy, she will probably think that all the people will make fun of her like they do in school.  She is used to being made fun of so she is always expecting it.  I think that it will be a good experience for her.

Question... Do you think it will help her being around people that have the same problems as her?

I think that it will help her alot to be around people that have problems.  I think that it will show her that she is not alone in the world.  I think that it will make her see that all the people in the world are not like the people she goes to school with.  This experiance will be good for her and make her ready to go back and face the kids at her High School.

Blog B: What student-created questions did your group agree upon, and justify?

We were asked the question “Why wouldn’t Jodee transfer to another school?”, and we all thought that the reason was because she didn’t want to keep running from her problems. If I were her I’m not sure what I would do. I know I would want to face my problems but sometimes it would be really hard to deal with. Jodee probably wants to stick up for herself. I think she needs to be more verbal and not let things get her down so easily. Now that Annie and her are friends, hopefully she will get more confidence and not be afraid to stand up to people that are mean to her. We also thought that she might face the same things at a new school that she has faced at her schools in the past.

Blog B: What student-created questions did your group disagree upon, and justify?

When we were discussing the question “How would you feel about going to camp?” we all had different opinions. Some people thought that Jodee would be excited to go and have to opportunity to meet new friends that might share the same interest and abilities as her. While others thought that they would be scared because we wouldn’t know anyone and would not know how to act around other people. Yet, we might also feel excitement and curious to get to experience new things. I personally would feel nervous and scared. If I have at least one friend then I would be fine. But I’m not always as outgoing at first when I’m with people I don’t know too well yet. I wish I wasn’t that way sometimes, because if you don’t care what people think then you will be less of a target.

Blog C: Which student-created question would you like to have spent more time discussing and why?

A question I would like to have spent more time discussing would be about our opinions on Jodee’s deformity. When I read about how Jodee talks about her body, she seems really negative toward herself which isn’t good for her self-esteem. It isn’t her fault that she was born with a disability and she should just accept it, but hopefully her parents will find some way to change it so she will become more confident in the long run. If I had the same problem as Jodee, then I wouldn’t know how I would handle it. I would do everything I could to cover it up like she did. I’m positive that I wouldn’t be as brave as Jodee was when she wanted to start going to gym again. I wish I had as much courage as her and not care so much about what everyone thinks of me.

Question... Why does she put herself down so much?

I think that she puts herself down so much because, all of her life she has always gotten negative remarks from everyone.  If you are put down enough times in your life you start to belive the negative and dont think any of the positive things that people say are true.  If you put yourself down then maybe other people wont do it too. 

Question... If all the things that happened to her happened to me would I fight back?

I would definetly fight back, because it would do no good to sit back and take it.  If Jodee fought back then maybee all the kids would have left her alone.  I think that you have to stand up for yourself or you wont get far in life, if you let people push you around then they will think that they can do it all the time. 

Blog A: What student-created questions in your group generated the most discussion, and justify?

One topic of discussion was “Would she be better off on the island than her high school?”

My group and I thought that Jodee has really low self-confidence and that she sometimes would bring all the hurt upon herself. I feel bad for her because right when something good happens it seems to go just as fast as it came. I think she has been hurt and made fun of so many times that she already expects rejection. Although Jodee didn’t know what to expect from the vacation I think she was ready to have a break from all of the misery she was experiencing back home.

Another topic of discussion was “Why do we live in the past?”

We thought that Jodee sometimes lived in the past. It would be hard for me to live in the past because I am always looking forward to the next day and up coming events. Some of Jodee’s past is good, like when she was popular and everyone liked her. But she can’t keep reliving those moments when she needs to focus on reality and things that are happening in the present. It is good to remember things but we can’t get caught up in them.

What student created question did your group agree upon, and justify?

Our group agreed on the question why would Jodee not want to transfer to another school again? We agreed Jodee does not like to keep running from her problems even though that was what she had done in the past. She really wants to tough it out. She doesn’t want to show the kids that they have beaten her down. We all agreed that she was tired of running from her problems.

