Copyright (c) 2014 by AB Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
AB -- Blogmeister

Red Group

by AB

teacher: Elise Mueller

Science Fair 03/12/10
Reading Goals 01/11/10
Chess club 01/16/08
My Habits and Goals 01/08/08
My Thing 09/28/07

Title: COMMUNICATING SCIENTIFICALLY (01/21/09)
Description: • How did the water and the salt change when they were combined in the cup?
• What did you observe when the salt and water were combined? How did measurement help you describe the changes?
• What have you learned about the properties of salt when you add it to water?
• How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help understand the properties of salt and/or water?

• What did you observe when the salt and water were combined?

When the water and the salt were put together and then mixed, the salt dissolved in the water.

• How did the water and the salt change when they were combined in the cup?

When my group weighed the water by itself it weighed 49 grams. When we mixed the salt in the mixture weighed 50 grams. Which means the salt we put in weighs 1 gram.

• How did measurement help you describe the changes?

It helped us by telling us the salt weighed 1 gram.

That the salt dissolves in water and the water stays clear because the dissolved.

• How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water?

Because now I know that salt dissolves in water and the water stays clear because the salt goes into microscopic pieces.

What did you observe when the salt and water combined?

At first the salt just sank but after about a half of a minute of stirring

It dissolved.

How did the water and salt change when they were combined in the cup?

They were only combined in a cup.

How did measurement help you describe the changes?

5 cc of salt equals 1 graham of salt and it adds to the weight of the water even when dissolved and the salts weight dose not change when dissolved.

What have you learned about the properties of salt when you add it to water?

I reviewed that salt dissolves in water and the water stays clear.

How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you understand the properties of salt and/or water?

It actually doesn’t for me.

· What did you observe when the salt and water were combined?

When the salt and water combined I saw that the salt dissolved and was no longer visible.

· How did the water and the salt change when they were combined in the cup?

It didn’t really make a difference because the salt just dissolved but it did make it a bit heavier.

· How did measurement help you describe the changes?

It showed how much weight the salt added.

· What have you learned about the properties of salt when you add it to water?

I learned that if salt is stirred in water it dissolves.

· How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water?

Well it taught me that salt has the property of dissolving.

What did you observe when the salt and water were combined? It was white.

How did the water and the salt change when they were combined in the cup? It was just water

How did measurement help you describe the changes? 5cc have of salt.

What have you learned about the properties of salt when you add it to water? It was small and white win it was added to the water it will dissolve it.

How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water? It is see through it might dissolve it.

What did you observe when the salt and water were combined?

Well what I observed was when my group at my table did was stir the water really good and it was kind of looked like plain water with nothing in it.

How did the water and the salt change when they were combined in the cup?

Well the water and salt just looked like nice and clean water.

I do not know how measurement helped me.

I do not know what properties I learned because I never see any properties

How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water?

It stayed clear!

It became clear and a solution!

How did measurement help you describe the change?

Salt 5cc’s Water

The salt goes in between the water molecules

Don’t know how it helped me

• What did you observe when the salt and water were combined? The salt and water make crystal salt and the salt and the water can make crystal salt and it can stay there for a wail.

I was not here for the experiment mentioned, but I can infer that they put salt in water and stirred. I know from experience that table salt dissolves in water after sinking, which means the salt is denser than the water.

Q. How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help understand the properties of salt and/or water?

A. The properties that are shown and proved in this experiment are that of salt dissolving in water, and salt being denser than water. It is a solution because it is clear. It only becomes a solution after all visible particles have dissolved.

The water might taste like salt if there is to much it will taste like salt but if there to little it might not taste like salt or something like that and the salt will disappear or if there is to much it will not disappear ha ha ha I am smart =].

· 1. What I observed was that the water and the salt were both a mixture and a solution because we combined the water and the salt and that was a mixture, but we knew it was a solution by how it dissolved. The other thing we found out was that the more salt you put in the harder it is to dissolve.

2.How did measurement help you describe the changes?

You could do it without the measuring tools if you guessed the right amount then you wouldn’t have to use the measuring tools.

3.What have you learned about the properties of salt when you add it to water?

What I have learned was that when you add salt in water that is a mixture because you combined them together to make a mixture.

4.How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water?

How it helps me understand the properties is by knowing the definition of a mixture and a solution.

It was almost clear when I looked in it and then I looked with my fingers at the bottom and I could see them fine.

the salt dissolved and the water looked as clear as could be and that the water looked the same as normal.

