Copyright (c) 2014 by xosdhox Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
xosdhox -- Blogmeister

These Words Are My Own.....

Eighth Grade 2008-2009

Reading responses in Mrs. Paul's classroom can be an adventure. Creativity is encouraged and possibilities are based on multiple intelligences.

by xosdhox

teacher: Marilyn Paul

Hey,

I have recently finished Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer. This was a really great book, that surprised me in many ways. One way was how real the characters seemed to be, despite the fact that the book was about vampires. In the back of the book where it describes the author, she said, ďIíve always admired the ability of some authors to create situations of impossible fantasy and then add characters that are so deeply human that their perspectives make the situation believable. I hope Twilight offers readers the same experience.Ē It was kind of weird, because I felt that exact way about this book, even before I read what she had to say. I think she is an incredible writer, to not only create that image for the main character, but for all of them. And I must say, there were quite a few characters in this book.
Another way it surprised me was how many different genres were mixed into this one book. Not many authors can pull this off; it can get confusing and make the reader feel as if the author is trying too hard to fit everything in. But Stephenie combined action, science fiction, romance and life as a teen all into one book seamlessly.
There was only one thing about this book that I didnít like; they gave away the book on the back! It says in the blurb about the book on the back cover ďAbout three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him- and I didnít know how dominant that part might be- the thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.Ē This irritated me very much, because you donít find out any of those things until at least page 50!
One thing that I usually donít like in a book, didnít bother at all with Twilight. This book was pretty predictable, in some aspects; you knew Edward would never betray Bella, but I actually liked having that security in this book. Iím not sure why, I think because they were such a good couple together, though you would never had guessed it in the beginning. I think one of my favorites parts of the book were their conversations together. They were constantly arguing, but you could tell that it just made them like each other even more.
But, I think my all time favorite part in the whole book was the ending. Sometimes itís hard to wrap up such a long book and some authors take forever to tie off all the loose ends and others just finish off the book too quickly and leave you hanging. Stephanie finished the book perfectly, in my opinion. I wonít give it away but it was exactly what I expected and hoped would happen. I would have wanted the same thing as Bella, and made the same decision. It kind of reminded me of Tuck Everlasting, but I donít want to say any more than that because I really think you should read this book! If you do, tell me what you think of it, especially the ending!

--Sarah--

Article posted November 30, 2005 at 03:33 PM • comment • Reads 158 • see all articles