Copyright (c) 2014 by Meg Griffin Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Meg Griffin -- Blogmeister

The Griffin Grapevine

Fourth Grade

Students learn through a workshop system in Reading & Writing, Inquiry in Science & Social Studies, and Math everywhere! We love reading comments from others about our thoughts and work. Please leave an address or URL so we can respond.

by Meg Griffin

Geography Bee Challenges

Article posted February 7, 2014 at 12:30 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 4577

So far the winter of 2013 - 2014 has been the coldest and snowest in a long time. We have already missed five days of school!! Our school was without power for a few days this week because of the ice storm. This week we had three days of no school and two days with delayed openings. I wonder when we will get out in June?! Read the students' accounts of their experiences with WS Nika.

Article posted September 27, 2013 at 03:01 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 99

Dot Day 2013 Students celebrated Dot Day 2013 on Friday - September 13. As usual, students enjoyed eating Dots candy while "Making their marks." This year we combined our reading of A Hat for Ivan, our school theme (I am Special) with Dot Day. Students incorporated what makes them special into their dots. They drew pictures, shapes, colored, and used markers. All unusual opportunities in a 4th grade classroom in 2013. Look for their dots coming soon. In the meantime, enjoy a brief view of our Dot Day.

Article posted September 25, 2013 at 04:49 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 231

photo

Last week, Mrs. Griffin's 4th grade class did a mystery Skype with a 3rd grade class somewhere in the USA. The object was to use map skills and questioning strategies to find out where in the USA the class was. Everyone had a job to do. Of course there were photojournalists/bloggers who were Kayla, Emily, and Emma. The questions asked by the Communicators (Brady & Luke) had to have only a possible yes or no answer. What we found out was that the other class was not near an ocean, is not too hot or too cold right now, and they live in the northeast region of the USA.

SDC12012

During the mystery Skype, most of us had a specific job. Alec and Tyler were questioners and had to make sure the questions could be answered by a yes or a no. Jake & Brennan used Google Earth to try and locate the mystery state. Jack and Matthew kept track of states that we eliminated as possibilities. Nicole & Nick documented the questions asked along with the answers. Everyone else had a map and an atlas to solve the mystery.

SDC12003

Click below to see and here about our experience.

VoiceThread

Article posted August 12, 2013 at 03:52 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 175

Happy New Year!!

I know, New Year's is January 1st. But for students and teachers everywhere the New Year is when school returns to session. I remember being so excited to get brand new copybooks, crayons, and supplies. It was a chance to start anew. No, I didn't look forward to the early mornings then, and I still don't now. But there is nothing like a free "Do-over." In the world of education every new year is a new chance to be who you want to be. Was last year not quite what you wanted? Did you not put forth your best? No problem, the year starts again and you get to pick your path. So, get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy breakfast, and get ready to shout "Happy New Year!" with me.

Article posted February 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 87

Every yearin January the students read biographies of their choice. After they read the biography they write a letter to somone summarizing the famous person's life. In addition to mailing their letters, the students have posted their biography summaries to their blogs. Who have you read about? What did their life teach you?

Article posted August 31, 2012 at 01:56 PM GMT-5 • comment (6) • Reads 116

So many teachers, principals, and parents have quotes of advice for starting a new school year. Here at Cold Spring our motto for the new year is "Be more than just ok!" We want to extend ourselves and do more than what is required.

Do you have a favorite quote or saying to share? Why do you think your quote is important? What is the message it gives?

Thanks for helping us own our learning as we begin the new school year.

Article posted August 26, 2012 at 04:55 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 108

The last weekend of summer is coming to an end. I had a wonderful time in Ocean City New Jersey and got to spend time with my husband, and both my sons. That is really a treat! I also read "The Art of Racing in the Rain." It is a great book for dog lovers, like me!

I was at school last week unpacking supplies and books for the coming year. Have you decorated your writer's notebook yet? I always liked getting new supplies for school. I have loved reading your blog posts and your survey comments. I can tell we are going to have a great year.

Enjoy your last week or so of summer and I'll see you soon.

Mrs. Griffin

Article posted July 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM GMT-5 • comment (13) • Reads 117

Wow! What a great summer it has been! I hope you are having a great summer too! Remember we talked about our goals and plans for the summer? How are they coming? What are you up to?

I have been so busy...I have spent  a lot of time in my garden, although lately it has been too hot. I have also been running, swimming, and riding my bike. I was really slow, but I finished and am proud of my hard work.And guess what, I did my first triathlon! I hope you are having good luck with your sports and activities.

I hope you are reading some good things. I just finished the second book of the Hunger Games series. Wow! It is a pretty intense series. What are you reading?

Anybody go on vacation yet? I know some of you were going on cruises. I'll bet they were loads of fun! I have spent some time at the Jersey Shore. Mr. Griffin and I are going to Maine too to see Acadia National Park.

I look forward to hearing about your summer. Make sure to check in on your fourth grade classmates' posts too. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and I'll see you in September.

Article posted January 9, 2012 at 09:46 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 105

Do you have someone you respect or admire? Perhaps even a hero? Students are spending the month of January reading biographies and learning about important people in our world. Check in and see the students' reflections as they learn more about their chosen person.

Article posted October 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM GMT-5 • comment (5) • Reads 101

Homework has been around since the first days of school. Many people, including teachers, wonder if children should have homework. Is homework an important way to reinforce learning and include parents in their child's school experiences? Or, is homework too much work after a long, hard day? The students gave some thought to homeowrk and wrote a blog post. We would love to know what you think. Please see the individual blogs to the left.

2013 - 2014

I am a fourth grade teacher who loves to teach and loves to learn. Teaching is the best job in the world because I get to go to school and learn. I enjoy reading, gardening, knitting, and the beach. I have two sons. Discovery Educator Network Locations of visitors to this page

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Follow this site