Copyright (c) 2015 by Julie Hooper Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Julie Hooper -- Blogmeister

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”
― B.B. King

by Julie Hooper

Nation Ford High School Media Center

Best YA book of 2014! If you are a fan of John Green, Rainbow Rowell and David Leviathan, I’ll Give You the Sun is a MUST READ.

"Sun is so much more than just another teenage love story with Real Life Themes; it’s a meditation on life, art, family, fate, and how even the most broken people can help fix one another. Like an artist with a paintbrush, Jandy Nelson weaves it all together to create a reading experience that can only be described as synesthetic. You can taste Noah’s passion, hear the echo of Jude’s grief, and feel the words leap off the page and whip across your face like grains of sand in the wind. This book will tear through you like a hurricane, leaving you in ruined awe. If you want to remember what it’s like to truly surrender to a book and let it pull you under like a riptide, pick up I’ll Give You the Sun and bask in it." —The Huffington Post

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

The latest in the series by Stephanie Perkins which includes Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door is another romantic romp featuring students in an American school in Paris. Lola and Josh are an adorable couple, but Lola’s best friend, Kurt, stole the book! Who are your favorite characters in this series?

Jace is a teen who discovers a dead body and witnesses a killing. Now the killers are after him. Ethan and his wife Allison run a wilderness survival program for teens in the remote mountains of Montana. What better place to hide a witness? Until the Blackwell brothers, some of the scariest villains in print show up to kill Jace and anybody who gets in their way. This fast paced thriller kept me turning the pages!

I was sent here because of a boy. His name was Reeve Maxfield, and I loved him and then he died, and almost a year passed and no one knew what to do with me. ~Jam Gallahue

Jam, short for Jamaica, has loved and lost and can’t seem to get it back together. Her parents send her to the Wooden Barn, a boarding school for “emotionally fragile, highly intelligent” teenagers. As she and her four classmates in Special Topics for English, all grieving from a loss, study Sylvia Plath for the entire semester, they discover writing in their journals takes them to a place where the past is restored. They call this place Belzhar, and they can’t get enough of it. Will they be able to give up reliving the past to move on with their lives?

A companion to the epic fantasy series Rothfuss began with The Name of the Wind and continued in The Wise Man’s Fear, this novella centers on Auri, the mysterious and shy waif who lives below the University in what she calls the Underthing. The Underthing is a world of tunnels, underground rooms, murky pools, tangles of pipes and the detritus of other people’s lives. I read this slim volume in one sitting, devouring Auri’s third person account of the seven days leading up to one of Kvothe’s visits. I now impatiently await volume three of the Kingkiller Trilogy, Doors of Stone.

It’s not book three. It’s not a mammoth tome that you can use to threaten people and hold open doors. It’s a short, sweet story about one of my favorite characters. It’s a book about Auri. ~ Patrick Rothfuss

Eighty one year old Alice looks back on her life in this work of historical fiction. This is THE Alice who inspired Lewis Carroll’s classic, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.  A photograph of a 10 year old Alice taken by Carroll appears near the beginning of the book. Carroll, named Charles Dodgson in real life, was a stuttering professor of mathematics at Oxford College where Alice's father was a dean.  

Here is what the author said about the picture in an interview: "It inspired me to wonder about the relationship between photographer and subject--her expression in it was so frank, so worldly, so adult. Much has been speculated about Alice's relationship with Charles Dodgson. To me the relationship is summed up in her eyes in the photo. Although she was seven and definitely not seductive--I would never say that--she was certainly aware that she had a powerful hold over this man, that she was important to him. Her instincts were still those of a child, but I have to believe that as she moved toward adolescence, she probably romanticized this power she knew she held. So no, she was never a victim, and I don't see him as predatory. I think their relationship was more complex than that. And, of course, that startling photograph, combined with the unflappability of Alice's voice in the books, made me wonder about the woman she became. It made me want to tell Alice's story, her entire story, not just the story of the child in the photograph."

After being relentlessly bullied for years, high school senior Leslie commits suicide. Leslie’s heartbroken parents file a civil lawsuit against the students who participated in the systematic bullying. I Swear tells the story from the point of view of four scared students, revealing the secrets and motivations of a larger group of tormentors. Are any of them really innocent?

As Red as Blood is reminiscent of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but it is written for a young adult audience, so it is much less violent and dark while still being quite the thriller. Something in Lumikki’s childhood has taught her that is it safer not to be noticed. Only 17, she lives alone in a rundown apartment and attends an arts magnet high school 70 miles away from her parents. Despite her best efforts to remain apart from all high school drama, Lumikki is drawn into a dangerous cat and mouse game when she stumbles upon cash being literally laundered in the school darkroom. Three of the most popular kids at her school have found a bag of bloody euros and intend to keep it. The bad guys that left the bloody cash as a message for one of their associates, a crooked cop, want the money back. Mistaken identity, an international crime ring, murder and more kept me turning pages. Readers will wait anxiously for the second and third books in the series to be published in English.

Read this one if you like edgy psychological thrillers. Jamie and his sister Cate are adopted into a wealthy family after the murder of their young, unstable and poverty stricken mother. Cate was always the good one - until she wasn't. Jamie learns she is getting out of jail after serving time for burning down a horse barn and injuring a classmate. Why didn’t their adoptive parents tell him she is getting out? Is Cate coming back for him? What can’t Jaime remember and why?

“Metaphorically speaking, Complicit broke all the windows of my house and left me hiding under the bed like a dog spooked by 4th of July fireworks.” William Polking, the Nerdy Book Club

Media Center Staff Reviews
Student Book Reviews

What are all those people doing in the NaFo Media Center in the morning????