Copyright (c) 2014 by Gregory Louie Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Gregory Louie -- Blogmeister

Exploring Biotechnology & Global Issues

S2 8th Grade

Exploring Biotechnology.
Topics in biotechnology include the potential impact of biofuels to invigorate NC rural economy and reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

AIG-Global Issues
Topics in Global Issues include student ideas for living in a flat world. This includes their work to address global problems, poverty, sustainability, climate change, world health and world peace.

by Gregory Louie

Mr. Louie's Exploring Biotechnology Website
Why Not Save The World?
7th Grade Biotechnology Wikispace
8th Grade Biotechnology Wikispace
Living Life in a World Without Oil
World Without Oil

Article posted March 4, 2009 at 05:14 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 518

Eighth graders!

Compare and contrast your dream car of the present with your dream car of the future. In your comparison, you should have a least one paragraph for each of the following:

1. A paragraph naming your dream car of the present and describing at least three reasons/features that make it your dream car.

2. A paragraph naming your dream car of the future and describing at least three reasons/features that make it your dream car.

3. A paragraph comparing the features of your dream car of the future that make it better than the dream car of the present.

4. A paragraph analyzing and comparing the fuel economy of each in the very practical terms of how much cash it would cost you to fill up the tank and how much it would cost you to go to and from high school. Assume your high school is 10 miles away and that gasoline is $5/gallon.

5. Any thoughts, conclusions, perspectives you might have about how the price of gasoline might affect your future and the strategies you are developing to deal with that future.

Article posted February 3, 2009 at 12:51 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Write a blog to introduce yourself to the world without using your name.

Your blog should answer at least one of the following questions, although it is best to answer all four.

What is your dream job of the future?

What is your current passion/interest in life?

What are you good at or intend to become good at?

How does your dream job combine your passion in life with what you are good at or intend to become good at?

Article posted January 14, 2009 at 08:37 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

Your last two blog articles will be written to answer the question: What kind of preparation do I need to do in high school and or college to get my dream job of the future?

Please see the full instructions under in the left menu under Teacher Assignments.

Article posted January 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 52

Please check the Teacher Assignments for a new entry describing what I would like you to blog about today.

Article posted January 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

Eighth graders:

"Don't predict the future, create it." - attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

Imagine your dream job of the future. What would you do each day, week, year, where would you do it, and what other benefits would there be?

Now evaluate your dream job using Mr. Louie's criteria for success.

1. Will the job be interesting and never boring?

2. Will you make a decent living?

3. At the end of your life, will you be able to say, "I made the world a better place, by what I did during my career?"

You should have a least one paragraph describing your dream job of at least three sentences. Then three paragraphs of three to five sentences each evaluating your dream job with my criteria for success.

Article posted December 15, 2008 at 09:40 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 32

Now that you have finished both the Transgenic Fly Lab and the Bacterial ID lab, please complete your reviews on both.

I haven't put up a template for the Bacterial ID lab, but you can modify the template for the Transgenic Fly Lab and repurpose it for your Bacterial ID lab review. All you need to do is to change the title of the review template and comment on the following three concepts:

1. PCR

2. DNA sequencing

3. BLAST sequence searching and alignment tool

Article posted December 5, 2008 at 08:24 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Please refer to the left menu under Teacher Assignments: The third link down is called: Review: Transgenic Fly Lab. Please click on that link and follow the instructions there.

Article posted September 17, 2008 at 01:33 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

The goal of this part of the exercise is to learn how to use blog comments to start interesting discussions.

Your task is to comment on at least three articles written by some of your other classmate's blog articles. Your comment will include the following features:

1) The comment is written from the perspective of a person living at the same time as the author.

2) You comment on the value of technology being described by the author comparing it to other alternative technologies that accomplish the same function. You may agree or disagree. These comments should be substantial, which means more than one sentence. I expect a least two paragraphs, one for each of the above comments.

3) A very specific comment on the quality of the written article based on the rubric found at:

Biofuels Blog Rubric

Tips for writing an acceptable comment

For requirement 1: Before you begin, please note that your blogs and comments are moderated and will not appear unless approved.

For requirement 2: If you choose to agree with the value of the technology described, you will extend the idea and describe another product in the same category that you use.

For requirement 2: If you choose to disagree you will not disparage the idea, but provide an alternative and a useful comparison that focuses on the superior value of your favorite technology.

For requirement 3: You'll rate the authors article based on each of the three categories listed in the first column of the rubric. After each rating provide at least one suggestion for making the article better.

Article posted September 12, 2008 at 12:10 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

Amend your blog to include the following themes:

1. A description of who you are and what you are doing in the future. For example, The year is ..., I am now ... years of age and living in ..... I have become a ....

