Copyright (c) 2014 by Ms. A. McKay Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Ms. A. McKay -- Blogmeister

Image by FlamingText.com
Image by FlamingText.com

by Ms. A. McKay

BrainPOP
How Stuff Works
National Geographic Kids
Science News For Kids
The Why? Files
The Yuckiest Site On The Internet
FunBrain
Class Brain Games
MacNeill School Home Page
Career Cruising
Wordle
Sharp Brains
Aboriginal People of Canada for Kids

Today, you are being asked to write a book review for the novel we read together in class: "Because of Winn Dixie" by Kate DiCamillo. I would like you to include the following:

Title:

Author:

List of characters and brief description of each:

Plot/Summary:

Did you enjoy this book? Why or why not?

There are many examples of book reviews using this format here:

[LINK]

Please remember to proofread your work before submitting it to me.

We have been talking about the difference between facts and opinions in class lately. To begin, please follow this link to a site that will help you determine how well you understand this concept. You will be asked to read 30 statements and decide whether they are facts or opinions. You must get more than 80% on the quiz before moving on to the next step. If you score lower than that, please repeat the quiz.

"FACTS AND OPINIONS QUIZ"

Once you have completed the quiz and scored higher than 80%, you can take a few minutes to click on the following links to get a little extra practice at determining whether a statement is a fact or an opinion.

"FACTS AND OPINIONS GAME"

"EXTRA PRACTICE - FACTS AND OPINIONS"

The last thing I would like you to do is complete a blog entry listing 5 facts and 5 opinions about smoking.

Please proofread your work before submitting it. Also, make sure to include headings in your blog. For example:

FACTS ABOUT SMOKING

1)_________

2)_________, etc.

We are currently working on Literature Circles in Language Arts. Please respond to the following questions about your novel using complete sentences:

- How do you feel about the process of working in literature circle groups of 3-5 people?

- What do you specifically like about your novel?

- Would you recommend your novel to a friend? Why or why not?

- How do you feel about the marking procedures for this unit? - - Have you decided what your mark is going to be?

Read the story of Chief Poundmaker

"TREATY 6 EDUCATION CHIEF POUNDMAKER"

"CHIEF POUNDMAKER"

Read the story of Chief Big Bear

"TREATY 6 EDUCATION CHIEF BIG BEAR"

"CHIEF BIG BEAR"

We are currently learning about Treaties in Social Studies class. Please view the following videos (the second one is one we have already watched in class together but you can view it again to help you in answering the questions). Remember to use your earphones! When you have finished watching the videos, please answer the following questions on your blog. Remember to use complete sentences (you can copy and paste the questions so that I can tell which question you are answering).

Videos:

"AS LONG AS THE SUN SHINES"

"WE ARE ALL TREATY PEOPLE"

Questions:

1. Why did the Canadian government want to sign treaties?

2. Why did the Aboriginal people want to sign treaties?

3. What does the pipe ceremony represent? What is expected of those who participate?

4. What was the significance of the buffalo at the time of treaty signings?

5. How do Canadians benefit today from treaties?

6. What does the concept “treaty” mean to First Nations people?

7. Who are the 4 nations that made

agreements in the area that was to become Saskatchewan?

Please read through the following information:

"Spread the Word to End the Word™ is an ongoing effort by Special Olympics, Best Buddies and our supporters to raise the consciousness of society about the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the word “retard(ed)” and encourage people to pledge to stop using the R-word.

The campaign, created by youth, is intended to engage schools organizations and communities to rally and pledge their support at www.r-word.org and to promote the inclusion and acceptance of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities."

WHEN

"The official annual day of awareness is held the first Wednesday of every March. While most activities are centered on or near that annual day in March, people everywhere can help spread the word throughout their communities and schools year-round thru pledge drives, youth rallies and online activation."

WHO

"Spread the Word to End the Word was founded by college students Soeren Palumbo (Notre Dame 2011) and Tim Shriver (Yale 2011) in 2009, and continues to be led by passionate young people, Special Olympics athletes and Best Buddies participants across the United States and in many other parts of the world."

WHY

"Respectful and inclusive language is essential to the movement for the dignity and humanity of people with intellectual disabilities. However, much of society does not recognize the hurtful, dehumanizing and exclusive effects of the word “retard(ed).”

It is time to address the minority slur “retard(ed)” and raise the consciousness of society to its hurtful effects."

VIDEOS:

HOW

Visit www.r-word.org to learn how you can Spread the Word to End the Word.

When you have finished reading the information and watching the video, please go to your blog and tell me a little about what you learned today. Do you think that this has changed how you will speak/act on a daily basis? Do you think that this is an important movement? Why or why not? What do you think you/our class could do to be a part of this movement in our school? Please explain in detail.

WRITING A REVIEW

Today I would like you to write a review of the book we just finished reading in class, “Double Identity.” I have included some helpful tips on how to write a review. Please read the assignment carefully before beginning and use loose-leaf paper to complete your pre-writing and a draft before beginning to type. Once your re-writing and draft are done (including revising and editing), you may begin your final copy on your blog. Please take your time and remember to spell check your work before submitting it.

How to Write a Book Review

What is a Book Review?

A book review is a description and an

evaluation of a book that you have read.

Book reviews are helpful because they inform future readers about books they may be interested in reading. Often, a book review will influence other readers by telling them a little bit about what the story is about, as well as if is is worth reading or not!

The most important thing to remember is that book reviews DO NOT give away the ending or anything else that may spoil the book for someone else!

4 steps to follow when writing a book review:

(Note: You do not have to answer every question; these are only suggestions to guide your writing.)

1. Write at least 3-4 sentences about the plot

What was the story about?

Who were the main characters?

What did the main characters do in the story?

Did the main characters run into any problems?

Who was your favorite character? Why?

2. Your personal experiences

Could you relate to any of the characters in

the story?

Have you ever done some of the things or felt

some of the same things that the characters

did?

3. Your opinion

Did you like the book?

What was your favorite part of the book?

Do you have a least favorite part of the book?

If you could change something in the book,

what would it be?

4. Your recommendation

Would you recommend this book to another

person?

What type of person would like this book?

Click on the following link and watch the MAIN IDEA movie. Please wear your earphones so that you don't disrupt other students around you.

"BRAIN POP - MAIN IDEA"

When you have finished watching the movie, complete the following activities in the order of your choice:

FYI - READ MORE

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

QUIZ (you can choose Graded Quiz or Review Quiz)

Please show Mrs. McKay your quiz results when you are finished before shutting down your computer.

Our $100 challenge winner H.M. with a representative of the Canadian Cancer Society (the recipient of the $100).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Reader's Theatre!! on PhotoPeach

Grade 5 MacNeill