I learned that salt dissolves in the water after you stir it or you wait for a while then it will dissolve.

The salt dissolved when it was steered!

The salt changed by dissolving ,and the water changed by turning in to salt water.

Answer for #1: I observed when the water and salt combine forms a mixture because in the Mixtures and Solutions book we read in science class were it told you how Mixtures are made like say if flour and water were mixed in together it would be a Mixture would be made.

Answer for #2: When the salt was pored in the water and when we mixed it together the water turned clear.

Answer for #3: I don’t get the question.

Answer for #4:I learned that when you combined water and salt it forms a mixture but is a solution the same as a mixture?

Answer for #5: Well it helps me understand salt because when you put the salt in water if you leave it alone for a wile the salt will evaporate so a propertie in the salt makes it evaporate.

1.When salt and water were combined most of the salt went to the bottom of the water but when you stir it up all of the salt dissolved.

2.The salt dissolved on to the water so you couldn’t see it, but the water didn’t change much.

3. I didn’t think that the measurement helped me describe the changes.

4. I learned that the salt and water is hard to separate with a filter, but it is easy to separate them by evaporating the water.

5.It helps you because the salt has some properties that you have to put in water to find out.

· What did you observe when the salt and water were combined? The cup became clear as if the salt had never been there.

· How did the water and the salt change when they were combined in the cup? The water became opaque and then cleared. Also it became a solution.

· How did measurement help you describe the changes? It became heaver.

· What have you learned about the properties of salt when you add it to water? Salt dissolves.

· How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water? Water dissolves a lot.

1. I observed that when the salt and water were combined, when we stirred the mixture, the salt dissolved.

2. How the water and the salt changed when they were combined is that they come together into a solution.

3. Measurement helped describe the changes because we figured out that when the salt was dissolved into the water the water weighed more.

4. We learned that one of the properties of salt when you add it to water is that it dissolves.

5. Experimenting with a solution of salt and water helps us to understand the properties of salt and water because what they do when they are combined is a property.

I saw the salt dissolve when it was mixed into the water. Though you have to stir the water and salt for a wile if you don’t then the salt will sink to the bottom of the water. If you don’t stir the salt to much the water will be cloudy.

The water if you could taste it would be saltier now than before the salt was added. Also the water got heavier which we proved during one of our experiments. One of the ways the salt changed in the water was the salt dissolved and disappeared in the water.

One of the ways measurement helped to find the weight when we measured the weight of the water and found a difference in-between the water and salt in water.

I learned that when you stirred the water with salt in it it turned cloudy first instead of just dissolving.

It helps you understand some things about them that you might not have known even if you have done this before because you might not have experimented and observed at such a level.

· The water was almost clear. But if to you looked at it from up close you can see parts of the salt in the cup.

When the salt and the water where mixed .the water changed from clear to more fogy and the salt was less visible.

· The measurement me because it helped me get my answers and it showed how much it weighed.

Its wet and it is salty and It can bleed throw paper.

· How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water? It helps me understand that to be a solution it has to be able to be separated

We didn’t really observe it.

It didn’t really change.

I don’t now.

Nothing really changed so I don’t now.

How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water? It doesn’t because when it mixes you can’t tell.

The stuff in red is what I wrote.

It dissolved.

They were only combined in a cup.

It actually doesn’t for me.

I saw the salt start to fog up when it hits the water.

I imagine the water tasted like salt water and the salt started to fog up.

IT DIDIN’T

I REVIEWED that salt dissolves in water.

IT DOSIN’T.

What did you observe when the salt and water were combined

I noticed that when the salt and water were combined and stirred the salt dissolved into the water and it made it heaver but not fully because if you evaporated the water from the container there would be the salt that you put in before. So it’s both a mixture and a solution since a mixture is two different pieces of matter put together to make a mixture. A solution is ether two different liquids mixed into one liquid or a liquid mixed with a solid and the solid dissolves.

The salt changed the water because the salt dissolved and made the water salty. Also when the salt dissolved it made the water slightly cloudy. Another way the salt changed the water is when my team and I put the salt in the water it got heaver then before.

1. I was observing the scale and seeing if it was level.

2. The weight of the water changed.

3. The measurement helped because the weight changed and if we didn’t use measurement we couldn’t have seen the changed variable!!

4. One of the properties I learned was that salt in water is a mixture and a solution. I also learned the weight of the salt water 54grams Well that’s what my table group got!