What student created question did your group disagree upon, and justify?

Our group disagreed on the question do you think Jodee should go to gym? Some of us thought that she should not go to gym because she could be caught and her secret found out. Others thought that she should go to gym to show them they can’t harm her any more. I can see both ways. She wants to stick up for herself but that might cost her in the long run.

What student created question in your group generated the most discussion, and justify?

The topic of discussion was why does Jodee like to live in the past? One student said that Jodee lives in the past because that is where she was cool liked by most of her friends. Another student said that the past is the only place where she was safe from bullies. I think she feels like the past was the only place where she will be accepted. The future scares her she might not be able to handle the way she is being treated for much longer.

Which student created question(s) would you like to have spent more time discussing and why?

A question I…..A questions that I would like to discuss more. If you were Jodee’s parents would you let her go to a different school every time u had a problem at school?

Chapters 9-11

Blog C

What questions and answers did your group disagree on?

Our group disagreed… Our group had different reasons why they thought Jodee wouldn’t transfer to a different school. Some thought she should transfer schools, and some stuck behind her decision.

Our group disagreed… When Jodee started to date Andre, some of us thought it was good for her confidence and self esteem and others said it was bad for her because when he broke up with her it probably would have lowered it.

Why we disagreed… It could go either way... My opinion is that it probably both made it come up and then after the breakup, made it go down.

What questions would you have liked to spend more time on? Why?...

I think overall we had some really good discussions and covered most of the things we planned to get at. I don’t really think I would have spent more time on the questions.

One topic of discussion was... Would leave the school you were attending if all of the things that happened to Jodee happened to you?

One student said... Yes, I would leave because I wouldnt want to be picked on anymore.  If I left then maybe things would be better at a new school.

Another student said... No, i would stay because I would just try and tuff it out.

One topic of discussion was... Why does Jodee want to learn Greek so bad?

One student said... Maybe she wants to go back to greece because she liked it so much.

Another student said... Maybe she likes to learn new things. Maybe it takes her away from all the bad things in her life.

What student created questions did your group agreed upon and justify?

Our group agreed… Our group agreed about if you would fill guilty if your parents thought that it was their fault for what has happen to you?

We agreed…. We agreed that we would fill guilty if our parents thought that it was all their fault for what has happen to you.

Blog C:

Which student created questions(s) would you like to have spent more time discussing and why?

A question I would have liked to have spent more time on was, why do yout think Jodee won’t let her mom help deal with her problems? The reason is because, Jodee will not let her mom help her with her problems. Therefore, things are only going to get worse, and Jodee needs help from her mother. Jodee’s mother loves her and just wants to help her because she does not want her to get hurt. Also, if Jodee tattles every single time, people will hurt her more and seek for more revenge.

Blog B:

What student created questions did your group agree upon?

We agreed on why she went to camp, because she went for a school thing and everyone there had problems just like her. We also agreed on how we would’ve reacted if someone put gum in our hair because, a teacher cut it off and if we were Jodee we would’ve went to barber shop and have them fix it. Another topic we agreed on was, that she was being treated better with Annie. We thought that was because Annie used to be like Jodee, an outcast, and Annie knows how it feels and thinks it isn’t fair. We also areed that how she was being treated wasn’t right. Our group disagreed on why she should get sugery. Some thought she should so she doesn’t have to live with the deformity and some said she shouldn't go so far just to be like everyone else. We disagreed on not letting her mom help her deal with her problems. Some said Jodee wants to deal with her problems herself and not run away from them. Others said she should because she’s to young to deal with these horrible problems herself. Another topic we disagreed on was, should she transfer schools? One said, she should because it doesen’t matter what others think of her. I thought she should not because in the long run, running away will get her nowhere.

Blog C, Which student created questions you would have liked to spend more time discussing and why? (2-3 sentences)

A question I would have liked to spend more time discussing is why she didn’t let her mom take care of her problems.

