Copyright (c) 2014 by Michael La Marr Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Michael La Marr -- Blogmeister

-

Mr. La Marr- 4th Grade, RL

All the students in room 15 teach and learn from each other. The challenges that are achieved are limited only by the restrictions of their own minds!

by Michael La Marr

4th Grade, RL

Article posted March 30, 2014 at 12:39 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 4425

What did you think about Westminster Woods? Tell your readers about the trip you took to camp. You can discuss any aspect of the trip that you would like. You might consider:

What was the most memorable part of the trip?

What, in particular, did you like? Explain your opinion.

Is there anything that you didn't like? Explain your opinion.

You can discuss anything that you want, but be sure that you explain and prove the topic sentence that you write. A requirement that must be in here is this:

Explain an important science idea that you learned at camp. Tell your reader the idea, tell how you learned it, and then explain why it is an important idea.

As always, use good spelling and grammar. This should be multiple paragraphs to help you organize the topics about which you are writing. Be sure to choose vocabulary so that the reader of your blog understands the tone you are using to tell about your trip!

Article posted November 25, 2013 at 01:31 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 88

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You were given the challenge to arrive in the town of Golden Gulch in order to mine for gold during the California Gold Rush. You began back East and for some of you, it seemed to be an easy journey. For others, it was somewhat difficult.

In this blog, consider your team's journey to Golden Gulch as well as the journeys of others. What do you think of the challenge of getting to California during the 1850's? Give your BIG IDEA as a topic sentence. Then, provide supporting details that you heard as teams were trying to get to California. Lastly, as you begin to make a home in Golden Gulch, what do you think of your team's chances of success in the California Gold Rush? Create a strong, interesting sentence that answers that question as a conclusion to your blog. Give good conventions, spelling and clear ideas to your blog.

Type your blog in a word processor, save it and print if for Mr. La Marr. Attach a rubric, but don't complete the assignment without having first analyzed the rubric! When your blog is given the ok to publish, get it online for others to see. Your team gets gold nuggets for the blog. The sooner you are able to publish with good information, the more gold nuggets you get! Good luck gold seekers!

Article posted August 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM GMT0 • comment • Reads 77

As we begin our new school year, this is your opportunity to introduce yourself. For your first blog, tell a bit about yourself. Think about the things that make you you and write about yourself. You might include topics such as:

What do you like to do?

What do you like to eat?

How many members are in your family?

Where do you like to be the most?

What trip have you been on that you like the most?

Do you play an instrument? Tell us about that.

Do you play sports? Tell us about that.

There are many other topics that you can discuss. Describe yourself to the reader so we get a good idea of who you are. You can tell us anything you'd like, but you cannot use your real name.

Write your article in a word processing program. Be sure to use your best spelling and conventions. Make the writing interesting to the reader so that the reader wants to read about you.

When you are done, you will print the writing, staple it to a self-scored rubric and turn it in. When the writing is approved, you will publish the writing on your own blog page.

Once that has been done, you will use your blog to create a word cloud on Wordle. The site can be found at:

http://www.wordle.net/

Have fun, write an interesting piece and score well on you writing about you!

We have been studying the Transcontinental Railroad. We've read about it, talked about it and visited the California State Railroad Museum. You are also creating a windsock of information about the railroad. You should have a good amount of information on the topic.

Your job in this blog is to select a change descriptor and explain how the Transcontinental Railroad changed California. You may select any of the descriptors you wish to use, but the crucial part is to clearly support that descriptor with good details and examples.

You will need a brief introduction about the Transcontinental Railroad. You have been taught about introductions, so use those skills. Again, this need only be brief, but a reader should have a good idea about the railroad from your introduction.

Your second paragraph needs to be about your descriptor. Develop a strong topic sentence that states the descriptor you will use. Following that, you need to support your topic sentence with multiple examples.

A concluding statement or two is then needed to complete the writing.

Create your blog in a word processing document. Save it to your flash drive and be sure that your flash drive is at school every day. You have a short deadline to get this one done as the school year is rapidly coming to a close!

