Copyright (c) 2014 by craig cox Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
craig cox -- Blogmeister

Read! Think! Act!

P.I.G. and AP Gov't

by craig cox

Cambridge Online Dictionary

Article posted October 6, 2013 at 04:28 PM GMT-5 • comment (74) • Reads 673

One of the policy debates we have regularly in this country is over the minimum wage, currently set at $7.25, but higher in many states. First some basic economics:

Most wages and salaries are set mainly by the market. It is a balance point between what buyers (employers) are willing to pay, and what sellers (workers) are willing to sell their time and skills for. One exception to this is the minimum wage, which is what economists call a “price floor.” Think of it as a barrier that keeps wages from falling too low, like the floor keeps you from tumbling into the basement.

The historical argument in favor of minimum wage is that employers would prefer to pay less for low-skill work, too low for people to live on. So the law requires employers to pay a “minimum wage” set by state and federal government. The historical argument against minimum wage is that it interferes with the free market (by setting a price floor), and these artificially-high wages will drive up the cost of goods and services (that’s inflation).

Here are two articles, one answering “yes” to our question, and the other “no.” Read both and then do the following: 

For each article, identify the strongest argument you think the author makes for their position.

Answer the question “Should we raise the minimum wage?” and explain why or why not.

You aren’t limited to these arguments! If you have other reasoning, please share with us.

Yes: Restaurant workers deserve minimum wage just like everybody else.

No:  Good intentions don’t repeal laws of economics

Approx. 150 words, due Friday by 330 pm. 

Article posted September 29, 2013 at 09:11 PM GMT-5 • comment (91) • Reads 174

In 2010 the Supreme Court decided, in the case Citizens United v. F.E.C.  (click link for explanation of Citizens United case) that corporations and labor unions could spend as much money as they want on creating political advertising in support of candidates (or more often negative ads against candidates). Now the court will hear a case that argues for the end of limits on how much money individuals can give directly to candidates. Read the editorial from the Buffalo News, as well as the brief explanation of Citizens United, and offer your own opinions on this important issue:

1. Should there be limits on how much money an individual can donate to a candidate's campaign? Explain your answer.

2. Should corporations be limited or prohibited from donating money to influence elections? Explain your answer.

about 150 words, due Friday by 330.

Article posted September 20, 2013 at 07:32 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 437

Go to http://classblogmeister.com/index.php" target="_blank">p://classblogmeister.com/index.php and type my name, craig cox, into the box on the right side under "READ BLOGMEISTERS" and click GO.

You'll come to our blog page where the most recent assignment will be on top. Click the name of the blog (in red at the top). I'll post directions, questions, and the link to the article/web page/video. Read the article and post your response.

Post by clicking on "add a comment" found beneath the instructions. Fill in the "Your Name" box with your first name and last initial. Leave "email" and "URL of your Blog" empty. Paste your response into the comment box, then prove you are a human by typing the numbers and letters they give you. (These are case-sensitive.)

Click submit and your comment will post to the blog. You might have to refresh the blog page to see it. Read other students' posts and comment on them if you want, using the same method.

Blogging rules:

by posting a comment to this blog, you acknowledge reading these rules and agree to abide by them. Rule violations may result in a zero grade for the blog assignment and/or loss of school computer privileges.

1. All comments will be respectful of others and their opinions. Feel free to disagree, but do so respectfully. No flaming!

2.No profanity or other inappropriate language.

3. All comments must include your first name and last initial. Any comment without a name will be deleted.

4. Posting comments using someone else's name is strictly forbidden. This will result in loss of assignment grade and possibly school computer privileges.

Now post "agree" to the blog using the comment button.

Article posted September 19, 2013 at 09:56 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 111

September 17 was Constitution Day. We're a little late, so here's a short quiz. Work with a partner to find the answers and be the first (or second, third, fourth...) to post it.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/lessons_plans/constitution-day-quiz/