Sabrina's Bolg-

by teacher: Professor McGonagall
SCHOOLS OUT!!!! 06/20/08
Environmental Systems 06/06/08
All City Track Meet 05/30/08
Memorial Day Weekend 05/27/08
Referance list 05/22/08
No Taxation without Representation 05/23/08
Witch of Blackbird Pond 2 05/12/08
Witch of Blackbird Pond 05/06/08
Around the World 04/22/08
Spring Break 04/15/08

Article posted June 21, 2008 at 04:11 AM GMT • comment (12) • Reads 240

OMG!!!

SCHOOL IS OUT!!!

IM GOING TO MISS PROF. MCG. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! SHE HAS BEEN A GREAT TEACHER. I WANT TO GO ON TO MIDDLE SCHOOL AND HAVE A NEW SCHOOL AND NEW MASCOT AND BE A NEW PERSON IN GENERAL BUT INSIDE I STILL WANT TO BE A DRAGON. THIS HAS BEEN A FANTASTIC YEAR AND IL NEVER FORGET THE MOMENT WHEN PROF. MCG. SHOWED ME THE GETTOBLASTER!!(She said that a gettoblaster is a cd player)

IL NEVER FORGET THE GREAT MOMENTS THAT I HAD IN OUR CLASS. I COULDN'T HAVE WANTED MORE FOR FIFTH GRADE.

IL NEVER FORGET MY SCHOOL, MY FRIENDS AND I WOULDN'T EVER BE ABLE TO EVER FORGET MY TEACHER, NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRIED. THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING MY LAST YEAR AS A DRAGON REALLY COUNT.:)

Truley yours,

Sabrina

Here is what I know about systems.

A system is a group of small things that work together to get something big done.

An example of a system is the water on earth. It starts, things happen it make it start it again.

I know that if one species went extinct, then it could change anther speicies way of life. For example if a speacies of deer became extinct, then the animals living on that deer would become hungry. They would have to move to where there is more food or even hunt other animals. Other animals would have to adapt to each others habits so then the system starts over again.

Article posted May 30, 2008 at 09:44 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 88

My class got to go to an all city track meet!!!!

I did the 75 meter dash and I made the FINALS!!!

I ended up getting 4th out of 8!

Since i'm in fifth grade and you can't do many sports through school, this was my first ever track meet. It was one of the things that I will remember from fifth grade.

Waiting for my event was like torture but I guess Professor McG. would love that. (She's the master of torture:) I watched to of my guy friends get first places for the 50 meter in two different heats. Then I watched my friend Goldilocks do amazing in the shot put. Then another friend Violet went to do the 200 meter and got 2nd place. I waited until finally, it was time for my event, the 75 meter. I was running it with my friend Taryn adn my friend from another class, Mariah. I was in the very last heat and I got 2nd place with a time of 12.35. Just hearing my friends yell my name, telling me that I could win gave me confidence. I was in the first lane but it didn't matter cause it was in a strait line. Then I saw the starter of the race put his finger on the trigger and BOOM! I started running and adrenaline pumped through my body. All I concentrated on the finnish line. Everything else seemed of unimportance. Before I knew it, I ran through the finnish line and got 2nd.

I waited after the 400 meter and the 800 meter until finally, the speaker's voice boomed through the stadiom. It said "Here are the finalists for the 75 meter dash..." I couldn't belive it when they called my name. I couldn't even hear anything else but the chearing and yelling. I went down to the track and waited. Professor McG. would be proud fo me for being so tortured at the starting line cause I had to wait five minuets until I got to race. I couldn't hear anything but the boom from the starting line and finally I raced across the finnish line. I got 4th with a time of 12.12. I felt great when people kept coming up to congratulate me. Finally it was time for one of my favorite races even thought I wasn't racing. The Relay Race. The girls realy did amazing and got 3rd place. Then something else amazed me. I was the boys relay team come out and they got...1st!!!! I couldn't belive it! We were all disapointed when we had to leave, but hey we can do it again through school in 6th grade...

Article posted May 27, 2008 at 07:11 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 43

Whats up?

For the long weekend, I had a BBQ and helped my mom plant some flowers in my garden. I also went to the Ski to Sea parade. It was so much fun!Then since I live right on the lake, I got to go tubing and water skiing on the freezing cold lake. I guess if you're in the water and it's raining it doesn't really matter. It was raining when I went. I got to play my WII and play Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It was a really fun weekend.

Here is the referance list that I used in my essay.

Reference List

Carter, Alden. The American Revolution. New York: Franklin Watts, 1992

Harcourt Brace. We the People; Early United States. Orlando: Harcourt Brace and Company, 2000

January, Brendan. The Revolutionary War. New York. Children’s Press, 2000

Maestro, Betsy. Liberty or Death; The American Revolution 1763-1783 New York, HarperCollins Publishers, 2005

Schanzer, Rosalyn. George vs. George; The American Revolution as seen from Both Sides. Washington D.C.; National Geographic, 2004

Speare, Elizabeth George. The Witch of Blackbird Pond. New York: Bantom DoubleDay Dell Publishing Group, Ink, 1958

Article posted May 23, 2008 at 06:00 AM GMT • comment • Reads 92

Here is essay that I wrote.