Entertain your reader with great thoughts and examples, use good spelling and conventions and teach the world something about the Transcontinental Railroad.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Article posted December 2, 2012 at 02:37 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 106

We spent at day at the Marshall Gold Discovery State Park in early November. You were able to see the replica of the sawmill, you saw the original timbers, we toured the original site of the mill, and we visited the site of Marshall’s discovery. You hiked to the Catholic Church, Marshall’s cabin and the cemetery. We spent time at the Marshall Monument and you finished your day gold panning in the river. You also spent time in the museum and examining the outside exhibits where you collected information.

Your job is to develop your Top Five pieces of information that you learned from the field trip. You have a scavenger hunt sheet that you can use. You also had a tour guide who gave a lot of fascinating information! You need a brief introduction to let the reader know about the topic of this blog. You need to list five well-explanined pieces of information about the California Gold Rush that are based on the trip. You need to explain Top Five so that someone who is unfamiliar with the gold rush will fully understand your ideas. Add your own ideas to the selected information to score higher.

Be sure to check the spelling and the conventions before turning your draft in for scoring. Check the rubric carefully prior to turning the paper in, as well. You will get gold nuggets for this blog. The sooner each member of your team publishes, the more gold your team will earn. However, the quality of the writing plays a bigger role in awarding gold nuggets.

Give great information to the visitors of your blog. Impress them with your knowledge of the California Gold Rush!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Article posted August 24, 2012 at 03:28 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 68

As we begin our new school year, this is your opportunity to introduce yourself. For your first blog, tell us a bit about yourself. Think about the things that make you you and write about yourself. You might include topics such as:

What do you like to do?

What do you like to eat?

How many members are in your family?

Where do you like to be the most?

Do you play sports? Tell us about that.

http://www.wordle.net/

Article posted May 17, 2012 at 01:45 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 93

You are quickly nearing the end of your fourth grade year. We have done so much work, discussed so many topics, taken many trips, and spent over a thousand hours together. As the year concludes, what do you have to say to the world about anything related to fourth grade? What is so important, so vital that everyone in the world needs to hear it? Do you have information that, once put online, will make a difference to someone who reads your blog?

Write your article about the vital information you want to tell, get it published before June 1 and receive extra credit for this BLOG! I hope you have great information to share with the world!

Article posted April 23, 2012 at 03:12 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 76

Fourth graders! We just had a field trip on Friday, April 20, where you heard stories about Sacramento's past. Some of the stories were pretty incredible, some were humorous, and some were kind of sad.

You recorded information about the tour on your question sheet. Now it's your turn to tell others about a story you heard in Old Sacramento. Your task is to select one of the stories you heard and retell it here. Explain the story fully and completely; it is likely that people who read your BLOG will have no background information about your story. Therefore, you have to build the background and you have to tell the story. Pick a good one that you want to share with everyone.

As always, check your spelling and conventions. Try to be published in no more than two tries. In order to do that, you will need to be thorough, accurate and entertaining in the way you tell your story!

We had a great, rainy week at camp in March. You were able to explain your week through the poetry you wrote upon your return from camp. Now, select your favorite poems and put them into your blog. You need to have at least three, but feel free to put them all on here, if you'd like. There was a lot of great poetry created about our trip, and it will be great for others to see your thoughts. Post away, fourth graders!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We have been reading The Terrible Wave and have been paying attention to the descriptive writing of the author, Marden Dahlstedt. What is your opinion of her writing? This is your opportunity to tell everyone what you think about the writing in The Terrible Wave.

In this blog, you will need to state your opinion and then support it with examples. Quoted passages from the book are a great way to support your ideas. Be sure to develop a strong body of writing that proves your opinion. You also need a solid conclusion to restate your thoughts. As always, good spelling and conventions are a must!

Be sure to check the rubric to see how you will be scored. This writing should be published by January 27.

2008-2009
2009-2010
2010-2011
2011-2012
2012-2013
2013-2014

Mr. La Marr is in his 29th year of teaching. He is fortunate to be working with such talented and motivated students. Each day is an adventure and we never know quite where we will land!