We agreed the reason is she didn’t want to be a momma’s girl or a wussy. Some others thought she didn’t want to give the bullies the satisfaction of knowing they had beaten her.

A question that I wanted to spend more time on was if we wanted to go to a new school or not. The reason is that I think it could have maybe helped if we were going through the same things.

Blog B, What student created questions you group agreed upon? (4-5 sentences)

Our group agreed on the subject of do you think it help Jodee by being around people with problems like hers?

We agreed that it helped Jodee by being around people with problems like hers because she wasn’t scared to open up. She new that they all had problems and she wouldn’t be judged. They could tell their painful stories and have support. Another topic we agreed upon was do you think Jodee will be picked on as much now that she hangs out with Annie? We agreed that we didn’t think she would be picked on as much now because many people are scared of Annie and her tough looks. We thought it helped her having friends that she could be with and feel liked and cared about.

Part 2 Blog B, What student created questions that your group disagreed upon and justify? (4-5 sentences)

Our group disagreed upon the subject of why did Jodee want to learn Greek?

One person thought she wanted to go back to Greece some day and be able to impress her friends by speaking their native tongue. Another person thought she would write letters to keep in touch. My favorite out of all the ideas was that she wanted to accomplish something the kids at her school couldn’t take away. They might think she is weird for spending so much time trying to learn a new language but that is a step up from what they thought before.

Chapters 9-11

Blog B

What questions and answers did you and your group agree upon? And justify.

Our group agreed... We agreed that it was good for her to be around people with the same interests as she had. It helped her out, because she finally knew that she wasn’t the only one out there who wanted to be different.

Our group agreed… Jodee probably wouldn’t get teased as much if she hangs out with Annie and her other new friends. The kids at school don’t tease Annie because they are scared of her.

Our group agreed on the way we would react if we got pushed into traffic like Jodee.We agreed Jodee didn’t want go at first to the Greek camp. Another topic we agreed on was that we would all want to cry if our clothes got thrown in the toilet. We agreed on also we would want to try to at least make one really good friend.

Our group disagreed that if you were in the situation that Jodee was in would you go to a new school. We disagreed that she didn’t want to go through it anymore and another person said they wouldn’t want to run away from the problem. Another topic we disagreed on was that some people said that they would want to change schools not to deal with all the problems and a different person said that they wouldn’t want to change schools because they wouldn’t want to run away from the problem.

Blog A, What student created questions in your group that generated the most discussion and justify? (4-5 sentences)

One topic of discussion was do you think Jodee’s trip to Greece helped her overcome bullying?

One student said yes, because she felt like there were more people than just the kids at her school. They also said they thought it gave her more confidence because she felt like she could be herself and some people would accept her. Another student said yes, because she new there were more mature people than she was currently surrounded by. It gave her hope and something to look forward to rather than just feeling stuck and not ever seeing and end. She finally felt like she wasn’t a deformed freak and that some others could finally see that.

We also discussed our thoughts and feelings about the incident in the locker room?

One student said they would have just sat in the locker room and cried. They said they wouldn’t have cared anymore. They would have given the bullies there satisfaction of letting them know they had beaten her. Another student said they would have been prepared and always had extra clothing. They said they would have learned from the past that people might taunt her by throwing her cloths in a toilet.

One of the topics my group discussed was about if your parents would let you go to another school would you. One student said in my group was that she wouldn’t get picked on if she went to another school and she would feel safer there. Another student said he would stay at that school so he wouldn’t be running away form it all and show them he isn’t scared to stand up to them.

Another topic we discussed was why do you think she enjoys writing poems?

One student said that it would maybe help her with her emotions because she would be letting them out. Another student said that if she was angry it would let her anger out if she was angry and she wouldn’t take it out on herself.

• Which student created a question you would like to have spent more time discussing and why?

My group didn’t really have anything that we wanted to discuss more or spend more time on, we spent the same amount of time on each question and most of them were the same questions so there wasn’t very much left to discuss.

• What student created questions did your group agreed upon and justify?

