Copyright (c) 2015 by Julie Hooper Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Julie Hooper -- Blogmeister

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”
― B.B. King

by Julie Hooper

Nation Ford High School Media Center

The troubling visions started when Ellie mixed the ashes of a long dead bat with some beer and convinced Glory to drink it. Suddenly both girls are seeing into the pasts and futures of every stranger they pass on the street, but it is only Glory who is getting terrifying glimpses of a second Civil War where women’s rights disappear completely and the entire United States is thrown into poverty and chaos. It doesn’t help that the visions start coming right on the heels of Glory’s high school graduation, serving as a further reminder that she has no freaking idea what to do with her life. Her best friend Ellie, a modern day hippie who lives on the commune next door, is too busy chasing boys and dealing with the unwelcome surprise of an STD to have an opinion, while Glory’s father, a virtual shut-in since Glory’s mother Darla committed suicide years ago, can’t move forward in his own life, let alone help Glory with hers. So Glory retreats to her dead mother’s photo developing darkroom, where she finds a hidden portfolio of pictures and starts to piece together the puzzle of her family’s past in order to make some sense of the dead bat visions and her own uncertain future. This is not a read-all-in-one-sitting story with a page-turning plot, but rather a novel of ideas that deserves patience and contemplation as readers ponder their own personal and intellectual journeys as they travel along with Glory on hers. ~ Reading Rants

Disclaimer: Contains mature content.

The Walls Around Us is a ghostly story of suspense told in two voices— one still living and one dead. On the outside, there’s Violet, an eighteen-year-old dancer days away from the life of her dreams when something threatens to expose the shocking truth of her achievement. On the inside, within the walls of a girls’ juvenile detention center, there’s Amber, behind bars for so long she can’t imagine freedom. Tying these two worlds together is Orianna, who holds the key to unlocking all the girls’ darkest mysteries. We hear Amber’s story and Violet’s, and through them Orianna’s, first from one angle, then from another, until gradually we begin to get the whole picture—which is not necessarily the one that either Amber or Violet wants us to see. Nova Ren Suma tells a supernatural tale of guilt and innocence, and what happens when one is mistaken for the other. ~ Algonquin Books

“You see? You're just figuring it out now, but I discovered a long time ago that the smarter you are, the more tempting it is to just let people imagine you. We move through each other's lives like ghosts, leaving behind haunting memories of people who never existed.” ― Robyn Schneider, The Beginning of Everything

http://picasion.com/
http://picasion.com/

What if the worst thing that ever happened to you was the beginning of everything? Smart, funny and thoroughly enjoyable!

They kept on like that for a while, and we laughed and told jokes and made fun of one another. But that’s why they were there, I guess. Even though I was almost gone, they were still there to remind me that I wasn’t quite dead yet. And to be honest, I wouldn’t have minded just closing my eyes right then and letting go. Wouldn’t that be perfect? Just dying right there with your two best friends helping you remember everything you loved about being alive?

And that’s how, five days before having my head sawed off my body and carefully placed in a cryogenic freezer in the basement of the Saranson Center for Life Preservation, I got to have the best day of my life. Isn’t that something? Isn’t that the greatest thing you’ve ever heard? I bet most people don’t even get one person who cares about them that much. And me, I got four of them. Yeah, maybe I got a bad deal the first time around. Sure, it wasn’t fair to be dead at sixteen. But you know what? At least I got to live every single second before they finally turned out the lights.

This delightful book is narrated by Travis Coates, the sixteen year old who has his head surgically removed and frozen before his body dies of leukemia. When his head is reanimated and joined to a new and improved body five years later, Travis finds his best friend and girlfriend (the They in the excerpt above) have moved on because they had no choice. Funny and poignant in a way that reminds me of John Green at his best with a large dose of wacky thrown in for good measure.

A motherless blind girl from France

A bright orphan boy from Germany

A cursed diamond, WWII and a beautifully written story

“Tackling questions of survival, endurance and moral obligations during wartime, the book is as precise and artful and ingenious as the puzzle boxes the heroine’s locksmith father builds for her. Impressively, it is also a vastly entertaining feat of storytelling.” –New York Times Book Review

Based on events in the life of groundbreaking and controversial anthropologist Margaret Mead, this literary novel centers on a love triangle between Nell and Fen Stone and English anthropologist Andrew Bankston. Nell and Fen are returning from their study of a blood thirsty native tribe in New Guinea when they meet Bankston, who has been alone in the field for several years and has grown increasingly frustrated with his own work. When, desperate to keep them nearby, he convinces them to study a tribe that is artistic and female dominated, “he ignites an intellectual and emotional firestorm between the three of them that burns out of anyone’s control”.

Disclaimer: This book contains mature content.

Words like ‘”pretty” and “ugly” exist in a different vocabulary from the one you might invent to describe a face that had to be put back together by a team of surgeons. My face is strange and terrible.

Something happened to Sean Phillips when he was 17. Years after accident, he supports himself by running Trace Italian, a text-based mail-in role playing game. The idea for the game came to him almost as a hallucination while he was in and out of consciousness after his accident. Chapters skip back and forth in time, lending a dreamlike feeling to the book. What happened to Sean? Who are Lance and Carrie, and why are Carrie’s parents suing Sean? A gripping and dark read.

I spent most of my teenage years in hospitals and physical therapy rehabs. It gets so lonely living inside your own head. Because of my face I could not even wear headphones for listening to music. So I invented a world in the future and I called it the Trace Italian. It was a place where I could have adventures, and when I grew up, I wanted to share those adventures with other people.

Best YA book of 2014! If you are a fan of John Green, Rainbow Rowell and David Leviathan, I’ll Give You the Sun is a MUST READ.

"Sun is so much more than just another teenage love story with Real Life Themes; it’s a meditation on life, art, family, fate, and how even the most broken people can help fix one another. Like an artist with a paintbrush, Jandy Nelson weaves it all together to create a reading experience that can only be described as synesthetic. You can taste Noah’s passion, hear the echo of Jude’s grief, and feel the words leap off the page and whip across your face like grains of sand in the wind. This book will tear through you like a hurricane, leaving you in ruined awe. If you want to remember what it’s like to truly surrender to a book and let it pull you under like a riptide, pick up I’ll Give You the Sun and bask in it." —The Huffington Post

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

The latest in the series by Stephanie Perkins which includes Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door is another romantic romp featuring students in an American school in Paris. Lola and Josh are an adorable couple, but Lola’s best friend, Kurt, stole the book! Who are your favorite characters in this series?

Media Center Staff Reviews
Student Book Reviews

What are all those people doing in the NaFo Media Center in the morning????