5. Well we are looking at the things we are experimenting on a lot closer than we care in day-to-day life.

• What did you observe when the salt and water were combined? A: For about a minute the water looked kind of dusty but after we stirred the salt it dissolved and the water got clear.

• How did the water and the salt change when they were combined in the cup? A: For about a minute the water got cloudy and dusty.

• How did measurement help you describe the changes? A: It didn’t

• What have you learned about the properties of salt when you add it to water? A: First, the water gets cloudy and dusty, then when you keep stirring it the sat dissolves and it turns into salt-water.

• How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water? A: Now I know that when you put salt in water ou dont have to stir it for it to dissolve.

What I observed when the salt and water was combined was that the water was still clear , but the water was not as clear as water alone.

The measurement helped me by telling me how much 5cc of salt and 50 mL of water weighs.

The property of the salt when it is combined with the water is that it does not completely dissolve.

Well the water was clear but when the salt went in it got all cloudy

the h.2.o. get’s clear

·

The salt slowly starts to dissolve and a solution starts to be formed.

You could measure how much less salt weighed after it was put in water.

Salt dissolves and it gradually starts to weigh less.

• How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water?

Awnsers:

Q.1  The salt dissolved in the water when I mixed them.

Q.2  The water stayed the same but the salt disappeared.

Q.3  It showed me that the salt was really there.

Q.4  I learned that salt dissolves when put in water.

Q.5  We learned that salt is a solute and that water is a solvent.

When mixed, the 5cc of salt dissolved in the 50 ml. water, and the water weighed 3 grams more.

A little bit of it dissolved after that the rest bunched up at the bottom

· How did the water and the salt change when they were combined in

· It didn’t realy do any thing but the salt dissolved What did you observe when the salt and water were combined?

It didn’t realy do any thing but the salt dissolved

· It helped me tell if it dissolved

·

Well the salt dissolved when it hits the water

Sorry I forgot what a solution is

· It helped me tell if it dissolved

·

Sorry I forgot what a solution is

1The salt dissolved in the water and the water got a little foggy.

2 I watched the salt dissolve in the water for about ten seconds.

I observed that the water is almost completely clear. I couldn’t see very well when I was looking at my fingers on the bottom of the cup.

Well…you could barely see the salt and the water was a bit cloudy. I put my finger in it and I felt awkward particles in the water.

When I stirred the salt and water together, the salt almost completely dissolved into the water. Only some tiny particles swirled at the bottom. But that probably was because I didn’t stir long enough. It could also have been that I put in too much salt, or too little water.

They nearly turned into a solution, (Instead, it was a mixture - it probably would have turned all the way into a solution if I stirred it longer) and together, they got at least 1g heavier.

Measurement is a lot more accurate that trying to describe it with regular words. You could say ‘It weighed a lot more’, but the person you are describing your results to might misunderstand you.

I learned that salt dissolves in water, but if there is too much salt, the water will hold as much as it can, and there will be some salt crystals at the bottom that could not fit in with the others. I also learned that salt is denser than water, because the salt sinks to the bottom, before dissolving.

You could discover that ‘dissolving in water’ is a property of salt with water. It would be impossible to find that property without using water. There are many properties like that.

·How did the water and the salt change when they were combined in the cup?

They changed by gaining weight.

First we measured the 50 ml’s of water, and then we compared that to the 50 ml’s of water with the 5 cc’s of salt stirred into it, so we knew how many grams the salt added to the water.

What did you observe when the salt and water were combined.

I observed that when the salt first got mixed with the water was sort of cloudy. Then when we mixed the water with a straw it mixes then dissolves. Then I realized that the salt and water just combine and can be filtered out through filter paper.

I saw the salt absorb into the water.

A: When the salt and the water were combined, most of the salt dissolved, but at first you could still see some salt on the bottom of the cup.

A: When you mix salt and water together good enough, the salt dissolves so that you can’t see it.

1. What did you observe when the salt and the water were combined?

2. How did the salt and water change when they were combined in the cup?

3. How did measurement help you describe the changes?

4. What have you learned about the properties of salt when you add it to water?

5. How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water?

Answers:

To #1: I observed that the salt dissolved into the water when stirred. With no stirring, it sat there.

To #2: The salt became invisible when combined with the water, but nothing else happened.

To #3: I measured the amount of salt and water, so I could be accurate when reporting what happened.