Our group agreed on why the kids at the workshop were so nice to her. We thought because they knew what she was going through because they have been through it too.

Another topic we agreed on was how Jodee felt when she met her roommate. We thought that she felt good and that she could trust her.

• What student created questions did your group disagreed upon and justify?

Our group disagreed if you could change schools would you? One person said that they wouldn’t because they wanted to deal with it and show that they aren’t weak. Another said that they would because they would get tired of it after a while. I said that I would, I would get tired of getting picked on all the time and I would feel better going to a different school.

Another topic we disagreed on was why or why not you would want to change schools. One person said that they wouldn’t want to deal with it anymore and another person said that they couldn’t handle it any more so they would have to change schools.

Chapters 9-11

Blog A

One student said… Why do you think all the kids at the camp had such harsh backgrounds? They all kind of came from the same place and were all bullied because they had different interests and were different from others.

Another student said… When Jodee said that she and Noreen were prisoners at war, what did you think she meant? They both were trying to fight off being bullied all the time, and they failed at a lot of attempts of trying to escape the prison in which they were humiliated.

Another Topic of discussion was…

One student said…When Jodee went to Santorini why do you think she trusted Yorgos so much that she would show him her deformity? She trusted him because he was somebody she felt she could trust. Yorgos was a kind of person that didn’t care what you looked like, he was the kind of person who cared about your personality and he supported Jodee.

Another student said… If you were Jodee, How would you have reacted with the gum incident? Jodee could have tried to wash it out as much as she could and if that didn’t work she could cut her hair shorter. Maybe style it different.

Blog C

Some things I would like to discussed more is that if she was had new friends why wouldn’t she try to save her old ones anymore?

I also wish we could have discussed more is that if you were beaten so much why wouldn’t you fight back or switch schools

• What student created questions in your group generated the most discussion and justify?

One of the topics of discussion was why Jodee wanted to learn Greek so bad. One student said that she might be interested in the language and like how it sounds. Another student said that she might want to go back when she gets older. I think that she will go back because she really liked it there and the people were really nice and she had tons of friends.

• Another topic of discussion was how quickly did she learn to act around her peers?

One student said that she didn’t learn how to act around her peers. Another student said that she tried to act different around her peers and fit in but she eventually went back to herself and they caught on very quickly. I think that she fit in with her peers for a while but when they started picking on someone she knew what it felt like and stood up for them then her friends treated her way differently.

Which student created question(s) would you like to have spent more time discussing and why? (2-3 sentences)

A question that I would have liked to spend more time on was talking about how Jodee compares to the movie Rockie. The reason I would like to spend more time discussing this is because I wanted to hear everyone else’s opinion. It had a lot of discussion at first and then we had to switch questions. If we hadn’t switched questions then I’m sure we could have kept going on with our conversation. So this is why I wanted to talk about that question because I knew it would generate a lot of conversating.

Blog B

My group agreed that she was scared at first when she went to the party at Anna’s because she had been asked to play soft ball and they just did it to hurt her so she thought that might happen again.

We also agreed that she liked Greece because they thy liked her for who she was not what she was.

Blog A

One of the questions we discussed was that if you where Jodees would you have felt bad that your parents thought it was their fault. My group said that thy would because if they where their dad that they weren’t there enough. Some one else said that if this happened now a days that it would be so hard for it to happen in school that it would mean they where never helpful at all.

Another topic we discussed was; why do you think Diana and Jodee felt so connected. One person said that they had both been such social failures that they where connected by their problems. Some one else said that it reminded them that they where not the only ones with big problems.

What student created questions did your group agreed upon and justify? (4-5 sentences)

Our group agreed on most of the discussion that the question, What do you think Annie meant by “I don’t think anyone has to be mean to be feared” gave to us? We agreed that the point she was trying to get across to us was stereotyping and some kids, like Annie, get respect because she is feared at school. We also agreed that Annie and Jodee became friends because she understood what it was like to be made fun of and left out of the “cool crowd”.

