Copyright (c) 2014 by MN Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MN -- Blogmeister

Hoppy Bunny-

by MN teacher: Mrs. B (5)

Article posted April 27, 2009 at 06:42 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 214

Running in the backyard,

Black lustrous hair,

Swishing in

The air.

Eyes shining like

The star.

Cherry lips forming

A smile.

Laughter

And more

Laughter.

Father comes out

Carrying a

Huge bamboo stick.

Laughter fades away

And she

Begins to cry.

BAM!

The stick hits her

Legs hardly and

Water drips

From her

Eyes.

Grows bigger

And bigger

And

She weds.

Later,

They have four

Children.

Three boys

And

A girl.

The children grow

And they

Wed.

No one left

Except she

And her

Man.

He dies

And only

She is

Left.

Sad and lonely

No one

Comes.

Just visits,

Never

A stay.

The youngest gets

A daughter

That

Is me.

I go to see

Her,

My old fragile

Grandmother.

She smiles and

Says:

“How cute you

Are”.

Many years after

My birth,

The telephone rings.

My father answers

It.

He comes to

Us,

And says:

She died.

We all shred

To tears.

Her spirits rise

Into the

Sky

And they will

Never return.

Written by MN © 2009

Article posted April 2, 2009 at 10:41 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 46

Written by MN, grade 5A - More than 500000 people are diagnosed with Parkinson disease. Every year, more and more people are affected. Parkinson disease is a disorder that affects the central nervous system. The central nervous system is the control center of your coordination.

Parkinson disease is a disorder where messages can’t get to motor nerves in the legs and arms. The messages are from the brain that tells you what to do. If your messages can’t get to the place they need to go, that part won’t work properly. You can’t control the movements at that part of your body. When you have Parkinson disease your arms and legs shake, or tremor, and your speech isn’t clear. Parkinson disease also makes your mood, thinking, and behavior to change. After you’ve had Parkinson disease for eight years, you’ll have postural instability. You usually walk slower than you did before. Another word for that is ‘bradykinesa’.

Affected System

[LINK]

As mentioned, Parkinson disease is a disorder that affects the nervous system. The nervous system is the boss of your entire body. It tells you to breath, sneeze, cough, blink, and even to go to the bathroom. Without your nervous system, you couldn’t have screamed when you get hurt and you would have died. The nervous system consists on the brain, the control center of the nervous system, the spinal cord, a bundle of nerves where messages travel, and the nerves, which picks up and sends information all over the body. There are 3 types of nervous systems. The one Parkinson disease affects is the central nervous system. The central nervous system is the control center of your coordination.

What causes this disease?

In your brain, neurons produce a vital chemical called dopamine. Dopamine is a chemical messenger that allows communication between a part in your brain called substania nigra and another part called corpus striatum. When the dopamine results are low in the nerve functioning, it causes a loss in ability to control your body movements. When this happens, you get Parkinson disease. You usually pick it up later in your life.

Discoverer

By the way, Parkinson disease was discovered by James Parkinson. He was born on April 11 1755 and he died on December 21 1824. James Parkinson was a geologist, physician, and a paleontologist. He is very famous for an essay called “An Essay of Shaking Palsy”, written in 1817. He called Parkinson disease “paralysis agitans”. Later, “paralysis agitans” was called Parkinson disease.

Sufferers

People usually get Parkinson disease when their old. When your 60 and above, you’ll have to be careful, I mean, who knows? You can get Parkinson disease anytime when you’re old. People that are above 60 don’t only get Parkinson disease. You can get it when you’re 40, 30, or even when you’re 25 years old! Men usually get Parkinson disease more common than women get it. So, all the boys in the world be careful! Parkinson disease can also be passed by family members. Make sure no one in your family may get Parkinson disease! You may know the famous boxer Muhammad Ali, he has Parkinson disease. Former US Attorney General, Janet Reno, artist Salvador Dali, have been affected by this disease. Actors, Terry Thomas, Deborah Kerr, Kenneth More, Jim Backus, Michael Redgrave and many other actors are suffering.

Is there a cure?

[LINK]

Until now, scientists haven’t found a cure for this disease. There are many medications, but most of them have side-effects. There is a medicine called MAO-B inhibitors, which prevents the breakdown of dopamine, but if you eat this medicine, you’ll have low blood pressure and irregular heartbeat. Another medicine called Amantadine which acts like a replacement for dopamine, but this medicine is only mildly effective for symptoms. There is a surgery called pallidotomy, which helps in reducing symptoms. There is also a therapy called Ayurveda. Ayurveda is a therapy that has only herbal ingredients and this therapy are from India.

