Copyright (c) 2014 by Megan M Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Megan M -- Blogmeister

5th period Academic Biology

Thoughts and activities here in my Academic Biology, Science for Living and Science 9 classes in a small rural High School in the Weather Capital of the World (Punxsutawney, PA).

by Megan M

teacher: Louise Maine

I watched commercials from the cartoons Fairy Odd Parents and Sponge Bob Square pants. I watched from 9 in the morning until ten in the morning. I found out that advertisers put a lot of commercials on when little kids watch television to try and persuade them. I noticed that there were a lot more commercials on in the morning compared to commercials on during the afternoon.

I learned from this experiment that a lot of persuasive commercials come on during the morning to try and influence kids. There are a lot of cereals saying that it is the best or toys saying that they are better than any other product out there. In the commercials I noticed a lot of rockn roll music or music that is fast paced. The commercials all influence mostly the same age areas. The commercials are also very short. These commercials are designed to get your attention and to try and get kids to nag there parents to buy the product because the kids believe it is the best toy or cereal there is.

I chose to research hybrid cars vs. regular cars. A hybrid car is powered by gas and is assisted with an electric motor. The electric motor allows you to use less gas. This helps you save money on gas and put out less pollution, so it is not as harmful to the environment. In city driving with a hybrid car you can get 10% to 15% improvement in gasoline consumption. If everyone drove hybrid cars U.S. gas consumption would drop 10%. Unfortunately the hybrid can cost a few more thousand dollars than a regular car. The Environmental Protection Agency says that driving a car is the most polluting thing that most of us do. In the urban areas motor vehicles are the largest contributor to ground-level ozone, which is a major contributor to smog (a type of air pollution). Cars produce several pollutants known as toxics. These toxics cause as many as 1,500 cases of cancer each year. Auto emissions take part in environmental problems such as acid rain and global warming. So I think that the hybrid car is better than the regular car because not only are you saving money on the rising prices of gas, you are also helping out the environment by not producing so many pollutants.

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]