No Taxation Without Representation!

Colonists live under the rule of the King

By Sabrina

In the year 1667, King Charles granted a charter to the Connecticut colony allowing the colonists the right to make their own laws. (Speare 70). Assemblies elected by the colonists made laws, set taxes and raised companies of troops called militia to defend the colonies. (Charter, 8). In 1687, King James wanted the British Parliament to be able to make laws for the colonists, or in other words take away the charter. (Speare, 70).

In 1764, British Parliament could make laws for the colonists. The King needed money to pay for the militia that protected the colonies in the French and Indian war. He decided to make the colonies pay for some of the money needed. (Harcourt, 226).

The King started taxes with the Sugar Act in 1764. (Harcourt, 272). “This tariff angered the colonists but what bothered them most is that they had no part in making this new law”. The King and British Parliament all had a say in passing laws. “Unlike other British citizens, the colonists could not elect lawmakers… but parliament was quick to remind colonists they were still British subjects.” (Harcourt, 263).

The Stamp Act was another blow to the colonists’ democratic ideas. The colonists had been practicing self-government, separate from the king, for years. They collected their own taxes to pay for taxes to pay for services in the colonies. The Congress sent an appeal for peace and harmony to King George and suggested that parliament get rid of all the unconstitutional laws controlling America. (Schanzer, 27) The Stamp Act of 1765 was another attempt by the parliament to get the colonists for help pay the war dept. “The new tax law angered the people in the colonies”. (January, 6). The Stamp Act was made as a tax on everything that was paper that you could purchase. Things like newspapers had to have a special stamp on it so people know that a tax had been paid for it. Parliament added these new laws to show they could still make laws for the colonists. (Harcourt, 277). The Stamp Act congress met to discuss the new law. It was there Patriot James Otis recited the famous line “No Taxation Without Representation”. These British laws were directly against the democratic ideas the colonists had been practicing for 100 years.

The colonists did not get to elect representatives into British Parliament. They did not have any say in the laws they were being forced to live by. Parliament decided to make one last tax; the tax on tea in 1773. “Parliament canceled all the taxes except the tax on tea”. (Maestro, 7). The colonists were fed up with all the taxes and not being represented a British citizens. On one late night in December, Patriots called The Sons of Liberty dressed as Mohawk Indians and raided a ship that held British tea. They split all the tea boxes and threw them into the harbor. The event came to be known as the Boston Tea Party. The so-called Boston Tea Party infuriated King George and Parliament. He blockaded Boston Harbor not allowing any ships with merchandise to come in or out as a punishment. The colonists wanted to be free of King George’s rule.

The colonists were British citizens living in America. Their rights were being trampled by all the taxes and laws they had no say in. They protested and soon the cry of “No Taxation Without Representation” could be heard all around the colonies.

In 1776, in the Revolutionary War, the Continental Army or the colonists made history in the war against Britain. They were truly free.

When Kit meets Hannah Tupper she thinks that she has a friend. Then one day while in the meadow, she finds young Prudence. Kit finally gets Prudence to comes to Hannah's house.

Meanwhile, Kkit is a romantic love story. Kit kinda likes John Holbrook, the preacher. She kinda likes Nat the sailor and kinka likes William the rich boy. William likes Kit and wants to marry her. Kit doesnt know if she wants to marry William or not.

Judith likes William and John, and Mercy likes John and John likes Mercy. That's most of the romance in the part of the book.

Article posted May 6, 2008 at 07:21 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 72

Me and my class are reading a book called Witch of Blackbird Pond. It's about a girl from Barbados who moves to Connecticut when her Grandfather dies. There she stayes with her only remaining family, Uncle Matthew, Aunt Rachel, Judith and Mercy. She doesn't like her honme in Connecticut. One Saturday at Meeting, she meets William Ashby. In the book it says, "Kit was startled to meet the unmistakably dazzling gaze of William Ashby. William was speachless."

Back on Barbadoes, Kit was used to living with slaves as a loyalist. Uncle Mathew adn his family are patriots who wish to be free of King James. Kit doesn't feel right untis she meets Hannah Tupper, the Which of blackbird Pond.

Article posted April 22, 2008 at 09:43 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 96

We are taking a trip around the world. We want to see how for around the world we can get just fron links.Professor McGonagall said to start on another classe's website and just make our way around classrooms around the world.

Stop one was Mrs Connon's Blog in New York.

Our next stop was
Ms. Cassidy's Blog I don't know where they are.

From there I went to
Two Gems in Australia!

You should try to blog around the world. It's amazing the places you can go to just with one link.

Have fun!

Article posted April 15, 2008 at 07:31 PM GMT • comment (9) • Reads 97

For spring break me and my family went for a trip to my grandparents house in Washington. There they own a store and when we come up, them put us to work. We helped them carry firewood to their house.

When we got home, we just hung out and played video games. During spring spring break, we got a WII