Copyright (c) 2014 by Marilyn O Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Marilyn O -- Blogmeister

5th period Academic Biology

Thoughts and activities here in my Academic Biology, Science for Living and Science 9 classes in a small rural High School in the Weather Capital of the World (Punxsutawney, PA).

by Marilyn O

teacher: Louise Maine

I have learned some new information from actually watching commercials. When I was watching the commercials I learned that even though they aren't personally there they are getting you to buy their items or products. They do this by hooking you into the commercial with a snazy line. They also use music that is related to their subject and the appropriate age of child or adult. They do this so the viewer aka you will feel like they are talking to you or related to you in some way. Some commercials can be good but a lot of them just want to sell there stuff so they make money. These are the new things I learned about commercials.

I believe when placed with a choice I would chose plastic. It is the better choice in my opinion. The first reason is because plastic doesn't take water. When you make paper you use thousands of gallons of water. When you make plastic it takes more energy. Plastic a byproduct of oil refining and it takes 4% of the total world oil production. The paper can be recycled but it takes energy to recycle. The paper can also go to the landfill. The plastic goes to the landfills since it doesn't get recycled. According to the EPA Americans recycle 0.6% of the plastic bags and 19.4% paper begs. So the topics and reasons why are close but in the end plastic wins. This is why I believe if you don't use your own bags then the better choice is plastic.

www.greenfeet.net/newsletter/debate.shtml

www.angelfire.com/wi/papervsplastic/

www.iliea.org/lcas/franklin1990.html

www.treehugger.com/files/2005/01/qa_retail_carry.php

Marilyn