Copyright (c) 2014 by Julie Hooper Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Julie Hooper -- Blogmeister

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”
― B.B. King

by Julie Hooper

Nation Ford High School Media Center

I was sent here because of a boy. His name was Reeve Maxfield, and I loved him and then he died, and almost a year passed and no one knew what to do with me. ~Jam Gallahue

Jam, short for Jamaica, has loved and lost and can’t seem to get it back together. Her parents send her to the Wooden Barn, a boarding school for “emotionally fragile, highly intelligent” teenagers. As she and her four classmates in Special Topics for English, all grieving from a loss, study Sylvia Plath for the entire semester, they discover writing in their journals takes them to a place where the past is restored. They call this place Belzhar, and they can’t get enough of it. Will they be able to give up reliving the past to move on with their lives?

A companion to the epic fantasy series Rothfuss began with The Name of the Wind and continued in The Wise Man’s Fear, this novella centers on Auri, the mysterious and shy waif who lives below the University in what she calls the Underthing. The Underthing is a world of tunnels, underground rooms, murky pools, tangles of pipes and the detritus of other people’s lives. I read this slim volume in one sitting, devouring Auri’s third person account of the seven days leading up to one of Kvothe’s visits. I now impatiently await volume three of the Kingkiller Trilogy, Doors of Stone.

It’s not book three. It’s not a mammoth tome that you can use to threaten people and hold open doors. It’s a short, sweet story about one of my favorite characters. It’s a book about Auri. ~ Patrick Rothfuss

Eighty one year old Alice looks back on her life in this work of historical fiction. This is THE Alice who inspired Lewis Carroll’s classic, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.  A photograph of a 10 year old Alice taken by Carroll appears near the beginning of the book. Carroll, named Charles Dodgson in real life, was a stuttering professor of mathematics at Oxford College where Alice's father was a dean.  

Here is what the author said about the picture in an interview: "It inspired me to wonder about the relationship between photographer and subject--her expression in it was so frank, so worldly, so adult. Much has been speculated about Alice's relationship with Charles Dodgson. To me the relationship is summed up in her eyes in the photo. Although she was seven and definitely not seductive--I would never say that--she was certainly aware that she had a powerful hold over this man, that she was important to him. Her instincts were still those of a child, but I have to believe that as she moved toward adolescence, she probably romanticized this power she knew she held. So no, she was never a victim, and I don't see him as predatory. I think their relationship was more complex than that. And, of course, that startling photograph, combined with the unflappability of Alice's voice in the books, made me wonder about the woman she became. It made me want to tell Alice's story, her entire story, not just the story of the child in the photograph."

After being relentlessly bullied for years, high school senior Leslie commits suicide. Leslie’s heartbroken parents file a civil lawsuit against the students who participated in the systematic bullying. I Swear tells the story from the point of view of four scared students, revealing the secrets and motivations of a larger group of tormentors. Are any of them really innocent?

As Red as Blood is reminiscent of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but it is written for a young adult audience, so it is much less violent and dark while still being quite the thriller. Something in Lumikki’s childhood has taught her that is it safer not to be noticed. Only 17, she lives alone in a rundown apartment and attends an arts magnet high school 70 miles away from her parents. Despite her best efforts to remain apart from all high school drama, Lumikki is drawn into a dangerous cat and mouse game when she stumbles upon cash being literally laundered in the school darkroom. Three of the most popular kids at her school have found a bag of bloody euros and intend to keep it. The bad guys that left the bloody cash as a message for one of their associates, a crooked cop, want the money back. Mistaken identity, an international crime ring, murder and more kept me turning pages. Readers will wait anxiously for the second and third books in the series to be published in English.

Read this one if you like edgy psychological thrillers. Jamie and his sister Cate are adopted into a wealthy family after the murder of their young, unstable and poverty stricken mother. Cate was always the good one - until she wasn't. Jamie learns she is getting out of jail after serving time for burning down a horse barn and injuring a classmate. Why didn’t their adoptive parents tell him she is getting out? Is Cate coming back for him? What can’t Jaime remember and why?

“Metaphorically speaking, Complicit broke all the windows of my house and left me hiding under the bed like a dog spooked by 4th of July fireworks.” William Polking, the Nerdy Book Club

Peter Byerly is a widower grieving his beloved wife when he chances upon a miniature portrait of her tucked in an old book. But wait, it can’t be his wife; the watercolor looks hundreds of years old. Peter, an antique book dealer who suffers from social anxiety, becomes a sleuth as he tracks down clues as to the origin and subject of this portrait. In the course of his investigation, he discovers a literary “Holy Grail”, which could put to rest once and for all speculation that Shakespeare was the not the author of his works. Part mystery, part literary history with a love story thrown in for good measure, this book moves back and forth between the 1980s, the present and the Shakespearean era.

www.LooGix.com
www.LooGix.com

Article posted July 14, 2014 at 04:35 PM GMT0 • comment • Reads 1467

The year is 2051 and Earth is being destroyed by global warming. The U.S. has been divided into two states, Eastern and Western, with a large wasteland in between. The government controlled states have many seeming advantages, but Faith’s family lives outside the states. They are Drifters, who resist the government. Faith has attended many different schools, because the population outside the states is getting smaller and smaller. Her best friend leaves for the Western state, and she is sad and lonely. She is attracted to a boy who is training for the World Games, but that turns out very badly indeed. Dylan is watching her and helps her learn how to control her Pulse, the ability to move objects with her mind. Is Faith the one who is destined to help Dylan save the world? This first book in the trilogy has me ready for number two!

Article posted July 14, 2014 at 04:17 PM GMT0 • comment • Reads 287

Imagine your meddlesome but well intentioned best friend signs you up for an online dating site. You are irritated, but curious. You login and almost immediately see a profile picture of a man who you loved and lost many years ago. Would you contact him? What if you discovered this long lost love was involved in the disappearance of not one, but several women?

Detective Kat Donovan is wrestling with ghosts from her past in this fast paced novel. Her investigation also calls into question the circumstances of her detective father’s murderer. Why did her father’s partner, now her boss, visit the man accused of murdering her father just before he confessed? Coben keeps the plot twists coming in this satisfying read.

Media Center Staff Reviews
Student Book Reviews

What are all those people doing in the NaFo Media Center in the morning????