Copyright (c) 2014 by Julie Hooper Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Julie Hooper -- Blogmeister

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”
― B.B. King

by Julie Hooper

Nation Ford High School Media Center

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Here is another vampire book for people who don’t like vampire books, and I LOVED it! This is much more a romance than your typical blood sucker book, and it reminded me of the intensity of first love.

Bella moves to Oregon from Phoenix to live with her father after her mother remarries. That is the kind of girl Bella is. She doesn’t move because she would rather be in rainy Forks, Oregon than in bright and sunny Arizona; she moves because she thinks it would be best for her mother’s new marriage. Anyway, despite the gloomy atmosphere, things work out pretty well for Bella in Forks. She enjoys living with her sweet father, Charlie, who her mother left when she was just a toddler. She is astounded to be sought after by the boys in her high school, since she has never had a boyfriend in Phoenix. But the only boy who holds her attention is the mysterious and beautiful (yes, there is no other word for him) Edward Cullen. Edward inexplicably vacillates between an extreme interest in Bella and seeming fury at her, and she is soon to discover why.

This is the story of a girl’s first love; it just happens that she is in love with a vampire. Edward is not just any vampire, though. He and his family do not feast on the blood of humans but only hunt wild animals. Here is the blurb from the back of the book:

“About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him – and I didn’t know how dominant that part might be – that thirsted for my blood.
And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.”

I didn’t want this book to end. I loved the characters, so I was thrilled to learn the sequel, New Moon is due out in August. I can’t wait to read it!

Article posted June 29, 2006 at 10:23 AM • comment • Reads 64 • see all articles

Media Center Staff Reviews
Student Book Reviews

What are all those people doing in the NaFo Media Center in the morning????