Consequently, Parkinson disease can seriously affect your life. Your bodies can no longer function properly. In the future, I hope scientists find a good cure for Parkinson disease.

Information:

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

Bryan, Jenny. Body Talk: Mind and Matter, Brain and Nervous System. New York, NY 10022. Wayland (Publishers) Limited. 1993.

Images credits:

Netter Images

VIMHANS

Article posted March 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 59

This weekend, I really didn’t do anything that fun. I just did the usual stuff, going to the mall and visited friends, but on Friday, March 20, 2009, my mom said that my cousin in India is getting married on July 8th! My parents and I may go to the marriage, but we may not because my dad has work. I’ve only gone to one marriage, and that was when I was three. I remember that marriage really well, and something really funny happened.

I was a naughty little girl when I was three. I used to hit, shout, and even BITE people then! When my mom and I went to the wedding, I was pulling my mom's hair and I was shouting. Later, I was running around and I found a branch of a tree on the ground. I looked at it, and then I picked it up. Do you want to know what happened? I ran to my cousin, with my branch in my hand, and I hit my cousin right on her head! Blood poured down her head and she started crying. I think, but I’m not sure, that she went with her mom to the hospital.

Do you want to know where I went after that incident? I went to the police station! I went to the police station when I was still a baby drinking milk out of a bottle! When the police saw me, he didn’t put me in jail, because I was still a toddler. I am so lucky that I didn’t go to jail!

Article posted February 12, 2009 at 07:06 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 46

Article posted February 3, 2009 at 07:27 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 50

Article posted January 4, 2009 at 09:52 AM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 52

On December 20 2008, my father and I went to the hair dresser. Since my hair is really thick, I kept wondering how they could fix it. I thought my hair would look horrible, but it was fantastic! First,the hair dresser cut my hair till my shoulders (they washed my hair first). Then, they (there were many people) washed my hair again. After that they straightened my hair! Not permanently, of course. If I washed my hair the next day, my hair would become curly again. I didn't do that.

I washed my hair five days later. Well, anyways, I was so, so, so, happy! After I washed my hair, it wasn't so curly, or so straight. Normal.

I just love my hair now!

Article posted December 17, 2008 at 11:07 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 44

Article posted November 20, 2008 at 06:55 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 59

I am from the tiny apartment in the city with ants and cockroaches.

I am from the lemon cookies and orange cake my mother makes.

I am from the smell of the spicy chicken curry in the kitchen. I am from the temples of my country.

I am from the bubble bath in my house.

I am from an old school with teachers that smile all the time.

I am from friends who are there for me all the time.

I am from the Clorox that makes me dizzy.

I am from festivals of light, and from festivals of colorful powder.

I am from the nan they make in the restaurants.

I am from a colorful forest, full of trees, flowers and plants.

I am from books that go on adventures, from books that solve mysteries.

I am from religious parents, from a dangerous country with terrorists bombing places north and south.

I am from salwar kameez and sarees.

I am from rice fields, hardworking people and farms.

I am from the powder on my forehead after I pray at the temple.

I am from field trips to the soup factory and the chocolate factory.

I am from chapattis and chick pea curry.

Where are you from?

Article posted November 20, 2008 at 06:37 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 49

I looked around myself to check if my mother was watching me. She wasn’t there. “Should I try another?” I asked myself, “Or should I just go back to my room like an angel?” I became really confused. I thought about it for a minute, then I finally took another, and I sprinted to my room. I was starting to open the wrapper, when suddenly I heard, “Malini, can you come over here?”

I came back from school and I was reading a book in my room. Every fourth grader has to do reading every day, which I am. Suddenly, my mouth watered. I was only thinking about that. I couldn’t wait anymore. I went to my mother and asked her in my sweetest voice,” Mommy, can I have a chocolate bar?”

“Okay,” my mother replied,” You can have a chocolate bar, but you can only take one.”

“OK mommy, I’ll only take one chocolate bar.”

