Copyright (c) 2015 by Julie Hooper Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Julie Hooper -- Blogmeister

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”
― B.B. King

by Julie Hooper

Nation Ford High School Media Center

“You see? You're just figuring it out now, but I discovered a long time ago that the smarter you are, the more tempting it is to just let people imagine you. We move through each other's lives like ghosts, leaving behind haunting memories of people who never existed.” ― Robyn Schneider, The Beginning of Everything

http://picasion.com/
http://picasion.com/

What if the worst thing that ever happened to you was the beginning of everything? Smart, funny and thoroughly enjoyable!

They kept on like that for a while, and we laughed and told jokes and made fun of one another. But that’s why they were there, I guess. Even though I was almost gone, they were still there to remind me that I wasn’t quite dead yet. And to be honest, I wouldn’t have minded just closing my eyes right then and letting go. Wouldn’t that be perfect? Just dying right there with your two best friends helping you remember everything you loved about being alive?

And that’s how, five days before having my head sawed off my body and carefully placed in a cryogenic freezer in the basement of the Saranson Center for Life Preservation, I got to have the best day of my life. Isn’t that something? Isn’t that the greatest thing you’ve ever heard? I bet most people don’t even get one person who cares about them that much. And me, I got four of them. Yeah, maybe I got a bad deal the first time around. Sure, it wasn’t fair to be dead at sixteen. But you know what? At least I got to live every single second before they finally turned out the lights.

This delightful book is narrated by Travis Coates, the sixteen year old who has his head surgically removed and frozen before his body dies of leukemia. When his head is reanimated and joined to a new and improved body five years later, Travis finds his best friend and girlfriend (the They in the excerpt above) have moved on because they had no choice. Funny and poignant in a way that reminds me of John Green at his best with a large dose of wacky thrown in for good measure.

A motherless blind girl from France

A bright orphan boy from Germany

A cursed diamond, WWII and a beautifully written story

“Tackling questions of survival, endurance and moral obligations during wartime, the book is as precise and artful and ingenious as the puzzle boxes the heroine’s locksmith father builds for her. Impressively, it is also a vastly entertaining feat of storytelling.” –New York Times Book Review

Based on events in the life of groundbreaking and controversial anthropologist Margaret Mead, this literary novel centers on a love triangle between Nell and Fen Stone and English anthropologist Andrew Bankston. Nell and Fen are returning from their study of a blood thirsty native tribe in New Guinea when they meet Bankston, who has been alone in the field for several years and has grown increasingly frustrated with his own work. When, desperate to keep them nearby, he convinces them to study a tribe that is artistic and female dominated, “he ignites an intellectual and emotional firestorm between the three of them that burns out of anyone’s control”.

Disclaimer: This book contains mature content.

Words like ‘”pretty” and “ugly” exist in a different vocabulary from the one you might invent to describe a face that had to be put back together by a team of surgeons. My face is strange and terrible.

Something happened to Sean Phillips when he was 17. Years after accident, he supports himself by running Trace Italian, a text-based mail-in role playing game. The idea for the game came to him almost as a hallucination while he was in and out of consciousness after his accident. Chapters skip back and forth in time, lending a dreamlike feeling to the book. What happened to Sean? Who are Lance and Carrie, and why are Carrie’s parents suing Sean? A gripping and dark read.

I spent most of my teenage years in hospitals and physical therapy rehabs. It gets so lonely living inside your own head. Because of my face I could not even wear headphones for listening to music. So I invented a world in the future and I called it the Trace Italian. It was a place where I could have adventures, and when I grew up, I wanted to share those adventures with other people.

Best YA book of 2014! If you are a fan of John Green, Rainbow Rowell and David Leviathan, I’ll Give You the Sun is a MUST READ.

"Sun is so much more than just another teenage love story with Real Life Themes; it’s a meditation on life, art, family, fate, and how even the most broken people can help fix one another. Like an artist with a paintbrush, Jandy Nelson weaves it all together to create a reading experience that can only be described as synesthetic. You can taste Noah’s passion, hear the echo of Jude’s grief, and feel the words leap off the page and whip across your face like grains of sand in the wind. This book will tear through you like a hurricane, leaving you in ruined awe. If you want to remember what it’s like to truly surrender to a book and let it pull you under like a riptide, pick up I’ll Give You the Sun and bask in it." —The Huffington Post

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

The latest in the series by Stephanie Perkins which includes Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door is another romantic romp featuring students in an American school in Paris. Lola and Josh are an adorable couple, but Lola’s best friend, Kurt, stole the book! Who are your favorite characters in this series?

Jace is a teen who discovers a dead body and witnesses a killing. Now the killers are after him. Ethan and his wife Allison run a wilderness survival program for teens in the remote mountains of Montana. What better place to hide a witness? Until the Blackwell brothers, some of the scariest villains in print show up to kill Jace and anybody who gets in their way. This fast paced thriller kept me turning the pages!

I was sent here because of a boy. His name was Reeve Maxfield, and I loved him and then he died, and almost a year passed and no one knew what to do with me. ~Jam Gallahue

Jam, short for Jamaica, has loved and lost and can’t seem to get it back together. Her parents send her to the Wooden Barn, a boarding school for “emotionally fragile, highly intelligent” teenagers. As she and her four classmates in Special Topics for English, all grieving from a loss, study Sylvia Plath for the entire semester, they discover writing in their journals takes them to a place where the past is restored. They call this place Belzhar, and they can’t get enough of it. Will they be able to give up reliving the past to move on with their lives?

Media Center Staff Reviews
Student Book Reviews

What are all those people doing in the NaFo Media Center in the morning????