To #4: I have learned that salt becomes invisible when stirred in water, but is still there.

To #5: It helps by showing you the properties of salt when combined with water.

One of the properties of salt is that if you put it in water is dissolves. And the water turns cloudy.

When the salt and the water were mixed together, most of the salt dissolved but some of the salt just sunk to the bottom of the cup, another something that happened was, the salt made the water just the slightest bit foggy.

The mixture was cloudy at first and then, once stirred, became a clear solution.

When the salt was added there was a cloudy substance made. As you stirred and dissolved the salt there was only a few crystals at the bottom of the cup. This made the salt seem to change from a solid to a liquid, but really dissolved.

When salt and water were combined it made a solution because it was made of more than one item and it was clear. There was a little bit of salt that you could see on the bottom, but it was hard to see.

The salt dissolved into the water making it a little bit heavier.

Some of the properties of a salt and water solution are: (these aren’t the real names for them)

Dissovlvation, strain ability, and bubblebility

I noticed that the salt dissolved, and the only way you could ever see the salt again is if you let the water evaporate!

The way they changed was you could not see the salt. You could only see the water!

You can’t see the salt.

· The salt went to the bottom of the cup until you stirred it, then it dissolved. If you put enough salt in it either took a while to dissolve or it didn’t dissolve at all.

· The salt made the water slightly foggy until it settled down or got stirred up. The salt “disappeared” or dissolved when stirred enough.

· Measurement helped by telling if the water weighed more or the water level went up.

The salt made water foggy but when you stir the water for a little bit the salt will dissolved.

Well the salt dissolved in the water and made a solution but we never mixed it enough so there was always a little bit of salt but when we put it through the filter all that you could see were bubbles.

Well the salt changed because you could barely see it and the water got bubbles after a round through the filter.

I will not answer this one

It has the property of dissolve you cannot see after you stir it enough in water.

Because some properties you can only see when it is mixed with something else.

#1 Q: What did you observe when the salt and water were combined?

A: I observed that at first the salt sank to the bottom, which means that salt, is denser than water. Then once after the salt sank to the bottom it started to slowly dissolve. After at most 5 minutes the salt had completely dissolved. And that is what I observed when the 5cc’s of salt was poured into 50 mL’s of water.

#2 Q: How did the water and salt change when they were combined in the cup?

A: When the 5cc’s of salt was added to the 50 mL’s of water the salt sank to the bottom of the cup which means that salt, is denser than water. Then once after the salt sank to the bottom it started to slowly dissolve. After at most 5 minutes the salt had completely dissolved. And that is what I learned after In experienced salt and water combining.

#3 Q: What have you learned about the properties of salt when you add it to water?

A: I learned that salt is denser than water because the salt sank to the bottom of the cup. I also learned that salt is also dissolvable unlike a rock the salt had completely dissolved after 5 minutes. What I learned was that salt is dissolvable and dissolvability is a property of salt.

By: L.M.

Q: What did you observe when the salt and water were combined?

A: Well, of course the salt dissolved overtime, but it did not dissolve immediately, only after stirring for a couple of minutes. At first, it would turn milky white, and then gradually get more translucent until it was just as clear as water by itself.

Q: How did the water and the salt change when they were combined in the cup?

A: The salt changed by dissolving and becoming invisible in the cup once it was mixed in well. The water changed by becoming a solution with salt instead of just water with nothing other than water in it.

Q: How did measurement help you describe the changes?

A: Measurement helped describe the changes to the water and salt because the solution and the plain water were different weights. When the salt was not added, the water weighed fifty grams. When it was made as solution by adding the salt, it weighed more than fifty grams. Then we could tell the water changed.

Q: What have you learned about the properties of salt when you add it to water?

A: By putting something in water, you can learn at least one new property of the material. With salt, we learned that it dissolves when you put it in the water, which means you can no longer see it. It also means that you cannot separate the two things by using a screen filter or a coffee filter.

Q: How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water?

A: There are three things that you can do with something to find a new property. You can observe, (using your five senses) measure, and experiment. Using one of those things, you will be able to find a new property of the object you are investigating. Therefore, when we experimented with salt in water, we found that one property of salt is that it dissolves.

Most of the salt dissolved.

·         What did you observe when the salt and water were combined?

I observed that if you stirred enough the salt would dissolve leaving slightly cloudy water, but if you did not stir that much the salt would not dissolve and the water would be much cloudier.

