justjoking's blog-

by teacher: Professor McGonagall

Dear World

On Saturday of my long weekend i went to the parade I really liked the parade. Then I went to the carnavil it so fun i went on this ride called the moon raker and it was so cool. On Sunday I just stayed home and played with my friends we went to the park and then we went to his house and played video games. On Monday I had a party at my house and some of my friends and my moms friends came over me and my friends played outside

Article posted May 22, 2008 at 09:31 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 2980

No Taxation without Representation

By: JustJoking

May 20 2008

In 1662 King Charles granted a charter to Connecticut Colony giving the colonists the rights to make their own laws (Speare, 70). Assemblies elected by the colonists made laws, set taxes, and raised companies of troops, called militia to defend the colonists (Carter, 8). In 1687, King James, wanted British Parliament to make laws for the colonists (Speare, 75).

In 1765, British Parliament could make laws for the colonists. The King needed to pay for the French and Indian War so he made laws to tax the colonists (Harcourt, 266).

The King started the Sugar Act in 1764 (Harcourt, 272). “This tariff angered colonists. But what bothered them most was that they had had no part in making this tax law” (Harcourt, 272). The King and Parliament all hade a say in passing laws. “Unlike other British citizens, the colonists could not elect lawmakers… but Parliament was quick to remind colonists they were British subjects” (Harcourt, 265)

The Stamp Act was another blow to the colonists’ democratic ideals. The colonists had been practicing self-government for years (Harcourt, 263). The Stamp Act of 1765 was another attempt by Parliament to get the colonists to help pay the war dept. “The Stamp Act required colonists to pay for a stamp (to show they paid the tax) or all paper goods like newspapers.

Parliament added these new laws to show they could still make laws for the colonists (Harcourt, 277). The Stamp Act Congress met to get the act repealed. Patriot James Odis said the famous quote, “No Taxation Without Representation!” (Harcourt, 274). These British laws were directly against the democratic ideals of self-government the colonists had been practicing for 100 yrs.

The colonists did not get to elect representation into British Parliament. They did not have any say in the tax laws they were being forced to pay. The King made a third law that angered the colonists, the tax on tea, 1773(Maestro, 7). The colonists believed in democracy (Harcourt, 263). The colonists were not represented in British Parliament and believed the only way to ensure their rights was to fight for them.

The colonists were British citizens living in America. When The Sugar Act, The Stamp Act, and The Tax on Tea were trampling their rights, they first appeared to the King and Parliament. When that didn’t work they protested. Eventually, the rally cry of “No Taxation without Representation” would lead the colonists to fight for their freedom. The colonists wanted a true representation government.

“The Congress sent an appeal for peace and harmony to King George and suggested that Parliament get rid of all the unconstitutional laws controlling America (Schanzer, 27). In 1776, in the Revolutionary War, British colonists fight Britain for the right to become American citizens and be truly free.

References

By: JustJoking

May 20, 2008

Carter, Alden. The American Revolution. New York: Franklin Watts, 1992.

Harcourt, Brace. We The; Early United States. Orlando: Harcourt Brace and Company, 2000.

January, Brendan. The Revolutionary War. New York: Children’s Press, 2000.

Maestro, Betsy. Liberty or Death; The American Revolution 1763-1783. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, 2005.

Schanzer, Rosalyn. George vs. George: The American Revolution as seen from Both Sides. Washington D.C.: National Geographic, 2004.

Speare, Elizabeth George. The Witch of Blackbird Pond. New York: bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group, Inc. 1958.

Article posted April 22, 2008 at 10:00 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 62

Dear World

Here are some hyper links to some other class.

Minnesota

Justjokings Blog

Those are the links I have.

From,

Justjoking

Article posted April 15, 2008 at 10:02 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 67

Dear World

Right know i am on the computer typing this and i am by my friend countolaf and i am at my school in the U.S.A. I see my friend smeagol he is reading next to me i see my school i see my whole class some reading and some on the computer. I hear people talking people whispering things falling on the floor. I smell the air and that is about it. I can taste nothing. I can feel the wind blowing on me and that is about it. That is my This is the moment poem.

By,

Justjoking

Dear World

On Monday of Spring Break i stayed home and cleaned my house. When i was done cleaning my house i went outside and played with my friends. Me and my friend went to the market and we got some food. Then we went to this park and played baseball. On tuesday i stayed home again and just hung out at my house and played video games and watched T.V. that is what i did on Tuesday. On Wensday i went to extra innings then i went to get a video game it was NHL 2K6. Then i went to get lunch i went to subway. On Thursday i went to my friends house and spent the night there. We played video games and had pizza and we palayed basketball outside it was fun. On Friday i went to extra innings again and batted then i went to my house and played video games and one of my friends came over that lives by me then i went to another friends house and we played outside and his brother and his brothers friend shot me and my friend with beebes from a beebe gun it did not hurt because they did not hit us. That is what i did over spring Break.

By,

Justjoking

Article posted April 3, 2008 at 08:30 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 61

Dear World

Trees

Tall Wood

Growing Falling Dieing

Standing tall against wind

Ceader

Article posted March 20, 2008 at 09:59 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 61

HI World

My class went to this place called mountain school. Mountain School is so fun my class and another class went with us. At mountain we learned about animals like Birds,Deers and i forget the rest. Do you want to know something cool we got to see the white Deer it was so cool. There is a white moose we did not get to see the white moose but i really wanted to so i might go again and you can go on the trails any time you want to. The food there was so good. Mountain School was so fun i did not want to leave. Well maybe some other time i can go. That is what my class and the other class did at mountain school.

By,

Justjoking

Article posted February 26, 2008 at 05:43 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 62

Here is a divison problem i did.

38,028/4= first i did the basic facts they were 36/4=9 36/4=9 20/4=5 28/4=7

20/4=5 360/4=90 200/4=50

28/4=7 3600/4=900 2000/4=500

36000/4=9000

9000+500+7=9507 that is the answer

No David

Dear World,

My class is doing a project about the iditarod find out about our the iditarod by clicking on the http://iditarod-collaborative-project.wikispaces.com/">Main page of our wiki. blog blog blog blog blog This is my group main page blog blog this is my musher