2. A description of your current greatest interest related to oil consumption. (For example, if you started research on electric cars, describe the coolest electric cars of the future.)

3. A description of the research you started in 2008 related to your "future current" interest. This is the work you have already blogged about and done some research on.

4. A short history of the period between 2008 and the future related to developments in fuel costs and in the technology you are interested in.

5. A brief description of your daily life om the future, how the price of fuel affects it, and how the technology you have selected makes your life easier to live. (Note: You can expand this last theme as a journal and write several blog entries. Just use your imagination and have fun with it.)

Article posted August 28, 2008 at 11:30 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

Your task is to search through the WWO archives for videos, news articles and/or blogs to find and select one item to review.

Your review will consist of at least three paragraphs that answer one or more of the following questions.

1. What article did you select and what did you learn from it about the social impacts of rising oil prices?

2. Why did this particular article (news item, blog, etc.) capture your imagination? In other words, what relevance does it have for your life?

3. How would you respond in a similar way?

Article posted June 2, 2008 at 06:31 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 35

Our End of Year Course Evaluations will be due on Friday June 6th. If all goes well, we will have the computer lab two days this week to accomplish this.

In the left menu under Teacher Assignments, click on Course Evaluations for instructions on how to complete this assignment.

Article posted April 14, 2008 at 08:18 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

A new assignment has been posted in the left navigation menu. Please click on the appropriate link for more information.

Article posted April 3, 2008 at 10:15 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

In this activity, you will write a review of our unit on Dragon Genetics. What did you like the most? What did you learn?

For more information, please check out the Teacher Assignments in the left navigation menu.

Article posted March 14, 2008 at 09:42 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 32

In this activity, you will write a review of our unit on microbiology. What did you like the most? What did you learn?

See the link under "Teacher Assignments" in the left navigation menu for more information.

Article posted February 19, 2008 at 08:50 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 51

This assignment is for the 7th grade classes only. We will be posting our essays on the Internet. Please refer to the instructions at the hyperlink labeled Five Paragraph Essay under Teacher Assignments in the left navigation menu.

Article posted February 8, 2008 at 10:55 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

This assignment is for the 8th grade classes only. We will be posting our essays on the Internet. Please refer to the instructions at the hyperlink labeled Biofuels Essay under Teacher Assignments in the left navigation menu.

Article posted January 16, 2008 at 04:28 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

Please complete a course evaluation. Detailed instructions can be found in the left column in the link under Teacher Assignments.

Article posted December 7, 2007 at 08:48 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 32

In this assignment, you will be asked to draw an inference about the future of human genetics.

What is an inference? It is a logical conclusion based built upon previous information.

What is the previous information that we will use?

1) Genes can be transfered from one living organism to another.

2) Examples that we have seen include:

a) Sweet gene from an inedible wild tomato plant into a crop tomato plant.

b) Luciferase (light-producing gene) from a firefly to a fruit fly.

c) Red-eye color from a fruit fly into a white-eye fruit fly lineage.

d) Luminescence (light-producing genes) from jellyfish into pigs.

Level 1: Using this information, you will produce another blog entry, predicting how transgenic technologies could be used to enhance human performance. Be specific what trait or set of traits you would transfer and where you would get the genes.

Level 2: Using google searches find at least three examples of scientists or organizations that are working to enhance human performance and write a short news article describing what they are doing.

Level 3: Now that you have seen what other people are doing, how that information changed your original ideas about using transgenic technology to enhance human performance?

Article posted November 30, 2007 at 11:51 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

1) Find your username in the class list to the right.

2) Right-Click on your name and select "Open in a new tab" from the pop-up menu.

3) In the new tab, you should see your own blog. Login.

4) Click on "Article." A new window will appear. Type in a title in the "Title:" box.

5) Switch back to the tab that has the Class Blog.

6) Click on the "Internet Activity Review" link under Teacher Assignments.

7) Read the instructions there. You may use parts of the instruction guide as templates, but please remove the text related to the instructions and modify each sentence to make it your own work! Think!

Article posted November 29, 2007 at 11:40 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

Please consult this calendar for all assignment due dates.

Article posted November 28, 2007 at 11:43 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

Welcome!

I'm excited about giving you the opportunity to publish you work on the web for the world to see. What is a blog? The word "blog" is short for weblog, a web-based log or diary of your thoughts.

For our first activity, we will be publishing our thoughts on one of our internet learning activities. Please refer to the assignment.

2008 AIG-GAP
2008 S1 7th Grade
2008 S1 Biofuels
2008 S2 Biofuels

Mr. Louie is a protein chemist/molecular biologist who loves teaching. His current passions include global education, web 2.0 technologies and organic gardening. In his spare time he dances the mambo with his lovely wife and rambunctious 5-year old daughter.