Article posted June 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM GMT • comment • Reads 201

Odyssey was when the eigth graders went up to Camp Daivd Jr. at Lake Crescent. We all had cabin groups that we would share cabins with.

The first couple of days it rained but afterwards it was sunny and warm which was pretty nice. So everyday we went somewhere either on bus a or b. We went on hikes and to the beach, we also got to go on a twilight tour in forks. The night before we left there was a skit night where we had to preform skits with our groups, the councelours and teachers also had skits. We also got to go to the hot springs twice. Overall the experience was pretty fun, my favorite part was just hanging around camp. The worst part of odyssey was the long bus rides but everything else was awesome. I had a great time.

:)

in class we did a stream table lab. My table did how different types of liquids affect how much erosion occurs. The liquids we used were 7-up, orange juice,and water. We used a plastic water to fill up the liquids and pur down the stream table. Then we measured with a ruler how deep the erosion was at the starting point of where we pured the liquid. We predicted 7-up would erode more becasue of the carbonation but we were proven wrong, water actually eroded the most.

:)

Article posted May 6, 2009 at 03:33 AM GMT • comment • Reads 89

In class we have been studying seismic waves (earthquake waves).

There are four different kinds of seismic waves.

P-wave: The fastest seismic wave. They can move through solid rock but slow down when they hit water. They move in a pushing and pulling motion (think of a slinky)

S-wave: They move in a shear motion perpindicular to the direction they are moving. They are slower than P-waves and cannot travel through water, only solid rock.

Love wave: There is nothing loving about this wave, they are the fastest of the surface waves and can cause the most damage out of all the seismic waves. They create a horizontal shearing to the ground.

Rayleigh wave: They are also surface waves and travel as ripples similar to waves on the surface of water. They are slightly slower than love waves.

Article posted May 6, 2009 at 03:22 AM GMT • comment • Reads 117

Energy transfers through a lot of different things. Here are some of the ways:

Electrical energy- comes from the outlet and passes through the battery charger into the battery. The outlet decreases in electrical energy, the battery increases in stored chemical energy.

Radiation energy- comes from the sun and passes to the plant. The sun decreases in nlight or radiation from the air, and the plant increases in chemical energy from carbon stores.

My favorite energy transfer is radiation because the sun gives energy to all living things and that is very important.

Article posted April 29, 2009 at 04:16 AM GMT • comment • Reads 100

A couple of weeks ago our class did an earth movement project

Each team picked a boundary and my team got the South American boundary. Each person in a team was assigned a certain job, the jobs were:

Seismologist- study of earthquakes

Volcanologist- study of volcanoes

Geography- study of physical structure of the earth

Geochronology- study of age of sea floor

My jobs were Geochronolgy and Seismologist.

I learned that the sea floor is spreading because the newer sea floor is coming up and spreading out in all directions as it gets older.

:)

Article posted January 27, 2009 at 02:38 AM GMT • comment • Reads 87

Our teacher Mr. Gonzalez did an experiment on how temperature changes density. He used a metal slot and a metal ball, he first put the ball into the slot making sure it fit and was easy to take out. Then he heated the ball with a blow torch to see if it would fit through the slot, but the ball did not fit. This happened because when the ball was heated the molecules in the ball got excited and started moving very fast, therefore needing more room, which led to the expanding of the ball. After it cooled down the ball fit back into the slot.

The mass(weight)of the ball had stayed the same but the volume(size)increased.

To find the density of an object you must divide the mass by the volume. Since the volume had changed so did the density. When something is hotter the density is decreased, when something is colder it increases in density.

Article posted January 27, 2009 at 02:17 AM GMT • comment • Reads 83

So in class we did this assignment about weathering and erosion. We had to create a powerpoint about what weathering and erosion are, the problems they are causing, and solutions to the problems.

This is what i learned:

Weathering and erosion are the processes that sculpt and mold the surface features of earth.

WEATHERING: the breakdown of material by air, water, plants, and animals.

EROSION: the movement or transport of weathered material.

DIFFERENT TYPES OF WEATHERING:

Mechanical Weathering- when rock is physically brokendown.

Chemical Weathering- the process that breaks down rock through chemical changes.

PROBLEMS:

Erosion is carving into beaches.

Expansion of urban and recreational developments into hillside areas leads to more people that are threatened by landslides.

Runoff is contaminating streams and rivers.

SOLUTIONS:

Planting of native salt resistant vegetation.

StayTurf, a fully vegetated reinforced turfgrass surface for bank stabillization, storm water channels, and steep slopes.

Rocks, ground covers and terraces on farms and large fields.

:)

In class we did a lab on making crayons float in water. My team chose to change the sizes of the crayons. They were 2cm, 4cm, and 6cm. We put each crayon in the water one at a time and used spoonfuls of salt to see how many spoonfuls it took to make each sized crayon float.

PREDICTION:

As the size of the crayon increases the amount of salt will increase because as the crayons get bigger it will take more salt to make it float.

Here were our results:

it took 2 spoonfuls of salt to make the 2cm crayon float

it took 3 spoonfuls of salt to make the 4cm crayon float

and it took 4 spoonfuls of salt to make the 6cm crayon float

CONCLUSION:

As the amount of salt changed, the different sized crayons floated with different amounts of salt. This was confusing because each crayon had the same density, which means it should have taken the same amount of salt to make each crayon float. Our prediction was correct. The highest data point was 4 spoonfuls to make the 6cm crayon float. The lowest data point was 2 spoonfuls to make the 2cm crayon float. An uncertainty was that the crayons floated with different amounts of salt. I wonder what would happen if we used iodized salt.

:)

Article posted November 18, 2008 at 01:35 AM GMT • comment • Reads 114

In class we have been learning abaout heat transfers.

Here is some things i learned:

Heat is the vibration of molecules in a substance. Three ways molecules vibrate is by conduction, convection, and radiation.

Conduction occurs when heat energy flows from one molecule to another as they collide. Conductive heat can only pass through solids.

Convection is the flow of energy that occurs in a gas or liquid.

Radiation is waves of energy. For example when the sun hits things on earth, it excites the molecules that make them vibrate faster and creates heat.

:)

Article posted October 21, 2008 at 02:42 AM GMT • comment • Reads 114

In science we have been learning about biomes.

We were given a biome to study and had to make a commercial or infommercial about what we had learned. My team was assigned the Chaparral biome. We made an infommercial about our biome.

Here are some things that i learned about the chaparral:

it's the smallest biome

it has mild rainy winters and long hot dry summers

the chaparral is located in the Meditteranean Basin, California, Central Chile, Southwest Australia, the Cape Province of South Africa, and the tip of Vancouver Island, Canada

region of dense spiny shrubs

A BIOME IS A MAJOR REGIONAL COMMUNITY, SUCH AS A DESERT OR GRASSLAND, CHARACTERIZED BY ITS DOMINANT PLANT, ANIMAL LIFE, AND CLIMATE.