I ran to the kitchen as fast as a cheetah. I stood in front of the refrigerator and opened it, as fast as lightning. I looked around the refrigerator and I found the chocolate bar. One look at it and I could feel it melting in my mouth. SWISH! SWISH! I quickly snapped myself out of day dream land. I took out the chocolate bar and started opening the wrapper. Then slowly I put it in my mouth. “Mmmm, this is heaven.” I told myself. After a few seconds, the chocolate bar disappeared into thin air. “No!” I cried, “My chocolate bar is gone!” I need to have another, I thought, but mommy told me I can only take one. Maybe I can. “Should I take another one, or should go back to my room like an angel?” I asked myself. I checked if my mother was watching me, but she wasn’t there. Suddenly a hand popped in the refrigerator, which took a chocolate bar. As I was walking, I could hear my heart beating hard. BUM! BUM! BUM! BUM! When I got to my room, quick as lightning, I tore open the rapper, and then I heard a voice from the living room. “Malini, can you come over here?” I froze. If you saw me you would think I was half reptile, half human. Did she see me? Or is calling me to tell me something else? Probably it’s that. I walked toward my mother. Nothing bad will happen, nothing bad will happen, I thought bravely. “Why did you call me, mommy?” I asked in a shaky voice.

“I saw you eating a chocolate bar in the kitchen. Didn’t you.” my mother questioned me. Drops of water ran down my forehead. I gulped and looked down at the floor.

“I d-d-didn’t,” I stammered, “I d-d-didn’t eat a c-c-chocolate bar i-in the k-kitchen!”

“Are you sure?” my mother asked me with an I-know- you’re-lying-look.

“Yes,” I answered.

“Well, if you’re that sure, why don’t you open your mouth so you can show me.” my mother told me.

“Well… um I….”I began,” I’ll open my mouth.”

What else could I do, I thought, if I said no, she would easily know I was doing that not to get in trouble.

“What are you waiting for;” my mother asked me, “Open your mouth!”

Slowly, I opened my mouth. Teeny, tiny chocolate bits were on my teeth.

“Malini!”my mother asked me in a surprising tone,” I never knew you would to me”

“I sorry,” I told my mother,” I won’t do this again, I promise.”

“Well if you want, you can eat the other chocolate bar,” my mother told me.

How come she knew that I took another chocolate bar?

“I saw you taking one in the kitchen.” my mother told me as if she could read my mind.

“Okay.” I replied. I was walking to my room and I thought. I’ve learnt a new lesson today. Never try to be a thief, always ask before taking.

Article posted October 20, 2008 at 10:50 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 47

Malini

I did a triple bar graph and I got 93 precent. I could have gotten a better score. Well,at least I got more than 90.

Article posted October 20, 2008 at 10:37 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 53

1. When the computer is loading a game, I like to read a book until it finish loading.

2. One of my favorite authors is called Jennifer Allison, but when I read her books at night, it freaks me out.

3. I usually like to read more than going on the computer.

4. I like to read and watch television together. When there’s a show I like on television, I stop reading and watch the show.

5. One of my favorite website is middlescoolsurvival.com.

6. I am from India, but l was born in Lebanon.

7. My lucky number is ten and I am ten years old.

Article posted October 16, 2008 at 06:54 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 43

Vocabulary

I wrote all the vocabulary words in my reading log from September 11 to October 14. I went to "wordle" and pasted the vocabulary words into wordle. It was hard work!

Article posted February 18, 2008 at 07:44 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 43

To my friend,

Do you want to know what Phoenicians wear? Well, Phoenician men wear a single close-fitting tunic, and the length is a little lower than the waist and a little above their knee. It is made out of cotton or linen. These are for the normal people. Rich people do not wear this. The women wear a robe.

They used coins for their money. Some of the names of the money are Sidon, Arados, Marathos, and Tyre. The names of the Phoenician money are also names of gods. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that Phoenicians were also sailors.

The Phoenicians eat fruits, fish, vegetables, and meat. Phoenicians drank wine and they stored it in a clay jar called amphorae. They also traded wine.

Does any of this information help you, dear friend? I really hope this helped you.

Yours Truly,

Malini

To my friend,

Do you want to know what Phoenicians wear? Well, Phoenician men wear a single close-fitting tunic, and the length is a little below the waist and a little above their knee. It is made out of cotton or linen. These are for the regular people, not the rich people. The women wear a robe.

They used coins for their money. Some of the names of them are Sidon, Arados, Marathos, and Tyre. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that Phoenicians were also sailors.

One day I was looking for a library book in my house, but I couldn't find it. It was like it vanished into thin air. I searched the whole house, but still no clue. So, I went to my mother and told her all about it. She came with me to my room. It was like a mystery! Do you know what happened next? She found it, and you will never guess where it was. It was right under my board game! My fear left, but I felt silly!

My name is Malini and I am ten years old. I like to draw,read, and write. I am from India and I've been in ACS for the last seven years. This is my eighth year.