·         How did the water and the salt change when they were combined in the cup?

The water turned cloudier and the salt dissolved.

·         How did measurement help you describe the changes?

The water with the salt in it was a tiny bit heavier than the water without the salt.

·         What have you learned about the properties of salt when you add it to water?

Salt dissolves, and salt makes the water heavier and cloudier.

·         How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water?

You are changing the variables, and you can discover how the salt or water changes, and those would be new properties.

When I just dumped the salt in the water the salt sank straight to the bottom meaning that the density was more than water.  When I stirred the water though, the salt started to turn into a solution.

They turned into a solution which means that the salt dissolved so that you could no longer see the particles and the water was clear/see through. 

Well there is not that big of a way to describe the changes but I think the water probably rose a little bit because more mass plus mass equals a bigger bit of mass and that is something I could measure.  Another thing I could measure or that helped me measure was that the salt particles went from about 2or 3 millimeters to microscopic so that you could not see them anymore and that you knew that the mixture was also a solution.

When you just plain dump salt into water it stays in the same circumstances as it started in, but when you mix it with water it turns into a solution.

It helps you because a property is something that you can recognize any mass or object by and so salt turning into a solution is a way to recognize salt and therefore it is a property and that property can lead to more and more and more properties.

How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water?

Answer: because by experimenting I learn the crushing properties and the properties it has in water. Also you might discover a really cool properties like the m+m’s when you put them in water it creates a die circle when the color die fades off the m+m.

1. What did you observe when the salt and water were combined?

When you combined salt and water the salt dissolves witch makes a solution.

2. How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water?

Experimenting helps with salt so you can cheek your answer. If I didn’t do an experiment I wouldn’t be able to cheek my answer.

Question :   What did you observe when the salt and water were combined?

Answer :      I observed that they formed a solution because the salt dissolved.  

When you combine salt and water than the water gets cloudy, but the salt dissolves. If you set the cup with dissolved salt and water down, and leave it alone for a couple days, you will see the salt again.

• 1 What did you observe when the salt and water were combined?

• 2 How did the water and the salt change when they were combined in the cup?

• 3 How did measurement help you describe the changes?

• 4 What have you learned about the properties of salt when you add it to water?

• 5 How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water?

1-When the salt and water were combined the salt dissolved into the water, forming a solution.

2-They formed a solution and became heavier.

3-I was able to explain how much of each I mixed together and the difference in weight.

4-The salt dissolves and adds weight to the water.

5-It tells me what some of the properties are.

The salt would go to the bottom and if you stirred it, it would dissolve!

The salt dissolved in the water!

It helps me with the sinking property and the dissolve property

1. when the was in the water it made a mixture. and when the salt disoved in the water it made a solution.

5 How does experimenting with a solution of salt and water help you to understand the properties of salt and/or water?

5 lots of things disov in water and salt is one of them. and a propertie of water is that things can disov in water.

The water stayed clear but the salt fell to the bottom. After string the salt in the water for a wile the salt dissolves but the salt is still there!!

Well the salt dissolved in the water and made the water salty.

• The salt dissolved into water and created a solution.

The salt dissolved and turned the water a little cloudy.

The water turned cloudy.

Measurement helped me because when we mixed the water and salt the weight increased by some grams.

When the salt and water combined at first the salt just sat at the bottom of the cup then after we stirred it, the salt dissolved and the water became clear.

I learned that one of the properties of salt when mixed with water is that it dissolves. When it is mixed with the water the salt particles fill in the space between the water molecules and you can not see it any more. This is called dissolving.

HF

Salt dissolves when it gets put in the water.

·How did measurement help you describe the changes?

The 5cc tablespoon helped me by being almost exactly the way the materials are in the water. We measured exactly the way the salt was supposed to be in the water.

I observed the salt dissolve relatively fast.

The salt broke up into microscopic pieces, which caused it to disappear from view, and the water developed a large concentrate of salt.

It helped me describe the changes because I could describe how much of the salt I saw when it dissolved.

I learned that salt completely dissolves in water if there is enough of the water (I already knew this)

It helped me understand how fast salt dissolves, which is really fast.

Measurement helped me describe the changes by letting me observe things that I did not know that could be measured, experimented, and making me think outside the box.

This week Ms. Conlon and Ms. Mueller are asking you to share your scientific thinking. Please answer one or more of the following questions to share with our learning community. Don't forget to use complete sentences and give examples from your experiments!