Copyright (c) 2016 by Meg Griffin Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister

The Griffin Grapevine

Students learn through a workshop system in Reading & Writing, Inquiry in Science & Social Studies, and Math everywhere! We love reading comments from others about our thoughts and work. Please leave an address or URL so we can respond.

by Meg Griffin

Mrs. Parisi 4th Grade
Mrs. Lakatta 4C

Article posted March 20, 2016 at 07:41 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 543

Mystery Skype!BY SC

We asked “Are you west of the Mississippi?” They replied “No” They asked “Are you located in Pennsylvania?” We all asked “HOW DID YOU KNOW!” We asked if they bordered an ocean, they do. We also asked if they were one of the 13 original colonies, they said “No.” We eventually discovered that they were in Florida, so we decided to narrow it down into counties. They found we were in Bucks County. So now they are trying to discover what city we’re in. We finally found that they’re in the city of Naples. Our Mystery Skype ended after that.

Article posted March 20, 2016 at 07:40 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 22

Mystery Skype Today 2 by DB

Today we had another Mystery Skype. We did this with a group called Digital leader Teachers. They were really good at Mystery Skype. We started off by saying "are you on the west side of the Mississippi?They replied "no".Then they asked "are you a continental state"? We replied "no". Then after three questions they guessed that we lived in Pennsylvania and were correct. Then we asked "how did you find that out"?There answer was "somebody said something with a Pennsylvania accent. Then we guessed cities/county's. First they guessed Philadelphia but on their second try they guessed our county Bucks County. My class was so impressed,But I think I was the only one who realized they ruined our perfect record. But I'm glad we did it anyway.

Article posted March 20, 2016 at 07:38 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 21

Mystery Skype Today by DB

Mystery Skype is amazing! You try to guess the other classes state by asking questions like do you live east of the Mississippi. In my experience I find It fun to be the one talking. I also like when my class wins, I mean I love It when my class wins. Mystery Skype Is so amazing in so many amazing ways.

Article posted March 20, 2016 at 07:38 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 25

Mystery Skype Today by DB

Article posted February 3, 2016 at 09:09 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 1508

Something new this year. we will be participating in a Quad Blogging activity. The students will be sharing blog posts and learning more about each other. Look for more to come. Here is Mrs. Parisi's post with all the details.kidblog.org/class/dentongeminigrade4/posts/09fwogks4klke9lnjpr4fq0eh

Article posted December 10, 2015 at 10:51 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 626

Fourth grade has gotten off to an excellent start. The students this year are so eager to learn! We had our second Mystery Skype experience yesterday afternoon. I am so proud of how the students have been able to create really specific questions. They guessed yesterday's class in 4 tries! Thanks to Mrs. Lisa Parisi and her class at Denton Avenue School in New York.  Afterwards, the students discussed the differences between a mostly urban school and a suburban/rural school.

Mystery Skype December 2015Mystery Skype December 2015

It is great to connect!

Article posted August 27, 2015 at 08:15 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 744

It seems that last year we did not do the blogging that I would have liked. Every year there are more and more topics to cover and things to do. This year, I hope to get my students back into the authentic writing of a blog.

Article posted April 28, 2015 at 09:25 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 142

Every year my fourth graders read Lynne Cherry’s The Great Kapok Tree. They research a rainforest organism, create posters urging their schoolmates to act now to help protect the rainforest, and finally they create a dramatization of the story. Weeks of research, memorizing lines and rainforest facts, and creating props and costumes culminates in a Broadway worthy performance for friends and family.

As I assume most teachers do, I try to refresh our project every year. Some years we write letters to the newspaper, sell t-shirts, or create PSA type videos. This year I had the good fortune to connect with Karen of South Carolina.

I know Karen from my days as a Discovery Education “Star” Educator. Discovery produces and archives educational videos, articles, photos, speeches, and songs available to schools as for fee product. For those teachers lucky enough to have access, Discovery also offers an unbelievable opportunity to meet and collaborate world-wide with educators, scientists, and other professionals. Karen, as a Discovery Star, had the opportunity to travel to Churchill, Canada and learn first-hand about climate change and the polar bears.

This week Karen met with my students using Skype. Karen shared photographs of her trip. The students were amazed to see the size of the polar bear’s claw. When Karen shocked my students when she opened the skull of a female polar bear and placed its enormous teeth against her own head.

We were able to visualize the dramatic changes to the sea ice over time using one of several recorded animations available on the web. Students clearly understood the connection between the climate change, sea ice changes, and our future.

The connection my students have made to our study of the rainforest has been amazing. While they always seem to “get” the need to “go green” before, now they seem to really understand the implications for themselves and their future.

I am reminded of the old children’s tale that tells of a kingdom lost for want of a nail. Our world, our future will surely be lost for want of a connection. If we fail to understand that what happens in the Arctic, or the Amazon, or anywhere else in the world affects us all we are doomed. The connections that we can so easily make today through Twitter, Skype, Facebook, etc. allow us to personally connect to people and places thousands of miles away.

Article posted September 14, 2014 at 08:50 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 7149

Welcome back to another great year from fourth grade! As you long time readers know, some years the students really love to blog, and other years not-so-much. I encourage students to activate their learning in whatever way makes sense to them and furthers their growth.

We are just about complete our beginning of year baselines, so hopefully blogging will begin shortyly.

Article posted February 7, 2014 at 12:30 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 5110

So far the winter of 2013 - 2014 has been the coldest and snowest in a long time. We have already missed five days of school!! Our school was without power for a few days this week because of the ice storm. This week we had three days of no school and two days with delayed openings. I wonder when we will get out in June?! Read the students' accounts of their experiences with WS Nika.

2015-2016

I am a fourth grade teacher who loves to teach and loves to learn. Teaching is the best job in the world because I get to go to school and learn. I enjoy reading, gardening, knitting, and the beach. I have two sons. Discovery Educator Network Locations of visitors to this page

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Follow this site