Copyright (c) 2014 by Suzanne Kick Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister

Mrs. Kick's class is TOADally Hoppin'!

We are 5th graders at Palmer Elementary. We love blogging and using technology to improve our literacy skills!

by Suzanne Kick

Practice your Math Facts!!
HEY Parents!! This site is for you.
PBS Kids (Lots of Games!!)
Want to be a better Speller?? Play this game!
Learn the 5o States!!
Lewis and Clark
MORE Lewis and Clark
Try Storymaker! Be a creative writer!
Learn the 50 States AND the Capitals
More State Capital PRACTICE!
Everyday Math Online
MAIN IDEA Game
Read a Ruler Game
Various Fraction Games
KHAN Academy
Civil War 150
Play FLIGHT to Freedom on Mission US
Weird U.S.

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 12:39 AM GMT • comment • Reads 1400

If you are ever stuck on your math homework or studying for a test... CHECK out KHAN Academy. I have added the link to our links list! Just type your topic in the search bar and a super cool teacher will show you how to figure out whatever you are having trouble with. THIS site is AWESOME!!!! I even use it to brush up on my skills before I teach my favorite fifth graders. CHECK IT OUT!!! 

You'll make a Wordle based on the person you are studying in the Library.   

Go to www.wordle.net

and make your own!!  They're super fun and make great gifts for people you love!

It sure has been a while since we blogged. Maybe because we've had so much going on in our classroom. We are working on a couple writing projects. We're writing an essay about our New Year's Resolutions a.k.a. "Penguin Promises" and we're creating a "concrete poem" about creepy crawly insects. Cool!

In Math, we are busy learning ALL about fractions and their many uses, rules and strategies. It's a lot of work but will be a foundational skill we will need throughout our lives. 

We're reading lots of non-fiction about scientific investigations. Expository reading can be much more challenging than fiction so we're practicing many good reading skills like "Think Alongs," inferring, identifying main idea and author's purpose and summarizing. Good stuff!!

In science, we're getting up-close to various biomes with Ms. Cournoyer. 

I have added a few links for fraction games.  It's always great to sharpen your math skills!! 

Blog to ya later!   

Mrs. Kick

Article posted November 14, 2011 at 03:49 AM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 59

All you turkeys have an assignment.... Write about your Thanksgiving Holiday traditions. Click on the Assignment tab to the left to get all the details and write your very first article this week - Just in time for Turkey Day. 

Gobble Gobble!!  

Are you making time to study???  You have a Science Test on Thursday, November 17 on "Ponds & Wetlands."

Also, Wednesday, November 16th is "Read a Shirt" Day. What will your shirt say?

Don't forget to play the "Main Idea: What's the Big Idea??" game in the links list. Then, add a comment to this post telling me the answer to the riddle in the game.  Hmmmm.... Will you be able to figure it out?? I sure hope so!

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 02:03 AM GMT • comment (11) • Reads 81

WELCOME to our new classmate, BC!! You are now an official member of our "family" in Room 116. YOU are TOADally AWESOME!  

We are practicing how to identify the Main Idea of a passage!  Play the "Main Idea: What's the Big Idea??" game in the links list. Then, add a comment to this post telling me the answer to the riddle in the game.  Hmmmm.... Will you be able to figure it out?? I sure hope so!

AND... make sure you are working on your multiplication skills! You will be tested Thursday, November 10th.

Beginning of Year Festivities on PhotoPeach

Have you heard about the "Ultimate Challenge???" You can learn all 50 states AND their capitals! There are links attached to our blog that can help you study those! 

PARENTS... look for a note about our Halloween celebration! We'd love to have you join us for this spooky event!  --- Unless you're too scared!!! Hee hee!

KIDS... write some comments about what you want to be for Halloween. We can't wait to read your spooky ideas!  

Fifth grade will be filled will surprises, fun, challenges and new responsibilities! I am excited to share all of our adventures with you and your families on our Blog!  Be sure to check often to stay in "the loop."

REMINDER... Geography Test - Friday, October 14th.  Study your notes and vocabulary.  Use your study guide to help you prepare!

Article posted April 1, 2010 at 09:08 PM GMT • comment (9) • Reads 97

How does a Writer "Stretch the Moment?"

We've been working on improving our writing skills by including the following techniques into our writing.  CHALLENGE.... Blog about a "small moment" that's close to your heart right now. Make sure it's a seed idea - NO WATERMELONS aloud!  Show off your skills! 

I = Inner thinking

A = Action

D = Dialogue

D = Description

Article posted January 5, 2010 at 09:25 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 35

Our Holiday Celebration AND The Enjoying the First Flakes! on PhotoPeach

Class of 2009
Class of 2010
Class of 2012