What student created questions did your group disagreed upon and justify? (4-5 sentences)

The group I was with disagreed that Jodee’s parents were doing too much to help her get through the bullying. One of my partners said that they were doing too much in a bad way. I thought that Jodee’s parent were doing very well trying to make her happy but at times it was a little too much and it made me begin to think she was a little spoiled. My group also disagreed on the way Jodee acted. A member or two thought that Jodee acted childish around her parents because she always called them “mommy” and “daddy”. I spoke my opinion and said that maybe at times she acted that way but she may have grown up with calling them that name.

What student created questions in your group that generated the most discussion and justify? (4-5 sentences)

A topic that my group discussed was about the way Jodee felt more important by being involved in poetry. One of my group members said that Jodee became a part of poetry because she wasn’t entertained in any athletic sports. Another topic the group discussed on was if we think the issues with Jodee will change 10 years down the road and the responses were that it will get even more severe in the future. I made a comment to my group members response and just noted that I thought that was not the case and it would become less able to happen to Jodee because there will be more cameras or security in schools or public places.

•(Blog C): Which student created question(s) would you like to have spent more time discussing and why?

A question I would have liked to spent more time on discussing was, “What would you do if you were Jodee and you had to be in surgery for 6-8 hours?” My reason is because there were only a few comments made on that question and I think it could have created more good discussion.

You can enter the te

Blog B: What student created did your group agree upon and justify?

Did she like the boy from Greece? Yes, to me it’s practically in color the way she describes the way she feels about him!

Blog B: What student created questions did your group disagree upon and justify? Would you keep on changing schools if you were Jodee and were in this situation that she’s in? Most of us did not have the same answers, but the majority of my group answered yes or no! I said I wouldn’t because I would get used to running away from my problems and not facing them at the source. Some others said I would because I would be afraid of them and would not want to go to school.

xt of your blog here!

• (Blog B): What student created questions did your group agreed upon and justify?

Our group agreed on the question, “Why do you think Jodee doesn’t want to transfer schools?” Our group answer was she didn’t want to run away from her problems and give her bullies the satisfaction of hurting her. Another question we agreed on was, “What was your opinion on Jodee telling her deformity to her roommate?” Our group discussed that her roommate thought there was nothing to be ashamed of being different and that she understood Jodee because she used to get teased for being taller than her classmates.

• (Blog A): What student created questions in your group generated the most discussion and justify?

One of the topics of discussion was, “What do you think will happen to Jodee at the writer’s workshop?” One student answered she would have more things in common with the other kids like writing, and speeches. Another topic of discussion was, “Why do you think Jodee’s Greek teacher was being so strict?” One student said she wanted Jodee to be committed and serious to learning the language because it was a difficult language to learn. I thought the writer’s workshop Jodee had attended was a good place for her to go to and be herself without being teased or taunted.

You can enter the text of your blog

Chapter 9-11

Why did she want to learn Greek so bad? maybe it’s because she wanted to go back to Greece, missed how the people were good to her over there and wanted to see the boy that she met when she was there!

Is she afraid of the bullies in school and outside of school? Me and my group thinks she is! I truly think she is more afraid of them in side of school because it is a time where they can all talk about her and embarrass her the most and humiliate her more than at home because it keeps on going for days and days also because her parents are not going to be at the school all the time.

here!

Students need to reflect on the following questions based on the notes they took during our discussion groups.

Blog A: What students generated topics created the most discussion? Justify your answer.

Blog B: What student generated topics did you agree and disagree? Justify your answer.

Blog C: What student generated topic would you have liked to discuss more thoroughly? Exlpain your answer.

7th Grade 09-10
8th Grade 09-10

My name is Mrs. Gatz and this is my second year teaching 3-8 Computers at Doniphan West Schools. I'm very excited about he upcoming year. Previously I have taught 5th & 6th grade and middle school math and science. On a personal note I have 3 children. I enjoy sports, reading and of course spending time with my children! Locations of visitors to this page