Copyright (c) 2015 by Julie Hooper Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Julie Hooper -- Blogmeister

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”
― B.B. King

by Julie Hooper

Nation Ford High School Media Center

Based on events in the life of groundbreaking and controversial anthropologist Margaret Mead, this literary novel centers on a love triangle between Nell and Fen Stone and English anthropologist Andrew Bankston. Nell and Fen are returning from their study of a blood thirsty native tribe in New Guinea when they meet Bankston, who has been alone in the field for several years and has grown increasingly frustrated with his own work. When, desperate to keep them nearby, he convinces them to study a tribe that is artistic and female dominated, “he ignites an intellectual and emotional firestorm between the three of them that burns out of anyone’s control”.

Disclaimer: This book contains mature content.

Words like ‘”pretty” and “ugly” exist in a different vocabulary from the one you might invent to describe a face that had to be put back together by a team of surgeons. My face is strange and terrible.

Something happened to Sean Phillips when he was 17. Years after accident, he supports himself by running Trace Italian, a text-based mail-in role playing game. The idea for the game came to him almost as a hallucination while he was in and out of consciousness after his accident. Chapters skip back and forth in time, lending a dreamlike feeling to the book. What happened to Sean? Who are Lance and Carrie, and why are Carrie’s parents suing Sean? A gripping and dark read.

I spent most of my teenage years in hospitals and physical therapy rehabs. It gets so lonely living inside your own head. Because of my face I could not even wear headphones for listening to music. So I invented a world in the future and I called it the Trace Italian. It was a place where I could have adventures, and when I grew up, I wanted to share those adventures with other people.

Best YA book of 2014! If you are a fan of John Green, Rainbow Rowell and David Leviathan, I’ll Give You the Sun is a MUST READ.

"Sun is so much more than just another teenage love story with Real Life Themes; it’s a meditation on life, art, family, fate, and how even the most broken people can help fix one another. Like an artist with a paintbrush, Jandy Nelson weaves it all together to create a reading experience that can only be described as synesthetic. You can taste Noah’s passion, hear the echo of Jude’s grief, and feel the words leap off the page and whip across your face like grains of sand in the wind. This book will tear through you like a hurricane, leaving you in ruined awe. If you want to remember what it’s like to truly surrender to a book and let it pull you under like a riptide, pick up I’ll Give You the Sun and bask in it." —The Huffington Post

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

The latest in the series by Stephanie Perkins which includes Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door is another romantic romp featuring students in an American school in Paris. Lola and Josh are an adorable couple, but Lola’s best friend, Kurt, stole the book! Who are your favorite characters in this series?

Jace is a teen who discovers a dead body and witnesses a killing. Now the killers are after him. Ethan and his wife Allison run a wilderness survival program for teens in the remote mountains of Montana. What better place to hide a witness? Until the Blackwell brothers, some of the scariest villains in print show up to kill Jace and anybody who gets in their way. This fast paced thriller kept me turning the pages!

I was sent here because of a boy. His name was Reeve Maxfield, and I loved him and then he died, and almost a year passed and no one knew what to do with me. ~Jam Gallahue

Jam, short for Jamaica, has loved and lost and can’t seem to get it back together. Her parents send her to the Wooden Barn, a boarding school for “emotionally fragile, highly intelligent” teenagers. As she and her four classmates in Special Topics for English, all grieving from a loss, study Sylvia Plath for the entire semester, they discover writing in their journals takes them to a place where the past is restored. They call this place Belzhar, and they can’t get enough of it. Will they be able to give up reliving the past to move on with their lives?

A companion to the epic fantasy series Rothfuss began with The Name of the Wind and continued in The Wise Man’s Fear, this novella centers on Auri, the mysterious and shy waif who lives below the University in what she calls the Underthing. The Underthing is a world of tunnels, underground rooms, murky pools, tangles of pipes and the detritus of other people’s lives. I read this slim volume in one sitting, devouring Auri’s third person account of the seven days leading up to one of Kvothe’s visits. I now impatiently await volume three of the Kingkiller Trilogy, Doors of Stone.

It’s not book three. It’s not a mammoth tome that you can use to threaten people and hold open doors. It’s a short, sweet story about one of my favorite characters. It’s a book about Auri. ~ Patrick Rothfuss

Eighty one year old Alice looks back on her life in this work of historical fiction. This is THE Alice who inspired Lewis Carroll’s classic, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.  A photograph of a 10 year old Alice taken by Carroll appears near the beginning of the book. Carroll, named Charles Dodgson in real life, was a stuttering professor of mathematics at Oxford College where Alice's father was a dean.  

Here is what the author said about the picture in an interview: "It inspired me to wonder about the relationship between photographer and subject--her expression in it was so frank, so worldly, so adult. Much has been speculated about Alice's relationship with Charles Dodgson. To me the relationship is summed up in her eyes in the photo. Although she was seven and definitely not seductive--I would never say that--she was certainly aware that she had a powerful hold over this man, that she was important to him. Her instincts were still those of a child, but I have to believe that as she moved toward adolescence, she probably romanticized this power she knew she held. So no, she was never a victim, and I don't see him as predatory. I think their relationship was more complex than that. And, of course, that startling photograph, combined with the unflappability of Alice's voice in the books, made me wonder about the woman she became. It made me want to tell Alice's story, her entire story, not just the story of the child in the photograph."

After being relentlessly bullied for years, high school senior Leslie commits suicide. Leslie’s heartbroken parents file a civil lawsuit against the students who participated in the systematic bullying. I Swear tells the story from the point of view of four scared students, revealing the secrets and motivations of a larger group of tormentors. Are any of them really innocent?

Media Center Staff Reviews
Student Book Reviews

What are all those people doing in the NaFo Media Center in the morning????