Copyright (c) 2014 by Julie Hooper Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Julie Hooper -- Blogmeister

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”
― B.B. King

by Julie Hooper

Nation Ford High School Media Center

Leverage by Joshua C. Cohen
Leverage was not at all what I expected. I thought it was going to be that typical “high school jocks on steroids versus the weaker kids who are saved by the outsider “ plot, but it turned out to be much more powerful. Be warned: this book contains very graphic scenes of violence. It is not for the faint of heart. A triumvirate of football players terrorizes athletes on “lesser” teams, culminating in an act of unspeakable violence. There are two witnesses, but both are afraid to tell what they saw. Danny, a fabulously talented though undersized gymnast, is afraid the jocks will kill him if they find out he was there. Kurt, a mammoth of a boy recruited to help the football team win the state championship, is haunted by a terrible event in his past and just can’t tell on his teammates. Finally a girl with mad tech skills helps the boys confront the abusers and bring what happened out into the light of day. If you want a suspenseful thought provoking tale ripped from recent headlines, this is your book.

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM • comment • Reads 57 • see all articles

Media Center Staff Reviews
Student Book Reviews

What are all those people doing in the NaFo Media Center in the morning????